Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually the elsie holds up quite well in wrecks. i mean given hit by a big enough vehicle fast enough it would destroy it but from the ones I have seen that get hit by average sized vehicles, they are remarkable tough to be so small.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Elise is a great handling car, not really meant for drags. If you had to take a turn, believe me it would DEVASTATE you. It's amazing how well the thing handles! Curves that you can only take @ 50-60mph in an F-body can be taken @ 80-90mph in a Lotus, it's that stupid!

It actually makes people who drive them think they're superheroes (kinda like the EVO), but unlike the EVO the rear will kick out easily if you don't pay attention and you'll get to see how well they hold up in crashes! (Which is suprisingly good).

Great car, a pain in the *** for a 6'3" guy like me to get in and out of, but it doesn't matter... EVERYONE stares and EVERYONE loves it! Nice Kill!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good KILL Marlon! So when we gonna RUN EM
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Good KILL Marlon! So when we gonna RUN EM
We can run when i drive my car back. If you still have yours. But whatever your driven we can run.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BOBA_VETT
The Elise is a great handling car, not really meant for drags. If you had to take a turn, believe me it would DEVASTATE you. It's amazing how well the thing handles! Curves that you can only take @ 50-60mph in an F-body can be taken @ 80-90mph in a Lotus, it's that stupid!

It actually makes people who drive them think they're superheroes (kinda like the EVO), but unlike the EVO the rear will kick out easily if you don't pay attention and you'll get to see how well they hold up in crashes! (Which is suprisingly good).

Great car, a pain in the *** for a 6'3" guy like me to get in and out of, but it doesn't matter... EVERYONE stares and EVERYONE loves it! Nice Kill!

Looks like your standing next to a hot wheel
Old 11-03-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

Good friend of mine has one ive drove it and rode in it a whole bunch of times...not to fast at all...its realy insanly fun around cornors and the handleing is amazing...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That may be, but I could not stand to have a Toyota motor in it if i were to own one. I would rather slip a full built Mountune (or whomever) Cossie rallycross unit in there (upwards of 800 whp, at peak ). 300, has anyone done this yet over in jolly ol' England??
Not sure too be honest. I heard rumours of a V8 being shoe horned into one, but that's about it.

But in all reality for British roads there's no need. Our roads are generally much tighter and twistier than what you guys experience in the States. Even the original stock 118bhp Elise could easily pace a Ferrari F355 cross country.

And a modern Exige with sticky tyres has the potential to leave a C6 Vette standing on like 80% of the roads over here.

the supercharged 240R Elise, although not very powerful again has enough grunt to easily keep pace even with a c6 z06 on our roads.

But I'm sure that somewhere someone has done something interesting.

Most of the zany cars are in the form of this:

Caterham likes, this ones a Dax Rush. It's lighter than an Elise and can be had with 4wd. Many people either run Rover V8's or 2.0 Cosworth turbo units. The Turbo's generally pump out arounf 400bhp in a car weighing only 1500lb or so.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Not sure too be honest. I heard rumours of a V8 being shoe horned into one, but that's about it.

But in all reality for British roads there's no need. Our roads are generally much tighter and twistier than what you guys experience in the States. Even the original stock 118bhp Elise could easily pace a Ferrari F355 cross country.

And a modern Exige with sticky tyres has the potential to leave a C6 Vette standing on like 80% of the roads over here.

the supercharged 240R Elise, although not very powerful again has enough grunt to easily keep pace even with a c6 z06 on our roads.

But I'm sure that somewhere someone has done something interesting.

Most of the zany cars are in the form of this:

Caterham likes, this ones a Dax Rush. It's lighter than an Elise and can be had with 4wd. Many people either run Rover V8's or 2.0 Cosworth turbo units. The Turbo's generally pump out arounf 400bhp in a car weighing only 1500lb or so.
I read somewhere the same thing on the v8. I think it's confirmed. That thing is going to scream.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

A V8 in the elise would be CRAZY!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
A V8 in the elise would be CRAZY!

not really. the elise revolves around weight. why add the extra burden of a V8 when you can still get 400hp out of the tiny 4 banger and keep weight to a bare minimum and have enough power to do what it was built to do
Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Launching!

I know someone put a turbo Honda K20 in one that way pretty sick.

Personally I think the old Rover K series would have been overall better, but it would never have passed US regs.

I would like to see a Cossie Ford 2.3 in one. Its works so well in the Sevens, I think it would be perfect for the Elise. Maybe a bit heavy though, I dunno.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

The turbo K20 must of made the elise move pretty good cuz that setup is quick
Old 11-04-2006, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

i raced one of the new ones on the highway. Like 05, or 06, and to be honest it was like racing a V6 fbody. Or it seemed like it. I put many cars on him from like a 60 roll. But one thing I can say about them, is that they sound really nice for a celica engine, sounds real deep, and not ricey like an actual celica.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Elise is an awesome car I have detailed a couple and I love the way they look. I haven't beaten on one since it wasn't my car I babied that thing but just everyday driving that thing hugged the road unlike anything else I have ridden/driven. I was saving up for a vette but I may just keep the SS and get an Elise down the road.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sparetire
I would like to see a Cossie Ford 2.3 in one. Its works so well in the Sevens, I think it would be perfect for the Elise. Maybe a bit heavy though, I dunno.
Yeah, me too. The weight difference between an iron & alloy 4 banger block is NOT tremendous, and the Cossie blocks have been proven to handle sick amounts of boost/tuning.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
i raced one of the new ones on the highway. Like 05, or 06, and to be honest it was like racing a V6 fbody. Or it seemed like it. I put many cars on him from like a 60 roll. But one thing I can say about them, is that they sound really nice for a celica engine, sounds real deep, and not ricey like an actual celica.
Your right. I put like 4 cars between us from 60 to about 90 and was pulling hard.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

They can be quick off the line but they require a 6k RPM clutch dump to get 0-60 in the high 4s. The also don't have much top end (higher speeds) and the Exige has even less top end due to the increased drag caused by the added downforce.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMendoza
They can be quick off the line but they require a 6k RPM clutch dump to get 0-60 in the high 4s. The also don't have much top end (higher speeds) and the Exige has even less top end due to the increased drag caused by the added downforce.

yea but the elise can stand that high rpm dump, and ahs the right components to put up with it. and since the elise is built to do nothing but road course and such why does it need a high top speed?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
yea but the elise can stand that high rpm dump, and ahs the right components to put up with it. and since the elise is built to do nothing but road course and such why does it need a high top speed?

... which is why it can keep up with an F-body up 60-70 then it falls on its face in a straight line.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMendoza
... which is why it can keep up with an F-body up 60-70 then it falls on its face in a straight line.

straight lnies get pretty boring really quick if you ask me. id take an elise any day over an f-body