Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Heads & Cam C5 vs E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads & Cam C5 vs E63 AMG

Ran into a new E63 AMG Benz on my way home from work tonight. Very sweet ride...he was getting on it quite a bit and it really moved out. I caught him at a traffic light (I was behind him) and we got out in front of traffic a good ways and he slowed down to let me get along side. I was on my street tires (Goodyear Supercar 295/35-18), so lucky for me, we started from a roll that had me in the bottom of 2nd gear. I bumped the throttle as I crept up on him and he got the jump by maybe a nose, but I put about a car on him in 2nd, and stretched it out some more by halfway through 3rd. Very impressive; I was pulling him by a few car-lengths for sure, but definitely not putting bus-lengths on him. Do not underestimate these things; if I were stock, I think he would have taken me. The driver was very cool; we gave each other thumbs up and waved at the next traffic light.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they ran mid 12's stock? I know the E55's are low 12's all day long, seen it at E-Town with a Chick at the wheel, and Atco with a "Grandpa" driving..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep, never see anything that nice in upstate SC. Just the occasional Porche or maybe a Viper if you're lucky
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They run 11s and have more than 700lb/ft of torque

EDIT: sorry about that I was thinking of the E65 amg which is the car my buddies dad has.. its plain absurd.

Check this vid of a CL65 amg (same engine) running against a new z06

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....346FC&kw=2&p=0
Old 01-09-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
yep, never see anything that nice in upstate SC. Just the occasional Porche or maybe a Viper if you're lucky
upstate SC. where at im in spartanburg??
Old 01-09-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I searched the internet for E63 AMG 1/4 mile times. The slowest time I found posted was 13 flat @ 108 mph. There are quite a few claims of 12.5 - 12.6 times @ 115 mph. This seems pretty consistent with my experience yesterday. I ran him from the bottom of 2nd through the middle of 3rd gears. I was pulling a few cars on him, but not putting bus-lengths on him. Very impressive that he did that well against a heads & cam C5. I would not want to line up against one of those in a bone stock LS1. They are very quiet too (at least compared to my car); that's how he got the jump on me initially...I was bumping the throttle as I pulled along side to let him know I was ready to play, but I never heard him hit it...next thing I knew he was out on me A stock LS1, or probably even a bolt-on car, isn't going to be able to run one of these down if they get the jump on you!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Nice kill! What kinda power are you putting down? I am assuming in the 450-460ish range.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RAACCR
Ran into a new E63 AMG Benz on my way home from work tonight. Very sweet ride...he was getting on it quite a bit and it really moved out. I caught him at a traffic light (I was behind him) and we got out in front of traffic a good ways and he slowed down to let me get along side. I was on my street tires (Goodyear Supercar 295/35-18), so lucky for me, we started from a roll that had me in the bottom of 2nd gear. I bumped the throttle as I crept up on him and he got the jump by maybe a nose, but I put about a car on him in 2nd, and stretched it out some more by halfway through 3rd. Very impressive; I was pulling him by a few car-lengths for sure, but definitely not putting bus-lengths on him. Do not underestimate these things; if I were stock, I think he would have taken me. The driver was very cool; we gave each other thumbs up and waved at the next traffic light.
Awesome race. Ive yet to even seen a 63 on the road yet. I just raced an E55 a couple days back and they are pretty quick too!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sciff5
They run 11s and have more than 700lb/ft of torque

EDIT: sorry about that I was thinking of the E65 amg which is the car my buddies dad has.. its plain absurd.

Check this vid of a CL65 amg (same engine) running against a new z06

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....346FC&kw=2&p=0

No such thing as an E65, but the S65's, SL65's and CL65's are insane.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hehe I saw a chick driving a brand new Mercedes convertible the other day, was thinking, "I'll catch up to this snobby hoe and show her whats up". Then I saw the AMG badge on the back as she passed while I was waiting to make a right turn and was like fuuuq that .
Props on a good kill.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Nice kill! What kinda power are you putting down? I am assuming in the 450-460ish range.
Just did the heads & cam about a month ago; car hasn't been on a dyno yet. Probably only putting down 420ish, but the car is very light. ('99 FRC; only weighs ~3200# with me in it.) Just a little Comp XER 224/228 111 +2 cam and 62cc Patriot 243 heads. Running on a pieced togather MAF tune right now. I hope to get the Speed Density tune dialed in this weekend.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Electric
Awesome race. Ive yet to even seen a 63 on the road yet. I just raced an E55 a couple days back and they are pretty quick too!
Quite a few E55 cars around here. Saw a RennTech tweaked E55 lay down a 11.7 at the track about 2 months ago.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Here's a couple of nice E55's gettin down at the track.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...74974806cd.htm
Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

If you were stock it wouldn't even be close. E63 AMG's are easily capable of running low 12's all day.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
If you were stock it wouldn't even be close. E63 AMG's are easily capable of running low 12's all day.
As I stated in my original post, "If I were stock, I think he would have taken me".

Although, it might have been pretty close. Prior to last month's mods, it ran 12.3's and trapped 113mph. The only non-original equipment parts on my car, at that time, were tires and an air filter. (That's about as stock as you can find for an 8 year old daily driver...you've got to expect tires and filters will be replaced as a matter of routine wear and maintenance.) Remember that this is a FRC 'Vette, which is only weighed 3080# bone stock! (Much lighter than an F-Body.)
Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

As I stated in my original post, "If I were stock, I think he would have taken me".

Although, it might have been pretty close. Prior to last month's mods, it ran 12.3's and trapped 113mph. The only non-original equipment parts on my car, at that time, were tires and an air filter. (That's about as stock as you can find for an 8 year old daily driver...you've got to expect tires and filters will be replaced as a matter of routine wear and maintenance.) Remember that this is a FRC 'Vette, which is only weighed 3080# bone stock! (Much lighter than an F-Body.)
Are you telling me that your basically bone stock FRC ran 12.3's@113??? Very hard to believe...and I know how much FRC's weigh. Mine weighed 3,000 even last time I was at the track.

If you come back and say the tires were non drag radials and the filter was just a drop in Im calling BS.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1 jeff
Are you telling me that your basically bone stock FRC ran 12.3's@113??? Very hard to believe...and I know how much FRC's weigh. Mine weighed 3,000 even last time I was at the track.

If you come back and say the tires were non drag radials and the filter was just a drop in Im calling BS.
Rear tires were were MT drag radials.
Air filter system was a Vararam.

The car also had the MAF screen removed and no front swaybar...I chose my words very carefully; those items were removed (therefore, they were not on my car), thus "the only non-original equipment parts on my car at that time" were the tires and air filter

Last edited by RAACCR; 01-12-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Vararam is not a "filter system"... it's an all new intake.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Vararam is not a "filter system"... it's an all new intake.
I consider an "intake" to be a manifold. Then, somewhere along the line, the ricer crowd started calling their air filter kits "intakes"...maybe it makes them feel better about their inadequacies to compare their crap to real performance parts, but I'm not buying into that. What's next...headers = cylinder heads?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Rear tires were were MT drag radials.
Air filter system was a Vararam.

The car also had the MAF screen removed and no front swaybar...I chose my words very carefully; those items were removed (therefore, they were not on my car), thus "the only non-original equipment parts on my car at that time" were the tires and air filter
The vararam and DR's make it more believable. Must have had great conditions(low DA) and be a hell of a driver.

The best I got my car to do with all the bolt-ons minus a pulley was 12.3@115 with a 1.9x 60.