Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

new wrx vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Evo is beter in a strait line. Sorry.

But one of the coolest people I ever met at a track was this guy with a mild bolt-on STi running high 12s. He knew his stuff and strait said that Evos are simply better geared and easier to mod for strait line performance. And the results that I have seen online and in the real world back that. The EJXX is not a match for the 4G63.

Fortuneatly for Subaru, Mitsu has gone and fucked the one good thing they had going and now we will all get to shake our heads sadly while the Evo X runs around with a weak-assed-open-freakin-deck-aluminum-pansy-engine-block. Leave it to Mistu to take the one great motor they have and toss it right when its truly coming into its own. RB11. Gahhhh!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:35 AM
M2N
Banned

WTF are you guys talking about, a stock 06 STi not only runs the 1/4th in .3 faster, but traps higher than the evo. They are both *** ugly cars but the suby even looks better and sounds better. For every fast Evo there are about 5 fast STi's, atleast where I am. And yes from a roll an LS1 fbody will beat both the evo and STi but in the 1/4th stock vs stock Id have my money on the Sti or evo if the driver knew how to launch.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

^^^ I have to agree all except the butt ugly LOL. Tho I must admit I was not struck by how beautiful it was like I was my Blackbird. I still think the 00-02 WS6's are the best looking cars ever built by Pontiac. But I needed a car with AWD so there was only 2 real choices and I liked the look of the Subaru better. Since I don't plan on getting outrageous HP; from what I've seen and heard the Subaru may be more reliable than the Mitsubishi.

What I did notice (and could be considered beautiful) the car came stock with: a 300hp/300tq Boxer engine, 17" forged BBS rims, Brembo Brakes, DCCD, yaw input sensor, symetrical AWD, diffusion panels, IC spray, and projector headlights (seeing at night=cool).

.3 in the 1/4 is rape. True you can get higher psi out of the stock EVO IX MR turbo and it comes FMIC. Which almost undoubtably makes for higher rpm for full spool. However at truly high levels of HP both cars have almost no resemblance to stock. And becomes a simple game of how much money you have......................

Last edited by Blackbird39; 02-19-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

WOW.. A whole lot of wrong info in this tread. I can see if you don't own a car that you aren't expected to know anything/everything about it, but don't go posting wrong info.

The 06 WRX has a 2.5L, AVCS heads, larger injectors(even bigger then the STi, go figure) and a catless up/pipe and a better tranny (beefier and better gearing), 02 to 05 had a 2.0L and no advanced timing (aka AVCS), small injectors, catted up/pipe and a weak tranny.

The TR stands for Tuner Ready and besides the weight (due to normal AC not climate controled and some missing body parts) it is the same as a normal WRX. In 06 Subaru gave more options and divided the WRX up in to 3 classes, WRX-TR, WRX and WRX-limited(leather and other crap).

06 STi is basically the same as the 04/05 STi motor wise. The 07 has a different turbo (larger exhaust housing/flapper) and new ECU (able to learn a lot better) and seems like heads too. The 07 are pulling crazy power from very little mods and no tuning. Learn more here if you give a sh|t

Stock 06+ WRX has gone 13.6 in the 1/4 mile. The best thing about the 06+ is to mod them is easy. With the larger injectors, open up/pipe you can swap turbos a lot easier. Do turbo back exhaust, vf39(stock STi turbo can be had for $250.00) and a flash/ecu which ever way you go and you have a mid to low 12 second car. If you do the work/tune yourself and bargain shop you can do it for under $700.00.

For comparison my 2002 with a vf39 went 12.4 and thats with a 2.0L.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Please lets not get into this endless arguement. Believe me there are as many reasons for people to feel the STI has more potential than the EVO as you do that the EVO has more than the STI. These cars are so damn close that it really comes down to driver prefferance. If we were to talk stock 1/4 mile times (from reputable and unbiased sources). C&D has the 06 Evo MR at 4.5 sec 0-60 and 13.3sec 1/4mile. The 06 STI at 4.5 sec 0-60 and 13.0sec 1/4mile.
I was referring to the mod potential of the engines. Not trying to get into a arguement. Anyone knows that the 4G63 is one of the best 4cyl ever made, the Suby just doesnt respond quite as well, I still like them though and have several friends with them.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird39

Well 2 car length or so win from the Z28, that is about what one would expect from a slightly modded Z28 vs stock STI from a roll with passenger. And you are correct getting the most out of a STI is not easy, they have the most tricky shifting tranny I have ever driven. Man I miss my Tremmec M-6.

12.92 1/4 for the Z is moving out!! Really nice for only lid and catback. You were def. outpowering him. And getting a time like that with those few mods is a sign you are a very good driver. Do you ever go to commerce? I am planning to head down there to get a slip with my STI. They open for Fast Friday March 9th. it would be cool if a couple of you guys could make it. I would like to see how my TBE/tune does against your Firehawk, I think it would be an excellent race. A local car club that I belong to (Mountain Boost) is making a trip down there. So far we've got going: 2 STI's, an EVO a GT 500, and a 10sec Supra who is shooting for the 9's this time.
Thanks for the props man. I just practice enough to the point where I can totally feel the car (usually takes 25-40 1/4mi passes).

Would love to have a friendly run with you as well

Where is commerce? I live near Baltimore.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Evo's, STI's, and WRX's are slow. Who doesn't know that?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M2N
WTF are you guys talking about, a stock 06 STi not only runs the 1/4th in .3 faster, but traps higher than the evo. They are both *** ugly cars but the suby even looks better and sounds better. For every fast Evo there are about 5 fast STi's, atleast where I am. And yes from a roll an LS1 fbody will beat both the evo and STi but in the 1/4th stock vs stock Id have my money on the Sti or evo if the driver knew how to launch.
I'm sorry but the new EVO 9 with that Mivec Turbo is clearly a stronger car in a straight line over the STI. I've seen a bone stock time of 12.9 at 106 for a stock EVO 9 MR. An '06 STI won't get close to trapping at 106. With that Mivec Turbo the Evo 9 has gotten stronger all throughout the rpm's and have a much better top end than the EVO 8. The new Evolution has surpassed the STI in all-around performance.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Evo's, STI's, and WRX's are slow. Who doesn't know that?
They are not that bad in a stock form and have a very nice potential!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Evo's, STI's, and WRX's are fast. Who doesn't know that?
Wow, smartest thing Ive ever heard you say
Old 02-19-2007, 08:02 PM
M2N
Banned

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
I'm sorry but the new EVO 9 with that Mivec Turbo is clearly a stronger car in a straight line over the STI. I've seen a bone stock time of 12.9 at 106 for a stock EVO 9 MR. An '06 STI won't get close to trapping at 106. With that Mivec Turbo the Evo 9 has gotten stronger all throughout the rpm's and have a much better top end than the EVO 8. The new Evolution has surpassed the STI in all-around performance.
Sti's have gone 12.8 stock. The STi is obviously the better car, why the hell do you think all the ricers worship it instead of the evo?? Stock vs stock its faster, its also lighter and and all around smaller car. Nearly every test they have done the Sti always comes out on top, and the funny thing is the Sti is a little cheaper to. And on top of alllllllllll that, the Evo is built by the shittyest car company in the world, MITSUSHITSI.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by M2N
Sti's have gone 12.8 stock. The STi is obviously the better car, why the hell do you think all the ricers worship it instead of the evo?? Stock vs stock its faster, its also lighter and and all around smaller car. Nearly every test they have done the Sti always comes out on top, and the funny thing is the Sti is a little cheaper to. And on top of alllllllllll that, the Evo is built by the shittyest car company in the world, MITSUSHITSI.
That's just straight up hating man! Be nice!

I personally like both, but since I mostly race in a straight line I would've went with Evo. I also can't stand the looks of a new body STI.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Thanks for the props man. I just practice enough to the point where I can totally feel the car (usually takes 25-40 1/4mi passes).

Would love to have a friendly run with you as well

Where is commerce? I live near Baltimore.
Np, I give credit where credit is due.

Hmm Baltimore lol; sometimes I forget this is not the southern section, I should have looked at your location. Commerce is south of Atlanta GA. so yeah it would be a stretch for ya to make it.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Haha, a bit too far of a drive unfortunately

I can't wait for the track to open up, so I can start practicing with my hawk. Only took it to the track once, a week after I bought it, and times weren't that impressive, but I know I got some room for improvement.

Got any times for the STI? Or you waiting for the tracks to open up in March?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 PM
M2N
Banned

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
That's just straight up hating man! Be nice!

I personally like both, but since I mostly race in a straight line I would've went with Evo. I also can't stand the looks of a new body STI.
The new evo body style looks even worse. It really dosnt matter though, both are over priced weed wacker powered rice boxes that are no match for the LS1.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

All I know is that it's getting scarier everyday for us bonestock guys. Too many cars nowadays will smoke the **** out of me
Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

I like the looks of evo better than STI, but it's just a personal preference.

I wouldn't say that they are weed wacker powered rice boxes. I woudn't mind ownding either one! I get bored with cars really fast and if it wasn't for the price, I wouldn't definitely get one of those cars to drive around for some time.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

just dont start out in a dig, and you'll smoke the **** out of him, well even at a dig you should smoke him
Old 02-20-2007, 02:00 AM
12 Second Club

Sombody this sh*t down finally!!!!!