Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Is my A4 really that bad in roll races??? What do i need to do??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my A4 really that bad in roll races??? What do i need to do??

Here's what i have run into this weekend, i ran a stock except for a cutout M6 WS6 from a roll about 55-60mph. We started almost dead even he got a slight jump and i hit it. We ran to about 90-100mph and i was BARELY pulling on him granted not that long of a run but i would have expected to pull more then that when i have a 3500 stall and my TA puts down 371rwhp and 384rwtq n/a.

Now tonight i run a stock down to the filter 02 A4 corvette, we went from the same speeds and i pulled away alittle better then i did on the WS6 but we kinda evened out when my car shifted then i started to pull away alittle again but had to shut down it seemed like to me the car fell outta the powerband or something when it shifted.

I figured i would fare better on both these races, i'm thinking i would need gears to counter this problem? I did have my cutout closed that might have made alittle difference too, but i wouldn't have thought that much if at all. I guess i just don't have the car setup correctly for the kinda runs i was doing.............

What do you guys think??? BTW it has 3.23 gearing in the back of it too.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Teching In

From my experience, I can say that a well driven A4 taken from a good shift point will put up a pretty good fight until you hit higher speeds especially with a higher stall. Thats where a nice M6 will start pulling away from you regardless. From a dig...its all A4 (stock for stock) A4s arent bad at all. Just learn where your car is the most powerful and take it from there.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You sure that WS6 didn't have a 50 or a 100 shot? With your mods and his claimed "stock" besides a cutout, you should have pulled on him.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shawnmce
From my experience, I can say that a well driven A4 taken from a good shift point will put up a pretty good fight until you hit higher speeds especially with a higher stall. Thats where a nice M6 will start pulling away from you regardless. From a dig...its all A4 (stock for stock) A4s arent bad at all. Just learn where your car is the most powerful and take it from there.
These were stock cars though and i'm barely pulling on them? The one was a stock A4 lol. Come on something doesn't add up does it? A good shift point in my TA is if i get a 1st gear downshift but that's not practical unless i'm at the track. Just doesn't seem right to me is all, i'm new to this auto stuff all my previous cars have been manuals.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J E T
You sure that WS6 didn't have a 50 or a 100 shot? With your mods and his claimed "stock" besides a cutout, you should have pulled on him.
Nope he was stock i know the dude and he won't run spray on his car anyways. That's exactly what i was thinking though, maybe we didn't go long enough but that shouldn't be much of a factor i wouldn't think.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something just don't add up... Your car should pull the WS6 pretty hard if he really has only the cut out M6 or not... Either that or your car isn't running on its full potential.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bene
Something just don't add up... Your car should pull the WS6 pretty hard if he really has only the cut out M6 or not... Either that or your car isn't running on its full potential.
I know it doesn't, there seems to be nothing wrong with the car either it runs the same as it did when i had it dynoed 2 months ago. Well even the 02 a4 vette i shoulda pulled him harder then i did also. Like i said the only thing i noticed when the car shifted it would stop pulling then start pulling again.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 89tang
.... Like i said the only thing i noticed when the car shifted it would stop pulling then start pulling again.
That's torque-management.... your timing plummets anywhere from 0deg into the area of retard then jumps back up high after the shift. It kills the engine's momentum. It's much more noticeable from the 2-3 shift VS. the 1-2 shift. Get your tuner to work on that. If you have HPT and wanna send me a file I can take some or all of that out for you and toss you a wicked A4 tune back...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
That's torque-management.... your timing plummets anywhere from 0deg into the area of retard then jumps back up high after the shift. It kills the engine's momentum. It's much more noticeable from the 2-3 shift VS. the 1-2 shift. Get your tuner to work on that. If you have HPT and wanna send me a file I can take some or all of that out for you and toss you a wicked A4 tune back...
hey frost, I will send you my file and you can give me a wicked turn, rofl. Damn convert slips bad, drives me crazy. I need to get the car tuned and I have the software, rofl. Damn converter is making me crazy. Local guys won't call me back. I won't say what shop, but it's got me pretty damn mad.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

I have a license for 99-00-01.... I'm not sure if I can edit your 98 file or not (possibly). PM me for my email address and if I can edit it, I'll send ya a good one back
Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Launching!

AHHHHHH frost i think you might have something. I remember scanning on my LS1m and the timing dropping down to 0* on every shift then climbing back up to normal. My tuner took my 99 pcm and put in 02 files so you probably can't edit mine either now. Which is why also i get a dumbass P0757 code now. Plus he needs to do some more tuning on my tranny i think, it shifts funky at part throttle vs. when it did with the 99 files in it that were modded. It also shift's kinda funky at WOT to now that i think of it.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Two things going through my head:

Your tune isn't what it could be
Your car isn't currently putting down the power you are thinking (probably because of the reason above)

You should have easily pulled on both cars, regardless of transmission.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 89tang
AHHHHHH frost i think you might have something. I remember scanning on my LS1m and the timing dropping down to 0* on every shift then climbing back up to normal. My tuner took my 99 pcm and put in 02 files so you probably can't edit mine either now. Which is why also i get a dumbass P0757 code now. Plus he needs to do some more tuning on my tranny i think, it shifts funky at part throttle vs. when it did with the 99 files in it that were modded. It also shift's kinda funky at WOT to now that i think of it.

I can look at it if you have HPT and can send me an image...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need help with my auto tranny in my 99 car and ive got HPtuners for it but i have no clue how to send a file.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Teching In

" i have no clue how to send a file" Me neither I have an A4 Ws6, and it's some times performs and sometimes does not. Please advise.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
I can look at it if you have HPT and can send me an image...
I'll have to get back to you on it, I don't have HPT but have a buddy that has it i'll have to see if i can use his and pay some cash so i can tune mine. The only thing i have is my LS1m and it's only a scanner and code reader, it can't do anything else.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Another thing to think about is, with more power come less traction. These stock cars from a roll might be getting 100% traction. You might be spinning bad and not even know it. Just my.02.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Another thing to think about is, with more power come less traction. These stock cars from a roll might be getting 100% traction. You might be spinning bad and not even know it. Just my.02.
No way, this thing has heavy *** 17x9 rims that's alot of meat touching the pavement there's no possible way i'm spinning at 65+mph on the 2-3 shift. I would love for that to be a reason lol but i don't make that much power
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I think your tune is the issue because you should of pulled both those cars easily
Old 01-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I tested the car again tonight vs. a 00 TA with headers and basically no exhaust and no tune what so ever. There is something wrong with my TA, i was actually getting pulled alittle this pisses me off.

How can the car make 371rwhp and run so crappy? Honestly i don't think it would even pull better times as it did with the smaller cam i had in it and it made 353rwhp running 12.7@110mph. Time for a call to someone to make this right........................

Last edited by 89tang; 01-06-2007 at 08:54 PM.