Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Supra Run In!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evojuiced
Sadly they do.......

I was ready to go out and buy a Shelby up until the point i drove it and 500hp felt slow.....

i honestly think that 03-04 is faster than the new ones (around here anyways)

Supras aren't worth 35k because of what they can do stock, it is for what seems to be the almost limitless potential of that damn motor.....

I think the record for a factory short block is 1500whp, thats just absurd no matter who makes the motor......

Everyone who has driven one seems to say that. Most enthusiasts suggest an 03/04 over the gt500. it's not comparable to the corvette.

why they didn't build it to compete with the vette, no idea.

the scary thing about supras is a lot of just insane times have been done on stock blocks, stock drivetrains, stock this, stock that. I've seen some rediculous ones on street racing videos and on the internet. and its scary. The kind of car you'd need to compete with somthing like that in the straights must be insane.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
No, before FNF/Nopie the Supra still had the same resale value. In truth, the value really never dropped much since 1993. They only produced 9K total MKIVs and the extremely high demand for them continues to keep prices so high.
Why do you think the Nippon Giant only produced 9000, to keep the value/resale/rarity high??!?
Yessir, they are in the business of making low volume "overbuilt" cars that they lose money on, from each sale?? Yup, that must be it, that goes right along with their "business model" for success.
Wow, all 9K of them just flew out the doors soooo quick, and being the geniuses they are, the decision was made to just stop production so that it would become a rare "supercar", right?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEARSM
They sold 9k units from 93.5 to 98. In 96 the price jumped up to 50K. Went back down to 45K in 97. I seriously doubt any dealership let a BRAND NEW SUPRA car go for under 30k....
Yet again from previous discussions with you, my point was well missed. You CANNOT account for every single Supra being sold, despite your attempt to justify it with the above, and despite the fact that you were on "Supra Forums" even before the Fast and the Furious came out. Like I said, the majority DID NOT CARE FOR IT, UNTIL THE FILM....!

Just because people like you never heard of the car before the movie doesnt mean EVERYONE did....
Now your starting to get a 'glimpse' of my point. Correct, NOT EVERYONE DID. NOR WOULD THEY, HAD THE FILM NOT GLORIFIED IT THE WAY THAT IT DID. That is the real reason why it's tag is still what it is, not because of such underground Supra Forums. Give me a break....

LOL..that movie was 6 years ago and Supra prices are still the same. The movie wasnt that great....
Didn't post it for it's greatness, posted it to embellish the "capabilities" of a bone stock Supra TT. It edged out an L98 Camaro, bravo. My stock ten speed, with the drummer from Slayer peddling, could have faired much better though....

Supras aren't worth 35k because of what they can do stock, it is for what seems to be the almost limitless potential of that damn motor....
I disagree. Any "blown" engine can run the numbers, that is, for those who know what they are doing. Have you ever seen a seriously blown LT5 on the dyno? Then make it's way down the track? I have....
Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95N20FORMULA
An rx-7 has kept its value if not raised it since its release in late 92, the 1.3Rotary Motors albeit unreliable, are insanely fast when built right and in my opinion Better Looking and Faster than a supra...
Absolutely agree on the "better looking" part!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Teching In

First of all, I wasnt talking about the movie you posted. I was talking about the FnF movie. It was 6 years ago, it has no bearing on Supra prices NOW.
If the stock performance isnt great then neither is the stock preformance of the LS1 engine cars because they are the same. Also, was the blown LT5 stock with all stock internals like it came from the factory?
Again, FnF did not make Supra prices GO UP. They have stayed the same all this time. The movie might have made the Supra known to a broader audience at the time but that was 6 yrs ago.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

I think the record for a factory short block is 1500whp, thats just absurd no matter who makes the motor......
Oh boy, here we go with the importfanboy "telephone game". By factory "short block" do you mean the stock block with aftermarket internals, or stock block & internals?? If the latter, I call , unless I had eyewitness proof myself. Next you'll be telling me it held this peak, ALL stock 200K mile bottom end, for over an hour on 92 octane pump gas, right?

Just because TOYota built it, does not mean it is "God's gift" to autodom and completely infallible/invincable. Although it's limits are fairly high, every mechanical thing has them, lets not get carried away with Nippon worship.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Oh boy, here we go with the importfanboy "telephone game". By factory "short block" do you mean the stock block with aftermarket internals, or stock block & internals?? If the latter, I call , unless I had eyewitness proof myself. Next you'll be telling me it held this peak, ALL stock 200K mile bottom end, for over an hour on 92 octane pump gas, right?

Just because TOYota built it, does not mean it is "God's gift" to autodom and completely infallible/invincable. Although it's limits are fairly high, every mechanical thing has them, lets not get carried away with Nippon worship.
Stock block record is currently 1001 rwhp. Stock long block with stock internals. It was done on race gas. Worship has nothing to do with it, just the facts.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Okay, that's not 1,500 rwhp.

By the way, ~1000 rwhp is possible not just with Toyota factory longblocks but MANY factory longblocks that are boosted from the factory, import AND domestic.

Many Cobra owners have gone over 900 rwhp with single or twin turbos on the completely untouched longblock, just a good fuel system.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bboyferal
^ Okay, that's not 1,500 rwhp.
Uh..I wasnt the one that said it was. Just correcting that misinformation.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

And I'm just using your post to emphasize... No big deal, we're both civilized, right?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

First of all, I wasnt talking about the movie you posted. I was talking about the FnF movie. It was 6 years ago, it has no bearing on Supra prices NOW....
Then I will extend an apology, I misunderstood...

If the stock performance isnt great then neither is the stock preformance of the LS1 engine cars because they are the same....
No arguement there.

Also, was the blown LT5 stock with all stock internals like it came from the factory?
Entirely stock. The owner was the original owner of a Blk/Blk '95, and wanted to go the turbo route. Incidently, they were able to squeeze a great deal more power out of the engine just from altering the stock tables...

Just wanted to make something clear who might misunderstand my argument. I'm not putting the Supra down. I know what they run, and am well aware of it's potential. But the same can be said about any car, when built right...

FYI, just wanted to touch on something, regarding another comparison between the ZR1 and Supra-TT. This time from Motor Trend;

Corvette ZR1;

Factory Net-HP Rating;

LT5 = 405 HP

MKIV = 320 HP

Motor Trend RWHP Rating (as tested);

LT5 = 395 @ 6000-RPM

MKIV = 320 @ 6000-RPM

Top Speed Performance

LT5 = 181-mph

MKIV = 159-mph

Acceleration 0-60

LT5 = 5.2 (gimme a break)

MKIV = 4.9

Acceleration 1/4

LT5 = 13.6 @ 106-mph (gimme a break)

MKIV = 13.4 @ 106.7

-Motor Trend August, '93

Now, as far as I'm concerned, that is a ridiculously flawed comparison. Obviously driver related, but despite that fact, it is here where the vehicle make pricing becomes established for the everday buyer. The Fast and the Furious just capitalized on the nonsense, in which continues up until today. Any engine can be built to run. Hell, the stock 60 degree V6 in my '92 came with FORGED internals....
Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Uh..I wasnt the one that said it was. Just correcting that misinformation.
OK, that's more like what I've heard. But THAT was the post (the misinformed, 1500rwhp one) I was replying to, and implying the "telephone game".
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

LT5 trapping only 106?

I guess I could beat one when my own car was stock!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly they do.......

I was ready to go out and buy a Shelby up until the point i drove it and 500hp felt slow.....

i honestly think that 03-04 is faster than the new ones (around here anyways)
Supras aren't worth 35k because of what they can do stock, it is for what seems to be the almost limitless potential of that damn motor.....

So on the East coast a GT500 is faster than an LS1 Fbod or 03/04 Terminator, but on the West coast the LS1s and Terminators are FASTER than the GT500.

Ok. Whatever. Ignorance = Bliss. Done here. Can't argue that kind of logic.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Now, as far as I'm concerned, that is a ridiculously flawed comparison. Obviously driver related, but despite that fact, it is here where the vehicle make pricing becomes established for the everday buyer. The Fast and the Furious just capitalized on the nonsense, in which continues up until today. Any engine can be built to run. Hell, the stock 60 degree V6 in my '92 came with FORGED internals....
Ahh..there is the CRUX of my argument. You say any engine can be BUILT that way. Of course that is true. The Supra is that way from the showroom floor. You dont have to build it. 100% stock block that can handle 900+rwhp without cracking the block open. Getrag 6 spd that has handled 1400+rwhp and speeds over 160 mph STOCK. Rear end that has handled 1.2 and 1.3 60 fts and over 1000 ft lbs of tq STOCK.

Its not perfect, not at all. But it has alot more things going for it stock than alot of cars out there.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Actually if you knew anything about engineering and racing you would know why most Japanese "super car" factory motors are so over engineered.

For Japanese Cars to race in the JGTC (Japanese Grand Touring Car Championship) the motor has to be Hemoligated and no Internal parts may be modified, that means the motor is setup to run at 500+rwhp for the length of the endurance race. same reason Honda looses money on each $100K NSX they sell. Do you really think a NSX motor need Ti rods (since '92) titanuim valves and other exotic components for street use? NO.... they need it to win races on the track.

It's not unheard of for company's to lose money on a car to get it into a specific racing series.....

BTW the 2jzgte motor was designed by Germans

Last edited by Juiced; 04-17-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
So on the East coast a GT500 is faster than an LS1 Fbod or 03/04 Terminator, but on the West coast the LS1s and Terminators are FASTER than the GT500.

Ok. Whatever. Ignorance = Bliss. Done here. Can't argue that kind of logic.
It's all about track prep and DA.... Never been to a track on the west coast with less than 2400DA, that has a huge effect on cars.....

And yes Terminators with the same mods are running faster times than the GT500's around here.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juiced
Actually if you knew anything about engineering and racing you would know why most Japanese "super car" factory motors are so over engineered.

For Japanese Cars to race in the JGTC (Japanese Grand Touring Car Championship) the motor has to be Hemoligated and no Internal parts may be modified, that means the motor is setup to run at 500+rwhp for the length of the endurance race. same reason Honda looses money on each $100K NSX they sell. Do you really think a NSX motor need Ti rods (since '92) titanuim valves and other exotic components for street use? NO.... they need it to win races on the track.

BTW the 2jzgte motor was designed by Germans
The Getrag 6 spd is German designed. The 2JZ is based of the 1JZ an engine used exclusively in JDM cars.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Ahh..there is the CRUX of my argument. You say any engine can be BUILT that way. Of course that is true. The Supra is that way from the showroom floor. You dont have to build it. 100% stock block that can handle 900+rwhp without cracking the block open. Getrag 6 spd that has handled 1400+rwhp and speeds over 160 mph STOCK. Rear end that has handled 1.2 and 1.3 60 fts and over 1000 ft lbs of tq STOCK.

Its not perfect, not at all. But it has alot more things going for it stock than alot of cars out there.
Yes, it definitely was "overbuilt", which ties in with my previous statements that Toyota lost money on every one (even when they were charging $50K for them). Yes, I also know (sadly enough) that they could well afford this, BUT they still do not like to lose cash, as a business model, EVEN on a "flagship".

But since you brought up "off the showroom floor", again I will ask, what Nippon nameplate car will run with even a stock C6, let alone a stock Z06 C6, completely, totally BONE freakin stock, NO mods, boost controllers, etc. right off of the "showroom floor"?? PRODUCTION CARS only, no one off Nippon "specials".

Last edited by dailydriver; 04-17-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Getrag 6 spd is German designed. The 2JZ is based of the 1JZ an engine used exclusively in JDM cars.
The motor was actually outsourced to German Company, I have it in one of Engine theory books, when i get home i'll scan it.

Quick Reply: Supra Run In!