Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Was I imagining this? Or was it really happening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Was I imagining this? Or was it really happening?

Last fall I went to the track with my car club, and on the hour long ride back this guy that owns a 2004 Cobra and I were having some fun. We raced a few times, unofficially. We rarely hit the gas at the same time as each other. It was almost always him first... lol. Anyway, every time he hit the gas first i would get in it about a second or less later (after he had started pulling away already), and it seemed like almost every time as we got to the top of the gear just before we let out of it (we only raced for a short time, nothing real fast or anything) I would have made him stop pulling away and we were accelerating evenly. As soon as I would make him stop pulling away from me he would let off and we would be done, so I never got to see if I would catch him through the next gear. Now I got the impression '04 cobras were much faster than our cars, but there is something else...

His mods listed on our site says "H/E, T-56(viperspec), Subframe conn., Spec III, Ported S/C" and he has run a 12.5 fastest time, but on this day he was actually running high 13's/low14's because of horrible wheel hop he claimed. I was running low 13's all day with 13.1 fastest. I had all the mods I have now, only the stock TB/LS1 intake and a ORY/Hooker instead of duals.

I would say he wasn't that good of a driver and thats why I was catching him, if it weren't for his having run a 12.5 before, and us only racing through one gear really, so there was no shifting involved.

So what do you think, could I have really stopped him from pulling away from me each time? Or was I too in love with my car that I thought it was a supercar? lol
Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a little clip out of something i posted a while ago right after it happened. This will be a better representation of what happened because I would be able to remember it better...

"At one stoplight somewhere we both started off slow, but then he started to go hard, so he got a head start and started pulling away from me immediately. Up until about 80 we went, and I was very surprised... I know his car should kinda blow the doors off mine, but he slowly started to pull away from me less and less and by the time we got to about 80 or whatever it was he had stopped pulling away, we were accelerating exactly the same, but right when that happened he hit the brakes, so I didn't see if I would start catching him at all. Maybe he was in 1 gear too high or thats the bottom of a gear for him(cause I'm getting close to the top of 2nd at that point) or something I don't know."
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

either he's the wurst driver ever, or he is lying about his mods, a pullied, ported blower cobra with the supporting mods would straight up rape your car, especially from a roll or 80+ mph and you being an auto, he would be putting close to 500 rwhp with those mods, but from the sound of your race he was much closer to stock than he is saying.....just my opinion
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

He isn't the best driver. Nate with his car pulled on him right when he shifts and it's all over. Matt can't drive for **** really. If you put a better driver in his cobra then it would have raped you.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like that Cobra needs the Driver Mod!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

I just didn't know how he could have not shifted at all and I still slowed him down. I never actually started gaining on him, but I stopped him from pulling away. Each time we only ran through one gear, so it wasn't like he had to shift at all other than choosing the gear to race with. I don't know, I was just curious as I remembered the story yesterday for some reason.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Go find another Cobra and find out. Sounds to me like he had some issues or he drives like a girl.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

I say it was traction. After the driver mod, he will be able to bring it under control.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Other than that light we never raced under about 50 probably, and it was just through one gear. Thats what I just can't get. It was one gear at high speeds. I would think that would eliminate traction and bad shifting as the issue. I don't know, I was just curious if my car really could be close to his. On our site he says 433hp too BTW.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Could it be gearing or maybe you were hitting your powerband right then? If he has gears and you have stock gears, he might launch alot harder and be quicker on lower speed runs.

idk either car, just offering some possible causes for this.