Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I am racing a GXR1000, I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree a bit.

Aerodynamicly, bikes suck. They have less frontal area, but their CD is bad AFAIK, which makes sense when you factor in that huge lump right in the airstream called the rider.

Also, from all I have seen, power to weight is most important below 100. Weight and inertia mean the most in that range. Above that, its all about just pushing around air, and that strait power and aerodynamics. This is why weight does not really affect top speed in and of itself.

But then again, the accounts I just head contradict that. They are the opposite of what I have seen/read/heard/done.

Screw it, everyone go race a bike then invite him to the windtunnel/dyno/scales. LOL.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The laws of physics do NOT start to go away when you reach a higher speed. It does get harder and harder to push the wind though like you said.
If the rider is up in the air then he does not know what he is doing. The only time i was not tucked when I was racing was under braking. It helps slow down and keep the rear down. Power to weight is always important in acceleration. They go hand in hand in the mathmatical equation for acceleration. The bike is still more aerodynamic than the car. When air goes past the bike it has a nice smooth release on the back of the bike. I car has a large lowpresure area that causes alot of turbulance behind it. I am not saying that he wont when, he might but the reason will be because the rider is not very good. In stock trim that bike is capable of 9.9@145mph maybe a little more. the only reason it is that slow is because you will loop it if you go over about 60% throttle in first.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nossty1
The laws of physics do NOT start to go away when you reach a higher speed. It does get harder and harder to push the wind though like you said.
If the rider is up in the air then he does not know what he is doing. The only time i was not tucked when I was racing was under braking. It helps slow down and keep the rear down. Power to weight is always important in acceleration. They go hand in hand in the mathmatical equation for acceleration. The bike is still more aerodynamic than the car. When air goes past the bike it has a nice smooth release on the back of the bike. I car has a large lowpresure area that causes alot of turbulance behind it. I am not saying that he wont when, he might but the reason will be because the rider is not very good. In stock trim that bike is capable of 9.9@145mph maybe a little more. the only reason it is that slow is because you will loop it if you go over about 60% throttle in first.

Bikes have worse wind resistence on avg than sports cars no matter how you ride it. As speeds increase wind resistence becomes greater and greater, how much greater depends on the aerodynamics of the vehicle. As I already said bikes have shitty aerodynamics so although they have less weight to push around with a decent amount of HP as speeds go up and wind resistence increases at a rate similar to what the car is experiencing the motor generating less power is going to be at a great dissadvantgae because wind resistence will cancel out a greater portion of the HP its producing where as the vehicle with more HP will have smaller fraction of its hp cancelled out by wind resistence, thus why cars usually kill bikes up top.

IHell if you've ever raced a 600 you would notice they are quick as hell to about 140 and then they fall on their face
Old 04-16-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread got retarded 4 pages ago.
Where's the video?!?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting to see the vid.
I raced a 929RR with my stock internal SS on a 150 Shot and pulled him 3 times racing from 85-140.

But after owning a 02 R1 and racing anything that wanted to,i have to say i am really interested to see how this race turns out.

I think the bike will come out ahead,but want to see for my self.

Good luck ,and for God sakes ,PLEASE don't forget to vidoe tape it for us.

Dave
Old 04-16-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Hoped tp make it happen this weekend but the holidays got in the way.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

So I take it this still never happened?

I was really looking forward to seeing the outcome.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

NOPE! We live 40+ miles apart. It will though.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I am waiting to see the vid.
I raced a 929RR with my stock internal SS on a 150 Shot and pulled him 3 times racing from 85-140.

But after owning a 02 R1 and racing anything that wanted to,i have to say i am really interested to see how this race turns out.

I think the bike will come out ahead,but want to see for my self.

Good luck ,and for God sakes ,PLEASE don't forget to vidoe tape it for us.

Dave

hmmm interesting, ive never lost a 03 and under R1 on my 929 and R1's are everywhere down here, every newby rider wants a R6 or R1 because the name sounds kewl. ive ran them from a dead stop and on the highway. although my 929 wasnt stock full hindle exhaust, pc3 tuned to put 141 to the wheel and 3 up in the rear. lethal combo. i could run 6.7's all day long in the 1/8th, i would get kicked off the 1/4 mile for breaking 11.5 and that was shutting it down at the 1000 foot mark. i didnt have full leathers.

i agree with what what is being said about pwr to weight, areodynamics. ive been at 180mph on my bike and if your head sticks up too much it feels like its about to be ripped off. wind resistance is a beating on the body/bike over 140mph. i couldnt top my bike out until i went 3 up in the rear. i just never had enough motor to push thru the air/wind.

where is the video? lol.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Staging Lane

I have an 05 R1 and 0-186mph goes by in a blink, even when it was bone stock. I've raced an 05 GSXR 1000 and took him, but not by alot. Its gonna take some serious driving with him doing some serious screwing up for you to win, but good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSINA7
What, high 8's on a GSX-R 1000, stock? Good one. I have seen a mildy modded one go 9.5's with a pretty good rider.

Oh, and to the guy racing it, you shouldn't have a problem unless the guy is a bad *** rider. You have torque, aero, and power on him.
Jeez....I agree.

Let me correct a couple thing here, having owned 4 different Gixxers over the years.

First, no Gixxer, even the 05 has turned any 1/4 miles times in a magizine faster than a 9.7.

Second, you better have more than 700hp if you plan to hang, let alone not get walked.

An 04 makes an easy 150 at the wheel.

Assume 400# for the Bike and 200# for the rider.

If your cars weighs say 3400# plus 200# for you, youre going to need 900 plus at the wheels to hang and more to win.

Plus, if you race him from say 40-120, you will get dusted, look at the roll on times for an 04 gixxer thou from 40-80 its insane how fast.

if you race from a did and he gets a good lanuch your toast too.

How fast can you go in 1st gear befor eyou need to shift? 35-40?

He can do nearly twice that before he has to shift.

Good luck, have fun, and be careful.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Blown04Z06]hmmm interesting, ive never lost a 03 and under R1 on my 929 and R1's are everywhere down here, every newby rider wants a R6 or R1 because the name sounds kewl. ive ran them from a dead stop and on the highway. although my 929 wasnt stock full hindle exhaust, pc3 tuned to put 141 to the wheel and 3 up in the rear. lethal combo. i could run 6.7's all day long in the 1/8th, i would get kicked off the 1/4 mile for breaking 11.5 and that was shutting it down at the 1000 foot mark. i didnt have full leathers.

oh boy.......

Having owned (2) 929's and road raced one of them I think there is a liiiitle bit of exageration going on here.

Not only will a stock 02 and 03 R1 dust any stock 929, the stock 98 and up R1's were faster also.

The 929, makes 120-125 at the wheel on a good day in stock form. I have dyno'd both mine and seen SEVERAL other dyno's.

A full exhaust and PCIII wont ad much. While gearing helps, it doesn't change how much power you make.

The 929 was a good bike, reliable, and handled well, but since 2000 it, the 954 and the 1000RR have ALWAYS been the least powerful of the liter bikes.

PS,

I wouldnt brag about not wearing leathers.

Saved my bacon twice, I wouldn't be here if it wearnt for leathers.
Attached Thumbnails I am racing a GXR1000, I have questions-dscn0868.jpg  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Teching In

i have a 408 stroker with 505rwhp on my 99vette and i raced a 1000 twice from 75 to around 160 and he underestimated me and lost. the second time he said he went from 2nd gear and we were dead even from 75 to around 165mph. we stopped and talked for a long time and he had a pipe and a few other modifications. down lower i think he would have pulled me. my car weighs supposedly 3375 with me in it, so says the scales coming back from shreveport, hope that helps, cant wait to see the video, Bubba
Old 04-29-2006, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by underatedT/A
what year bike? ive seen a stock 05gsxr 1000 dyno 172 at the wheel and the bike weights only 380lbs. those bike run low 9's and high 8's depending on the rider. 01 thru 04 makes about 35+ less and run low 9's to low 10's depending on the rider. depending what he has done it will be hard for him to keep the wheel down at that speed. good luck but that is probably the hardest bike it is to beat on the street. you sure got some ***** to even attempt that.
no you havent, youre a retard and shut up. you know NOTHING about bikes, its very obvious. i own a 2005 gsxr 1k, and i made 159rwhp with a yoshi slip on. i walked a 650RWHP viper like he was standing still if that tells you anything.

hes not going to run you from a 45 roll either, i know i wouldnt.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Yeah I saw the video. It put my dick in the dirt. My only hope is this bike is completely stock. Doesn't even have a strap. I might get ballsy and go 300. Who knows.
And the way I feel about the people who talk ****, they can go race one. Oops I am sorry they wouldn't dare!LOL Hell they could just race us first

who runs a front strap from a roll on the street? thats dangerous.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:33 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confused, you race this guy yet???? I was out looking for bikes last night, but it was too cold...I put my 150 shot to try it out a little....felt nice.

SDB
Old 04-29-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

No guys I have yet to link back up with him. The night it was set I blew through my clutch racing his brothers bike. Figured I would have a warm up first. We just haven't been able to link back up yet. We talk on the boards daily and soon as the weather is good(hopefully next weekend) It is on. But I have said that before. Sorry for the wait. It is a long time just to watch me get my *** handed to me.lol
Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
I am racing a friend of mines bike. It is a GXR 1000. I know it is bad. Have any of you raced one of these. Is 700rwhp enough to hang? I have beaten the hell out of alot of bikes. I know nothing about them. But it is my understanding this is one of the faster ones. It will be from a roll. Probably a 55 punch. Unless any of you have advice. I will get my *** whoopin on film for you guys to watch. Thanks.

Scott
If the rider knows how to drive he should pull you good. You need 800+ to the rw's to hang with a good driver maxing his bikes performance out. Otherwise, he is like most, he is an ok rider, that gets 70=75% out of the bikes 100% performance. Lets see some Vid though, its going to be cool eitherwy
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

i owned a 2004 gsx-r 1000 last year. just a pipe on it. fastest run was a 10.21 @141 mph. with a 1.58 60 ft time. im an averaged sized guy, 5'10 and 175 lbs.

so u can base urself on those numbers. that run was faster than a 2002 hayabusa with full exhaust, slick power commander and airshift took fastest street bike last year.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shocker45
i owned a 2004 gsx-r 1000 last year. just a pipe on it. fastest run was a 10.21 @141 mph. with a 1.58 60 ft time. im an averaged sized guy, 5'10 and 175 lbs.

so u can base urself on those numbers. that run was faster than a 2002 hayabusa with full exhaust, slick power commander and airshift took fastest street bike last year.

Damn you must have some sorry *** riders where you live. Ive seen numerous stock Busas go 9.7-9.9 @ 145+ mph. Of course we have a pretty big bike thing here.