Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by a Evo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
that's because that's all an evo is good for - ET's. they are AWD. they can launch. yea, their ET's are good, but their trap speed is complete ***. get them from a 10 mph roll and suddenly they can't do ****. they're not fast cars. they're cars that can be made fast (like any others) that are good for ET's and handle decent - and look hideous the whole way down the track.

i'd rather run a 13.6 and look good with the t-tops off than run a 13.4 and look like a shopping cart going down the highway sounding like a pissed off weed whacker the whole time.
Thats funny. Most of the domestic guys I hang with at the track are the opposite. They dont really care about looks, they are looking for the performance. The track is not a car show and looks are totally subjective. I thought most people on this site thought roll racing was gay but I guess that changes when the car has awd.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fatboyq
is it true they are 12 second cars from the factory and can be 11 second cars with only 1k in mods?
No. They don't run 11's with 1K in mods. More like 2-3K in mods.

Evos are the most overrated cars on the road.

A 6 speed LS1 will rape any stock Evo from a roll. From a dig its closer because the Evo can launch with AWD. They aren't actually that fast.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FEARSM
Thats funny. Most of the domestic guys I hang with at the track are the opposite. They dont really care about looks, the are looking for the performance. The track is not a car show and looks are totally subjective. I thought most people on this site thought roll racing was gay but I guess that changes when the car has awd.
roll racing isn't as respectable as racing from a dig, that is definitely true. however, if your car has decent ET's but a terrible trap speed, that says your car's top end stinks and you're all launch. my car's the opposite. i don't have a great launch thanks to my 2.73 gear ratio, but my trap speed is very good compared to my ET. personally, i'd rather have the top end, but ET's aren't all there is to it. ET's don't have the violent powerband of a V8. that's what we live for - the feeling of getting thrown back in our seat. that's more important than any ET. what's the point of running a good ET if your car doesn't feel as fast as it is?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

no domestic owner will ever respect a car that sounds like a lawnmower. wait, i take that back. my 5 horsepower craftsman is WAY deeper than any evo i've ever heard and sounds a lot better. pair that with the fact that ANY motor can make power when it has a turbo and evo's are ugly as sin - and when i say ugly, i mean that's one hideous looking shopping cart - they simply won't get respect from true racers. and i don't care how fast your evo is. you can make anything fast. that's not the point. the point is that it still looks terrible, sounds terrible and has no ***** on its own. it's a tuner car. it's not powerful. it's simply set up well from the factory. it has no muscle.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

No matter how quick you make an Evo, its still a little riced out econobox that sounds like a weedeater. Plus its a Mitsubishi, which means its a hunk of **** to begin with, both quality and reliability wise.

I like to go fast in a respectable car. One that looks great, sounds great, and has a real motor.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Teching In

plus which one will have respect in 30 years. case rested
Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Evo's run pretty good, I raced my buddy in his 06 MR w/ catback, intake, and a tune from a dig on the street when I was stock and got him on the big end. Uploading vid now for all the bs'rs.
All he did since was a test pipe, manual BC and I have done O/R mids, catback, and a diablosport and he gets me bad from a dig. He even edges me out from a roll!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Lol...look who's back! Not even worth responding to.

As for MACHXLR8's comments.

Nobody ever said running a 13.0 was easy, I said that they trap 104-106 consistantly, which you supported. Also I could care less what anyone thinks about how my car looks, I like it and thats all that should matter to anyone who has a car.

Actually to anyone trying to use how they feel about a cars looks to justify what they say is retarded. Especially to say that a fast car would never be respected by "real" racers because in their opinion its ugly It doesnt matter how good you "think" your car looks, because its really small in a rearview mirror
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
Lol...look who's back! Not even worth responding to.
:
Directed at me?
I hope not cause I actually love Evo's...
Oh yea and:
Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by NIevo
Actually to anyone trying to use how they feel about a cars looks to justify what they say is retarded.
fine, then we'll talk about sound or power. an evo will never sound good. period. it will never sound better than a V8. when you go WOT passed people on the freeway, they look at you with their nose turned up like "what is wrong with this guy?" when i go WOT past people on the freeway, they look and go "niiiceeee." my car doesn't sound particularly great, but it will never, ever, EVER sound bad, no matter what i do with it. also, an evo's powerband simply isn't a throw-you-back-in-your-seat, break the tires loose at 70 mph violent. not that mine is or anything, but it pulls from 2k to 6k, something you can't say about any japanese car.

it's not all about raw speed. i saw a guy with nitrous on a segway. no kidding, a segway. he raced a cammed trans am with nitrous. he whooped the trans am's ***, even when the T/A was on spray. but c'mon, it's still a scooter.

glad you like your car and all, really, i am, that's what counts. but if you're looking for RESPECT from the old school, muscle car, domestic crowd, you will NEVER get it from an evo. EVER. i don't care if it runs 7's. i'm 20 years old and i supervise construction workers on job sites. without fail, they all ask me questions about my car. i don't bring it up. they come to me. i see them staring at me, planning to make their move to come up to me and ask me stuff. it's funny. "is it a V8? is it fast? how many miles?" and they ALL know what an LS1 is. every single one of them. even the ones that have no ******* clue what they're talking about know what an LS1 is. i had a guy tell me the best thing to do to my car is to "use SLP everything." i laughed inside, but to his credit, he knew all about the LS1. that is respect you can't buy. no one knows what an evo motor is. what is it? a KDW400ZK4? i mean, really. yes, evo's are quick and can be made very fast very cheap, but if respect is what you're after, it's a poor choice.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Directed at me?
I hope not cause I actually love Evo's...
No, sorry I was referring to the reincarnation of TRANSAMINAL, now known as ONEBADASSWS6
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

+ evo = ugly ( looks like a martian spacecraft)
Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1997T/AWS6
+ evo = ugly ( looks like a martian spacecraft)
don't you know? the ones with neon underglow are responsible for 10% of all UFO sightings.

lol @ GTO JIMMY's video. i love the way the evo falls flat on its face like clockwork right after the 60' mark sweet goat btw.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I respect anything that can kick my ***!!
5.7L vs 2.something you have to give credit where credit is due. I love V8s but these damn turbo imports are no joke. Especially is they bring back the supra and the skyline here.

On a sidenote it's good to know GM still keeps making the LS based motors more powerful, the new 08 vettes will be 436hp stock.

l look at it this way

06 Evo = 24-27k 2k mods= 11 sec DD not so reliable
02 Z06= 26-29k 405hp stock exhaust, tune, cam = 11 sec reliable DD

98-00 LS1 F body =8-12k 12 sec reliable DD with bolt ons only

well I know what I need now I just have to save up for lid, exhaust, tire
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

roll racing isn't as respectable as racing from a dig, that is definitely true. however, if your car has decent ET's but a terrible trap speed, that says your car's top end stinks and you're all launch. my car's the opposite. i don't have a great launch thanks to my 2.73 gear ratio, but my trap speed is very good compared to my ET. personally, i'd rather have the top end, but ET's aren't all there is to it. ET's don't have the violent powerband of a V8. that's what we live for - the feeling of getting thrown back in our seat. that's more important than any ET. what's the point of running a good ET if your car doesn't feel as fast as it is?
UH...cause ET wins races? Isnt that the mantra at the track? Especially when cars like Supras run slow ET's but HUGE mph? Definitely a double standard going on.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Teching In

fine, then we'll talk about sound or power. an evo will never sound good. period. it will never sound better than a V8. when you go WOT passed people on the freeway, they look at you with their nose turned up like "what is wrong with this guy?" when i go WOT past people on the freeway, they look and go "niiiceeee." my car doesn't sound particularly great, but it will never, ever, EVER sound bad, no matter what i do with it.
That would really depend who your around, if I saw a 119mph evo or f-body fly by on the freeway I'd say "niiiceeee" on the other hand if I saw a say a 105mph evo or f-body I'd be like "what is wrong with this guy?" lol
also, an evo's powerband simply isn't a throw-you-back-in-your-seat, break the tires loose at 70 mph violent. not that mine is or anything, but it pulls from 2k to 6k, something you can't say about any japanese car.
the evo's powerband is a throw-you-back-in-your-seat as are most turbo cars. And I'm guessing you've never seen a dyno of a modded stock turbo evo before, & not 2k-6k but more 3k-7k very nice powerband for the fact its only a 2.0L
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

that's because that's all an evo is good for - ET's. they are AWD. they can launch. yea, their ET's are good, but their trap speed is complete ***. get them from a 10 mph roll and suddenly they can't do ****. they're not fast cars. they're cars that can be made fast (like any others) that are good for ET's and handle decent - and look hideous the whole way down the track.

i'd rather run a 13.6 and look good with the t-tops off than run a 13.4 and look like a shopping cart going down the highway sounding like a pissed off weed whacker the whole time.
The older evos that first came here ran 13.1 in the hands of a GOOD driver you know.

And wtf, why am i the only one who thinks it looks good? Ive seen evos from 05 run 11.2 on stock turbo with race gas. not to bad really.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by FEARSM
UH...cause ET wins races? Isnt that the mantra at the track? Especially when cars like Supras run slow ET's but HUGE mph? Definitely a double standard going on.
1.) an evo is NOT a supra. they don't even compare. not even CLOSE. an evo couldn't shine a supra's shoes.

2.) most races do not happen at the track

3.) ET's do NOT win races on the street. mph is more likely to win races on the street, as most street races result in poor launches due to lack of traction (no prepped surfaces) and the majority of races are from a roll.

there is no double-standard going on. the only standard is that muscle car/domestic guys in general will NEVER respect an evo.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, "DOUBLE STANDARD " on this board NO!! I dont know who some of you guys hang out with, but some of the guys that I know that own muscle cars give all fast cars respect import or not. Same goes for me, if its fast I respect it. I dont have to try and trash talk it to build up my ego. I need to try to find the video's of my buddies Evo 9 with TBE and 21psi, 1/4 mile he can hold off our Z06 pretty good. Granted yes its is the awd, but once we get going its not like were reeling him in that hard, not until 100+. Lastly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, believe it or not but there are people that think Camaro's and Firebirds are ugly. Im not trying to start a flame war, just my .02cents
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

fine, then we'll talk about sound or power. an evo will never sound good. period. it will never sound better than a V8. when you go WOT passed people on the freeway, they look at you with their nose turned up like "what is wrong with this guy?" when i go WOT past people on the freeway, they look and go "niiiceeee." my car doesn't sound particularly great, but it will never, ever, EVER sound bad, no matter what i do with it. also, an evo's powerband simply isn't a throw-you-back-in-your-seat, break the tires loose at 70 mph violent. not that mine is or anything, but it pulls from 2k to 6k, something you can't say about any japanese car.
Well the problem is a cars sound is also subjective to someones own opinion. While I agree that most 4cyl such as Honda's sound horrible, my car sounds nothing like that.

As for the powerband it depends on how its set-up. Im running a stock turbo so I hit full boost at 3500rpm's or so. With a 8000rpm redline that give me a 4500rpm powerband. Also putting down around 400lb-ft torque, trust me, it throw's you back
glad you like your car and all, really, i am, that's what counts. but if you're looking for RESPECT from the old school, muscle car, domestic crowd, you will NEVER get it from an evo. EVER. i don't care if it runs 7's. i'm 20 years old and i supervise construction workers on job sites. without fail, they all ask me questions about my car. i don't bring it up. they come to me. i see them staring at me, planning to make their move to come up to me and ask me stuff. it's funny. "is it a V8? is it fast? how many miles?" and they ALL know what an LS1 is. every single one of them. even the ones that have no ******* clue what they're talking about know what an LS1 is. that is respect you can't buy. no one knows what an evo motor is. what is it? a KDW400ZK4? i mean, really. yes, evo's are quick and can be made very fast very cheap, but if respect is what you're after, it's a poor choice.
Like I said, I could care less if I got respect or not, but I do get it. Not sure if its the area your in or what but you wouldnt believe the respect I get from hardcore racers and musclecar guys. There are always people that are close minded and say that nothings as good as a V8 but their not really any better then the kids who have a 18sec Honda thats thinks their fast too.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Turbo2.4Liter
That would really depend who your around, if I saw a 119mph evo or f-body fly by on the freeway I'd say "niiiceeee" on the other hand if I saw a say a 105mph evo or f-body I'd be like "what is wrong with this guy?" lol
if i saw a 119 mph evo fly by me in the freeway, i'd say "listen to that piece of ****. i hate stupid teenagers." no doubt it'll be some punkass kid with japanese symbols on his tight little t-shirt driving it.

Originally Posted by Turbo2.4Liter
the evo's powerband is a throw-you-back-in-your-seat as are most turbo cars. And I'm guessing you've never seen a dyno of a modded stock turbo evo before, & not 2k-6k but more 3k-7k very nice powerband for the fact its only a 2.0L
dyno graphs throw me back in my seat all the time. what does a dyno graph have to do with how the car feels? AWD cars suck at transferring power. if you mash the gas driving at 20 mph, unless your car is modded out the ***, it's not throwing me back too hard.

Quick Reply: Killed by a Evo