Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 Supercharged Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 Supercharged Mustang

i'd just like to say, first off, that i'm very embarrassed to even be posting this. there isn't a race, and i hate the thought of even posting this in this forum because of that, but unfortunately i don't know where else to post it

okay, so i was hanging with my cousin tonight. he has a 2002 mustang GT. he's always saying he can beat my car. yea yea yea...

well, today he dropped a bomb on me that i may be completely ignorant of. he says his car is supercharged. did ford make a supercharged 2002 mustang? he says it's a 2002 roush mustang stage 2. it weirded me out because i was unaware of a supercharged 2002 mustang, plus i've looked under his hood and i've never seen a blower, although i didn't look for it as i was ignorant of this.

my question is, is there a such thing as a 2002 roush mustang stage 2? if there is, how much power do they put out? what kind of quarter mile times do they run? and most of all, can i beat it? i ran a 13.6@105 mph and since then i've added a FTRA system and a cutout over my corsa catback.

does anyone have any info on these cars? also, how can i tell this is actually the car he says it is? he doesn't know much about cars. thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can hear superchargers when the car is running if you can't see it :p
Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

hey did it lok like this? stage 2
Old 10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by JpxZ28
hey did it lok like this? stage 2
yea, that's his car but without those rims. he has the plastic-looking 5-spoke star-shaped mustang rims.

i tried listening for a supercharger but couldn't really hear one. his exhaust drowns it out (flowmaster catback). i did hear some type of noise but it sounds just like the AIR systems sound on our car when you start thertm up at cold start. if it has a supercharger, it ain't very loud.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

well thats the stuff it comes with but u can get a supercharger for it i saw a few while i was searching for the specs so he could have gotten one in it, but if he just got the the stage 2 he probably doesnt have one. and it doesnt look like a lot in preformance mods just exhaust and air intake. id ask him to rev it with hood up. since you can't find it under the hood.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Resident

yea i don't think he knows what he's talking about

i just wanna know if this thing can beat a stock LS1, even if it is supercharged. it seems that the stage 3's are the supercharged ones, but they only pack 360 hp. if they are heavy pigs, i may be able to take him, although i do have 2.73's so that won't help me
Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont know if this will help but when my car was mostly stock, lid, maf, 80mm tb (no tune), and some suspension stuff, my boy had a mostly stock gt with a roots style blower, dont remember what kind, but seemed that whoever hit it first would keep that much distance between us till we shut it down. All roll races and his junk was not tuned, he messed his motor up. ooppps... I've got an m6
Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

99-04 roush packages....

STG 1 - Base V6 or GT with body kit
STG 2 - GT with body kit and suspension mods
STG 3 - stg 2 with Roots Blower

If he has a stg 2.....you shouldnt' have much to worry about. I would say unless he is a better driver, but since he thinks a stg 2 is charged....there is no way he is. Honestly, I am surprised you have to ask this question...an FI car is pretty obvious, for the most part. Your cousin needs to do some 'learning' before buying a car, much less running his mouth.

Unless of course, you are incorrect on the stage..adn he has a stge 3. Roots style blower, probably says 360R on the side stripes too.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

I have heard the Vortec SQ's are pretty dang quiet. If you "cant find it" under his hood, it aint there man. It would either be attatched to or replace his intake. I am sure you would see it. If you cant see it, it must be a recent (after you looked) mod, or you need to seek help. I think hes fulla poo.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I have heard the Vortec SQ's are pretty dang quiet. If you "cant find it" under his hood, it aint there man. It would either be attatched to or replace his intake. I am sure you would see it. If you cant see it, it must be a recent (after you looked) mod, or you need to seek help. I think hes fulla poo.

True....he could have a stg two and installed a vortech SQ after you looked at it.....tell him to pop the hood again. If he has a vortech...YOU'LL know.

FWIW - Stg's Two's did not come with a charger from the dealerships. only stg 3s did....and they weren't centrif charger's.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Stanger88
lemme explain. when he bought the car a few months ago, i looked under his hood just to check out his engine bay. i never looked for a supercharger because i didn't care to look for one. if it was blown i never woulda known (hey, it rhymed). i didn't hear anything under his hood whining for sure, but i never actually listened. i even revved the damn thing up with the TB cable and i didn't hear any whine. i think he doesn't know what he's talking about it's just he swears this thing is so fast. mine would be a full second+ faster in the 1/4 mile and i think mine is slow

Originally Posted by ponygt65
True....he could have a stg two and installed a vortech SQ after you looked at it.....tell him to pop the hood again. If he has a vortech...YOU'LL know.

FWIW - Stg's Two's did not come with a charger from the dealerships. only stg 3s did....and they weren't centrif charger's.
no way, he's still paying the thing off. he hasn't dropped a dime into it. he'd never mod the thing anyway, he's the kind of guy that would just buy a stock car and drive it...MAYBE he'd change the muffler, but it already has a flowmaster catback on it (which sounds really bad for some reason...soooo raspy ).

btw, i was under the impression these roush cars had stripes on them. this is a pewter car, solid color. aren't the roush stage 3 cars only red and blue with white stripes? i'm just SO confused that he says it's blown yet i've never heard it. i don't know what to think. i just don't know how ANYONE could call a mid 14 second car soooo fast??? especially when mine is mid-low 13's and i think it's not fast at all...quick, but definitely not fast.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
lemme explain. when he bought the car a few months ago, i looked under his hood just to check out his engine bay. i never looked for a supercharger because i didn't care to look for one. if it was blown i never woulda known (hey, it rhymed). i didn't hear anything under his hood whining for sure, but i never actually listened. i even revved the damn thing up with the TB cable and i didn't hear any whine. i think he doesn't know what he's talking about it's just he swears this thing is so fast. mine would be a full second+ faster in the 1/4 mile and i think mine is slow .
You appreantly have never seen a charger before. You wouldn't need to be looking for one to see it. Nor would you need the hood popped all the way open. They are unmistakeable. If he had one, you'd see it. Then again, I am starting to doubt your level of common sense on charged Mustangs, To Be Honest.

no way, he's still paying the thing off. he hasn't dropped a dime into it. he'd never mod the thing anyway, he's the kind of guy that would just buy a stock car and drive it...MAYBE he'd change the muffler, but it already has a flowmaster catback on it (which sounds really bad for some reason...soooo raspy ).

btw, i was under the impression these roush cars had stripes on them. this is a pewter car, solid color. aren't the roush stage 3 cars only red and blue with white stripes? i'm just SO confused that he says it's blown yet i've never heard it. i don't know what to think. i just don't know how ANYONE could call a mid 14 second car soooo fast??? especially when mine is mid-low 13's and i think it's not fast at all...quick, but definitely not fast.
#1) no. Roushs were not limited to only those colors and combo's.
#2) Stg 3 would have a 360R stripe on teh side (more than likely)
#3) I am not sure were you get mid 14s from. I have seen low 14s from new edge GTs..then again..your car should be low 13s. Given your cousin's thought process....he would probably be mid to high 14s...

Lastly.....I mean this in a constructive way......you are confused, because you haven't tought yourself about other cars. Try 'research'..it helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions....I will gladly 'fill you in' on stangs, as much as I can.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

didnt they make a six cylinder thats supercharged
Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Tech Resident

#1) no. Roushs were not limited to only those colors and combo's.
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/02.shtml
Roush introduced their supercharged 360-hp 360R which was available in red with white stripes and white with blue stripes.
you sure man? i mean, the website could be wrong, but i was under a different impression

#2) Stg 3 would have a 360R stripe on teh side (more than likely)
he doesn't have a stripe for sure. his car is a single color.

#3) I am not sure were you get mid 14s from. I have seen low 14s from new edge GTs..then again..your car should be low 13s. Given your cousin's thought process....he would probably be mid to high 14s...
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/02.shtml
2002 Ford Mustang GT
0-60 mph: 6.0 sec
0-100 mph: --- sec
Quarter Mile: 14.7 sec @ 98 mph
Top Speed: 139 mph
Fuel Economy (city/highway): 18/26
Lastly.....I mean this in a constructive way......you are confused, because you haven't tought yourself about other cars. Try 'research'..it helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions....I will gladly 'fill you in' on stangs, as much as I can.
my car's really the only car i care to have information about seriously, the only information i care about on other cars is their quarter mile times. as for engine bay setup, the different models...i don't care. the f-body is seriously the only car out there i really like. the others...meh, you can have them. i wouldn't trade my car in for anything, i'm in love with 3500 lbs of metal.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
didnt they make a six cylinder thats supercharged
Nope. That was Saleen. He made a 'planned test vehicle'. Once they did the numbers and realized the amount they would have to charge for them, the canned the idea.....since they already had the V8 saleen. They did make that one though..not sure if it is still around.

Roush might have done something to compete...but niether made it into 'actual' production.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

you sure man? i mean, the website could be wrong, but i was under a different impression

he doesn't have a stripe for sure. his car is a single color.
I have personally seen a grey 360R..then again, I dont' recall the year. So I may be over stepping when talking about the 02 model.

I wouldn't count on that 14.7 time. Gt's have run low 14s.

I wouldn't worry about the charger.....he doesn't have one..you'd know.

my car's really the only car i care to have information about seriously, the only information i care about on other cars is their quarter mile times. as for engine bay setup, the different models...i don't care. the f-body is seriously the only car out there i really like. the others...meh, you can have them. i wouldn't trade my car in for anything, i'm in love with 3500 lbs of metal.
That's cool. IMO, people should know about cars, before running against them. But that's me.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

A little off topic....but I like how in the spec sheet, you get a 'custom trunk tool box.' Is that for all the times the shitty ford breaks down?!?
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily.

Found
On
Road
Disabled

Old 10-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

no stage 2 are s/c only stage 3
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

lemme explain. when he bought the car a few months ago, i looked under his hood just to check out his engine bay. i never looked for a supercharger because i didn't care to look for one. if it was blown i never woulda known (hey, it rhymed). i didn't hear anything under his hood whining for sure, but i never actually listened. i even revved the damn thing up with the TB cable and i didn't hear any whine. i think he doesn't know what he's talking about it's just he swears this thing is so fast. mine would be a full second+ faster in the 1/4 mile and i think mine is slow

How is your car a mid to low 13 sec car?? when you ran only a 13.6??? there is no low there!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Teching In

A Roush Stage 2 Mustang doesn't come with a blower, period. A 2002 Roush Stage 3 is very recognizable on several levels, one being the side exhaust. If it was a Stage 3, no matter how uninformed or disinterested you are about other cars, you'd have to be blind not to see the blower, it sits right on top of the motor! See pictures.

Roush Stage 3 Mustang

Roush Stage 3 engine bay with roots blower