Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a Supra TT on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yea thats what I have heard on various boards, that the NA engine can take boost but not as well as the 2JZ's. Id still love to find an NA supra with a blown engine (basically a shell), drop a 2JZ into it, and cruise the streets with a huge single turbo on race gas on the weekends looking for kills.
Not to be a pain in the *** for details... but the NA is still a 2JZ, it's just GE vs GTE (you can imagine which one is T...urbo). Even shells still fetch a good buck from what I've seen.

-J
Old 08-16-2006 | 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 25psi
I think it would cost more to build a 800+hp cobra than a supra.

Supra:

Greddy t88 kit -4500
fuel system -2000
standalone-2000
clutch- 2500
guages-1000
suspension-1000

Total 13,000 for a 800+hp supra
KB 2.8 + pulley + tune + fuel system + exhaust = half of that. It'd put you at well over 600 RWHP
Old 08-16-2006 | 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEARSM
But if you think a straight axle car can outhandle a IRS car on a road course you are sadly mistaken.
that's ignorant to say the least. The only benefit IRS has is if the road is bumpy or shaky i.e. real world performance improvement over a solid rear. On a smooth, maintained race track there is no benefit. I'd bet a well driven third gen turbo trans-am with some decent brakes, and fresh stock suspension components could whoop a stock supras *** in a road course on any well paved, decently maintained track.
Old 08-16-2006 | 03:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quick1998Z28
KB 2.8 + pulley + tune + fuel system + exhaust = half of that. It'd put you at well over 600 RWHP
He is right. Prolly easy 650rwhp
Old 08-16-2006 | 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

that's ignorant to say the least. The only benefit IRS has is if the road is bumpy or shaky i.e. real world performance improvement over a solid rear. On a smooth, maintained race track there is no benefit. I'd bet a well driven third gen turbo trans-am with some decent brakes, and fresh stock suspension components could whoop a stock supras *** in a road course on any well paved, decently maintained track.
Uhh, kind of doubt that. Supras handle pretty well for pigs. I agree solid rear cars can be made to handle well, but the things you said are not exactly the way it goes... Most of the time an IRS car is betting handling.
Old 08-16-2006 | 01:34 PM
Teching In

Independent suspension typically offers better ride quality and handling characteristics than a live axle suspension, due to lower 'unsprung weight' and the ability of each wheel to address the road undisturbed by activities of the other wheel on the vehicle. This doesnt inlcude just BUMPS in the road but also tight turns.

The principal disadvantage of a live axle design is the negative effect on ride quality and handling. The wheels cannot move independently in response to bumps. Also, the mass of the differential and driveshafts are part of the vehicle's unsprung weight, so the greater unsprung mass transmits larger forces to the body of the vehicle and its occupants. Furthermore, the rigid connection between the wheels leads to greater camber change in tight turns, which reduces cornering grip.

Do you road race at all? Grip is everything and it especially affects your speeds coming out of a turn. Lower exiting speeds mean slower track times on any course that has more than 2 turns.

Last edited by FEARSM; 08-16-2006 at 08:12 PM.