Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My SS vs Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is why i like ls1tech there are more intellegent posters than other forums not one way people who think only there car is the best thank you. Myself i drive a decently modded balt but at the end of the day you are drivibng a vette or a camaro and im in the balt. Im fine with it as im a young kid myself and the f body just was not as year round friendly.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Well...my close friend here at work,...has been involved pretty hardcore in building a saturn ION,..similar to the eaton 2.0 SS. I can tell you this,...the car has had the blower pullied smaller then you could imagine,...then a TURBO CHARGER ADDED WITH THE BLOWER(at that time, there was no tuning software available at that time)....ran for a while.....removed the turbo....ported the blower nasty...did ALOT of little tricks they'd shoot me for mentioning....full exhust, severl times, several kinds, always custom made.....added nitrous.....then just removed the blower completely......and are now, all turbo power.

You'd never know it had any of the above mentioned mods...at anytime, except for now, as the sound of the car, mocks an SRT 4(kinda dieselish)...and the sound of a turbocharger, is unmistakable.

I can tell you this,..you doubters, or you haters in your mildly altered F-bodies, or possibly vettes.....would get your **** pushed in by this little ******.

Keep doubting...like you all did, including myself with the srt's(i've never been beaten by one but i've raced some REALLY fast ones...)...and you watch how bad you MIGHT just get beat.

Watch for up and coming video's of this little GM wonder. Soon,...we'll be going with a bigger turbo....and a bottom end. I keep telling them to hurry, as I would like to see something front wheel drive, something GM, come out and walk all the srt's in the area. Hopefully, soon.

So, yes, these front wheel drive freaks are rare to find now but,.....i'm sure that won't last forever. It seems like every srt 4 I run accross now, has more then 350 wheel horsepower, which is more then enough to beat a 400 wheel horsepower F-body.
That goes for some vettes as well.

power to weight.

NOTE. My buddy, also at work, just finished his LT1, with home ported heads(nice job), some moderate camshaft,...some other bot-ons, stock exhaust.....and he barely beat a NOT SOO stock ION the other day. He told me that today,.....and he seemed really dissapointed when he was saying it.

All i'm saying is, assumption is a mother ******.....not all cobalts, not all srt-s, not all ions are slow.
Yeah i completely agree, most ppl don't realize that the cobalt's are only out for 2 years where as the ls1 has been around for 8. In six years from now lets see what these little cars can do.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup.

Trust me...I'm a front engine, rear drive guy. Thats how "I" was raised. Around big blocks, and small blocks. That was it. My father got me somewhat into the import cars, from massarati, to bmw, to the rx7's. I started to learn the different ways of makeing power. But still, to me, they're was no substitute for cubic inches. Now , there is. They're always was but,...it's now more common..or more apparant, to me.

I've told everyone here on this site, in my old vette, I ran down a few badass srt-s...I was making about 410rwhp... they were making between 375 and 411 whp.....and ...let me tell you...I had to drive my heart out to pull on these little bastards.

The cobalt, will soon be where the srt's are. Like you said, they're still, new. I personally can't wait to see my buddies go out there in a GM product, in there saturn that is, and walk on these little mopars. I can't wait. They won't do it on the blower alone, in my opinion....but, go turbo, or the proper amount of spray...or however you wanna make your power....and it'll happen.

Agian, soon....we'll have some footage of this car( I think there is on the redline forums). Right now, they have a homemade, turbo kit on the car, and it's in it's preliminary stages. Once bugs are worked out, larger pipeing, and a much larger turbo are going on the car. I keep pushing them so, it'll happen soon.

Keep an open mind....
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I beat a four door fully loaded colbalt in a '96 Grand Am SE, now that's sad. You would think 10 years would make any new car beat my car. BTW it's a 4cyl too, though it has twin cam!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well you did not race the supercharged one because it is two door only.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
well you did not race the supercharged one because it is two door only.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default here some times for yall

that was at the Intense Racing sponsored Drag DAY a little while back. i dunno of the mods but those are all the S/C versions. and the ion which shares the same mods.

# Rob Archer (IN) – ’06 Cobalt SS – 13.118 @ 106.76
# Kevin Parker (MO) – ’06 Cobalt SS – 13.580 @ 103.50
# Daniel Testa (PA) – ’05 Ion Redline – 13.715 @ 102.69
# Patrick Lombard (MI) – ’05 Cobalt SS – 13.815 @ 103.06
# Dave Jedlicka (OH) – ’05 Cobalt SS – 13.974 @ 99.91

intense racing also themselves has a cobalt pushing over 300WHP and i belive is good for mid 12s. so they already have the ability to run with alot of ls1s.

then again intense also has a 9 sec 146 MPH Turbo Grand prix also

whatever the case the SS S/C cobalts have a 3.94 final gear. they trap very well for such a high stock gearing.

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 10-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
that was at the Intense Racing sponsored Drag DAY a little while back. i dunno of the mods but those are all the S/C versions. and the ion which shares the same mods.

# Rob Archer (IN) – ’06 Cobalt SS – 13.118 @ 106.76
# Kevin Parker (MO) – ’06 Cobalt SS – 13.580 @ 103.50
# Daniel Testa (PA) – ’05 Ion Redline – 13.715 @ 102.69
# Patrick Lombard (MI) – ’05 Cobalt SS – 13.815 @ 103.06
# Dave Jedlicka (OH) – ’05 Cobalt SS – 13.974 @ 99.91

intense racing also themselves has a cobalt pushing over 300WHP and i belive is good for mid 12s. so they already have the ability to run with alot of ls1s.

then again intense also has a 9 sec 146 MPH Turbo Grand prix also

whatever the case the SS S/C cobalts have a 3.94 final gear. they trap very well for such a high stock gearing.

That was back in April. We didn't even have tuning then,lol. Those times were just with a few mods, since our aftermarket was even smaller then. Also, our final drive ratio on the G85 equipped ones is 4:05.Alot of us are alot faster than that. There's quite a few that trap over 108mph, with just bolt-ons,tuning, and supportive mods. Nice job to the original poster.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
That was back in April. We didn't even have tuning then,lol. Those times were just with a few mods, since our aftermarket was even smaller then. Also, our final drive ratio on the G85 equipped ones is 4:05.Alot of us are alot faster than that. There's quite a few that trap over 108mph, with just bolt-ons,tuning, and supportive mods. Nice job to the original poster.
Thanks for the compliment. It sounds like you guys have some pretty sick cobalts.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Thanks for the compliment. It sounds like you guys have some pretty sick cobalts.
There's a few that are pretty quick. You can make anything fast nowadays. Nice F-body in your sig. I miss mine.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
There's a few that are pretty quick. You can make anything fast nowadays. Nice F-body in your sig. I miss mine.
I was trying to inform people on here they shouldnt underestimate Cobalts. But some people are stubborn. If you have enough money you can make anything fast.
Thanks for the comp on the car. I dont know what i would do without my F-body
Old 10-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
But some people are stubborn. If you have enough money you can make anything fast.
Everytime I read a V8 Vs. 4 Banger post, someone types that.

So what if you can make anything fast? %99 of us drive what we drive because of one thing and one thing only.... $$cash$$.

Some spend alot of money, others don't. Some take it very seriously, others don't.
All in all, the Cobalt S/c SS is a great, quick little car, and like the SRT4 can be boosted up to kick some ***.
They are still front drive, primarily designed commuter cars and 9 times out of ten they will lose to a V-8.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

"They are still front drive, primarily designed commuter cars and 9 times out of ten they will lose to a V-8." (Burnzilla)

I agree....Im not saying i like the cobalt SS because i dont. I was upset when they slapped set of "SS" badges on a front wheel drive four banger. But i just dont disrespect them. As soon as you do thats when you run one and get your *** whooped.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

What does respect have to do with losing?
Its the driver not the car.

I should respect some "car" because I lost to a guy who spent 20K on a car, put 5k into it, and beat my 6K car?

Cmon now.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by burnzilla
What does respect have to do with losing?
Its the driver not the car.

I should respect some "car" because I lost to a guy who spent 20K on a car, put 5k into it, and beat my 6K car?

Cmon now.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

You should be bangin your head...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Everytime I read a V8 Vs. 4 Banger post, someone types that.

So what if you can make anything fast? %99 of us drive what we drive because of one thing and one thing only.... $$cash$$.

Some spend alot of money, others don't. Some take it very seriously, others don't.
All in all, the Cobalt S/c SS is a great, quick little car, and like the SRT4 can be boosted up to kick some ***.
They are still front drive, primarily designed commuter cars and 9 times out of ten they will lose to a V-8.

classify v8. mustangs have them to lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but when the day is over. it will come down to traction. after a while HP numbers are nothing and it become who can get traction off the line first. and argue all you want a RWD car will catch grip before a FWD and hold it if both cars are equally driven. and whoever grips first in equal HP to weight cars will win.

i posted the gear ratio form the chevy website itself. i havent seen anyhting on stock final gears in the 4s but anyhow.

i think the cobalt ss s/c look pretty good.

though the solstice GXP will be a Huge contender. turbo stock which will ofcourse mean easily upgradeable to higher boost and turbos ect. and their rwd. so they will be able to put the power down. i look for them to take over for GM as the small rocket cars
Old 10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
but when the day is over. it will come down to traction. after a while HP numbers are nothing and it become who can get traction off the line first. and argue all you want a RWD car will catch grip before a FWD and hold it if both cars are equally driven. and whoever grips first in equal HP to weight cars will win.

i posted the gear ratio form the chevy website itself. i havent seen anyhting on stock final gears in the 4s but anyhow.

i think the cobalt ss s/c look pretty good.

though the solstice GXP will be a Huge contender. turbo stock which will ofcourse mean easily upgradeable to higher boost and turbos ect. and their rwd. so they will be able to put the power down. i look for them to take over for GM as the small rocket cars
Yeah the solstice gxp and the saturn sky redline are gonna be two bad little cars. They'll be easy to turn into 12 second car's once their aftermarket grows.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nassty00
and ya im pretty sure that all cobalt ss are supercharged you probably have seen some clones out there lol i seen one yesterday it was a 4 door ss.
No thats wrong. The 05 cobalts only has the SS option as a supercharged model, but in 06 they have a plain N/A SS and then there is the Supercharged SS. The regular SS the same car with no blower. I drove both and both are slow.