Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'02 GT vs. 350 Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
I must have misread what he was saying.

Anyway, the analogy he was trying to give has no parallel to what we are talking about. Most LS1 owners can acknowledge that there cars are slower than cobras.

You need to look at the total aspects of each car: weight,gearing,hp and areo dynamics of each car. Everyone of those categories is owned by the 350z. As speed increases, so does length. Thats why the mph through the quarter is atleast 4-5 mph difference(287hp model).

This is kind of off topic but this is a vid of a 350z stock 06 vs an STI( which most of you say is fast or quick) with an exhaust and intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjN1qCB9KKg

Now if I where to say to you, which is faster a stock sti or an lt1, 95% of you would say an sti. But you can clearly see what a 350z is capable of stock.

On the street anything can and will happen. That video of the 350Z vs the STI. did you see when the 350 passed the STI? It was ~21 seconds into the video. The race started on second 3. Thats WELL past the 1/4 mile, and it is pretty commonly accepted that the STI doesn't have the greatest top end.

I think you are trying to defend 350z's too much to the point where you are making assumptions. You took one video and used it as an example, and when people told of stock LT1's hitting high 13's stock, you pointed to the video. Just because you have never seen a stock LT1 run that well, doesn't mean they don't. C'mon man, chill out a little bit, you are a cool guy, just I think you are trying to defend your car a little too much. 350z's are quick in stock form. Not every vehicle is running at its optimum level at all times. **** happens on the street.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

IMHO, the 350Z is a turbo car that came NA to save costs. Its got a bullet proof driveline, and Iron block, somewhat low compression, and is generally overbuilt.

Its great NA for 99% of the public. If you want to go fast in one, get a FI setup.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

Far behind in the racing seen , what the hell are you talking about. I suggest you do some research before posting some idiotic statement like that.
I suggest you just stop posting period. Every one of your posts is some stupid import rant trying to prove a how some gutless riceburner is better than some type of American car. Enough already, nobody cares.

And as for the statement about auto 350Z's "walking" 99-04 Mustang GT's: BULLSHIT.

Even with both cars being manual, its a drivers race. 350Z's don't "walk all over" anything, even a stock LS1 will put buslengths on a 350Z. They are not fast cars by any means. I've seen 6-speed 350Z's get walked by stock Cobalt SS S/C's, give me a break.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

I must have misread what he was saying.

Anyway, the analogy he was trying to give has no parallel to what we are talking about. Most LS1 owners can acknowledge that there cars are slower than cobras.

You need to look at the total aspects of each car: weight,gearing,hp and areo dynamics of each car. Everyone of those categories is owned by the 350z. As speed increases, so does length. Thats why the mph through the quarter is atleast 4-5 mph difference(287hp model).

This is kind of off topic but this is a vid of a 350z stock 06 vs an STI( which most of you say is fast or quick) with an exhaust and intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjN1qCB9KKg

Now if I where to say to you, which is faster a stock sti or an lt1, 95% of you would say an sti. But you can clearly see what a 350z is capable of stock.
Is there not a 350Z forum you can pollute? I had a 94 LT1 TA with a flowmaster catback and a K&N FIPK. I can tell you that my LS1 would sure as hell not **** stomp the hell out of it as I did this kid's intake/exhaust 350Z M6 many, many times. As for a 350Z vs a 99-04 GT, that is most certainly one of the most fair and driver's races there is, I see it all the time. By the way, the best time I've seen any 350Z go at the track was a 14.0.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Ive driven both a stock 350Z and an LT1 (plus modded ones). The z is a very nice car, but it is crazy for anyone to say it should always beat a stock LT1 or GT. They don't have the torque or the gearing to outright pull either of those cars in any scenerio. You have to go with driver skill as the deciding factor.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Far behind in the racing seen , what the hell are you talking about. I suggest you do some research before posting some idiotic statement like that.
like? america has a whole legacy of fast cars from the 1960's to now. how many does japan have? 14 second 350Z's? stock LT1's did that 12 years ago. $90,000 NSX's that get beat by stock $25,000 camaros? japan has a long way to go to catch up. some of their cars move but when you compare the average american speed car to the average japanese speed car, there's no contest in whose side everyone would be on. and no, no one auto-x's on the streets, don't give me that crap.

i'm sure your car is quick man, but you're kinda a tool.

and the smartest man on the forums is:

Originally Posted by MillaTK
On the street anything can and will happen. That video of the 350Z vs the STI. did you see when the 350 passed the STI? It was ~21 seconds into the video. The race started on second 3. Thats WELL past the 1/4 mile, and it is pretty commonly accepted that the STI doesn't have the greatest top end.

I think you are trying to defend 350z's too much to the point where you are making assumptions. You took one video and used it as an example, and when people told of stock LT1's hitting high 13's stock, you pointed to the video. Just because you have never seen a stock LT1 run that well, doesn't mean they don't. C'mon man, chill out a little bit, you are a cool guy, just I think you are trying to defend your car a little too much. 350z's are quick in stock form. Not every vehicle is running at its optimum level at all times. **** happens on the street.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock vs stock camaro Lt1and 350z

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...A817AB8FB8.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...804FCC1EA1.htm

Bitch please. Lt1's are slow as hell. Not even a comparison

Your stupied, LT1s still are a bit fast than 06 GTs
Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
I suggest you just stop posting period. Every one of your posts is some stupid import rant trying to prove a how some gutless riceburner is better than some type of American car. Enough already, nobody cares.

And as for the statement about auto 350Z's "walking" 99-04 Mustang GT's: BULLSHIT.

Even with both cars being manual, its a drivers race. 350Z's don't "walk all over" anything, even a stock LS1 will put buslengths on a 350Z. They are not fast cars by any means. I've seen 6-speed 350Z's get walked by stock Cobalt SS S/C's, give me a break.

I have to agree, 25PSI im on your side for sticking up for imports when ignorant HILLYBILLYs bash somthing they dont know about.

But you are kinda nutswinging a bit much////

Im not a 350Z fan at all, there are a few turbo ones around here and they arnt that great or crazy fast. They are just decently quick and thats it, the only one thats fast around here is a shop car at GRD but he will only do rollons.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue04
Ive driven both a stock 350Z and an LT1 (plus modded ones). The z is a very nice car, but it is crazy for anyone to say it should always beat a stock LT1 or GT. They don't have the torque or the gearing to outright pull either of those cars in any scenerio. You have to go with driver skill as the deciding factor.

What do you mean they dont have the torque are the gearing. I dont think you know what the hell you are talking about. How is it that the z traps higher than the lt1?

I'm getting tired of hearing about torque from when this is not what determines a race. If you make 400ft lb of torque at 2000 rpms, keep your foot at 2000 rpms through the quarter and see what you run.

Take a 2003 v6 mustang and run it against a stock s2000. Mustang makes over 100ft lbs more torque and see who would win. Which is faster:

ls1 with 600rwhp and 400ftlb or
ls1 with 400rwhp and 600ftlb
Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
I have to agree, 25PSI im on your side for sticking up for imports when ignorant HILLYBILLYs bash somthing they dont know about.

But you are kinda nutswinging a bit much////

Im not a 350Z fan at all, there are a few turbo ones around here and they arnt that great or crazy fast. They are just decently quick and thats it, the only one thats fast around here is a shop car at GRD but he will only do rollons.

Its not that I am "nutswinging" its that most people on here dont go past this site!

I dont know what you consider fast, but mid to low 12's at 114+ on average street tires is pretty quick to me. Most 350z's are only pushing that amount and are running really decent times. Hell I ran a 12.3 at 115 at 7.5 psi with a 2.2 60ft. What other import do you know that makes 400-420rwhp on 7-8psi? My car is at Autobanh in Houston and should be ready to hit the streets sometime in August or early September. I hoping for 700rwhp at 18psi.

I'm taking the mr2 out hopefully this weekend to the track to see how she runs. Its been out for nearly 3 months in the body shop(dont ask) putting on a body kit and changing colors. I'm going to up the boost to around 35psi to see how she does. Hopefully I can make one pass at the end on that amount and see if I can crack the 140mph mark.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Hope you dont break any axels, my freind has a MR2 hes building he has a 93 trans? With LSD he swapped in and hes worried about the axels with drag radials.

Ive driven a few G35s and a 350Z, I was able to bet the living crap outta them. Handling was really nice, But the power felt num maybe because the motor is so smooth along with the drive by wire and power ban, I didnt like it.
I didnt feel connected to the car, dont know if that makes any sense but a few people who I know have said the same thing.

The handling is really really nice, I liked that alot.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Teching In

what car do you feel connected to? you don't mean a LS1 car do you?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

I posted a race a little while ago. I know that an LT1 and a Z are close with the advantage to the Z when they are stock. My boss had a 96 or 97 Z28 that had a full exhaust, intake, and reflash of some sort. Now I'm stock with a jim wolf intake.....rolling on 19's that doesn't help me one bit. But we went from 40 mph to 125 and he was only able to put maybe a car on me. I had to brake when he cut me off cause we caught up to traffic to quickly that's how close I was. From a stop I think it would have been worst but from a roll if he was stock I think I would of had him. He was real suprised with my car. A lot of people say that they don't feel a pull in the car but it hangs with a lot of "quick to fast" cars. I really do think it's because the VQ is really smooth that you don't notice it. The 300ZX was the same way.

25PSI-

How's that new setup treating you on the car? Have you run that black camaro since you guys were so close last time?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

an AUTO 350z ran 13.6 in the 1/4 stock. so im giving them credit where credit is do. hough most are around 14-14.4 second cars. they generally are faster than mustang gts. and from a roll will easily beat a mustang gt.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

It has a butter like power band, its not raw you would have to drive one to know what im talking about.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

My stock a4 95' 2.73 Trans Am not only caught up to a 350Z, but it did so when the *** jumped me at 35 mph and i took a second to figure out he had gunned it, all in all I pulled 2-3 cars (catching up) and ended up on his bumper by 90 and let off. He had 1 passenger. Dunno...weakest heaviest F-bod around and i still caught him from my dead spot...i dont think they are a match for a stock well driven LT1.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
an AUTO 350z ran 13.6 in the 1/4 stock. so im giving them credit where credit is do. hough most are around 14-14.4 second cars. they generally are faster than mustang gts. and from a roll will easily beat a mustang gt.

I know what you are talking about and he had some **** on the car to do it too. Plenum spacer, popcharger, and some other stuff as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Teching In

What do you mean they dont have the torque are the gearing. I dont think you know what the hell you are talking about. How is it that the z traps higher than the lt1?

I'm getting tired of hearing about torque from when this is not what determines a race. If you make 400ft lb of torque at 2000 rpms, keep your foot at 2000 rpms through the quarter and see what you run.

Take a 2003 v6 mustang and run it against a stock s2000. Mustang makes over 100ft lbs more torque and see who would win. Which is faster:

ls1 with 600rwhp and 400ftlb or
ls1 with 400rwhp and 600ftlb
No I think your are the one blinded by loyalty to Z's. Ive driven the Z plenty of times and it has nice linear power but it I it doesn't have the aggressive gearing and torque beyond its whp to ALWAYS beat an LT1 and GT like you said it should. You said its a given, and I say its not b/c gearing and torque with near equivalent whp determine how a race will go. Of course if a skilled driver is behind the wheel in both cars it is going to be close. I never said it doesn't have torque and gearing, I said its just not all that aggressive. You read things in an all or nothing fashion man.

And don't use silly obvious examples to try and prove a point that no one would argue. That doesn't help.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
I posted a race a little while ago. I know that an LT1 and a Z are close with the advantage to the Z when they are stock. My boss had a 96 or 97 Z28 that had a full exhaust, intake, and reflash of some sort. Now I'm stock with a jim wolf intake.....rolling on 19's that doesn't help me one bit. But we went from 40 mph to 125 and he was only able to put maybe a car on me. I had to brake when he cut me off cause we caught up to traffic to quickly that's how close I was. From a stop I think it would have been worst but from a roll if he was stock I think I would of had him. He was real suprised with my car. A lot of people say that they don't feel a pull in the car but it hangs with a lot of "quick to fast" cars. I really do think it's because the VQ is really smooth that you don't notice it. The 300ZX was the same way.

25PSI-

How's that new setup treating you on the car? Have you run that black camaro since you guys were so close last time?
Hey whats up! Well the longblock is almost done, probably another week or so. But the new turbo kit is going to take another 3-4 weeks to build since they are built to order. Hopefully I will have everything complete by the first or second week in September.

I didnt have a chance to run him since our last meeting. I called him the other day but I think he has been pretty busy. Hopefully I will have a chance to run him in the mr2 for some friendly runs.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue04
No I think your are the one blinded by loyalty to Z's. Ive driven the Z plenty of times and it has nice linear power but it I it doesn't have the aggressive gearing and torque beyond its whp to ALWAYS beat an LT1 and GT like you said it should. You said its a given, and I say its not b/c gearing and torque with near equivalent whp determine how a race will go. Of course if a skilled driver is behind the wheel in both cars it is going to be close. I never said it doesn't have torque and gearing, I said its just not all that aggressive. You read things in an all or nothing fashion man.

And don't use silly obvious examples to try and prove a point that no one would argue. That doesn't help.

First of all the Z has better areodynamics, better gearing, more hp, atleast 3-400 lbs lighter and thats what determines a race.