Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

70s Chevelle SS vs. my Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70s Chevelle SS vs. my Camaro SS

So some clown in a riced out Eclipse pulls next to me and i just cracked past him in 1st gear. I had my two other friends in the car and we started laughing. Then in my mirror i see this car come flying up behind me and see the SS badge in the grill. We get to a stop light and i hear this thing gargling behind me and the whine of what distinctly sounded likea supercharger. So im driving down these random roads trying to find a straight to race on. I pull over and he waves to follow him and he takes us to this industrial park with a PERFECT 1/4 straight road with no cars on it.

So he pulls up next to me and my friend does the count down. After she says 1, bang we are off. Got a little spin off the line and gained control as did he. Through 1st and 2nd we were pretty much dead even actually i think i had a little lead on him my friend said. Then in 3rd he started pulling on me and 4th he got a little bit over a car.

Next we go from a roll at about 10mph he tells me to just punch it and he'll go when i go. Well i guess the exhaust popped or something and he thought i floored it so he got the jump actually. But again it was similar to the previous race but through 3rd and 4th he pulled about 2-3 cars on me. It was pretty nuts and then he led me back to the original road we started on which was nice. I was talking to him and he was telling me he didnt have a supercharger that it was something for his timing belt or something? I dont remember.

But we got around to talking about track racing and he managed a 12 flat at Atco with the chevelle. He asked what i ran and i told him a 13.5 at Etown cause i didnt launch it good at all with a 2.4 60 foot. I think I should be able to get a 12.9 out of her though when i go back in 2 weeks. Another kid i met at the track was running 12.8s with the exact same mods, street tires, and clutch. So anyways i thought it was a great run in and was impressed that i kept up with a car of that power.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

NIce death man. Just sounds like you need to get a good tire.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

yea I wanna keep my 10 bolt though hahahaha. Im just gonna launch it harder at the track when I go rather then bog each run.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

He swapped out his timing chain for a gear drive.
Used to be the thing to do way back in the day.
It sound's exactly like a supercharger.
The engine was probably a modded 396, or bigger.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both sound like awesome cars and glad to see you take defeat gracefully. Time to go F/I!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Death!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice death..my boss had a gear drive in his chevelle sounded badass
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

yaa it sounded totally ridiculous and was a great run.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Sweet, dude! It's cool to run into the occasional vintage muscle car that will actually RUN on the street. I see tons of em up here on the country roads, but they're driven by weekend warrior types who probably don't even know much about the car. Also, in my personal experience, a lot of older guys with vintage muscle cars don't know jack **** about or respect newer V8 muscle cars. I've shown my car to older guys who are like "what's an LS1?" They seem to think that after '72 there wasn't any muscle cars worth a damn
Old 05-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Launching!

+1.....true on the older guys kinda shruggin off anything new.(ls1 for instance)back then these motors probably would have been rated 390-400hp.Right on par with the BBs of the past.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

nice death, it is always fun to run against some old school muscle. My favorite races when I had my 99 T/A were against my dad's 70 chevelle SS 454... they were always real close..Now after the new tranny and gears in the chevelle, and misc. stuff we did, and of course my now slower car that I own, I think I am toast..haha
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dannyz
He swapped out his timing chain for a gear drive.
Used to be the thing to do way back in the day.
It sound's exactly like a supercharger.
The engine was probably a modded 396, or bigger.
ahhh, thanks for the info. just raced a 71 chevelle a few nights ago, i'd get him from a roll but from a dig i'd play catchup, he always shut down just as i was coming up on him. i guess his was a 383 stroker he said. great sounding car

rob

here's a quick vid of the 1st race...chevelle spun bad and couldn't catch

http://media.putfile.com/regal-gs-vs-71-chevelle-ss-383

Last edited by Vandy16; 05-15-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 70s Chevelle SS vs. my Camaro SS