Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

*Video* 02 WS6 Vs A4 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RikkiTikkiGTO
Are you going to hit a 1/4 mile track anytime soon? I'd like to see real numbers on video rather than calculations of what could or should happen with your car. I just wanna know what your trapping on a 1/4 mile track with your mods. Must be pretty high as previously stated to pull on the WS6 and GTO.
Not necessarily...There are a lot of different factors in street racing. There was people in all of the cars, i'm not sure how much gas the GTO had. He drove a long way to get where he was, so the car was pretty hot. He was an experienced driver, but not a pro driver who traps 108 stock...That night, his car was probably trapping about 103-105. Those higher trap speeds you see are done in cooler weather with great drivers. So, you can't say just because I was pulling on a GTO means I trap 107+.

The best race I have for an example of how quick the car is, was against the A4 WS6. Although, they don't trap 107 either. There probably no more than 103 or so. Which is why it makes sense...I don't know what my car would run, and I don't really care. I never started any of this. People were just trying to calculate it. (Mostly just one person) If you calculate it right, it's low 13's...Who cares...
Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
If you calculate it right, it's low 13's...Who cares...
But low 13's @ ???. That is the real question. The trap speed would certainly tell the bigger story here. Because if you trap 106-110 then I will know you have more mods then what you listed and the GTO highway reel-in becomes more explainable. If you trap 101-105 (being at seal level I could see 105 in cool air) then your mod list becomes much more believable and the GTO reel-in becomes a driver issue.

And I only quote this because turn around is fair play

Your right, my mods do not equal a 12.7 @ 107+
It's you're not "your" when used in the "you are" context. I can play grammar police too

I'm just messing with you. It has been fun debating in this thread and if you recall I did say "good kill" way back when in my first post.

But on a brighter note, the graduation ceremony last night was beautiful. My daughter looked absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I have ever been more proud as a parent. Later today I get to look forward to about thirty guests for her party (although most are family or people I work with). I stocked my bar with booze, my bar frig is packed with half a dozen different types of beer, the pool table has been re-felted and the deep freezer is loaded with ice. I think my wife might have even bought stuff to eat too

And the best part will be when I see my daughters face light up. She thinks she is getting a laptop for graduation from us. What she doesn't know is one of my co-workers (and very good friend) is driving to my house in a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire with only 15K on the clock. Fully loaded with MP3 and power sun roof. She is going to **** her pants when she opens the gift, finds a key and then see's a beautiful black car in the driveway with a huge hot pink bow on it. I can't wait!

Enjoy the weekend guys.

Last edited by darrensls1; 06-24-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
And the best part will be when I see my daughters face light up. She thinks she is getting a laptop for graduation from us. What she doesn't know is one of my co-workers (and very good friend) is driving to my house in a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire with only 15K on the clock. Fully loaded with MP3 and power sun roof. She is going to **** her pants when she opens the gift, finds a key and then see's a beautiful black car in the driveway with a huge hot pink bow on it. I can't wait!

Enjoy the weekend guys.
Dang, better then the 86 Skylark (Grad '96) I got for mine, which I quickly blew the motor up in O well, I thought that was way too much from them, and was very greatfull for the Lark.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Why do you argue with these ignorant ls1 guys(not all) that think there is no way an lt1 could beat an ls1. It's pointless, they want to boost theier ego's and hate for it to be popped. I heart racing ls1's at the track.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

But low 13's @ ???. That is the real question. The trap speed would certainly tell the bigger story here. Because if you trap 106-110 then I will know you have more mods then what you listed and the GTO highway reel-in becomes more explainable. If you trap 101-105 (being at seal level I could see 105 in cool air) then your mod list becomes much more believable and the GTO reel-in becomes a driver issue.

And I only quote this because turn around is fair play

It's you're not "your" when used in the "you are" context. I can play grammar police too

I'm just messing with you. It has been fun debating in this thread and if you recall I did say "good kill" way back when in my first post.

But on a brighter note, the graduation ceremony last night was beautiful. My daughter looked absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I have ever been more proud as a parent. Later today I get to look forward to about thirty guests for her party (although most are family or people I work with). I stocked my bar with booze, my bar frig is packed with half a dozen different types of beer, the pool table has been re-felted and the deep freezer is loaded with ice. I think my wife might have even bought stuff to eat too

Enjoy the weekend guys.
I can't believe you quoted me and started talking about this again when I wasn't even talking to you...Making a mistake of your and you're is a little different then spelling tomorrow wrong. You obviously didn't have a typo, you just thought it was spelled with an a..."O"and "A" are not close to eachother on the keyboard.

Don't worry, i'm just messing with you.

I'm really tired of trying to explain this to you. It happend...If I trapped 107-110 I would have flew past that GTO. Like I said, his car must have been very hot and he had a passenger as well. Maybe he also had a full tank of gas. He would be trapping right around what I "should" be, or a little less...Also, since he isn't a "pro" driver, lets knock off another MPH. This isn't a driver error, most people just can't drive like someone who does that for a living...I'm sorry, you must be an amazing driver and can do just as well as anyone...If you were driving the GTO, I'm sure things would have been different.

Comparing a stock GTO's trap speed, in cool weather, driven by pro's, to a street race, in hot weather, with a passenger, is just stupid...I have been to the pontiac dealership and I have all the paperwork on what *they* have run in a stock GTO. The MPH you see, is the best that they could achieve...(weather conditions, driver, how much gas is in the car, etc) Everything matters, they want there car to seem like everybody can run those times...What happened in that video makes perfect sense.

Also, me being behind the GTO at that speed helps a little bit with wind. Of course we don't look at all these little things, lets just focus on GTO stock specifications and quarter mile times.

Have a great weekend!! I hope she loves the car.

Hopefully she isn't too excited about the laptop. You wouldn't want her to be dissapointed...Maybe you should get her both.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

I can't believe you quoted me and started talking about this again when I wasn't even talking to you...Making a mistake of your and you're is a little different then spelling tomorrow wrong. You obviously didn't have a typo, you just thought it was spelled with an a..."O"and "A" are not close to eachother on the keyboard.

Don't worry, i'm just messing with you.
Sure it was a typo

I'm really tired of trying to explain this to you. It happend...If I trapped 107-110 I would have flew past that GTO. Like I said, his car must have been very hot and he had a passenger as well. Maybe he also had a full tank of gas. He would be trapping right around what I "should" be, or a little less...Also, since he isn't a "pro" driver, lets knock off another MPH. This isn't a driver error, most people just can't drive like someone who does that for a living...I'm sorry, you must be an amazing driver and can do just as well as anyone...If you were driving the GTO, I'm sure things would have been different.
Definately not true. The 2005 M6 GTO should be trapping (at sea level) 108-110 and you should be in the 103-105 range. So if you trapped 107-110 then the story makes sense but your mod list doesn't. If you trap 103-105 then the mod list looks right but pulling an LS2 on the highway doesn't. It's just a no win situation.

And a full tank of gas (while not the best) will not make that big of a factor. I was only running one tenth slower and maybe half a MPH when I raced with a full tank vs a quarter tank. And unless the passenger was a sumo wrestler, it doesn't make up for your lack of high rpm breathing heads and the 3-5 mph trap speed your giving up.

Comparing a stock GTO's trap speed, in cool weather, driven by pro's, to a street race, in hot weather, with a passenger, is just stupid...I have been to the pontiac dealership and I have all the paperwork on what *they* have run in a stock GTO. The MPH you see, is the best that they could achieve...(weather conditions, driver, how much gas is in the car, etc) Everything matters, they want there car to seem like everybody can run those times...What happened in that video makes perfect sense.
Here is the problem with that argument. If hot weather was hurting him then it was equally hurting you. His trap goes down in heat and so does yours. Make sense? So all that really matters here is power, gears, driver skills and race weight. Now when I quoted 108-110 that was not from Evan Smith or any magazine. It was from researching the new GTO's (I was considering one) at:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/

These are just your average Joes who were telling the community what thier goats were running right off the showroom floor. Lets not forget that if indeed your heads are stock (and I certainly have my doubts) the LT1 motor will feel real "sluggish" at anything over say 90 MPH. So at this point the GTO should have been running away. That is if your mod list is accurate

Also, me being behind the GTO at that speed helps a little bit with wind. Of course we don't look at all these little things, lets just focus on GTO stock specifications and quarter mile times.
Lol, why is that? Did you have a hurricane adding an extra 50 ponies to your car?

Have a great weekend!! I hope she loves the car.

Hopefully she isn't too excited about the laptop. You wouldn't want her to be dissapointed...Maybe you should get her both.
The weekend was great. She was shocked to say the least with the gift. I got a crappy 1979 Monte Carlo with 100K miles for my HS graduation and I was thrilled with that. I couldn't even imagine how she felt seeing a mint condition 2005 Black Sunfire with power everything, MP3 player, ect.

She jumped on the hood of the car and sprawled out like she was giving it a big hug. It was classic. And as far as the laptop goes, she all ready has one but it's kind of old so I was looking to upgrade her with a better one in the fall. Until then she has her new car to play with
Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

ha...i got the title to a car that i had already paid for as a graduation present, stand back . then again, had i literally missed ONE more day of school i wouldn't have graduated at all.

being an underachiever is the best.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Teching In

where's the video?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

the LT1 motor will feel real "sluggish" at anything over say 90 MPH. So at this point the GTO should have been running away. That is if your mod list is accurate
Yeah, Ill show you how sluggish mine runs at over 90mph.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Yeah, Ill show you how sluggish mine runs at over 90mph.
Yeah, yeah. I never said it wasn't fixable
Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Yeah, yeah. I never said it wasn't fixable
Fixable?

My Stock A4 shot up to 140 mph fairly easy when it was nearly stock, just as fast as an LS1 with 2.73's would.

But its ok, those LS1's are fixable
Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Fixable?

My Stock A4 shot up to 140 mph fairly easy when it was nearly stock, just as fast as an LS1 with 2.73's would.

But its ok, those LS1's are fixable
Take a stock LT1 and a stock LS1 with the Z tire package. Both can be M6's or both can be autos with comparible gears (doesn't really matter) and run them from 60-140. Both can and will get there but the LS1 gets there a lot sooner. Part of that is the HP difference but a big part of it is the stock head design.

The 23 degree LT1 heads just don't make the upper RPM power that the 15 degree LS1 heads do. But how often does anyone really need to go to 140 anyway? If top end power was a huge concern and I owned a LT1, I would do full exhaust and a decent head/cam package. Or at the very least port the stock heads and do a nice size cam. There's all the top end you'll ever need and then some
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I own both, actually the LT1 is going in my third gen behind a T-56 but just from experience the LT1 feels stronger on the low end and the LS1 comes alive on up in the RPM's. For instance, I've got a 98 Z-28 A4 with 3.23 gears and my buddy has a 95 LT1, both with the same mods, he'll pull me slowly until about 55 then my car will pull him back in and go on by. Great race BTW! I never underestimate an LT1 if it pulls up beside me at a redlight.