Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Supra Run In!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
I found several sources contradticting eachother, some sources claimed the car was a blue devil(usually the initial reports) while others said it was a myth. Regardless though the driver was definetly Jan Magnussen.
read it and weap, its a Z06, nothing more:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939436
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supra/RX7 are rice. Japanese/Asian manf.= rice burner. That does not have to be considered an insult. Supras are nice cars and there are some damn fast ones running around, but they are Japanese cars and therefore Rice.

Mexican-manf cars would be beans if there were such a thing. Rice and beans is better than Spam and beans. Fried rice and re-fried beans....
Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
This goes without saying. Eliminate it's Hollywood glorification, and watch it's value immediately decrease. I still have an early/mid '90's magazine comparison (Toyota Supra vs Chevy ZR1), and in it the Corvette dominates it in almost every category (save for the "two" things that almost always seem to have the only real relevance with those editing opportunists, comfort and cost)....

Heh, guess who won...?
I don't know why people always say this. THE VALUE NEVER DROPPED MUCH since 1993.5. The "Hollywood gorificication" did not increase the price of the Supra.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced
Supras seem to be the only modern car that gets more expensive with age.
Would you like to consider the rare Ferrari Enzo's with the color of yellow, white, or black. No to mention the MC12, FXX, and heck even low mile non molsted 03/04 cobras are raising in value.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

The enzo's and such are cars from the last couple of years while supras/rx7's are 14-15 years old and are still climbing, which to me is mor impressive...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67maro
Would you like to consider the rare Ferrari Enzo's with the color of yellow, white, or black. No to mention the MC12, FXX, and heck even low mile non molsted 03/04 cobras are raising in value.
Limited production cars don't count, thats the price you pay for exclusivity......

thank ford for screwing up the new cobra and keeping the price of the 03/04 cobras at an inflated level..... 17-22k from what i've seen recently.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

I don't know why people always say this. THE VALUE NEVER DROPPED MUCH since 1993.5. The "Hollywood gorificication" did not increase the price of the Supra.
Yeah, and Burt Reynolds didn't catapult the Trans Am name into what it has become. Many people seem to forget the trouble in which the Pontiac division were facing, that is, until Hollywood stepped in, and "boosted" (pun intended) sales....

Originally Posted by 95N20FORMULA
while supras/rx7's are 14-15 years old and are still climbing, which to me is mor impressive....
All based on demand. Years ago, Plymouth Barracuda's, w/the almight Hemi, could be had for rather cheap (handled like crap, stock). Try laying down the cash for one of them now. Supra's aren't God's gift, it's the fans that give them their value....
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

Limited production cars don't count, thats the price you pay for exclusivity......

thank ford for screwing up the new cobra and keeping the price of the 03/04 cobras at an inflated level..... 17-22k from what i've seen recently.
Wha..? Explanation, please?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Wha..? Explanation, please?
What part?

If you mean the new cobra comment, then it has nothing do do with the motor, but the 4000+lb cow they decided to put it in. That car would have been much, much faster had it been put into a 3500lb car, or ford could have bitten the bullet gone after the corvettes, priced it at 45-50k and used some composite body panels to bring the weight down to 3200-3300 lbs.

While the older crowd loves the Shelby500 it's way to heavy to be competitive
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

What part?

If you mean the new cobra comment, then it has nothing do do with the motor, but the 4000+lb cow they decided to put it in. That car would have been much, much faster had it been put into a 3500lb car, or ford could have bitten the bullet gone after the corvettes, priced it at 45-50k and used some composite body panels to bring the weight down to 3200-3300 lbs.

While the older crowd loves the Shelby500 it's way to heavy to be competitive
I'd do my homework if I were you. I guess you would agree that The LS1 F-Bod is "competitive"? Stock these cars run High 12s at best? Same can be said for the 03-04 Cobras? And with IRS the Cobras are better on the twisties?

Now let's compare these to the Shelby GT500... GT500 runs mid 12s rock stock and with a CAI/Tune and tires runs deep into the 11s...NOT COMPETITIVE? Sorry, no offense but you are ignorant of the GT500 if you think your statement to be fact.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd do my homework if I were you. I guess you would agree that The LS1 F-Bod is "competitive"? Stock these cars run High 12s at best? Same can be said for the 03-04 Cobras? And with IRS the Cobras are better on the twisties?

Now let's compare these to the Shelby GT500... GT500 runs mid 12s rock stock and with a CAI/Tune and tires runs deep into the 11s...NOT COMPETITIVE? Sorry, no offense but you are ignorant of the GT500 if you think your statement to be fact.
Maybe out on the east coast running at atco and e-town but out here in california they are high 12's stock and have seen 1 in the 11's pullied, full boltons on M/T 15x275 ET streets.

i love the 03-04 cobras (a bit heavy too) but the New 500 is being put up against Corvettes and Vipers i know they are in a different price point but non the less ford should have stepped it up......
Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Yeah, and Burt Reynolds didn't catapult the Trans Am name into what it has become. Many people seem to forget the trouble in which the Pontiac division were facing, that is, until Hollywood stepped in, and "boosted" (pun intended) sales....

Being only 9K total units produced of the MKIV Supra the availability is very low vs. the demand for them. Even in the late 90's early 2000's before the FnF used Supras from 1993.5+ were still selling at $35K+. The Supras value has always been inflated, period the end.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Being only 9K total units produced of the MKIV Supra.... the availability is very low...

Even in the late 90's early 2000's before the FnF used Supras from 1993.5+ were still selling at $35K.....
You see what's wrong with the above statement, don't you? Only 9000 MKIV units being made, and yet, they were "still selling" throughout the late 90's, early 00's, for thirty five grand?!?!

Allow me to re-paraphrase that for you. The ASKING PRICE was still set at $35K. Doesn't mean they were literally "selling" them at $35K (up until it's glorification). Big difference there bud....
Old 04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

You see what's wrong with the above statement, don't you? Only 9000 MKIV units being made, and yet, they were "still selling" throughout the late 90's, early 00's, for thirty five grand?!?!

Allow me to re-paraphrase that for you. The ASKING PRICE was still set at $35K. Doesn't mean they were literally "selling" them at $35K (up until it's glorification). Big difference there bud....
Uh, so what were they selling for?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEARSM
Uh, so what were they selling for?
Uh, were they even selling here...?

Can you possibly account for every single nine thousandth sale/re-sale, prior to F-n-F, aside from maybe five or six of them? Truth of the matter is, not many people even cared for it (save for a few) before it's Hollywood introduction....

You honestly going to argue that...?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Uh, were they even selling here...?

Can you possibly account for every single nine thousandth sale/re-sale, prior to F-n-F, aside from maybe five or six of them? Truth of the matter is, not many people even cared for it (save for a few) before it's Hollywood introduction....

You honestly going to argue that...?
They sold 9k units from 93.5 to 98. In 96 the price jumped up to 50K. Went back down to 45K in 97. I seriously doubt any dealership let a BRAND NEW SUPRA car go for under 30k. You have no idea how many people cared for it. Supraforums had several THOUSANDS members before FnF came out. Hell I owned 3 Supras before that movie EVER came out. Just because people like you never heard of the car before the movie doesnt mean EVERYONE did. I owned a MKII, MKIII so I was eagerly awaiting the debut of the MKIV.
You do know the Supra stopped being delivered to the states in 1998 right? By the time FnF came out you could not go to the showroom floor and by a new one.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Here, this is what all the "hype" is over. I posted this for you once before, on another forum I believe;

'93 Supra TT vs '92 Camaro B4C

The Supra is bone stock, and the Camaro has some free mods, but virtually stock nonetheless. Yes, the Supra wins this race, but so what. It edged out a Camaro. Is this what give it it's supreme status? Is this why they averaged $35K throughout the '90's....?

Opportunism at it's best. Had it been an '89 LC2 (TTA) in the Fast and the Furious, I could only imagine what the current asking price would be, twelve years later, no less....
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe out on the east coast running at atco and e-town but out here in california they are high 12's stock and have seen 1 in the 11's pullied, full boltons on M/T 15x275 ET streets.

i love the 03-04 cobras (a bit heavy too) but the New 500 is being put up against Corvettes and Vipers i know they are in a different price point but non the less ford should have stepped it up......
Ok. So then a LS1 F-bod or terminator would be running mid thirteens in stock trim in your neck of the woods. I think you missed my point. Also, a GT500 with FULL bolt-ons, and ET streets would run 10s anywhere except maybe Denver. Please do a little research before claiming to know about it.

Edit: Also note that FI cars lose less than a NA car at higher elevation.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Here, this is what all the "hype" is over. I posted this for you once before, on another forum I believe;

'93 Supra TT vs '92 Camaro B4C

The Supra is bone stock, and the Camaro has some free mods, but virtually stock nonetheless. Yes, the Supra wins this race, but so what. It edged out a Camaro. Is this what give it it's supreme status? Is this why they averaged $35K throughout the '90's....?

Opportunism at it's best. Had it been an '89 LC2 (TTA) in the Fast and the Furious, I could only imagine what the current asking price would be, twelve years later, no less....

LOL..that movie was 6 years ago and Supra prices are still the same. The movie wasnt that great.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Ok. So then a LS1 F-bod or terminator would be running mid thirteens in stock trim in your neck of the woods. I think you missed my point. Also, a GT500 with FULL bolt-ons, and ET streets would run 10s anywhere except maybe Denver. Please do a little research before claiming to know about it.

Edit: Also note that FI cars lose less than a NA car at higher elevation.
Sadly they do.......

I was ready to go out and buy a Shelby up until the point i drove it and 500hp felt slow.....

i honestly think that 03-04 is faster than the new ones (around here anyways)

Supras aren't worth 35k because of what they can do stock, it is for what seems to be the almost limitless potential of that damn motor.....

I think the record for a factory short block is 1500whp, thats just absurd no matter who makes the motor......

Quick Reply: Supra Run In!