Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ricer Vs. 01 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedge
i got beat by an Evo VIII from a roll last night. dammit.

yeah, an 01 Cobra can beat a stock LS1 on the street, depends on drivers...

yeah, Machs have a couple more hps to the wheels b/c of the IRS on the Snakes (305 Mach, 320 Cobra), but the Cobras definitely shine upstairs, not to be slept on

hate to see anybody get bashed just because they post up with cars other than the ones the forums are about. i post on all sorts of forums...but i'm just a car guy...besides, i'm too old to bash (as opposed to bustin chops) folks just b/c of their choice of rides...even if they are ricers
Machs are quicker because of their powerband... they use (if I'm not mistaken) the cam-grind from the DOHC 5.4 Navigators, which gives more low-midrange power, and a different intake manifold as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Machs are quicker because of their powerband... they use (if I'm not mistaken) the cam-grind from the DOHC 5.4 Navigators, which gives more low-midrange power, and a different intake manifold as well.

Correct. Machs have navigator intake cams, different heads, intake, and solid rear with 3.55s. Cobra's have the IRS with 3.27 gears.

FYI - the 305 vs. 320 of the two cars were only ratings...the fact is, they both dyno very similar HP, numbers. THe machs have better TQ numbers, and a better low to mid range power band....ALSO, you would be surprised at just how close the upper power is between the two. The Cobra cams do not give that much better top end power.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 101mph might apply to the EVO VIII, in which trapping 101mph would be nice. And just how "stock" were you when you trapped 106mph in your "stock" EVO IX?
stock as in stock tires, stock air filter, stock exhaust, stock boost. bone stock.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
The older VIII's would trap 100-103 on average depending on the year but the new IX's are trapping 104-106, dont know whats pathetic about that. They are also putting down around 260awhp. I agree they are helped by the AWD and very short gearing but hey, thats part of the car design.
Which is what I said. And I've neve seen a stock Evo 9 trap at 106MPH. Just doesn't happen. Maybe on a perfect day with a downhill track and a tailwind, but its not common at all. More like 102MPH from what I've seen.

Never said you had to be impressed, I was simply posting a response to a comment made about lacking trap speed. You always mention ungodly boost levels but what is your basis? An ungodly boost level for a V8 is completely different then our cars. I trap 118-120 on the stock turbo at 26psi which is within the stock turbo's efficiency range and well within the motors safety level. I also daily drive this car and have taken several trip in it with no reliability issues, also average 26+mpg with the A/C pumping!
Well you're obviously trying to impress someone, you're bragging about your Evo on LS1Tech. Boost is boost, no matter what engine you're running it on. 26PSI will take its toll just as fast on a built 4 banger as it will on a built V8, or any engine for that matter. Thats a ton of aded stress and extra wear on the motor. Its not rocket science, pushing that much boost will eventually catch up to you, whether you like to think so or not.

As for reliability issues, just wait, its a Mitsubishi. Ask anyone with a 3000GT or DSM about Mitsu quality and reliability, and you'll wish you never even brought that up. I also call BS on averaging 26MPG with the A/C on, I mean exaggerating is one thing, but making **** up is something else. Evos average about 20MPH bone stock, driven normally. How do you figure your cammed and highly boosted car gets 26MPG with the A/C on?? Did you accidentally double that number?? You ricers and your stories, it truly amazes me.

I dont remember anyone here saying the Evo is without faults. Most of the time the conversations are pretty informative and interesting until people like you come along and start bashing, how does that make you any better then a "ricer"? All you do is state your opinion without any real hard facts. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you constantly use negative comments and name bashing in your posts which gets old.
How does what "make me better than a ricer"?? I'm not the one driving the fart can equipped 4 banger economy car with a huge wing, therefore I'm not the ricer. Funny how you think the term can be used to describe someone who doesn't like a certain kind of car. I hate rice, so calling me a ricer is just plain stupid and ignorant. I state my opinion, but I also back it up with facts.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Which is what I said. And I've neve seen a stock Evo 9 trap at 106MPH. Just doesn't happen. Maybe on a perfect day with a downhill track and a tailwind, but its not common at all. More like 102MPH from what I've seen.

Well you're obviously trying to impress someone, you're bragging about your Evo on LS1Tech. Boost is boost, no matter what engine you're running it on. 26PSI will take its toll just as fast on a built 4 banger as it will on a built V8, or any engine for that matter. Thats a ton of aded stress and extra wear on the motor. Its not rocket science, pushing that much boost will eventually catch up to you, whether you like to think so or not.

As for reliability issues, just wait, its a Mitsubishi. Ask anyone with a 3000GT or DSM about Mitsu quality and reliability, and you'll wish you never even brought that up. I also call BS on averaging 26MPG with the A/C on, I mean exaggerating is one thing, but making **** up is something else. Evos average about 20MPH bone stock, driven normally. How do you figure your cammed and highly boosted car gets 26MPG with the A/C on?? Did you accidentally double that number?? You ricers and your stories, it truly amazes me.

How does what "make me better than a ricer"?? I'm not the one driving the fart can equipped 4 banger economy car with a huge wing, therefore I'm not the ricer. Funny how you think the term can be used to describe someone who doesn't like a certain kind of car. I hate rice, so calling me a ricer is just plain stupid and ignorant. I state my opinion, but I also back it up with facts.
right
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Ive never seen a trap as low as 102 on a stock IX. I gave you the ranges they trap with 106 being the upper end but yes they do trap that high.

Anybody will tell you thats just ignorance.

I dont car if you call BS or not. As for making **** up thats your job. Evo's run pig rich from the factory, a simple flash will get you 25+mpg. I get 22-24 around town and around 30 on the hiway, oh, and about 8 when I race.

I have never seen you post one factual thing, period. I can post data backing up anything I have said.