Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

wtf is with supra guys?!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IlEagle
You'd be very suprised.... that is not true anymore. It just takes the right kind of pocketbook to play in the Supra world.

Refer to Titan Motorsports in Dallas and Sound Performance in Chicago. That is only 2 shops - there's plenty more.

Both have single digit shop cars, and have a complete arsenal of customer street/strip cars cars that will do single digits all day long.
i know that who dosent know them?... i mean yea Kean ****, Ryan Woon,Ken Henderson all those guys i know they dragrace, its just regular supra owners that dont have an unlimited amount of money usualy dont build them to drag race, i did go to every 2k6 event...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_passat
i know that who dosent know them?... i mean yea Kean ****, Ryan Woon,Ken Henderson all those guys i know they dragrace, its just regular supra owners that dont have an unlimited amount of money usualy dont build them to drag race, i did go to every 2k6 event...
Ken is not a drag racer at all. Doesnt take a bunch of money to drag race and turn good times. Just tires, suspension tweaks and practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Im just saying they do dragrace, i just think the car is better for the highways, in my opinion i would build the car for the highway, but still have a way to dig race, cause i would love to beat a car from a dig as well,i plan on going auto with a built boost logic tranny so it can handle 700-750 hp, with a 3800 stall. I just think people stereotype supras way to much...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

FearSm, your car is awesome! I love the silver and tasteful bodykit (I sold a 92 vr4 to get my vette, vr4 was only bpu, somewhere around 290awhp), and I have alot of respect for the vr4's biggest and ultimately faster rival, the supra. I wasn't saying supra's have trouble hooking up, but I was thinking that it takes longer for a 3.0 liter to spool a large turbo than it would a5.7 lsx engine.

Would a single turbo vette and a single turbo supra w/ same hp and suspension and drivers being equal, who would win?

this is one of those necessary benchracing moments and its for a scientific experiment to discover the spool up time required by two different engines.

oh and why not rollrace, if not for illegal and dangerous reasons, bc isn't it true that the supra's best ability is hi-speed rollracing? How fast have yuo had her in a race?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE
FearSm, your car is awesome! I love the silver and tasteful bodykit (I sold a 92 vr4 to get my vette, vr4 was only bpu, somewhere around 290awhp), and I have alot of respect for the vr4's biggest and ultimately faster rival, the supra. I wasn't saying supra's have trouble hooking up, but I was thinking that it takes longer for a 3.0 liter to spool a large turbo than it would a5.7 lsx engine.

Would a single turbo vette and a single turbo supra w/ same hp and suspension and drivers being equal, who would win?

this is one of those necessary benchracing moments and its for a scientific experiment to discover the spool up time required by two different engines.

oh and why not rollrace, if not for illegal and dangerous reasons, bc isn't it true that the supra's best ability is hi-speed rollracing? How fast have yuo had her in a race?

Everything being equal including the driver then my money would be on the vette. Its lighter. It does take longer for a 3.0 to spool but its all about being in your powerband. If you car makes power at 4500 then get the revs up to there and keep them there and you wont have a problem. I do roll race, I just dont start at speeds that high. Highest usually is 60-70 and thats when I am racing bikes. I have had my 6 spd up to 180+ and this current auto up to 160+.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbo_passat

You do know that? Then why are you claiming most people don't build them to be drag cars?

Show me a couple shops that STRICTLY build Supra's to become just road race cars. Or JUST show cars... ANYTHING without having drag racing in mind.

And no, Ryan Woon and friends are NOT the only ones with fast Supra's.

I can think of 2 within 20 minutes of me that are bolt on cars and will run circles around 95% of the locals. Turbo kit, fuel system, supporting mods, stall = 10's alll day long.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

guys.. I didnt start this to be a bitch fit. I just wanna know how would I do against him...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
guys.. I didnt start this to be a bitch fit. I just wanna know how would I do against him...
From a roll you will lose. From a dig you will pull ahead if he has problems putting the power down but he will eventually run you down. If he has a auto then you all toast all the way around.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen supras pull twin turbo vipers making 1000hp. I have also seen a Lingenfelter(sp) vette making 800rwhp lose to a supra by 3 car lengths. There aren't to many cars on the road today with equal hp, that can hang with a supra from a roll. The gearing in those cars are amazing.

Down here at the supra national a couple of weeks ago, there where some cars that went to Corpus Christi for the mile run. There is a wide open track that use to be a base for the military(where planes land). Anyway, there where quite a few cars that where doing standing 1 mile runs. The fastest car there was a supra, that ran 204mph. That is fast as hell considering you only have one mile to do it in.

Show me 5 videos of highly modified supras losing from a roll against a vette or viper or any other car for that fact.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^
from a roll
gets me everytime
Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
The problem I have with ricers with fast cars is not that the fact that they can beat me its the fact that they spend so much money and time to make their inferior engines go fast. Now a twin turbo 6er isnt exaxtly inferior but take the turbos away and its a piece of ****. If "Ryan Woon" put all that time in money into an V-8 twin turbo he would have went a hell of alot faster.
AND THEN SOME
AMEN!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Well no I agree on the roll thing...

My friends supra did only run 13.5 at the track..

But when we raced on the street his car was a buslength behind me till around 90 mph..We did this several times and eack time the 345 rwhp vette was in front of the 720 rwhp Supra..

BUT..Once he hit boost it wasnt even a race any more..Around 90 mph I saw a speeding bullet coming up in my rearview mirror.

And when he caught and and passed me at 90 mph it was like a car traveling at a speed of 15 mph passing a parked car. Were talking a solid 2-3 cars per second...

By the time I was doing 110 mph he was a solid 15-20 cars in front of me. he was so far in front of me that even when he let off and hit the brakes I still had to go WOT for a little while to get behind him..

From a roll you actually see the 720 rwhp. But from a dead stop at the 1/4 I never saw it..

He only trapped 118 mph. Dont get me wrong thats FAST...But considering 720 rwhp I was expecting much much more. This is the reason I started thinking Supras were not fast for the amount of power they produce...

Only until recently when I started reading about other Supras did I realize that my friends set up was just not good ...no power to the road and wayyyy to much lag,and that there are some fast ones out there..

We get in arguments over wich car is better all the time..ha ha ha ha

I just said screw it....They both can run 12's..11's..10'...9's...8's....So there both badA**

But man modding those cars is expensive. I wont disclose how much $$$ my friend has spent....But Corvette tax aint got nonthing on the Supras
Old 03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Well no I agree on the roll thing...

My friends supra did only run 13.5 at the track..

But when we raced on the street his car was a buslength behind me till around 90 mph..We did this several times and eack time the 345 rwhp vette was in front of the 720 rwhp Supra..

BUT..Once he hit boost it wasnt even a race any more..Around 90 mph I saw a speeding bullet coming up in my rearview mirror.

And when he caught and and passed me at 90 mph it was like a car traveling at a speed of 15 mph passing a parked car. Were talking a solid 2-3 cars per second...

By the time I was doing 110 mph he was a solid 15-20 cars in front of me. he was so far in front of me that even when he let off and hit the brakes I still had to go WOT for a little while to get behind him..

From a roll you actually see the 720 rwhp. But from a dead stop at the 1/4 I never saw it..

He only trapped 118 mph. Dont get me wrong thats FAST...But considering 720 rwhp I was expecting much much more. This is the reason I started thinking Supras were not fast for the amount of power they produce...

Only until recently when I started reading about other Supras did I realize that my friends set up was just not good ...no power to the road and wayyyy to much lag,and that there are some fast ones out there..

We get in arguments over wich car is better all the time..ha ha ha ha

I just said screw it....They both can run 12's..11's..10'...9's...8's....So there both badA**

But man modding those cars is expensive. I wont disclose how much $$$ my friend has spent....But Corvette tax aint got nonthing on the Supras
That all depends on the person. I trap ALOT higher, ET better and I havent spent even close to the amount he has spent. I do alot of my own work too. Most of the other Supra guys on island do their own work also. Big difference is price. Some people charge arm and a leg for labor. I wouldnt use his car as an example. He is running the HKS twins which are the nicest looking but also most expensive aftermarket turbo kit available for the Supra. Its a big baller setup and more for high speed runs then drag racing. My entire setup costs less then his turbo kit alone. Now my interior, body kit and paint is another story.

Last edited by FEARSM; 03-28-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96mysticcobra
One of my buddies has a drag supra that is still very streetable around town and it ran a 10.9 in the 1/4 but it takes a little under a 1/8m to get into the boost. His car is putting down 650hp single turbo through a chevy th400 tranny

1/8m to get into boost. Seriously. You are exaggerating. He shoudl pull boost sitting still off the line.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

So the reason for Supra's place among the v-8's is the gearing?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I HATE ALL RICE!!!! SUPRAS, SKYLINES, SENTRAS, CIVICS!!
AMERICAN MUSCLE!
....love starting fights..haha
Seriously nothing sounds better than a cammed V8, farts cans sound....well like farts!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
I HATE ALL RICE!!!! SUPRAS, SKYLINES, SENTRAS, CIVICS!!
AMERICAN MUSCLE!
....love starting fights..haha
Seriously nothing sounds better than a cammed V8, farts cans sound....well like farts!

It would be easy to hear the farts since they would probably be coming from in front of you if your racing a big turbo supra.

Nice car btw. I want my wife to trade in her 02 Gt for a ram air.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I admit that the Supra i give credit to, but i HATE skylines, sentras, civics are ridicuous(96 hp from th factory) theysuck
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Teching In

So the reason for Supra's place among the v-8's is the gearing?
One of the main reasons the car is a highway monster yes. Its a GT or grand touring car. It was made to run really fast over long distances. The gearing reflects that.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

true dat. I had a vr4 and the gearing is great on that but what about my vette's gearing? It seems really tall, and is a 6 spd. I don't know a lot about my vette yet, I know most of the stats and mine has the 3.42 gearing. Heres pics

the stang is the wife's car, and look how beautiful my engine is. God, it's sexy, lol.

Quick Reply: wtf is with supra guys?!??