Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05 CTS V vs modded Srt-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 CTS V vs modded Srt-4

hey guys. i have a 05 CTS V at my dealership. i took it off the showroom floor this morning to let engine run for a lil bit. i pull on to the highway and a blue srt4 pulls out behind me. i know the guy(he bought it from my dealership) and i wanted to see if he wanted to run. well we slow down to i guess 30mph and i put it in 2nd(didnt put it in 1st cause i didnt want it to spin bad.) and i wait for him to punch it and we take off all the way thru 2nd, side by side. we pull of to a side road and hes behind me and i fly thru the gears and i dont pull on him at all. needless to say i was impressed. we pull over and i talk to him and find out hes putting like 270hp to the wheels. not bad at all. nice guy, and good run. wonder what he would do against my car? what do CTS V's avg to the wheels? thanx.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LastLT1
hey guys. i have a 05 CTS V at my dealership. i took it off the showroom floor this morning to let engine run for a lil bit. i pull on to the highway and a blue srt4 pulls out behind me. i know the guy(he bought it from my dealership) and i wanted to see if he wanted to run. well we slow down to i guess 30mph and i put it in 2nd(didnt put it in 1st cause i didnt want it to spin bad.) and i wait for him to punch it and we take off all the way thru 2nd, side by side. we pull of to a side road and hes behind me and i fly thru the gears and i dont pull on him at all. needless to say i was impressed. we pull over and i talk to him and find out hes putting like 270hp to the wheels. not bad at all. nice guy, and good run. wonder what he would do against my car? what do CTS V's avg to the wheels? thanx.
First,

CTS-V's vary a good deal on the dyno, I have seen 325-355 at the wheels.

Second,

Why are you racing a brand new car...thats not yours...that someone else will put 50K of their cash down on?

Third,

If you put it in 1st it would not spin. Unless you set the traction control to competitive drive mode, or unless you disbaled the stability control all together. The CTS-V has one of the best traction control systems in the world.

Last edited by CTSVSL65AMG; 05-15-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=CTSVSL65AMG]
Why are you racing a brand new car...thats not yours...that someone else will put 50K of their cash down on?
[QUOTE]

Why is it you have to judge people what they should and shouldn't do. Just simple answers to the questions is all that is needed and I can't believe I'm responding which doesn't do a damn thing either.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Teching In

I didn't judge, I asked. Don't you think its a little irresponsible to work at a dealer and race the cars there???? Or am I totally out to lunch here?

I did answer his questions too.

Maybe I am a little jaded here. The first CTS-V I bought had a catastrophic tranny failure. When Cadillac's national auditor came to look at he felt strongly someone had driven it "VERY HARD" prior to a PDI being perfomred. Apprently the was no or little fluid in the tranny when this joy riding took place, and I got the enjoy the benefits of it about 2000 miles later, being standed on I5 with a blow tranny on a Sunday night at about 1am. I know thats not typical, i guess I am still pissed off.

Sorry.

Last edited by CTSVSL65AMG; 05-15-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first,

Its not new! It has 25k miles on it already and when we got the car it has already been through 3 rear ends. Not my doing, the old owner was rough on it. And the stability program on the Cadillac is no where near as good as it is on the Srt models. The Cadillac V series will either spin or the pedal will die on you, sucks either way. The Srt stability program is least likely to spin out the hole and doesnt kill the pedal. I have taken them out when we went to training for them. And from what I have heard the rear ends in the Cadillac V series arent great anyway. So no matter who ragged on it, the rear end was destined to break. Pissed off or not, i did it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Well first,

Its not new! It has 25k miles on it already and when we got the car it has already been through 3 rear ends. Not my doing, the old owner was rough on it. And the stability program on the Cadillac is no where near as good as it is on the Srt models. The Cadillac V series will either spin or the pedal will die on you, sucks either way. The Srt stability program is least likely to spin out the hole and doesnt kill the pedal. I have taken them out when we went to training for them. And from what I have heard the rear ends in the Cadillac V series arent great anyway. So no matter who ragged on it, the rear end was destined to break. Pissed off or not, i did it.
You have obviously never driven a CTS-V at its limits. The stability control system is the same used on the C6 Vettes, it is phenomoinal, you can slide around corners in competive drive mode and it will keep you from looping.

Ask any C6 owners or V owners and they will agree.

THE SRT-4 only has traction control, its doesn;t even have stability control.

PS. I didnt know it was used, and had such a rough life. Still bad practice though, but it makes miore sense now.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the Srt-4 only has traction control. i was specifying to the srt-8 models. the stability program (ESP) on them is just like the one you refer to on the CTS V. I have taken the Srt-8 300C and Charger to its limits( atleast it felt like it) and they just the hug the road like crazy. The CTS V that is here will either spin like crazy on any mode i put it in or the pedal will just die. When i take the Srt-8s out i never have any spin. Maybe the stability program on the CTS V is messed up but just what i observed.

also, its not like i go to every vehicle here and rag on it. that one had not been driven for over a month and i was just getting it out and going thru the gears and the srt4 happened to show up. i didnt plan on it.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My SRT4 didnt have traction control. 270 to the wheels isnt really alot on those things. He probably had minor stuff done but they are sooooo damn light. One thing I couldnt make some dumbasses on another forum understand. A 400 whp SRT4 would be a force to be reckoned with. They were talking like a 500 hp GTO or Cobra would walk it like theres no tomorrow because it has alot more power but they couldnt grasp the whole almost 1000 pounds lighter concept.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

no one ever doubted the speed of the SRT on this thread.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yea, the guy only had stg 1 pcm/wga, 3in exhaust, bov, hard pipes for the upper and lower of the turbo(i think he said that) and a boost controller. thats all and the car only weighs like 2800 lbs and w/ 270whp it moves. it must move in order to keep up with a cts v even in top speed.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Bad Trader Warning!

You have driven one POS CTS-V that someone did not take care of. My V Traction control works awesome and will allow wheel spin(hop) out of the hole. Now I have driven three 300 SRT8 and they have a good system as well but feels like a big boat in the corners. Maybe I have been lucky with my V. I have only had 1 rear end go out and was replaced at 3,200 Miles. I now have 38,000 of hard driving and still no problems. I guess I have been lucky.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

When I had my SRT-4 it 265 hp and 306 tq at the wheels. On slicks it ran 12.8 @ 108 multiple times. That car was a blast to drive..... I beat the hell out of it and it asked for more.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
When I had my SRT-4 it 265 hp and 306 tq at the wheels. On slicks it ran 12.8 @ 108 multiple times. That car was a blast to drive..... I beat the hell out of it and it asked for more.
Ya, its not hard to break into the 12s with the SRT4. Only about 600-700 bucks in mods will get you there.

Quick Reply: 05 CTS V vs modded Srt-4