Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Z28 vs C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Z28 vs C5

Driving home going down I85 I see a black C5. Speed up just to get a good look not trying to race my car is still stock. But any way I pull up the guy tears off about 10 cars up and signals me up to the lane next to him. Tells me slow down to 55mph and lets go till 150mph im like ok. We slow down he flips his hand telling me to go like he is really going to kick my ***. So i shift into 3rd and gun it he taks off at about the same time i did i got about a half a car on him. After that about every 25 mph i was pulling a car to a car and a half. I killed this thing bad i know it was a auto C5 i have a M6 but whats the deal. camaro corvette the vette should out run my car stock for stock. But on the up and up. I was happy as hell my stock Z28 just busted the **** out of a C5. Never thought it was going to happen.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4sconcepts
Driving home going down I85 I see a black C5. Speed up just to get a good look not trying to race my car is still stock. But any way I pull up the guy tears off about 10 cars up and signals me up to the lane next to him. Tells me slow down to 55mph and lets go till 150mph im like ok. We slow down he flips his hand telling me to go like he is really going to kick my ***. So i shift into 3rd and gun it he taks off at about the same time i did i got about a half a car on him. After that about every 25 mph i was pulling a car to a car and a half. I killed this thing bad i know it was a auto C5 i have a M6 but whats the deal. camaro corvette the vette should out run my car stock for stock. But on the up and up. I was happy as hell my stock Z28 just busted the **** out of a C5. Never thought it was going to happen.
Why? You two have the same engine.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Why? You two have the same engine.
Yes, but a Corvette has alot of things a Camaro doesnt.
Its made of fiberglass, has a kick *** suspension, way better than they put on an Fbody, always the best gears.... basically they are tuned to be a little faster.

I know for a fact a 2002 LS1 Corvette ran a 12.5, compared to the Fbody's claimed 12.8
For some reason IMO the fastest corvette will always outrun the fastest camaro.
Stock for stock, year fir year.

Anyways, nice race.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Yes, but a Corvette has alot of things a Camaro doesnt.
Its made of fiberglass, has a kick *** suspension, way better than they put on an Fbody, always the best gears.... basically they are tuned to be a little faster.

I know for a fact a 2002 LS1 Corvette ran a 12.5, compared to the Fbody's claimed 12.8
For some reason IMO the fastest corvette will always outrun the fastest camaro.
Stock for stock, year fir year.

Anyways, nice race.
Yes, but we're talking straight-line acceleration here. Remember, the IRS eats up a little more horsepower, too. Compare 3.15 to 3.42 with probably a little more horsepower at the ground for the Z than the Corvette. But, I do agree about the Corvette being faster, only if its auto to auto or manual to manual. I don't know.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4sconcepts
if his C5 is an auto, he is a dumbass for racing u at 55, but maybe he doesn't kno his car yet. my car at that speed is dead in the water . if u would of raced him from a dig it would of been a closer race. nice kill, ur gearin help out a lot 3.42>2.73, especially from a roll. hope u don't run into an M6 C5
Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

vettes dont always have the best gearing.

in fact some C4s came with worse gears than even the lowest optioned Fbody V8 could get.