Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SR20 240sx vs 93 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR20 240sx vs 93 z28

I went and hung out with a few racers tonight, i had the only american car, there were 4 sr20det powered 240s, a mercedes, a vw passat, and some beemer. Well, im like the second or third fastest one, not really sure. One of the guys with an sr powered 240 is one of my best friends, we decided to race from a dead stop, and by the time i hit 65 i had about 3 car lengths (he was only running 7psi, and hes having an issue with his coolant temp sensor.) Im planning to race one of the other guys 240s, he runs a 13.9, he has 270 whp, but his turbo doesnt spool until like 5000 rpms, and its really laggy. I havent ran my car yet, but i have a high flo cat, a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, a shift kit, and running all royal purple fluids as of this week. Im sure ill get him throught an 1/8 because of how laggy his turbo is, and because i have soft compound tires that hook up great. Do you think i can beat him through the 1/4, should be close.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Teching In

no boost till 5k. something is either really wrong with it or its huge!!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Launching!

No kidding. A car tuned like that has 0 chance against you. I dont think it wil be close.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Add some Royal Purple blinker fluid and you have it made.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Add some Royal Purple blinker fluid and you have it made.
thats hilarious
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by erickeown
I went and hung out with a few racers tonight, i had the only american car, there were 4 sr20det powered 240s, a mercedes, a vw passat, and some beemer. Well, im like the second or third fastest one, not really sure. One of the guys with an sr powered 240 is one of my best friends, we decided to race from a dead stop, and by the time i hit 65 i had about 3 car lengths (he was only running 7psi, and hes having an issue with his coolant temp sensor.) Im planning to race one of the other guys 240s, he runs a 13.9, he has 270 whp, but his turbo doesnt spool until like 5000 rpms, and its really laggy. I havent ran my car yet, but i have a high flo cat, a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, a shift kit, and running all royal purple fluids as of this week. Im sure ill get him throught an 1/8 because of how laggy his turbo is, and because i have soft compound tires that hook up great. Do you think i can beat him through the 1/4, should be close.
sounds to me like he has a blown turbo gasket or a turbo thats way to big for his setup. 270 on an sr is relatively easy power to make with a stock turbo. so for him to only hit boost at 5k is silly. he would be seeing boost at around 2500 assuming it was a stock turbo. and 13.9 is very very slow for that setup. they can run 13.5ish on stock t25 on 7-12lbs depending on supporting mods.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsmdoctor
no boost till 5k. something is either really wrong with it or its huge!!
That's what I was thinking too. My buddy has a 240 thats fully built and he's at 420rwhp on only 16psi. Only reason he running that low of boost is cuz his injectors are maxed out completely. Once he gets bigger injectors he'll be running 32lbs and should be around 550rwhp. It's pretty easy to get some good power outta those cars, and they weigh nothing. Something must be really wrong with that guys car, so hopefully it doesn't just blow up.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by datboibrad
sounds to me like he has a blown turbo gasket or a turbo thats way to big for his setup. 270 on an sr is relatively easy power to make with a stock turbo. so for him to only hit boost at 5k is silly. he would be seeing boost at around 2500 assuming it was a stock turbo. and 13.9 is very very slow for that setup. they can run 13.5ish on stock t25 on 7-12lbs depending on supporting mods.
he went with 2 big of a turbo for his setup, with his stock turbo, t28 he was running 14.1 without a tune, with the new turbo his car has been tuned, i think hes going to get a different turbo soon
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by erickeown
he went with 2 big of a turbo for his setup, with his stock turbo, t28 he was running 14.1 without a tune, with the new turbo his car has been tuned, i think hes going to get a different turbo soon
Yeah no doubt.. Sounds like a dyno queen turbo without the nice numbers. I've seen a few WRX with to big of a turbo. They make great peek numbers but next to zero usable power.

I also agree that it wont be much of a race. By the time he spools the race will be over.