Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LS1 Vs. LT1 (yeah, another one of those)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Vs. LT1 (yeah, another one of those)

I was at New York International Raceway Park last Friday night and got about 8 runs in. It was about my fourth run when I lined up against a LT1 Z28. Not sure what year or even what transmission since I never actually talked to the driver. But I know for a fact that LT1's can be very fast so I took nothing for granted.

/sarcasm on

I know alot of guys here who claim to be as fast as LS1's with minimal mods so I gave myself little chance for a victory. Hell one guy that used to come here even destroyed several modded LS1's with his "stone stock" LT1. So basically, I prepared to lose and lose bad.

I did a good 8 second burnout on my Nittos to get them hot. He had staged first and was waiting on me. I made my way to the line and anticipated the upcoming defeat. I brake stalled up to 2000 rpm's and with my heart pounding fiercely, I watched the yellow lights count down the tree. At the last yellow light I broke loose and cut a decent R/T. I held back a little as traction was not at its best but still managed a 1.8 60'. By the 330 mark I couldn't see the LT1 anymore. Did he blow me away so bad that he's all ready at the other end? Maybe. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I was having a heart attack as I passed the 1/8 mile. By the end of the 1/4 mile I slowly began to breath again.

I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the LT1 was behind me. Wow, I actually won! I drove around and collected my slip.

I had a 12.6 @ 108 while the LT1 ran 14.4 @ 97. Now this simply can not be correct. I'm pretty sure he was stock but still. I thought all LT1's ran mid to high 13's at 102-105. At least that's what LT1 guys keep telling me

/sarcasm off

I did run this LT1 and we did run the times listed above. Even though I won by nearly 2 seconds, it was still a good race because the anticipation was high and he hung close the first half of the track. The rest of my runs were mostly ricers who ran 16 seconds or slower so not much to brag about there. I did have a close race with a Mustang GT that I barely won (My 12.9 to his 13.1 with me cutting a slightly better R/T). I also lost one to a LS1 Z28 that ran a 12.2 @ 118 (he clearly had traction issues).

Weather was good and all in all it was a fun night. I hope I didn't offend any of you decent LT1 owners. I do respect the motors and have love for any fellow F-body enthusiasts. BTW it was MoM's night (mustang on mustang) and they were doing grudge matches against F-bodies. I saw alot of single digit mustangs and camaros going at it. It was awesome to say the least.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice run. I get the same way with anything i race thinking im gonna lose helps make the win that much better or the loss not that bad. Most LT1s run around 14.0 some higher some lower stock ones that is. I still love mine tho
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I was at New York International Raceway Park last Friday night and got about 8 runs in. It was about my fourth run when I lined up against a LT1 Z28. Not sure what year or even what transmission since I never actually talked to the driver. But I know for a fact that LT1's can be very fast so I took nothing for granted.

/sarcasm on

I know alot of guys here who claim to be as fast as LS1's with minimal mods so I gave myself little chance for a victory. Hell one guy that used to come here even destroyed several modded LS1's with his "stone stock" LT1. So basically, I prepared to lose and lose bad.

I did a good 8 second burnout on my Nittos to get them hot. He had staged first and was waiting on me. I made my way to the line and anticipated the upcoming defeat. I brake stalled up to 2000 rpm's and with my heart pounding fiercely, I watched the yellow lights count down the tree. At the last yellow light I broke loose and cut a decent R/T. I held back a little as traction was not at its best but still managed a 1.8 60'. By the 330 mark I couldn't see the LT1 anymore. Did he blow me away so bad that he's all ready at the other end? Maybe. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I was having a heart attack as I passed the 1/8 mile. By the end of the 1/4 mile I slowly began to breath again.

I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the LT1 was behind me. Wow, I actually won! I drove around and collected my slip.

I had a 12.6 @ 108 while the LT1 ran 14.4 @ 97. Now this simply can not be correct. I'm pretty sure he was stock but still. I thought all LT1's ran mid to high 13's at 102-105. At least that's what LT1 guys keep telling me

/sarcasm off

I did run this LT1 and we did run the times listed above. Even though I won by nearly 2 seconds, it was still a good race because the anticipation was high and he hung close the first half of the track. The rest of my runs were mostly ricers who ran 16 seconds or slower so not much to brag about there. I did have a close race with a Mustang GT that I barely won (My 12.9 to his 13.1 with me cutting a slightly better R/T). I also lost one to a LS1 Z28 that ran a 12.2 @ 118 (he clearly had traction issues).

Weather was good and all in all it was a fun night. I hope I didn't offend any of you decent LT1 owners. I do respect the motors and have love for any fellow F-body enthusiasts. BTW it was MoM's night (mustang on mustang) and they were doing grudge matches against F-bodies. I saw alot of single digit mustangs and camaros going at it. It was awesome to say the least.
Do you happen to be the guy in the white formula with blue stripes? If so I was the kid in the red SS that lined up agains you once. Pretty quick car if it was you and traction sure was horrible to say the least
Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Do you happen to be the guy in the white formula with blue stripes? If so I was the kid in the red SS that lined up agains you once. Pretty quick car if it was you and traction sure was horrible to say the least
Yes, that was me. I know what you mean on traction. I was 1.8-2.0 all night long. I thought it was my bald Nittos but maybe not if you had traction issues too.

I'm not that quick yet but I will be next year. I don't know if you know Mike @ New Era Performance but he's the only sponsor in the Rochester area. He's got my ETP heads, cam, ls6 intake, underdrive pulley & TNT wetkit all waiting for install. I'm gonna have him do the work over the winter.

After all that I'll likely need something better then Nittos if I want anything that even resembles traction
Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Yes, that was me. I know what you mean on traction. I was 1.8-2.0 all night long. I thought it was my bald Nittos but maybe not if you had traction issues too.

I'm not that quick yet but I will be next year. I don't know if you know Mike @ New Era Performance but he's the only sponsor in the Rochester area. He's got my ETP heads, cam, ls6 intake, underdrive pulley & TNT wetkit all waiting for install. I'm gonna have him do the work over the winter.

After all that I'll likely need something better then Nittos if I want anything that even resembles traction
Yes I've been there and know him hes a great guy and does good work. Car sounds like its going to be sick wish I had the money for more mods right now And yeah traction was horrible I was there all stock running 13.4@104 with 2.0 60' and now after full exaust, ls6 intake, and lid I was running 13.4@107-108 with 2.1-2.2 60'
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Enh, it happens... my bone stock Auto 3:23 car ran 14.1 @ 97mph with a 2.1 60ft... I know a few guys with SS cars that went mid 13s and a couple guys with M6 LT1 cars that ran high 13s @ 100~101mph.

Now Ive seen them run 15s and Ive seen LS1 cars run 15s...so its always possible for an LS1 to lose. Of course when you have a heavily modded car such as yourself racing a stock LT1 shouldn't be a challenge (or a stock ls1 for that matter) unless your name is corky and you can't take a **** without help.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Well when you race an older car it can be a **** box, stock or a beast. So ya never know. I've seen some busted up abused lt1's run 14.8's but I saw one with tires a CAI and exhaust run 13.6. So who knows? Auto stock lt1 with 2:73's got me a best of 14.0 @ 99mph.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Gotta respect everyone. You never know when that mullet sporting redneck in the rusty Nova is gonna drop the hammer on you...it can happen. LOL. I feel worse for the TPI guys...LOL when the LS1s came out they must have just cried. Finally catch the LT1s just to be trumped by the next big thing. Thats how it goes though. LOL
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

I went to the track again this past Friday. Same traction problems so I think my Nittos are finished. I only raced one remotely quick car and it was a Subaru WRX Sport Wagon. When I first saw it I thought it looked kind of strange (a wagon with a ram air hood). But it was very clean and I liked the color black on it. When it was our turn to pull out towards the burnout box I got a look at his back end. He actually had "you just got beat by a wagon" printed on his bumper

Now I have to admit that I was a little nervous since any car can be made fast and it was a WRX. Both my sons were watching from the stands so losing to a wagon would definately put me in a position where I'll be teased all weekend. We lined up and when the tree went down I spun my way to a 2.0 60' (very crappy for me). He jumped out to an early lead and I was trailing by a car length at the 1/8 mile. But I passed him in the second half of the track and won by a few cars. I don't have the slip in front of me but it was something like 12.9 @ 109 (me) and 13.3 @ 104 (wagon).

I was relieved to say the least. Not because I couldn't handle losing to a wagon but because my 14 year old son would have seen it and never let me live it down.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

you should come down on wensdays, better track prep imo. Plus their is bracket racing if your into that. Mabey i'll see ya their.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

What's the point of talking about racing a stock LT1?? Of course it ran a 14 something it was stock. Go race a moded one and come back with a better story.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
What's the point of talking about racing a stock LT1?? Of course it ran a 14 something it was stock. Go race a moded one and come back with a better story.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
There was a string of LS1 vs LT1 in the last month. I won't mention any specific usernames in an attempt to avoid a flame war, but there were a few LT1 owners who were claiming things like many LT1's running 13.5-13.8 stock, trap 101-103 and of course they destroy LS1's with just CAI and a catback. That's why I used the /sarcasm on and /sarcasm off.

I know LT1's usually run low 14's stock. I know a few well driven M6's have dipped into the 13's stock. I know 97-99 traps are not at all unusual for A4's and I know that heavily modded LT1's can be down right scary. I normally wouldn't have even mentioned that kill if not for the recent string of threads and a few long debates that I myself took part in.

Racing a LT1 at NYIRP is not easy. Maybe it's the fact that LS1's can now be found for less then 10K but it seems 7 out of every 10 F-bodies I see on Friday night is a LS1, maybe 2 out of 10 are LT1's and at least 1 of 10 is a 92 or older. Not to mention the fact that F-bodies are heavily out numbered by Mustangs and imports. I go to the track 1-2 times a month and run 5-8 times a night. In all those runs I have only raced the one LT1 so far this season.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Its all in good fun. For me anyway. I love my LT1, but who wouldnt want an LS1 in their garage? The only people who get me are the ones who act like LT1s have no hope. Those people will probably get a suprise sooner or later. Technology has come so far. I mean think of it...5.0s used to be considered brutal street contenders with only a 225 or so factory rating. Many today are still taking out everything in their way. So to dismiss a motor that came out of the box with 275-300hp .. is just foolish. Nobody is really safe from anybody if you know what I mean.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Nobody is really safe from anybody if you know what I mean.
Yes I do. I saw a new Z06 run 11.4 @ 124 or something like that. We are talking bone stock down to the factory tires. Compare that to LS1 times and we see exactly where we stand in the food chain. And those things pass emissions!!!!!!

I think insanity on wheels is a good way to describe the LS7 Vettes

Plus I saw a ugly POS looking pickup truck run single digits. In the end it's all about how fast you can $afford$ to go
Old 08-14-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

haha.

talk about a chip on your shoulder, eh darren?

you must've gotten waxed by an lt1 a time or two, you seem to have a deep root hatred for them. keep making posts like this, they entertain me...i hope the "not mentioned lt1 owner" will chime in, too.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
haha.

talk about a chip on your shoulder, eh darren?
Definately not. Far too many cars out there faster then me for me to have any chips other then in my computer

you must've gotten waxed by an lt1 a time or two
Actually, no. First let me say that I only race at the track. That said, I am 4 and 0 lifetime vs LT1's so I am yet to lose to one. But by no means do I think that is anything worth bragging about. I know several LT1's on this board and Camaroz28.com that could hand me my ***. I just happened to run into 4 with minimal or no mods so it was just luck of the draw I guess.

you seem to have a deep root hatred for them.
I have absolutely no hate for LT1's what so ever. I used to drive a Hunter Green 1995 Z28 (company car). I loved that car and planned to buy a LT1 Trans Am. But by the time I was ready to buy I found a 1999 Formula that was well within my financial means. Again it was just luck of the draw that I became a LS1 owner instead of a LT1 owner. Please don't confuse disliking a few very specific owners with disliking the cars or motors themselves. With the right setups the LT1 is a bad *** sounding monster. Just look at Taners car

keep making posts like this, they entertain me.
I'm very happy to entertain you. We all can use a little of that from time to time

i hope the "not mentioned lt1 owner" will chime in, too.
He certainly can join in if he wishes. This is after all a public message board and all opinions are welcome here. I have always been a firm believer in the right to free speech. I may not always agree with what you say but I will fight for your right to say it.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Some LT1s are tired and arent fresh like other ones..
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Some LT1s are tired and arent fresh like other ones..
Aint that the truth, But then you have mine to make up for them even with 140k on the clock. LOL
Old 08-15-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Like he said....its all in how fast you can afford to go. LOL Looks like 13s for me for a while.