Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

RX8 Kill

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Word.

An FD IS NOT in the same league as the S2000 and Boxster... That's for damn sure... It's more alng the lines of the NSX, Corvette, Skyline, etc... capable of similar with WAY less power... Quite a feat I think. BTW, There is an RX7 on the RX7 Club website who ran in Thunderhill. While the Camaro SS, S2000, and Boxster were pulling time of 2:16's and 2:17's respectively this RX-7 was running on his stock turbo's, factory spec rwhp, don't think he ever dyno'd it (some of these guuys think dyno's are stupid... I wouldn't go that far, but remember, it's a whole different approach), and had a crazy suspension set-up with weight reduction... He was running 2 minutes flat.

Remember the RX7 is HUGELY underpowered and it's easy to dismiss what caliber car this car is on a track... With mild tire & tuning, this is a car that laps faster, sometimes and in capable hands, than MUCH newer cars with the same prep/set-ups including R33/34 Skylines, M3's, 911's, etc. DEFINITELY in a different league than the S2000 and Poor Man's Porsche aka Boxster. In drag racing they do kind of blow, though.

Come on, the FD is modified. Let's not talk about being modified. Mustangs modified have been winning the road coarses here in the US in their class and the vipers are doing the same thing. From my gathering has been their light weight.

I was in this same arguement about someone saying that vipers don't handle well. Yet they have been dominating last year and this year.
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Why can't I talk about a modified one? Not a good example, but worse than NO example? At least it's a point of reference and you could draw some more accurate, STILL not accurate of course, conclusions... Vipers are good enough for Le Mans... **** what tool would say they don't handle well... Vettes/Vipers have their handlind criticized because of their twitchy balance and higher, less-forgiving learning curve... Fact is, Vipers and Vettes hand run BADASS lap time on any track... But when you have stock FD's running with big dogs more appropriate for Vettes/Vipers (M3's etc.), what does that say about a car NOWHERE NEAR the higher poweplant output numbers of the cars it's always stacked up against? Super-light and super-agile... It has to be... Because the power is lacking (1.3L powerplant).

The modified FD was just a bad example... So far, though, we had NO examples on Thunderhill, right? I thought I might post it... *shrugs*
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Why can't I talk about a modified one? Not a good example, but worse than NO example? At least it's a point of reference and you could draw some more accurate, STILL not accurate of course, conclusions... Vipers are good enough for Le Mans... **** what tool would say they don't handle well... Vettes/Vipers have their handlind criticized because of their twitchy balance and higher, less-forgiving learning curve... Fact is, Vipers and Vettes hand run BADASS lap time on any track... But when you have stock FD's running with big dogs more appropriate for Vettes/Vipers (M3's etc.), what does that say about a car NOWHERE NEAR the higher poweplant output numbers of the cars it's always stacked up against? Super-light and super-agile... It has to be... Because the power is lacking (1.3L powerplant).

The modified FD was just a bad example... So far, though, we had NO examples on Thunderhill, right? I thought I might post it... *shrugs*
Ok, than see what a c5r does on that track. modified, it's one of the best handling cars in the world. There's some stock mustangs with suspension upgrades putting up lap times with the factory 911 turbo.

You don't think a modified suspension s2000 at 2855 pounds will put up those times too. Come on, I'm one of the open minded people on here. I didn't say they handle like ****, but many cars handle very well once modified.

edit, I bet that s2000 would roll up 2 minute times too. Same for a boxter s.
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

HA HA, okay... BUT, I bet that a stock motor Mustang with suspension upgrades WON'T outlap a stock motor FD with the same allowances on upgrades!

Vettes, Porsches, Skylines, etc. with suspension upgrades (DIFFERENT league of cars here) and stock motors would run more fairly with a similar stock motor FD with Suspension upgrades... That was my point, a moot one, I realize, UNLESS I can freaking find what a stock FD runs at Thunderhill for example's sake. I've been trying since yesterday but I can't find anything!
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

HA HA, okay... BUT, I bet that a stock motor Mustang with suspension upgrades WON'T outlap a stock motor FD with the same allowances on upgrades!

Vettes, Porsches, Skylines, etc. with suspension upgrades (DIFFERENT league of cars here) and stock motors would run more fairly with a similar stock motor FD with Suspension upgrades... That was my point, a moot one, I realize, UNLESS I can freaking find what a stock FD runs at Thunderhill for example's sake. I've been trying since yesterday but I can't find anything!
ok, I would give you the benefit of a doubt, they are different classes. Same for an fbody, rofl. Oh, maybe if the ford could do a weight reduction. Remove the seats.

Lets say a s2000. Power and weight is similar, or even a boxter s same thing. I bet they would put just as equal numbers.

And I've been looking too, I can't find anything on the rx7 at thunerhill. What's the odds of finding a factory one run. Probably not going to happen.

edit: I agree, but the c5r etc, will put up under 2 min laps, hehe. Those modified exotics are impressive.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I personally think they're a disgrace to the RX name... I can't believe we had to give up the RX-7 for that car here.
I know. Its bullshit.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's another hypo... Set-up for a particular track correctly, a modified C5R will DESTROY any JGTC car on the track! Japanese cars handle exceptionllay and put MANY American cars to shame... But I feel the Vette rises above THEM ALL, even the European rivals.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSINA7
I know. Its bullshit.

I'll never forget the one I want... I still have the brochure put away safely inside a book... Third gen, silver exterior with red leather interior...
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

I know. Its bullshit.
I bet you would change your mind if it came with a turbo and about 350hp. I love the idea of putting 4 in the car.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Ok, than see what a c5r does on that track. modified, it's one of the best handling cars in the world. There's some stock mustangs with suspension upgrades putting up lap times with the factory 911 turbo.

You don't think a modified suspension s2000 at 2855 pounds will put up those times too. Come on, I'm one of the open minded people on here. I didn't say they handle like ****, but many cars handle very well once modified.

edit, I bet that s2000 would roll up 2 minute times too. Same for a boxter s.

I am just trying to let you know, the RX-7 is not in the same class as the Boxter and S2000. The FD was in the same class as the Skyline, Corvette's, Supra's, 300ZX's, 3000Gt's, etc. It destroys them all.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

I'll never forget the one I want... I still have the brochure put away safely inside a book... Third gen, silver exterior with red leather interior...
One sold near me last year. Last I knew they were asking 19K for it. Its gone now. They are very rare and hard to find.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

I found this at RX7club.com

"My last time out in November, I ran a low low 2:18 (almost had a 2:17). This is in my non-turbo FC with Toyo RA-1s. I still have plenty to go since a lot of the Improved Touring FCs are running approx. 2:10s."

Non-Turbo 2nd Gen with a suspension.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Another one.

"Congratulations to Brian Evans(NorCal), and Damian Delahuerta(sp) (midwest region) for winning the TTU championships in NASAs newest class.
I also run TTU in Norcal, but got a late start this year, competing in just three events. I did however this last weekend win 1st place both days competing against Brian, and setting a new track record for all time trial classes of 1:58.4 at ThunderHill Raceway I was the third fastest car all weekend(IIRC) for allclasses, with two super unlimited cars besting my times. the two cars were a current Panos GT2 car on slicks, and a fully road course prepped NASCAR car."

This is a Turbo 2nd Gen.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool, that's a better example than mine... Your an RX-7 guy... Anyway we can find out what an FD would run stock at Thunderhill?
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

I found this at RX7club.com

"My last time out in November, I ran a low low 2:18 (almost had a 2:17). This is in my non-turbo FC with Toyo RA-1s. I still have plenty to go since a lot of the Improved Touring FCs are running approx. 2:10s."

Non-Turbo 2nd Gen with a suspension.

woot, that's impress. Is that that ls1 powered one?

I was just at ssca site and looking up the times. I see only one time under group 11 that was under 2 mins. 1:59 for thunderhill. That is the correct group right? i see group 1 too. Hmmm, I need to find the group classes to see exactly.

http://www.sfrscca.org/Results/index.html
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Couple more.

"My last track day there was a 1:47 at Leguna Seca in a almost stock FD"

"First time @ Thunderhill, 2:13s! Slightly Modified Turbo II!"
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, that's a better example than mine... Your an RX-7 guy... Anyway we can find out what an FD would run stock at Thunderhill?
I looked. I have no idea.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Couple more.

"My last track day there was a 1:47 at Leguna Seca in a almost stock FD"

"First time @ Thunderhill, 2:13s! Slightly Modified Turbo II!"
We were trying to compare thunderhill, since we had allot of factory times from road and track. None the less, still very impressive.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

woot, that's impress. Is that that ls1 powered one?

I was just at ssca site and looking up the times. I see only one time under group 11 that was under 2 mins. 1:59 for thunderhill. That is the correct group right?

http://www.sfrscca.org/Results/index.html
No, that was rotary powered. Just a hell of a Suspension. Makes probably 180 hp.

I don't know what group that is. I don't know what group he was in, but supposedly dude is very big in this racing and everyone knows him.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

We were trying to compare thunderhill, since we had allot of factory times from road and track. None the less, still very impressive.

Not many times from thunderhill that I could find...