Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

RX8 Kill

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Not many times from thunderhill that I could find...

lots under 2005. click the link than 2005 and see the tracks. The click on race.

edit: you can see how the time varies by the weather at the track. I mean the fall from the summer.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

No, that was rotary powered. Just a hell of a Suspension. Makes probably 180 hp.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

ok, i found the classes.

http://www.midiv.org/Code/AvailNbrs.htm

http://www.texasscca.org/racing.html

The second link is more definded.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I know. Just a ported engine with bolt-ons, makes probably 180 whp. Weight reduction and a suspension. Thats moving!
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Y'all know the FD that won the most G's ever pulled in SCC's fastest street car or whaveter? Pulled 1.13 G's?

"Thunderhill event and you can borrow my HotLap incar timer.

We'll compare times . My best so far is a 2:04 on MichPSCups that I drove there on and ABS that no worky (front brake lockup)."

That is a bolt-on, head, cam ls1 car.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Y'all know the FD that won the most G's ever pulled in SCC's fastest street car or whaveter? Pulled 1.13 G's?

"Thunderhill event and you can borrow my HotLap incar timer.

We'll compare times . My best so far is a 2:04 on MichPSCups that I drove there on and ABS that no worky (front brake lockup)."

That is a bolt-on, head, cam ls1 car.
wow, that's taking a corner hard to pull that kind of g.

If it's factory brakes, I don't doubt it. Even the corvette people pull off their factory setups.

Is the fbody setup for handling? Or is it just the bone stock suspension. I figured with head and cam, you would of upgraded the suspension.

ok, it's group 3 for street class...
http://www.sfrscca.org/Results/20050522/gr3.htm

here's last year's in 2005 and this is San Fransico. edit: some corvettes, some are markeed as vette and some are marked as chevy.

So there's a difference when a good driver is involved. I do see a few pontiac's and dodges. I would be curious to what they are driving. Probably have to look it up, hehe.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 05-31-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:39 PM
Teching In

did anyone even take a look at this video????
http://www.jexoticar.com/www_docs/Je...0vs.%20evo.mpg

STOCK FOR STOCK COMPETING WITH AN R34 SKYLINE, NSX, BOSS STI, ETC. PLEASE LOOK THIS TIME!!!

this is the RX8 reviewed by top gear.
http://www.nashwan.org/topgear.wmv - same track times as the E46 M3.

this is damian's RX7 making about 350rwhp with minor suspension mods (FD)
playnig with a Porsche 911 turbo
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision...4_911turbo.mpg

playing with a Porsche GT3.
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision..._30_04_gt3.mpg

playing with a lambo gallardo
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision...ng_lambo_1.mpg

playing with 500+rwhp Z06
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision..._rwhp_z06_.mpg

as much as i love Fbody's, i don't think fbody's (at all) can hang with any of the cars in the video with the mods damian's car has.

Last edited by rastarajah; 06-01-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
wow, that's taking a corner hard to pull that kind of g.

If it's factory brakes, I don't doubt it. Even the corvette people pull off their factory setups.

Is the fbody setup for handling? Or is it just the bone stock suspension. I figured with head and cam, you would of upgraded the suspension.

ok, it's group 3 for street class...
http://www.sfrscca.org/Results/20050522/gr3.htm

here's last year's in 2005 and this is San Fransico. edit: some corvettes, some are markeed as vette and some are marked as chevy.

So there's a difference when a good driver is involved. I do see a few pontiac's and dodges. I would be curious to what they are driving. Probably have to look it up, hehe.
That was a RX-7 that did that. With suspension upgrades and a H/C LS1 that ran the 2:04 and pulled 1.13 G's.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rastarajah
did anyone even take a look at this video????

STOCK FOR STOCK COMPETING WITH AN R34 SKYLINE, NSX, BOSS STI, ETC. PLEASE LOOK THIS TIME!!!

this is the RX8 reviewed by top gear.
http://www.nashwan.org/topgear.wmv - same track times as the E46 M3.

this is damian's RX7 making about 350rwhp with minor suspension mods (FD)
playnig with a Porsche 911 turbo
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision...4_911turbo.mpg

playing with a Porsche GT3.
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision..._30_04_gt3.mpg

playing with a lambo gallardo
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision...ng_lambo_1.mpg

playing with 500+rwhp Z06
http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision...z06_onfire.mpg

as much as i love Fbody's, i don't think fbody's (at all) can hang with any of the cars in the video with the mods damian's car has.
well after watching that 911 turbo, he didn't seem like he wanted to push his 120k car, rofl. Driver makes all the difference. I would love to see him driving that 911 turbo. That rx7 wouldn't keep up, he be so far a head in the open straights. The 911 guy seemed he didn't want to push the car. Like I said, I will watch the others, but there's more driver skill than the car itself.

edit:ok, just watched the gt3 and the lambo, same situation. He pushes the car in the corner, I guess he has nothing to lose. I would love to see him drive one of those exotics. I bet he would put up some incredible times. Ok, soon as I get home I will watch the other one.

Like I said, no doubt a driver makes the track.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 05-31-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:03 PM
Teching In

well after watching that 911 turbo, he didn't seem like he wanted to push his 120k car, rofl. Driver makes all the difference. I would love to see him driving that 911 turbo. That rx7 wouldn't keep up, he be so far a head in the open straights. The 911 guy seemed he didn't want to push the car. Like I said, I will watch the others, but there's more driver skill than the car itself.
you know what this is called? real life scenarios. no person out there is the best driver.

2001 911 TURBO WITH STAGE 5 UPGRADE... 650 HP. 11.5 SEC. 1/4 MILE WITH 19" RADIAL TIRES .
93 OCTANE USED .

my friends LS1 FC with 346rwhp made a 11.68 pass down the 1/4 on 91 oct (if that even helps) and it's a daily driver, full interior.

i believe in the straights, the RX7 would be right there with the 911T.

damian's car might have a little more juice than 350rwhp in his car
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:07 PM
Teching In

edit:ok, just watched the gt3 and the lambo, same situation. He pushes the car in the corner, I guess he has nothing to lose. I would love to see him drive one of those exotics. I bet he would put up some incredible times. Ok, soon as I get home I will watch the other one.

Like I said, no doubt a driver makes the track.
you can't hear the other engines, so there is now way you can say they aren't trying or pushing it. they took there cars there knowing what to expect, i don't know about you but i would push the hell out of it.

amature driver vs amature driver, that's the way to test the cars for the "real world."

just watch that video when you have time and make up your mind. in this video there is no excuse about those cars not being pushed to the limits.
Old 05-31-2006 | 04:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I found the rules extremely limiting in terms of what I was permitted to do to campaign an F-bod in SCCA sanctioned roadracing. Most of the suspension items I had planned were not allowed. At the end of the day, my bud and I decided we would not like to run a 300+hp car with minimal suspension upgrade and brakes to match (therefore the 944 came in and we'll be running it initially in ITS where it's not very competitive, but we feel safe about the car's power output when compared to its handling and braking ability - eventually, we'll see some action in NASA's 944cup).

The reality of all this is much different than the internet.
By the way, am I the only SCCA Competition Race Licensed driver doin' some trash talkin' in this thread?
Old 05-31-2006 | 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by l3it3r
I've run an RX8 before.. not impressed at all. The sad thing is, my buddy was following me in a 1990 Saab 900 Turbo and when the RX8 tried to run me, my friend in the Saab was passing the rx8 lol
Beware the RX8's potential. The main problem we are hitting with the RX8 is the VERY intrusive ECU. Currently, we have a few 8's out there running 300+rwhp on 5 psi boost. As far as handling, they are on par with the FD. I will submit that the FD is a far better handling vehicle than the 8 will probably ever be (2 seat roadster vs 4 seater with less weight). But the 8s suspension can be easily modded to surpass nearly all cars besides its sister, the 7.

I could go into great detail and give you links concerning potential upgrades on the RX8 but unless that information is called on (because it is so expansive) I will not include it. But I will mention a few current walls the community is hitting.

Porting. Since the relocation of the ports on the 8 makes it very hard to do any type of overly effective porting without comprimising the reliability of the motor we are all very hesistant to jump into the porting scheme. As well, the water jacket is SO close to the exhaust ports that one small slip will create doom for the 8.

Fuel system. The RX8 revs to 9600 rpms. It can go much, much higher. Preliminary expectations are that it can push 11k without having to worry too much about balancing and harmonics. But the fuel system can not provide fuel fast enough to the car leaning it out and creating detonation. In a piston motor detonation can be tolerated to a point. In a rotary, we shoot for NONE.

Reliable boost (heat and turbo sizing). There are many FI solutions out right now for the 8 with many ECU solutions to augment it (piggyback only). Heat is a HUGE issue. The rotary is a thermodynamic engine. The catalytic converter runs ~2200F (yes, that hot). Potential engine damage from overboost (from larger turbos) can blow up the engine. Similarly, smaller turbos do not spool enough boost past 7k RPMS to provide sufficient power. 5 psi boost at 5500 rpms will equate to 3.5psi at >7k rpms. Not really an efficient solution in either realm.

The ECU. This thing controls EVERYTHING. Standalone engine management is not really an option at this point since the computer controls everything. So unless you want to turn the 8 into a track/drag car (a lot of people value their warranties ) then this has become quite and obstacle.

There is one FI solution set to come out soon that will address ALMOST all of these issues. A brilliant man named Richard Paul (you should know him) is creating a supercharger for the 8 that provide reliable STAGED boost to address many issues. I have a link to our discussion on the 8 forum for those who would like to read it. Beware, the thread is over 225 pages long.

Once the collective community has addressed these issues and the warranties start flying off the 8 you will see a dramatic increase in 8's that will make attempts to dethrone the 7 as the major power producer. Just think, comparitively at the 7s lifespan, the 8 is already LIGHT years ahead of the 7 in power and potential. It produces more power than the 7 with equally sized turbos and similar setups. Finally, DI is coming in some form or another.
Old 05-31-2006 | 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by avatarqaz
There is one FI solution set to come out soon that will address ALMOST all of these issues. A brilliant man named Richard Paul (you should know him) is creating a supercharger for the 8 that provide reliable STAGED boost to address many issues.
Howdy there... How will that supercharger kit address the 8's "uncooperative" ECU?
Old 05-31-2006 | 07:43 PM
Teching In

ALMOST . Mr. Paul is trying to find a way to reverse engineer the PCM to deal with strictly the code itself. Initially, a total ECU reflash is being considered as a possibility.

Bear in mind though for those enthusiasts and people wanting to size up the competition that this solution will be a 'streetable' one. In other words it is meant to add power across the spectrum but not interfere with the smooth high revving nature of the rotary. Of course, people like me intend to take it to the next level

Last edited by avatarqaz; 05-31-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I found the rules extremely limiting in terms of what I was permitted to do to campaign an F-bod in SCCA sanctioned roadracing. Most of the suspension items I had planned were not allowed. At the end of the day, my bud and I decided we would not like to run a 300+hp car with minimal suspension upgrade and brakes to match (therefore the 944 came in and we'll be running it initially in ITS where it's not very competitive, but we feel safe about the car's power output when compared to its handling and braking ability - eventually, we'll see some action in NASA's 944cup).

The reality of all this is much different than the internet.
By the way, am I the only SCCA Competition Race Licensed driver doin' some trash talkin' in this thread?
Good choice.

Side note here, but relating to the 1.13G cornering mention above...I just read that the new 911 GT3 will be capable of 1.4G's during cornering.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

^ That's SICK.
Old 06-01-2006 | 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rastarajah
you can't hear the other engines, so there is now way you can say they aren't trying or pushing it. they took there cars there knowing what to expect, i don't know about you but i would push the hell out of it.

amature driver vs amature driver, that's the way to test the cars for the "real world."

just watch that video when you have time and make up your mind. in this video there is no excuse about those cars not being pushed to the limits.
Well I agree with that. But if I was driving my 150k car, I would be more inclined to wreck my 25k investment over my 150k investment. None of these people have sponsors or very few. These are their own cars. There's a big difference when there is amatures involved.

See how they pull ahead than brake very hard. It boils down to pushing the car in the corner. See the rx7 guy is more risky, it's a 25k investment that he would lose. Like I said, there's a big difference, say anything you want, it's their own vehicles, your going to be more cautious, period. Like someone else said, drivers are 80% of the race.

Give me a break, lol, the 911 and gt3 were putting bus lengths ahead on the straights, than afraid to take the corners hard. How do you think that rx7 was keeping up. Oh, now the rx7 out handles a 911 and gt3 now. Why do we even have exotic cars than.

Amatures and Professions are totaly different. The amatures don't want to wreck their 150k or 200k+ for a gt3. Pros don't care, they are paid to do it.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 06-01-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:58 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Good choice.

Thanks!
I'm going up to work on it next week (car's near Summit Point)- finishing touches to have it track ready.

Good to see other F-bod / Porsche guys on the site.
Old 06-01-2006 | 01:14 PM
Teching In

Well I agree with that. But if I was driving my 150k car, I would be more inclined to wreck my 25k investment over my 150k investment. None of these people have sponsors or very few. These are their own cars. There's a big difference when there is amatures involved.

See how they pull ahead than brake very hard. It boils down to pushing the car in the corner. See the rx7 guy is more risky, it's a 25k investment that he would lose. Like I said, there's a big difference, say anything you want, it's their own vehicles, your going to be more cautious, period. Like someone else said, drivers are 80% of the race.

Give me a break, lol, the 911 and gt3 were putting bus lengths ahead on the straights, than afraid to take the corners hard. How do you think that rx7 was keeping up. Oh, now the rx7 out handles a 911 and gt3 now. Why do we even have exotic cars than.

Amatures and Professions are totaly different. The amatures don't want to wreck their 150k or 200k+ for a gt3. Pros don't care, they are paid to do it.
..what's the excuse for this one now?