Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

*Video* 02 WS6 Vs A4 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I love the guy that called LT1s "slow *** boat anchors".

A lot of them are. A lot of them are not. You'll find out the hard way one day.
Sarcasm is great, I just think thats how alot of LS1 owners feel about them, not all, just some....
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slowmofo
Sarcasm is great, I just think thats how alot of LS1 owners feel about them, not all, just some....
I was looking at some of your pictures and I noticed you have the black piece across the back of your car. I was wondering where I could get that and how much it would be? Also, is it really easy to put on? I think it looks good. Since my car is white, I think the black would look good with the dark tint and black Z28 symbols.
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by burnzilla
And furthermore, why the f*ck are you GTO people running your mouth? You have 350-400 hp 04-06 model cars, that only run with a 93-97 bolt on LT1, and you think thats an admirable advantage?

I need a ciggarette....
Ok I had to register for this one. I'm an avid lurker around here, but felt I had to step in on this statement. I'm not here to run my mouth but the GTO is not on the same level as Camaros of any year or Trans Ams. Its a Grand Touring car hence the G and T in GTO. I have no doubt your car can run like you say it does, but saying that we should be unhappy with our cars because a 93-97 bolt on LT1 can keep up with us??? Thats nuts. My GTO is a entry level Luxury car inside. It has a better interior than any Camaro or Trans Am has ever had. It has more seat room front and back than either too. The GTO also has an IRS. Oh ya that might make a bit of a difference on an 1/8 mile track ya think? Lets not forget that my GTO ways about as much as your LT1 with a 600cc sport bike stuffed under your rear hatch. But thats ok with me. I like the luxury of the GTO over the brute strength the lighter WS6 gives you. And the statement that a 93-97 bolt on LT1 can keep up with us sounds a lil Ricerish to me. Its like when a Ricer says you have 4 more cylinders than me and my twin turbo race weight Civic making 400hp smoked you. Well ya... your modded, you've added mods that got you to the straight line performance of a heavier yet nicer car. Thats great for you and I too hope to mod my car so theGTO can hang with "modded" 03-04 Cobra's.

Once again I'm not bashing you or the LT1. I'm just saying my 400HP GTO will run low low low 13's high 12's stock on stock tires, and to me for what I get in the overall package thats friggin awesome.

End Rant...

Last edited by RikkiTikkiGTO; 06-20-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2006 | 11:36 PM
Launching!

HOLY CRAP!
Old 06-20-2006 | 11:40 PM
Teching In

Is that holy crap at me? I didn't mean to be offensive or hateful to anyone so I hope it didn't come out that way. I just love my car for what it is. A track monster its not. An awesome daily driver hell yes.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Nice vid...the outcome is about right IMO. A bolt-on lt1 vs a stock vert ls1 with questionable driving skills....your lt1 does run very strong.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RikkiTikkiGTO
Ok I had to register for this one. I'm an avid lurker around here, but felt I had to step in on this statement. I'm not here to run my mouth
I stopped reading right there. I didnt point to anybody, and I didn't say the GTO's were slow, or not respectable. The cars themselves, are SICK.
IMO, I like the new GTO's, and might actually consider one. ( But the Terminator is looking damn good.)

That being said...
Some people rant and rave about thier new powerhouse and how it will and should beat anything they race, and choose to argue if it doesn't.
Thus, the thread goes 12 pages and eventually gets locked down.

And the statement that a 93-97 bolt on LT1 can keep up with us sounds a lil Ricerish to me
The LT1 is old, outdated and outmatched. However,
The LT1 is a very potent motor capable of very respectable power and speed.
Quite easily I might add.

And if you don't understand the term " Ricer ", please don't try and use it.
The sentence " it can keep up " was to help people who don't know understand the LT1's capability.

What you typed doesnt even make sense.

If youre still confused, PM Vendetta and tell him, burnzilla sent you to find ou the definition of a ricer. He put me in my place, and will gladly put you in yours. ( No pun intended, )

_____

Go Miami Heat!!
D-Wade, im buying your shoes tomorrow in celebration of his first championship!

Last edited by burnzilla; 06-21-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:09 AM
Teching In

How did i misuse Ricer? You don't have to drive an import with a bunch of stickers to have the mentality of a Ricer. Its the mindset not the car. Like I said I'm not ******* the LT1. More power to you. Just cuz I'm new to THIS board doesn't make me a true newbie in the LSX arena. And my first post was in defense of my car.... oh well.

And I don't think I need anyone to really explain the word Ricer to me. Unless he coined the phrase and every other forum in the world is using it wrong. I'm not confused in any way shape or form. If what I typed doesn't make sense than PM me. Maybe I can understand what i wrote because I typed it, and didn't take into consideration other people wouldn't get what I was saying.

It seems simple tho. Ricers always talk **** once they have dumped tons of money into their car, and brag how they can beat a stock car that has a bigger engine. Thats Rice to me, and so is stickers and big wings on FWD cars. Thats how I took your statement. "You have 350-400 hp 04-06 model cars, that ONLY run with a 93-97 bolt on LT1, and you think thats an admirable advantage?" This was not intended to make GTO owners happy so you gotta expect a lil retort on the Goats behalf.

I am in no way saying the Goat can't lose. Or that you couldn't take one. I understand where your coming from with the refuse to lose mentality some people on here have. And thats one of the reasons I never registered on here earlier. Lots o' GTO bashing on this site to.

Your LT1 with a solid rear axle would no doubt kill me off the line. IRS sucks off the launch but its incredible when cornering and going over rough roads.

Last edited by RikkiTikkiGTO; 06-21-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:21 AM
Teching In

And the terminator's are bad ***! Possibly the best set up to get cheap instant monster power, ever dropped by the Gods of horsepower. But God the interior on those cars is I love every single thing else about them tho. Would've gotten one over the GTO but The one I found was WAY WAY over priced.
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:37 AM
Launching!

Your LT1 with a solid rear axle would no doubt kill me off the line. IRS sucks off the launch but its incredible when cornering and going over rough roads.
Do you think this is burnzilla's car were talking about? I'm confused, it seems like your having a discussion about me, without me....It doesn't matter though.

All I will say is that the GTO in the video is pretty fast off the line. I ran him a couple times from a dig. He has DR's, so that helped and he is a good driver. The first time from a dig he launched hard and gripped perfectly and got about a half a car on me. (I started pulling) The 2nd dig run I got traction like him and pulled a little in front off the line.

Honestly, I think that GTO will get a 1.8 60' at the track with the way I saw it launch. I was impressed...
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Nice vid...the outcome is about right IMO. A bolt-on lt1 vs a stock vert ls1 with questionable driving skills....your lt1 does run very strong.
You hit the nail right on the head. A4 LT1 is giving up about 50 rwhp to a M6 LS1. He made up some of that ground with bolt-ons, some with weighing a little less and the rest with flawless auto shifting vs a not so perfectly driven manual.

Looks to me like that WS6 needs a few mods of his own, a diet and perhaps driving lessons

Good kill.
Old 06-21-2006 | 03:31 PM
Launching!

You guys act like he sucks at driving...This driver also has a class B. He's been driving manuals for a long time and you can even hear in the video when he hits second and chirps the tires. Do you really think that someone else could have changed the outcome significantly enough to really matter?
Old 06-21-2006 | 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
You guys act like he sucks at driving...This driver also has a class B. He's been driving manuals for a long time and you can even hear in the video when he hits second and chirps the tires. Do you really think that someone else could have changed the outcome significantly enough to really matter?
Lets look at what we know first.

Your car is a Z28 LT1 with the following mods:

LT headers, matching Y-pipe, CAI and a tune.
You have to concede that being an automatic you won't be in the best ET/MPH or RWHP range for stock LT1's. Stock for stock manuals have less HP loss and better gears. That said it's fair to say your car left the factory with 250-255 rwhp. You can add 30 for exhaust and 10 for CAI which I honestly think is being generous. That makes your car roughly 290-295 rwhp.

Take into account that your car probably started out at 14.0 @ 100 you should have increased to around 13.5 @ 103. If your close to this then all appears "normal". If your a little faster or slower (2 tenths) then it's within what I would consider an acceptable range for factory freak/slug. But if your car runs 12.8 @ 107 on street tires (for example) then there is something more to your car. Maybe a previous owner put in a hot cam. Maybe a previous owner did some sort of ported heads. Hell maybe a previous owner did alot of weight reduction (although this one is doubtful).

I know bolt-on LT1's can get into the 12's. But yours is auto with just a few bolt-ons, no stall and no gears. Gotta be a little realistic on what that car would do vs one with all bolt-ons and a stall.

Now look at the WS6. It's a 02 M6 so it'll be the best running LS1 made minus the fact it's one of heaviest. So realistically this car should be 300-305 rwhp with 3.42 gears. I estimate it should run the quarter mile around 13.3 @ 105. That is with a good driver of course. Bad driver could make that car go down a track at 14.2 @ 101.

So unless your car has more in it then even you know about, the race between you and a 02 WS6 should be a neck and neck nail biter with the LS1 having the edge only past 100 mph. But that didn't happen here. You pulled him easily which tells me one of four things is present.

1). Your car has more done to it that even you know about.

2). The WS6 has engine problems and is down on HP.

3). The WS6 driver was not very good (granny shifting, slow shifts, ect)

4). The race was fixed for our entertainment since there have been alot of LS1 vs LT1 threads lately.

So if number 3 was the only one present then yes I do think a professional driver would have turned that race around. If 1,2 or 4 are the case then even Evan Smith wouldn't help
Old 06-21-2006 | 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

I would definitely think that an LT1 that runs 8.4 in the 1/8 mile could very well do what the video showed. I think that what we have here is a factory freak (which doesn't seem all that uncommon) since he has a very low 13, if not high 12, second car with not that many mods.
Old 06-21-2006 | 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by burnzilla
The LT1 is old, outdated and outmatched. However,
The LT1 is a very potent motor capable of very respectable power and speed.
Quite easily I might add.
you speak as if all of the automatic lt1s are capable of running what this one does with those few mods. you are wrong. for every 1 lt1 a4 that runs sub 8.5 with minimal mods, there are 25 that can barely get under 9.0 with the same mods.

if all is legit, this car is a factory freak. this car has about 25 rwhp more than it should, period. for those hating, whatever the reason...bottom line: it runs good - get over it.
Old 06-21-2006 | 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Lets look at what we know first.

Your car is a Z28 LT1 with the following mods:

You have to concede that being an automatic you won't be in the best ET/MPH or RWHP range for stock LT1's. Stock for stock manuals have less HP loss and better gears. That said it's fair to say your car left the factory with 250-255 rwhp. You can add 30 for exhaust and 10 for CAI which I honestly think is being generous. That makes your car roughly 290-295 rwhp.

Take into account that your car probably started out at 14.0 @ 100 you should have increased to around 13.5 @ 103. If your close to this then all appears "normal". If your a little faster or slower (2 tenths) then it's within what I would consider an acceptable range for factory freak/slug. But if your car runs 12.8 @ 107 on street tires (for example) then there is something more to your car. Maybe a previous owner put in a hot cam. Maybe a previous owner did some sort of ported heads. Hell maybe a previous owner did alot of weight reduction (although this one is doubtful).

I know bolt-on LT1's can get into the 12's. But yours is auto with just a few bolt-ons, no stall and no gears. Gotta be a little realistic on what that car would do vs one with all bolt-ons and a stall.

Now look at the WS6. It's a 02 M6 so it'll be the best running LS1 made minus the fact it's one of heaviest. So realistically this car should be 300-305 rwhp with 3.42 gears. I estimate it should run the quarter mile around 13.3 @ 105. That is with a good driver of course. Bad driver could make that car go down a track at 14.2 @ 101.

So unless your car has more in it then even you know about, the race between you and a 02 WS6 should be a neck and neck nail biter with the LS1 having the edge only past 100 mph. But that didn't happen here. You pulled him easily which tells me one of four things is present.

1). Your car has more done to it that even you know about.

2). The WS6 has engine problems and is down on HP.

3). The WS6 driver was not very good (granny shifting, slow shifts, ect)

4). The race was fixed for our entertainment since there have been alot of LS1 vs LT1 threads lately.

So if number 3 was the only one present then yes I do think a professional driver would have turned that race around. If 1,2 or 4 are the case then even Evan Smith wouldn't help
I want you to keep in mind that 290Rwhp in an A4 is a lot...With a tune being an auto, you stay in your powerband most of time. Which is why the car can seem faster. Torque is a big factor as well.

Anyway, I got another race for you. Check it out, i'm going to post it in a few. 02 WS6 auto Vs me. (There can't be any driver problems this time. Also, it's not a convertable, so it's lighter)
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

I want you to keep in mind that 290Rwhp in an A4 is a lot...With a tune being an auto, you stay in your powerband most of time. Which is why the car can seem faster. Torque is a big factor as well.

Anyway, I got another race for you. Check it out, i'm going to post it in a few. 02 WS6 auto Vs me. (There can't be any driver problems this time. Also, it's not a convertable, so it's lighter)
290 rwhp in a auto is mid 13's (on stock stall). I know, I was there once. If your car runs 12's then there is more to your mods then we are being told. Perhaps even more then you were told when you bought the car. Factory freaks for the most part are a myth. Your car right now would need 325 rwhp to be where you say it is (stock weight at least). That means you had at least 285 rwhp stock in a A4 LT1

I know a few posters here want to believe that but denile isn't just a river in Egypt Or maybe GM gave you a magic 4L60E that doesn't eat any FWHP.

If you're really on the up and up then I bet you have ported heads or a hot cam. Something internal is a bit beefier then stock even if just a little.
Old 06-21-2006 | 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
if all is legit, this car is a factory freak. this car has about 25 rwhp more than it should, period. for those hating, whatever the reason...bottom line: it runs good - get over it.
There is no way he has a 280+ rwhp stock LT1 and modded from there to hit 325ish with just exhaust and CAI. If you think that kind of a factory freak really exists then all I can say is WOW

And let me tell you about a stock LS1 that dynos 340 rwhp. It also has less then 5% drivetrain loss because GM liked to do that once and awhile. Kind of like finding a prize in a cereal box. You could get something crappy and you could get a free 30+ rwhp
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by s346k
you speak as if all of the automatic lt1s are capable of running what this one does with those few mods. you are wrong. for every 1 lt1 a4 that runs sub 8.5 with minimal mods, there are 25 that can barely get under 9.0 , if all is legit, this car is a factory freak. this car has about 25 rwhp more than it should, period..
I ran a 13.89 Stock. ( Well, CAI and Basic Tune... !Top Speed Limiter, !Skip Shift...etc. )
With just a CAI, Exhaust and Stall, it would be low 13's easy, with proper traction.
Yes my Z runs good, and has suspension work, but its not freak.
Old 06-21-2006 | 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

BTW I'm not hating on the LT1. If you did get some free internal modding then that's a good thing. I'd much rather be faster then I thought then slower any day of the week.