Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got 8 by a M3!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ms do well at higher speeds where they get into longer gears that help them stay right around their power peak longer. It is a pretty awesome motor. 3.2L and about 330HP. they have gearing from hell for a stock car too. Kinda like Machs

They did have some problems with the E46 motor, bottom ends cracking up actually, but BMW was very classy about it and fixed the probs. AFAIK it was quality controll issue for some motors.

They dont have the mid-range of the LS1 (about 260ish TQ last I checked) but they can launch like a **** for an IRS car. The SMG ones have that launch controll. (Which voids the warranty if you do it more than 3 times, lame) It allows for a very very nice launch without being John Force.

Check your plug gaps and such, do all the reg maitenance, and run him again from other speeds and a dig and I bet you get a different outcome or at least a tie, sounds like you guys are close. Some rear end gears would take away his aggressive gearing advantage a bit too.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I was on my way to school around 7AM when I see this newer model M3. I know its the latest model though like a 03. I pull next to him and he just stares at me. Next thing you know he's riding my ***, so I smash on it and I could see I'm slowly pulling, but I slow down because of traffic. So he's still riding my *** when we get a good stretch up ahead. He gets in the left lane and he smashes on it and I'm in 3rd so I smash too(waited for the line up ) Instead smashes by and I'm on it and I'm at his rear bumper and it stays like that even when I hit 4th then I can't top 4th because of railroad tracks up ahead. Damn! He won though exactly by 1 car. FAST CAR and very NICE! If we lined them up from a roll and took off at the same time would I have won? Because I really underestimated THESE M3's. kinda disappointed that I lost, but I gave him his props. Do you think I would have caught up if we kept going up to higher speeds? SILVER CLEAN M3 that took me and now I want some revenge. Good race though! He sure surprised me
I wouldn't call that a win. It's the coward way. It's kind of like weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
M3's have a straight six. Pretty sick cars. Rev to 8k. Fancy too.
I knew that had straight six's. Just didn't add that. Still 6 cylinders.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran one from a 60 roll he wasnt too happy with results.

Losses happen though, good run.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
They sure are one of the prettiest cars out there
right a plain jane lookin sports sedan.... ok
Old 03-22-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
Well In my opinion I think they look better than any f-body!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Dude, it's not an in your face viper/f-body/nsx/exotic. That's not it's intent. It's supposed to be subtle, sporty styling.

Think Oscar De La Hoya in a three piece suit, not Michael Clark Duncun in a guinny tee

You may not gravitate towards it's styling, or it might not illicite an emotional reaction from you, a la a Gallardo, but you certainly can't say it's a BAD looking car ...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

You may be dissapointed, but I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with the fact that his 40K+ BMW couldn't pull your Chevy...
Old 03-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Teching In

You don't buy a nice 40k+ BMW for the speed. I doubt any M3 owner would be dissapointed for not beating a LS1.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

^Depends on the owner LOL.

Anyway, I was just thinking, the next M3 and the next Camaro might be a good matchup. The next F-body will be a good chassis, GM knows it has to be now. I think we can count on Lutzs influence to see to that. So it could be real interesting on the road course.

On the strip, the LS will have the torque sure, but the M will have some really aggressive gearing and tons of hi-rev torque.

Bench racing I know, but you have to admit it will be fun to watch.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mastrhu
You don't buy a nice 40k+ BMW for the speed. I doubt any M3 owner would be dissapointed for not beating a LS1.
Let me guess then, you buy a performance car like the M3 for the gas mileage? No wait, I know, you buy it for the luggage space.
Point of my post is that there are cases where someone with money buys a car like an M3 thinking it's the fasting thing out there and will probably get pissed when a car that he looks down on stays right next to him.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are very nice quick cars,
Iwas on 1-75 and see one weaving in and out of traffic behind me and he passes me, so I switched lanes to a clear one and took off,
well, he decided to cut me off and floor it in front of me,
so I floor it behind him, from about 70, and I'm slowly start gaining on him towards 120mph, well my wife's yells at me and tells me to slow down, but
he kept going and going,

well, 2 miles down the road I see that FHP's finest has someone pulled over and it's, guess who?

Mr M3, and the trooper does not too happy with him.
BTW, that right there is the reason I will not get a remote bottle opener,
waaayyyyy too tempting!

pat
Old 03-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

I love smoking M3s in my area, always young rich kids. I raced what sounded like a turbo M3 cause I heard a blow off valve, that was the quickest one, but I still got him on the 91 on the way to Newport.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

more mods
Old 03-26-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raced one on Collins one night. He was doing a fly by and I made the mistake of not downshifting into 2nd. I did catch up, but you shouldn't underestimate the car.
Had another one try a fly by on the highway but I was more prepared, wound him in and then passed him. He wouldn't come up for another try.

01 ss with H/C and all the rest of the stuff.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Raced a neighbor about a year ago. It was late at night and as I exited the freeway, I see these "O" ring headlights come up behind me pretty fast, so I figured it was a 5 or 7 series BMW. We exit, and I start to cruise up the mountain toward the houses, so he passes me, and I see its a M3. He eases ahead, but then lets off the gas and drops back next to me like he wants some. I ignore him, so then he pulls ahead, and "waits" for me at the upcoming stop sign. I wasnt really in the mood, but its almost like he's calling me out. (or maybe its my imagination) I think this guy is looking for a race, so I quietly coast up to the stop sign in nuetral. He looks over at me as I stop. I think WTF, lets go! I light up the tires, and we leave together. His front fender is at my door, and stays even there thru first gear! Now I'm thinking "Uh Oh"! I bark the tires going into second and he drops back to my bumper, and continues to fall back. As I hit third, hes about 2 cars back now! Im deep into third now, and our two lanes are about to turn into one shortly, and theres a slower moving car in the way (which I pass like an idiot, and he stays behind it). I wait at the next stop sign for him to pull up, (and wait for my clutch pedal to come back up off the floor: this is a day after I did the drill mod) He comes up, and I realize its an Asian kid (about 25) thats a neighbor from about 2 houses down the street from me. Its a silver '04 M3 with 19 inch five spokes and tinted glass. ( I seriously considered buying a '03 M3 when I bought this car, but I can't mod it and make the payments so I stuck with my first love) I say nice car man: he says thats a fast car, is that a Trans Am? I smile, and say no its a Camaro; then he says what kind of engine is in it? I say LS1. He has a blank look on his face, so I say it's the same engine as a Corvette, only slower. He says, "I wasnt really ready back there at the stop sign". I think "yeah right", but I just smile. Then he wants to go back to the freeway, but I break it off cause its late, I gotta go. We compliment the cars again, and drive off. Never talked to him again, cause he sold his house a couple months later. Think it would have been closer if I was stock.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

They're nice cars, a real good run for a stock LS. I'd like to see the new M3, 4 liter 415hp and the handling of a BMW.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

1995 M3 Performance #'s
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 6.1 sec. Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3 liters Base Engine Type: Inline 6
Horsepower: 240 hp Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm
Torque: 225 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4250 rpm
Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 38 ft.

ok ok, looking good so far....

1999 M3 Performance #'s
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.6 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 119 ft.
Road Holding Index: .88 g Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters Base Engine Type: Inline 6
Horsepower: 240 hp Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm
Torque: 236 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 3800 rpm
Drive Type: RWD

ok, starting to get shaky, still ok though...

2003 M3 Performance #'s
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 112 ft.
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 6 Horsepower: 333 hp
Max Horsepower: 7900 rpm Torque: 262 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4900 rpm Drive Type: RWD
Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

****! This is bad for me, my 0-60 is 5.2

2005 M3 Performance #'s
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 112 ft.
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 6 Horsepower: 333 hp
Max Horsepower: 7900 rpm Torque: 262 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4900 rpm Drive Type: RWD
Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

whew! close call, didnt change much.... errr at all.
Anyone have used Ported LT1 heads and LT4 cam for sale!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

E46 M3s are awesome cars no doubt. Just one of those cars that amazes me and I don't know why.

Stock for stock they should run pretty close with an LS1 F-body, but with the edge going to the M3. However, those things have pretty crappy aftermarkets. There aren't many ways to squeeze more hp out of an engine with over 100bhp/liter. And not many BMW owners will mod their cars in the first place. I always thought the M3 deserved a V8, or at least a V8 option, but I think an M5 V8 in the E46 would be amazing, I'm not a big fan of the E90s at all.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Actually they're coupes