Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Audi S6 tries but cannot pass!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S6 tries but cannot pass!

Driving home from work the other day (on Hamlin Rd) I had an Audi S6 come flying up from behind. I was getting on the 'on' ramp to M59, when I turn into the stretch before the 'on' ramp starts to turn I floor it to 85 mph and the S6 hung about a bus length back. Going into the turn (cautionary speed of 25mph) I slow down to 60 mph and take the turn at 55 mph with the S6 staying right on my butt though not gaining. So as the curve starts to straigthen I floor her quickly (not to quick) and accelerate to 100+ mph into the freeway and the S6 is staying glued to about a bus length behind without gaining.

The car was fast and took the 'on' ramp (almost a complete circle) at a relatively fast rate and I was not able to lose him.

When we got up to traffic and had to slow he gave me a thumbs up and asked what I had done to the car. I told him exhaust and suspension only. He said he had the new Audi S6 with the V10 (test vehicle) and thought the Trans Am was a sweet ride. I gave him props for a bad *** Audi and we continued on our way. It was a good feeling to have hung with the S6 in that corner and at a pretty dangerous speed.

Great run and wanted to share with you all.

Jack
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good time, I need to find some people like that around I haven't had a run in a while.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Nice! Are you on the stock springs/shocks? I didn't see anything about them in your sig mod list.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EugThinks
Nice! Are you on the stock springs/shocks? I didn't see anything about them in your sig mod list.
Still stock springs and shocks.

Tires and sway bars made a very noticable difference though.

But to have my car hang with a car with sport suspension and awd I figured I would have been murdered by the S6.

Last edited by ActionJack; 05-05-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

I am an Audi tech and we haven't seen the new S6's in our dealer yet. They are supposed to come out this year. That's crazy that you ran into one. I worked on the older S6's, S8's, and RS6's, obviously the RS6 was the most impressive performance wise. Twin turbo 4.2V8 putting out 450hp., AWD. the car is heavy though. I wonder how the new V10 performs compared to the old RS6. As soon as they come in, will definetely be looking to take one for a ride.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YEV33
I am an Audi tech and we haven't seen the new S6's in our dealer yet. They are supposed to come out this year. That's crazy that you ran into one. I worked on the older S6's, S8's, and RS6's, obviously the RS6 was the most impressive performance wise. Twin turbo 4.2V8 putting out 450hp., AWD. the car is heavy though. I wonder how the new V10 performs compared to the old RS6. As soon as they come in, will definetely be looking to take one for a ride.
Crazy? No. This is where EEO is located. I get to see the Chrylsers before they hit dealers too.

You work at one of the dealers? What is the dealer code? I work at the Auburn Hills offices.

Last edited by ActionJack; 05-05-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Nice job. You must live very close to me. I live very close to Hamlin.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Driving home from work the other day (on Hamlin Rd) I had an Audi S6 come flying up from behind. I was getting on the 'on' ramp to M59, when I turn into the stretch before the 'on' ramp starts to turn I floor it to 85 mph and the S6 hung about a bus length back. Going into the turn (cautionary speed of 25mph) I slow down to 60 mph and take the turn at 55 mph with the S6 staying right on my butt though not gaining. So as the curve starts to straigthen I floor her quickly (not to quick) and accelerate to 100+ mph into the freeway and the S6 is staying glued to about a bus length behind without gaining.

The car was fast and took the 'on' ramp (almost a complete circle) at a relatively fast rate and I was not able to lose him.

When we got up to traffic and had to slow he gave me a thumbs up and asked what I had done to the car. I told him exhaust and suspension only. He said he had the new Audi S6 with the V10 (test vehicle) and thought the Trans Am was a sweet ride. I gave him props for a bad *** Audi and we continued on our way. It was a good feeling to have hung with the S6 in that corner and at a pretty dangerous speed.

Great run and wanted to share with you all.

Jack

He was not in a V10 S6. No such animal on the roads yet. He is full of it.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CTSVSL65AMG
Really. You got $500 you want to put on that. Not a race but since you are runnung your mouth.

It is a Green Audi S6 with the V10. But for $$$ I am certain I can get a video.

Jack
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

I think he's got a point. Smack me down if im wrong, im pretty sure the V8 goes into the new S6, and the V10 is going into the new S8.
I've been known to be wrong though.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Really. You got $500 you want to put on that. Not a race but since you are runnung your mouth.

It is a Green Audi S6 with the V10. But for $$$ I am certain I can get a video.

Jack

Dude,

Youre getting pretty worked up for someone who is wrong.

While the 2007 Audi S6 does have V10, there is no such animal on the raod yet, as I said.

I talked to our local audi dealer, they confirmed it, and so does this. Its may, they arent in dealers until the fall as an 07 model.

You can paypal me whenever.... :-)

The 2007 Audi S6 sedan is based on the A6 and uses a detuned version of the V-10 from the S8. In this application, the direct-injection V-10 will make approximately 420 hp, thirty less than in the S8, and ninety less than in the Lamborghini Gallardo, which also uses an iteration of this powerplant. Power is sufficient to send the S6 from 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds, 0.2 seconds behind its bigger brother. A six-speed Tiptronic handles the shifting, and torque is sent to all four wheels, with a 40/60 torque split favoring the rear wheels. The S6 boasts the usual S touches: aluminum-look mirrors, nineteen-inch wheels, and subtle aerodynamic modifications. While the S6 has eighty fewer horsepower than the 500-hp BMW M5, the price will also be at least $10,000 less. Both S6 and the S8 sedans will arrive at dealers this fall.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude,

While the 2007 Audi S6 does have V10, there is no such animal on the raod yet, as I said.

I talked to our local audi dealer, they confirmed it, and so does this. Its may, they arent in dealers until the fall as an 07 model.

The 2007 Audi S6 sedan is based on the A6 and uses a detuned version of the V-10 from the S8. In this application, the direct-injection V-10 will make approximately 420 hp, thirty less than in the S8, and ninety less than in the Lamborghini Gallardo, which also uses an iteration of this powerplant. Power is sufficient to send the S6 from 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds, 0.2 seconds behind its bigger brother. A six-speed Tiptronic handles the shifting, and torque is sent to all four wheels, with a 40/60 torque split favoring the rear wheels. The S6 boasts the usual S touches: aluminum-look mirrors, nineteen-inch wheels, and subtle aerodynamic modifications. While the S6 has eighty fewer horsepower than the 500-hp BMW M5, the price will also be at least $10,000 less. Both S6 and the S8 sedans will arrive at dealers this fall.

I wonder how hard its gonna be to get that V10 to put out the same ammount of HP it does in the gallardo. I wonder if they just limit it with the ecu or very restricted exhaust/intake.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

it shouldnt be too hard, I bet its timing and exhaust differneces mainly. I bet it responds well to bolt ons and a good tune.

When they come out in a few months, that will be the family car to have, well, that, the E55 and the M5. But I need AWD where I am.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Dude,

It is a Audi S6 with the V10. It was a guy from the test building driving it. We happen to know each other because we both work at the VWoA Headquarters. I do not think he would lie about the Audi he was test driving.

Also, do you actually believe that because a dealer does not have a vehicle yet that it is not on the road? If so, you have much to learn padawon.

Originally Posted by sciff5
I wonder how hard its gonna be to get that V10 to put out the same ammount of HP it does in the gallardo. I wonder if they just limit it with the ecu or very restricted exhaust/intake.
It is similiar to the Gallardo but has different parts. However, they do share parts.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

You work at one of the dealers? What is the dealer code? I work at the Auburn Hills offices.
Huh. Seems like this guy, like, works for Audi, or something. I dunno. Maybe.

I would absolutely take his word for it.....too many dealers lie or are ignorant to trust one that you do not know. I'm not trying to start a fight, however it appears ActionJack would be the more likely to be correct here.

I also believe there are probably hundreds of different companies' test mules out on the streets of the US with the "wrong" motor. GM did it with the LS1, and they certainly made plenty of those, so there is a high probability that someone from this site would run into a powerful test mule from some company and understand what it is. On top of that, he knows the guy.

In case you missed it, he said it was a TEST VEHICLE, A MULE, not a production showroom-fresh car.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

I still doubt it. What are they testing????? They are waaaaay to close to delivering to dealers to be changing much if anything for production. Get a picture of it, if you know the guy, pop the hood. And take a snap shot.

There are no S6's delivered to dealers yet. Do a seach you will see.

also, for the record, I wasnt saying you were full or it or anything. I just think this guy was embellishing a little.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes CL55merc or whatever be prepared to eat some crow. It looks like Action is in the industry. It is VERY common for those guys to see and race prototypes.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Cool, I would love to see a pic of a real one anyway. Like I said before, I wasnt saying the poster was lying, I just think the guy in the Audi was full of it. But if not, Ill stand corrected. I bet it was an RS6 though...

Looks like a sexy machine, would love to see a pic.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Yes CL55merc or whatever be prepared to eat some crow. It looks like Action is in the industry. It is VERY common for those guys to see and race prototypes.
Cantdrv4crap, its actually CTSVSL65AMG, those are 2 difference cars, one is a cadillac, one is a mercedes, both were in my garage at the time I registed. Does that add up? :-)

Just playing with ya.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I will check on a pic but without cash it could take awhile.

FWIW there were no badges on it and only because I am aware of the look of a A6 and the difference between a A6 and RS6 did I even suspect. When I first asked it was "is it a RS6?" and he said "nope... S6. Has a V10".

And, when you work for the manufacturer you see cars before they hit the dealership ALL the time. We also see cars they do not sell in the USA. It is not uncommon. I also have a pic in our parking lot next to the Herbie they used in the movie. No biggy. I just wanted to share what I considered to be a feat for the F-Body in near stock form.

Jack