Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive only seen 104 mph trap speeds for new evo's. sti's are down in the 99-102 range and older evo's. kina humbles mee though since i only trapped 104 in the 1/4 but hey i paid alot less for mine
Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Whacha got?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XakEp
Thats about the stupidest excuse I've ever heard. AWD by itself generates no power whatsoever. NONE. The engine still has to make the power to get the car into the 13s. Thanks to the power curve and gearing its able to perform quite well in the 1/4, not because of the AWD system.

The AWD setup is because the car is first a rally racer. It was designed for it from the bottom up - an EVO IX would spank you silly around a road course (or heaven forbid an offroad course) six ways from sunday. They also do well in a drag race. Big whoop dee doo.
Man you must be the dumbest person on this whole site. You always, always have some stupid ricer excuse for everything, no matter who or what it may involve, or how wrong you may be.

Where did anyone say that AWD generates power?? Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ***?? What I said was AWD drivetrains have a higher parasitic loss than RWD cars, most are between 20-25%. Meaning only about 75%-80% of the power is actually getting to the ground. It performs well in the 1/4 mile because it can come off the line quickly due to the AWD launch. That shaves almost a full second off the ET right there, making it a low 13 second car instead of a high 13/low 14 second car, which is what it would be with FWD.

Also stop it with the EVO is only in the 13s because of AWD, my first trip to the drag strip was pretty bad as far as launching, I got out launched by a SRT-4 on street tires But I still was hitting 13s, all EVOs usually trap over 100mph and that is an indication of power.
Hey clueless - trap speeds of 100MPH are good for about 14.0 second pass, nothing more. The reason the Evo is in the low 13's is because of the AWD launch, nothing more.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Ive heard the "Evo and STI are only good from a dig" argument before never found out if thats true
Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Man you must be the dumbest person on this whole site. You always, always have some stupid ricer excuse for everything, no matter who or what it may involve, or how wrong you may be.

Where did anyone say that AWD generates power?? Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ***?? What I said was AWD drivetrains have a higher parasitic loss than RWD cars, most are between 20-25%. Meaning only about 75%-80% of the power is actually getting to the ground. It performs well in the 1/4 mile because it can come off the line quickly due to the AWD launch. That shaves almost a full second off the ET right there, making it a low 13 second car instead of a high 13/low 14 second car, which is what it would be with FWD.

Hey clueless - trap speeds of 100MPH are good for about 14.0 second pass, nothing more. The reason the Evo is in the low 13's is because of the AWD launch, nothing more.
Again, how does having a drivetrain that sucks 25% of your power mean you'll be running faster? Youre basically saying that gearing your car for its best performance is to be looked down on somehow. What are you, retarded?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Again, how does having a drivetrain that sucks 25% of your power mean you'll be running faster? Youre basically saying that gearing your car for its best performance is to be looked down on somehow. What are you, retarded?
No, but its pretty obvious by now that you are, and very much so

I didn't even mention gearing you clownass. I was referring solely to the AWD drivetrain. Gearing has very little to do with parasitic loss, the AWD system is where the Evo and STi lose close to 25% of their power.

I can't believe I'm stating the obvious here, but I guess you are just that damn stupid: The AWD system allows you to get off the line faster (by close to a full second) because there is no wheelspin, the car just launches hard and goes from there. They put down about 240WHP, which would llow the car to run about a 14.2, and then the AWD luanch cuts off the other .7 - 1.0 seconds.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Are you just choosing to ignore everything I posted about the IX, about the power my car and others are making on a 3200Lbs or less frame. Shut the f*ck up until you get a clue. You talk about us EVO owners jumping to irrelevant sh*t, but honestly look at you, what the f*ck does your post have to do with my race, other than clearly displaying your inability to read my earlier posts.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 AM
Teching In

I can't believe I'm stating the obvious here, but I guess you are just that damn stupid: The AWD system allows you to get off the line faster (by close to a full second) because there is no wheelspin, the car just launches hard and goes from there. They put down about 240WHP, which would llow the car to run about a 14.2, and then the AWD luanch cuts off the other .7 - 1.0 seconds.
Also stop with the hypothetical BS, you have no idea what the EVO would run without AWD, it might not launch as hard, but it would be much lighter, so who knows. Also 240WHP, what car is making 240WHP, not my car, best not, or I have the weakest IX in the country, oh I get it, your talking about irrelevent sh*t again aren't you
Old 03-22-2006, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Whacha got?

Was this a question for me?? If so its just a big turbo SRT4.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

No, but its pretty obvious by now that you are, and very much so

I didn't even mention gearing you clownass. I was referring solely to the AWD drivetrain. Gearing has very little to do with parasitic loss, the AWD system is where the Evo and STi lose close to 25% of their power.

I hate to break this to you, but your gears are part of the AWD system. So unless you can explain how gears ARENT part of your drivetrain, youre going to have to shut the **** up.

The Mitsu engineers knew the AWD system would have greater parasitic loss, so they compensated for it with a little more aggressive gearing. They already knew that the AWD system didnt have the problem of traction to worry about.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another benchracing thread that needs to be locked.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSmonitor
98Z28MASS-

Oh yeah and my last post was in no way address directly to you, so don't take it personal.

Haha hey man no problem, I completely understand/agree with what your saying. Plenty of EVO's out there making great power, especially since they have only been in the US for a few years for US speed shops to experiement with. It just seems that the AMS EVO, which again is extremely well built and impressive, seems to be the car that a good amount of EVO owners turn to when anyone posts a kill on an EVO by an LSx powered car. I have 5 close friends with modded EVO's, 3 of which can walk my z28 pretty easily, and one of the guys dad has a 500 awhp MR (Upgraded turbo manifold, large turbo, turboback, wga, bigger intercooler and piping, stand alone fuel system, etc) so I respect the cars and what they can do with minial modifications so its definately not like an ego thing, it just gets kind of annoying when someone posts a kill where say a bolt on or Heads/Cam LSx car beats a modded EVO, the response from some EVO owners/fans is "well he should race the AMS EVO and it would be a different story!" Anyways though good races with the camaro and any mods your looking at in the future for your EVO IV?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Was this a question for me?? If so its just a big turbo SRT4.
Why did you get rid of the SS for that?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE

Financial reasons.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE
Dude, look at his sig carefully...

Can't you see he's very sad about that?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BSmonitor
Are you just choosing to ignore everything I posted about the IX, about the power my car and others are making on a 3200Lbs or less frame. Shut the f*ck up until you get a clue. You talk about us EVO owners jumping to irrelevant sh*t, but honestly look at you, what the f*ck does your post have to do with my race, other than clearly displaying your inability to read my earlier posts.
I couldn't give less of a rats *** what you posted about the "Evo IX", its not anything like the supercar you are making it out to be. You claim your car dynos much than 240WHP?? Wheres the proof?? Or did you just pull that out of your *** too??

If you like what people on this site have to say out your 4-banger family sedan factory rice Evo then get the **** out. This is LS1 Tech, not the Itchypussy aka Mitsubishi fanboy site

Also stop with the hypothetical BS, you have no idea what the EVO would run without AWD, it might not launch as hard, but it would be much lighter, so who knows. Also 240WHP, what car is making 240WHP, not my car, best not, or I have the weakest IX in the country, oh I get it, your talking about irrelevent sh*t again aren't you
Really?? Well, actually its pretty easy to make an accurate estimate of its ET and trap speed based on its weight and HP. And a FWD car weighing 3200lbs with 280HP should run about a 13.8-14.0.

Maybe your just really stupid, but its impossible for an engine to dyno the same HP at the wheels as its making at the crank, especially in an AWD car with about 25% drivetrain loss
Old 03-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Really?? Well, actually its pretty easy to make an accurate estimate of its ET and trap speed based on its weight and HP. And a FWD car weighing 3200lbs with 280HP should run about a 13.8-14.0.
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how many 280HP FWD cars have you owned?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how many 280HP FWD cars have you owned?
What the **** difference does it make??

I've never owned one and I would never want to, nor would I ever want to own a factory rice 4-door with a huge wing like an Evo or Sti
Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the **** difference does it make??

I've never owned one and I would never want to, nor would I ever want to own a factory rice 4-door with a huge wing like an Evo or Sti

Are you even old enough to own/drive a car? Judging from your comments sounds like your about 10 years old.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Are you even old enough to own/drive a car? Judging from your comments sounds like your about 10 years old.
Who are you to judge anyone?? I'm 19 years old, plenty old enough to drive, I have my license, and I drive an LS1. So STFU.

Quick Reply: 2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS