Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my terminator vs. LS1 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my terminator vs. LS1 Z

I was headed to a cruise-in benefit to raise money for a 14 year-old kid with a rare bone disease (he loves cars) Sunday in the 04 Terminator. I came off the exit to the mall and a guy in a real nice looking dark blue Z (2000 I think) was sitting at the light bumping a serious exhaust beat. He saw me pull in behind him and revved. His license plate said "Z4U2TRY". The light turned green and he nailed it then moved over to allow me to pull along side at the next light. I looked over and he nodded. I don't normally street race, but the temtation was too strong since I haven't been to the track since last November.
When the light turned green, we both nailed it. in spite of fighting desperately for traction, I was able to pull him by 6 or so lengths before we had to shut down for the traffic light (reached about 100MPH).
I pulled in to the turn lane to the mall and hoped he would follow since I wanted to know what he had done to his car. He pulled up along side me at the light and shook his head and gave me a thumbs up then went on his way. Cool guy, fast car.

I'd like to find him again since I think he'd give my 92 LX a great run (I'd prefer a friendly grudge run at the track). I'd also like to learn a little more about his car. It was the best sounding LS1 I've ever heard and pretty damn quick too.

We ended up with about 36 cars at the cruise-in and raised over $1200 (at last count) for the kid's medical bills. I wish the guy in the comaro had stopped in. Pretty good day.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

6 lengths by 100? Damn strong running Cobra you have there..

[EDIT] Just noticed your 9 sec Club
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowmofo
6 lengths by 100? Damn strong running Cobra you have there..

[EDIT] Just noticed your 9 sec Club
My 9 sec car is an 85 GT. The cobra has a turbo set up. I'm fortunate enough (I think) to own 5 mustangs currently. I really should get responsible (read smart) and sell a few of them.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Any one from the Richmond VA area know the car I raced? I was wondering if the guy was on here.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to say thats crazy street racing a 9 second car but then you cleared that up. I don't think you would loose to many on the street with that car lol. how fast is the one you raced with?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

turbo Cobra...nice couldnt get any better. Good Kill!!! he prolly had a series head and cam package on his car

+1 for raising money for the kid. Good to see people do that for others they dont even know.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
I was going to say thats crazy street racing a 9 second car but then you cleared that up. I don't think you would loose to many on the street with that car lol. how fast is the one you raced with?
I don't know. That's the reason I'd like to find the guy again aside from the fact that he seemed like a cool car guy...not the ricer mentality type of flipping you the bird or getting pissed off if you run across someone faster. He had a sweet ride.

I run my 9 sec fox body on the street too!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

if it's a turbo term car, it probably traps for 9s, but ETs double digits...either way, damn fast car. it takes a pretty serious h/c/n2o ls1 fbod (that isn't gutted) to compete with a strong term car...and there aren't very many of those fbods around here.

the cobra guys here laugh at the ls1 fbods and cringe @ the swaps. 2 ls1 fc cars, both t-rex cammed and spraying a 175+ shot are representing well...although one is blown up (but supposeably coming back with a forged 6.0) - i like camaros, but they are too heavy and a BIG PAIN IN THE *** TO WORK ON.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

if it's a turbo term car, it probably traps for 9s, but ETs double digits...
I have not run the car on the 1/4. It has the stock F1 tires and clutch...not to mention no cage. I race my 85GT often and my "seat-of-the-pants" tells me your statement would be pretty close to accurate. Obviously I need a clutch and tires, but I don't have the time or money to get into that any time soon.
I'll be happy with my terminator being a fast street car with potential...for now. It needs a 2 step or maybe a 75 shot to get it moving when I do make the much needed additions. The car still has the IRS, though DSS halfshafts are installed.
Cars and money...I have too much of one and not enough of the other. At least I'm not the only guy in THAT boat.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Cars and money...I have too much of one and not enough of the other. At least I'm not the only guy in THAT boat.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

AMEN BROTHER!! And good kill. love those terminators!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know. That's the reason I'd like to find the guy again aside from the fact that he seemed like a cool car guy...not the ricer mentality type of flipping you the bird or getting pissed off if you run across someone faster. He had a sweet ride.

I run my 9 sec fox body on the street too!
i think he meant how fast is your cobra that you were driving at the time.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00firebird
i think he meant how fast is your cobra that you were driving at the time.
Have not run it at the track for reasons mentioned above. I will say it's a typical "roll race" performer at this point just as s346k indicated. 700rwhp on the street tune and in need of a clutch, tires and (if I intend on racing it) cage. IRS isn't exactly the best for leaving hard in spite of the DSS halfshafts, though I've seen more than one cobra run 9s on a strenghtened IRS.

It's a street car for now.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

I was cruising around last week and raced a cobra, blew it away on the bottle. But then again, Im in CT and youre in VA area.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Specialized
I was cruising around last week and raced a cobra, blew it away on the bottle. But then again, Im in CT and youre in VA area.
Yea. Too bad...we could give it a go if closer.

Blowing away (even if it was stock) a Terminator makes your car pretty fast...congrats.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

My 9 sec car is an 85 GT. The cobra has a turbo set up. I'm fortunate enough (I think) to own 5 mustangs currently. I really should get responsible (read smart) and sell a few of them and get a couple of real muscle cars

Fixed it for you. But seriously I can only imagine what the guy in the Z's face must have looked like when he didnt hear a S/C whine as you ripped past him but rather the sound of a friggen jet! Def need to post some picas of the setup if you have them. Good Kill!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98

+1 for raising money for the kid. Good to see people do that for others they dont even know.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill! That sounds like one badass car you have!

HA, that must have been the only stock Cobra in CT. And it doesn't sound like ANY bottle you could fit inside your car would help you out even if you WERE in VA.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

haha you don't have a big enough jet to even consider running with the author's cobra.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by s346k
haha you don't have a big enough jet to even consider running with the author's cobra.
- now that was funny.

Quick Reply: my terminator vs. LS1 Z