Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

smoked an STI

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
but sti's will last a while if properly taken care of.
As will LS1 F bodies, contrary to the riceboyz' (and "sheeple" general populace's) opinion. Just look at the high mileage threads on here.

Also, someone stated that a '98 Z28 cost $30K new. Funny how I paid <$21K for a 2000 Z28 brand spanking new (and faster yet, since it is lighter!). Let's see anyone pay that little for even a slower WRX, NEW!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
You have got to be kidding me.

No, clearly I don't know what an LS6 is having been here for how much longer than you with how many more posts? I probably know more about the differences of the LS6 and the LS1 than you do. I probably know more about F-bodies than you do. Here is a good example:

Did you know that *gasp* 2001-2002 M6 cars came with the LS6 clutch? How about you read the newbie section of this site.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2

Next, 400 WHP is a Z06 with another amazing thing, a couple of mods, which ironically is exactly what I said. That kettle is black, btw.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch

No kidding. If you were less angry and more realistic, you would realize that when you beat on any car, you brake things. The rear of the F-body however, will brake if you beat on it, just like the situation you described about launching an STI. Imagine the symmetry, which is exactly what I and another person pointed out to you! Although it is not the transmission that brakes on STi's, it is the rear axle and the differentials.

Please, before you post, make sure your facts are correct and you don't sound quite so ignorant.
This is a dumb argument any car you beat on will break i hate it! i have burnt a clutch and broke the rear in my car and i have less that 30k on my odometer!!! But i have abused my drivetrain with nitrous and heavy launches on sticky tires !! The old saying is you have to pay to play comes in on all cars !! No car drivetrain is undestructible especially with me driving If you take care of the car and dont drive like me it will last along time and that goes for almost any type of car !
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001z
This is a dumb argument any car you beat on will break i hate it! i have burnt a clutch and broke the rear in my car and i have less that 30k on my odometer!!! But i have abused my drivetrain with nitrous and heavy launches on sticky tires !! The old saying is you have to pay to play comes in on all cars !! No car drivetrain is undestructible especially with me driving If you take care of the car and dont drive like me it will last along time and that goes for almost any type of car !
Amen to that, with my 03 cobra, i KNOW once i turbo this bitch, i should have about 2-3 months with the stock block past 800RWHP...and thats ONLY beacuse i barley drive the damn thing lol.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
As will LS1 F bodies, contrary to the riceboyz' (and "sheeple" general populace's) opinion. Just look at the high mileage threads on here.

Also, someone stated that a '98 Z28 cost $30K new. Funny how I paid <$21K for a 2000 Z28 brand spanking new (and faster yet, since it is lighter!). Let's see anyone pay that little for even a slower WRX, NEW!
While I agree with you that Z28's were bargains for the performance, adjusted for inflation, a 2000 Z28 that was $21,000 in 1999 is $25,651.13 which is about $1,500 more than a new WRX (although just a *little* slower )

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Glad that 2001z and Wants an LS1 see the obviousness of the that argument, heh

Also, my 98 Z28 had a tough life and the clutch, which I took out at 84k miles, still had another 15k on it (replaced it because the slave broke and said, why not when I'm already taking 1/2 the stuff out anyway). They are tough, its the little things that break on it (how many times I replaced power window motors...)
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
While I agree with you that Z28's were bargains for the performance, adjusted for inflation, a 2000 Z28 that was $21,000 in 1999 is $25,651.13 which is about $1,500 more than a new WRX (although just a *little* slower )

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Glad that 2001z and Wants an LS1 see the obviousness of the that argument, heh

Also, my 98 Z28 had a tough life and the clutch, which I took out at 84k miles, still had another 15k on it (replaced it because the slave broke and said, why not when I'm already taking 1/2 the stuff out anyway). They are tough, its the little things that break on it (how many times I replaced power window motors...)

Yeah Z28's are cheap, but STi is the top of the line Subaru. So really to properly compare purchase price with an F-body you should compare the STi with a T/A WS6 which was base priced at $32k. Also take into consideration that is 2002 dollars which is more like $36k in todays inflated dollars.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Yeah Z28's are cheap, but STi is the top of the line Subaru. So really to properly compare purchase price with an F-body you should compare the STi with a T/A WS6 which was base priced at $32k. Also take into consideration that is 2002 dollars which is more like $36k in todays inflated dollars.

I dont think people would pay 36k for a 07 trans am if it was the same car as 98-02.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129
I dont think people would pay 36k for a 07 trans am if it was the same car as 98-02.
Yea, and people did not pay that much when they were new; I remember those discounts.