Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, this is great keep it going.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVO 9
man, this is great keep it going.

Your car is a big winged POS with a "sideways" fart pipe.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Evo and STi guys are so funny. You guys always talk about about ET and never about trap speed. This seems to be a subject that you guys do not talk about. You guys have good ETs because of your gearing and AWD. From what I have seen in the street racing crowd and from personal experience, the EVOs and STIs seem to come up short in the trap speed department (unless the boost is WAY up). In the crowd I hang with, EVO guys do run up top because most LS1, Mach1s, GTOs and Cobras walk them up top pretty good. In my opinion, the trap speed is the true measure of power. Not ET. Many things can be done to drop the ET. However, higher traps are not that easily attained. Now when you already have good trap speeds from the factory, add your bolt-ons and then make modification to decrease your ETs, than you a fast car in all aspects...Not just ET.

I too was tired of launching easily while watching these AWD cars take their 2 car lead and me running them down. Now, I simply added my 31-Spline Eaton posi, 31 Spline Moser Axels, Control Arms and a pair of Mickey T. ET Drag radials.... and BAM. The priceless moment is when I look on the face of the driver of thes AWD cars when I match their launch and begin pulling!!!!! It makes it all worth it!!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Teching In

its not just your opinion trap speed is a direct reflection of power. im not an EVO guy, im a car guy that owns an EVO as well as a mustang, i have also owned a 95 Z28 M6, 98 mustang GT, 90 eclipse GSX, my current 01 mustang GT, and i have had a couple civic beaters.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
I think Evo and STi guys are so funny. You guys always talk about about ET and never about trap speed. This seems to be a subject that you guys do not talk about. You guys have good ETs because of your gearing and AWD. From what I have seen in the street racing crowd and from personal experience, the EVOs and STIs seem to come up short in the trap speed department (unless the boost is WAY up). In the crowd I hang with, EVO guys do run up top because most LS1, Mach1s, GTOs and Cobras walk them up top pretty good. In my opinion, the trap speed is the true measure of power. Not ET. Many things can be done to drop the ET. However, higher traps are not that easily attained. Now when you already have good trap speeds from the factory, add your bolt-ons and then make modification to decrease your ETs, than you a fast car in all aspects...Not just ET.

I too was tired of launching easily while watching these AWD cars take their 2 car lead and me running them down. Now, I simply added my 31-Spline Eaton posi, 31 Spline Moser Axels, Control Arms and a pair of Mickey T. ET Drag radials.... and BAM. The priceless moment is when I look on the face of the driver of thes AWD cars when I match their launch and begin pulling!!!!! It makes it all worth it!!
Im trapping 118-120, is that any good On the stock turbo and flashed stock cpu too.

I think the reason alot of Evo owners dont trap all that high is they dont setup there car right. With just cams and a well tuned car trapping 114+ is fairly easy.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
Im trapping 118-120, is that any good On the stock turbo and flashed stock cpu too.

I think the reason alot of Evo owners dont trap all that high is they dont setup there car right. With just cams and a well tuned car trapping 114+ is fairly easy.

Exactly sir.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know boosted cars can be made fast. That is why I stated that the EVO & STI can be made fast with the boost turned up. As long as a motor has good internal parts, the boost can be turned up to make very good power and not blowing up. However, the original post concerned an 01 Cobra which is not the Supercharged version. Comparing a power adder car (with the boost turned up) with an N/A car is really not a fair comparison. However, for an N/A car, they still make good power even without a SC. American car makers such as Ford does not normally add a SC or turbo to the common V8 because of the amount of power that could be made. Sometime it does happen...hence the 03/04 Cobra (390Hp with only 8lbs of boost) & the Shelby Cobra (500Hp with a 5.4 Liter and SC). By the way, these are stock number. A simple pulley change or even a Kenne Bell puts these cars deep into the 11's. Oh, and by the way, on stock cam and internals! Maybe you should try these cars out instead of a basically stock N/A V8 car.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

I know boosted cars can be made fast. That is why I stated that the EVO & STI can be made fast with the boost turned up. As long as a motor has good internal parts, the boost can be turned up to make very good power and not blowing up. However, the original post concerned an 01 Cobra which is not the Supercharged version. Comparing a power adder car (with the boost turned up) with an N/A car is really not a fair comparison. However, for an N/A car, they still make good power even without a SC. American car makers such as Ford does not normally add a SC or turbo to the common V8 because of the amount of power that could be made. Sometime it does happen...hence the 03/04 Cobra (390Hp with only 8lbs of boost) & the Shelby Cobra (500Hp with a 5.4 Liter and SC). By the way, these are stock number. A simple pulley change or even a Kenne Bell puts these cars deep into the 11's. Oh, and by the way, on stock cam and internals! Maybe you should try these cars out instead of a basically stock N/A V8 car.
Your logic doesnt really make sense. A car is either stock or modded. If it comes stock N/A then thats how the manufacturer intended, if its boosted then thats how it was designed. You dont have to up the boost much if any to make good power with Evo's. The biggest advantage is just holding the boost you are running higher in the rpm's.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

I'm glad there's someone else who realizes this besides me.

Evos and STI's aren't fast stock. Period. Trapping at 101MPH doesn't impress me at all for the price or the hype surrounding them. They only put down 240WHP stock, which is pretty pathetic. Low 13's are only attainable because of short gearing and AWD. They get murdered by any car with a real motor from anything other than a dig.

Of course, then all the Evo owners come in and start the **** talking. About how their car did this, that or the other thing on "the stock turbo" or "with a bad tune" or "only with XX amount of boost". Its a joke, it really is, because the boost pressure dictates how fast the car goes. You can instantaneosly bump up your performance by bumpin up the boost.

NIevo claims he traps at 118MPH. Wow, are we supposed to be impressed?? When you mod your car and crank up the boost to ungodly levels, yea, its going to make more power. It also reduces driveability and compromises engine reliability. If they want to do that, its their call though, let them think their cars are indestructible because its a "4G63 yo"

Heres a perfect analogy:

Everyone knows that A4 LS1's have dead spots and that the 4L60E isn't best suited to LS1 duty in stock form. Guys often bring this issue up when talking about the autos. Obviously this issue can be addressed with a stall converter and a built transmission. Now, if everyone acted like Evo ricers, everytime someone brough this issue up, trolls would come in from all directions, completely ignoring the facts and claiming that the issues don't exist because they can be addressed with the said aftermarket modifications.

Same thing happens whenever Evos get mentioned around here. Some ricer always has the answer to every possible fault that the Evo has (and yes, there are a lot). It gets really old after a while, especially listening to it on LStech, which should be a rice free environment
Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

This is what happens when modded Evos mess with stock Cobras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjr-...elated&search=

Supercharged V8 > Turbo 4 Banger

American Muscle can play the boost game too.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

i have a Mustang GT that i ran a 100 shot on for a while, maybe will again. my stock evo trapped 106 so i dont know where your getting 101 from. and yes the original post did concern a NA v8 against a boost 4. big deal. my car had 2 more doors and half the cylinders, and i was running STOCK BOOST. i have also raced a gt500 and pullied cobras. there will be a vid up soon.

did you even look at the descripion of the vid you posted? 2.67 pulley, headers, x-pipe, catback, intake. dumbass.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by EVO 9
i have a Mustang GT that i ran a 100 shot on for a while, maybe will again. my stock evo trapped 106 so i dont know where your getting 101 from. and yes the original post did concern a NA v8 against a boost 4. big deal. my car had 2 more doors and half the cylinders, and i was running STOCK BOOST. i have also raced a gt500 and pullied cobras. there will be a vid up soon.

did you even look at the descripion of the vid you posted? 2.67 pulley, headers, x-pipe, catback, intake. dumbass.
The 101mph might apply to the EVO VIII, in which trapping 101mph would be nice. And just how "stock" were you when you trapped 106mph in your "stock" EVO IX?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAminal
I'm glad there's someone else who realizes this besides me.

Evos and STI's aren't fast stock. Period. Trapping at 101MPH doesn't impress me at all for the price or the hype surrounding them. They only put down 240WHP stock, which is pretty pathetic. Low 13's are only attainable because of short gearing and AWD. They get murdered by any car with a real motor from anything other than a dig.
The older VIII's would trap 100-103 on average depending on the year but the new IX's are trapping 104-106, dont know whats pathetic about that. They are also putting down around 260awhp. I agree they are helped by the AWD and very short gearing but hey, thats part of the car design.

Of course, then all the Evo owners come in and start the **** talking. About how their car did this, that or the other thing on "the stock turbo" or "with a bad tune" or "only with XX amount of boost". Its a joke, it really is, because the boost pressure dictates how fast the car goes. You can instantaneosly bump up your performance by bumpin up the boost.
No, you dont need to "just bump up boost". When I first got my car I ran a best of 12.3@108 with 21psi which isnt much more then stock (19.7). Then last year I added cams and a few other bolt-ons and at the same boost ran a 11.98@115 on my only try with a bad 60'. Yes upping the boost helps but isnt the only thing that dictates performance.

NIevo claims he traps at 118MPH. Wow, are we supposed to be impressed?? When you mod your car and crank up the boost to ungodly levels, yea, its going to make more power. It also reduces driveability and compromises engine reliability. If they want to do that, its their call though, let them think their cars are indestructible because its a "4G63 yo"
Never said you had to be impressed, I was simply posting a response to a comment made about lacking trap speed. You always mention ungodly boost levels but what is your basis? An ungodly boost level for a V8 is completely different then our cars. I trap 118-120 on the stock turbo at 26psi which is within the stock turbo's efficiency range and well within the motors safety level. I also daily drive this car and have taken several trip in it with no reliability issues, also average 26+mpg with the A/C pumping!

Heres a perfect analogy:

Everyone knows that A4 LS1's have dead spots and that the 4L60E isn't best suited to LS1 duty in stock form. Guys often bring this issue up when talking about the autos. Obviously this issue can be addressed with a stall converter and a built transmission. Now, if everyone acted like Evo ricers, everytime someone brough this issue up, trolls would come in from all directions, completely ignoring the facts and claiming that the issues don't exist because they can be addressed with the said aftermarket modifications.

Same thing happens whenever Evos get mentioned around here. Some ricer always has the answer to every possible fault that the Evo has (and yes, there are a lot). It gets really old after a while, especially listening to it on LStech, which should be a rice free environment
I dont remember anyone here saying the Evo is without faults. Most of the time the conversations are pretty informative and interesting until people like you come along and start bashing, how does that make you any better then a "ricer"? All you do is state your opinion without any real hard facts. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you constantly use negative comments and name bashing in your posts which gets old.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Am I the only one that doesn't make a huge deal about trap??.....Yes, it is important, but last time I checked, ET's are what get the win.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Well it depends on how you race. If its always at the track then E.T. is more important but if you do alot of roll racing on the street then your trap makes more of a difference.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it depends on how you race. If its always at the track then E.T. is more important but if you do alot of roll racing on the street then your trap makes more of a difference.

Believe me I understand that. I also know that you can't always go from a dig. But ot choose a roll race.....is choosing not to race. Real racing is from a dig.

And since we were talking abotu EVO's and STi's........I dont' think Rolll racing was the 'main topic'.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with you, I almost never race on the street. I was just saying why most people think trap is more important. It also gives you a better idea of your hp level.

Ok.......bash away!! Evo's suck....there so slow....Im such a ricer....
Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with you, I almost never race on the street. I was just saying why most people think trap is more important. It also gives you a better idea of your hp level.

Ok.......bash away!! Evo's suck....there so slow....Im such a ricer....

Not a ricer......cause you dont' think the Evo is God's Gift...and you dont' think Roll racing is the end all (even in an Evo).

But, I must ask........does your Evo have a Fart tip......cause if it does..you are going to make it hard for me to think you are not a ricer.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got beat by an Evo VIII from a roll last night. dammit.

yeah, an 01 Cobra can beat a stock LS1 on the street, depends on drivers...

yeah, Machs have a couple more hps to the wheels b/c of the IRS on the Snakes (305 Mach, 320 Cobra), but the Cobras definitely shine upstairs, not to be slept on

hate to see anybody get bashed just because they post up with cars other than the ones the forums are about. i post on all sorts of forums...but i'm just a car guy...besides, i'm too old to bash (as opposed to bustin chops) folks just b/c of their choice of rides...even if they are ricers