Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just got my first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got my first ticket

Hey guys. I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just got my first ticket. I've had pretty good luck during the past decade of driving, but I got nailed today doing 65 in a 45. The ticket fine is $218! The cop was a real *** too. The first thing he said was "where the hell did you learn how to drive???" After that, I knew I wasn't getting a warning. He was rude the entire time, and wouldn't let me get a word in. Anyways, I just entered the 45 mph zone from a 60 mph zone. I never saw the speed limit signs because of the other cars surrounding me...and they were moving as fast as me! Out of all the cars, he singled out my pewter grandpa car! My winter car is a 1998 buick lesabre. I thought it was cheap to set a speed trap at that area. I was thinking of fighting it in court. I want to keep my record clean. What do you guys think? I've heard of many people getting only a court fee, and 90 days probation instead of paying the ticket, and having it on my record. Since my record is clean, maybe they will show a little mercy on me. If it doesn't go my way, I at least hope my insurance doesn't go up. I'm told that I may luck out since I have a clean record. I have progressive insurance by the way. What do you guys think?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my first ticket I had I got the 90 days court supervision and got it taken off my record. But when I did it I had to pay the ticket and court costs but I think it's probably worth it to keep your record clean. But I'm in Illinois so it might be a little different.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Is driving school an option in your state? I took that route once. Never showed on my record. But good luck whichever way you go.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

You have a chance if the cop doesnt even show up, the ticket is thrown out. Your best bet is to ask for deferred adjudication (sp?). Its a 3 month probation like time period, if you dont get a ticket or in trouble, the court usually takes it off your record. Goodluck...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

The cop will show up, they always do. Not sure how insurance works for you, but we get one freepass kinda thing where the first ticket wont raise your insurance.

I never got a warning the first time i got pulled over either, dont you just love it when you get one of the ******* cops?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Teching In

getting a lawyer is always best bet.i picked up a racing ticket, got a lawyer somehow he got it changed to illegal parking.100 dollar ticket, 200 dollar lawyer. = 1 expensive ice cream.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm not sure what will happen. I'm praying for the 90 day probation. The ticket says that if I want to fight it, I show up at one of the addresses shown on the ticket. There are 3 separate places that I could show up. There is no set schedule. I just need to show up between the hours of 8 am and 3:30pm. I'll pick the location farthest away from where I was stopped. That's the plan so far. I don't know what will happen since it is my first ticket. I'm not sure if there is a driving school to erase the ticket from my record. I have the option of pleading not guilty or guilty with an explanation. I guess I will have to use an explanation. My explanation is that "I am unfamiliar with that particular freeway, and I didn't see the sign to reduce speed from 60 to 45mph. I was surrounded by other cars that were also going the same speed, and just focused on the road. I never thought that a freeway would reduce speed to 45. I will say that it was an honest mistake, and I can't afford to have a ticket on my record because I am going to be a Fed Ex driver, and they like a clean record. I work there as a handler right now. My clean record shows that I'm not a troublemaker. It was an honest error."
I know it sounds corny, but I figure it may help give me a chance. By the way, my dad is a retired cop, and I don't want him to find out, or I'll never hear the end of it. Even though I have my own house, I am on his insurance because he cosigned for my truck, just so I could get 0.0% financing for 5 years. Boy, cops can be a real pain in the ***.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

well if their giving 3 different places and no set schedual it sounds like it doesnt matter if the cop shows up or not in your state. probation for a ticket? damn you guys are lucky, and $218 for a 20mph over ticket is CHEAP! i need to move..
but def fight it and see what you can do, explain how you just entered the 45zone and i wouldnt be surrprised if the judge knocked the ticket down a bit.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Get an lawyer, they can knock it down to defective equipment.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Oldbones
Get an lawyer, they can knock it down to defective equipment.
I agree get a lawyer, you can beat almost anything with one. My brother got 17 tickets over an 18 month period when he was a new and wild driver. His lawyer beat 16 of them. I got 3 tickets once while racing a stang in my bro's blown camaro, I was doing at least 110 in a 40. The cop was nice though and didn't take the car, he only gave me 3 tickets. 400 dollars to the lawyer and no tickets on my record. As long as you feed the system money you can get away with almost anything.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I would love to get a lawyer, but I just don't have the cash. I know that the ticket will force me to cough it up anyways, but if I can just keep it from going on my record, that would make me happy. Maybe they can reduce the fine. I am willing to take driving school to humor them. I will also try doing deferred adjudication since my record is clean. If I got busted racing or was given a reckless, then I would have no choice but to get a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill.

Just so you know, this isn't the right section for this, and there are quite a few posts that have great advice about tickets. We've even got a few cops on this site that I think have given advice...

Search will help you out...

here you go..https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4631578
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cartmanchevy
I would love to get a lawyer, but I just don't have the cash. I know that the ticket will force me to cough it up anyways, but if I can just keep it from going on my record, that would make me happy. Maybe they can reduce the fine. I am willing to take driving school to humor them. I will also try doing deferred adjudication since my record is clean. If I got busted racing or was given a reckless, then I would have no choice but to get a lawyer.
If you shop around you maybe able to get one for $75, that's how much I was paying my last lawyer for speeding tickets ect.. She worked out of her house and was part time.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JDJP
Good kill.

Just so you know, this isn't the right section for this, and there are quite a few posts that have great advice about tickets. We've even got a few cops on this site that I think have given advice...

Search will help you out...

here you go..https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4631578
thanks man. I wasn't sure where to post
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know a good inexpensive lawyer in MN?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

no problem, Thought I'd tell you before the post got locked

A good place for this post would be either General LSX Automobile Discussion
Or the REGIONAL FORUMS, because laws differ in every state of course....
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDJP
no problem, Thought I'd tell you before the post got locked

A good place for this post would be either General LSX Automobile Discussion
Or the REGIONAL FORUMS, because laws differ in every state of course....
Thanks for the warning. By the way, is that your pitbull? I have one myself.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be a man and take it. I have gotten 6 or so speeding tickets and I'm 23. Just pay it and be done with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, thats one of a couple, here are some better pics,http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/sh...82&postcount=9
post up some pics of yours..http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5406
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

my last speeding ticket was 60 in a 35, and the cop was really nice, he dropped it down right there to like 50-35 so it wouldnt be a 6point 440$ ticket and instead a 180$ and 4 points, and he told me if i came to court hed try and get it dropped further, and i did and he got it dropped down to 2 points a 76$...btw gluck with urs