Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by a Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
The older evos that first came here ran 13.1 in the hands of a GOOD driver you know.

And wtf, why am i the only one who thinks it looks good? Ive seen evos from 05 run 11.2 on stock turbo with race gas. not to bad really.
you're the only one who thinks good because most people think they're ugly as sin. why do you think they're a generally unpopular car? you don't see too many on the road for a reason.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, forgot. Some of these guys talk about Evo's like they have driven them. Drive a slightly modded Evo and tell me it doesnt impress you. My buddy has a pretty nice Mach1 and I let him drive my 03 Evo he couldnt believe how hard it pulled. The first thing he said was "man it puts you back in your seat" um, thats what turbo's do. I have several friends that have conssidered buying Evo's after driving one, even when they hated them before driving one.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by NIevo
Well the problem is a cars sound is also subjective to someones own opinion. While I agree that most 4cyl such as Honda's sound horrible, my car sounds nothing like that.
sound is not subjective in this case. i guarantee you over 90% of the people out there will say my car sounds better than any evo. if 3 guys out of 50 say the evo sounds better than my car, that does not make the sound subjective. that means they have poor taste in what an automobile should sound like.

As for the powerband it depends on how its set-up. Im running a stock turbo so I hit full boost at 3500rpm's or so. With a 8000rpm redline that give me a 4500rpm powerband. Also putting down around 400lb-ft torque, trust me, it throw's you back
i don't like having to rev to 5,000 rpms to hit a decent amount of power. i like being way ahead of all traffic revving to 2500 rpms.

Like I said, I could care less if I got respect or not, but I do get it. Not sure if its the area your in or what but you wouldnt believe the respect I get from hardcore racers and musclecar guys. There are always people that are close minded and say that nothings as good as a V8 but their not really any better then the kids who have a 18sec Honda thats thinks their fast too.
i'm not trying to be a total dick here. this is just a question of "respect." many people will respect the speed of your car. if a muscle car enthusiast sees you run a 10.5 at the track, he's not going to say "that car's slow." he will admit it's fast regardless because he respects your speed. however, don't expect him to respect the car. most everyone on here respects speed, but if you drive an evo, your car itself is automatically looked down upon. it's just the way it is.

want respect in an evo? swap an LS1 into it. honestly, then you'll get a TON of respect from muscle car guys.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're the only one who thinks good because most people think they're ugly as sin. why do you think they're a generally unpopular car? you don't see too many on the road for a reason.
Are you serious? When I go out on the weekend I see maybe 4-5 Evos in one night if not more.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Are you serious? When I go out on the weekend I see maybe 4-5 Evos in one night if not more.
i don't see a single one in south jersey. well, of course they're around, but it's very rare. you must live around a lot of teens or in an area with a heavy "Fast and the Furious" fan population. there aren't many ricers out my way, thank god. do you live in LA or something?

again, evo's aren't a very popular car. compare it to an f-body, mustang, charger...they just don't sell by comparison.

The first thing he said was "man it puts you back in your seat" um, thats what turbo's do. I
turbo lag :yawn: yea, it's not that bad on an evo, but i'll always take the N/A throttle response and low end over a turboed car. a supercharger...well, that's different. i'm just telling you what i like and don't like. turboed I-4's don't impress me.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Well who knows that may be the case, but I definitely see a lot of Evo's and STi's on the weekends. Of course we have a lot of domestics out too but its not like there arent any Evo's around
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

i don't like having to rev to 5,000 rpms to hit a decent amount of power. i like being way ahead of all traffic revving to 2500 rpms.
I said 3500, not 5,000, and thats full boost. Trust me, Im making plenty below that to get around any traffic. Also it depends on your gearing where you are normally cruising at. Evo's have 4.59 gears in them. That means Im cruising at 3k+ on the Interstate at 70mph.

i'm not trying to be a total dick here. this is just a question of "respect." many people will respect the speed of your car. if a muscle car enthusiast sees you run a 10.5 at the track, he's not going to say "that car's slow." he will admit it's fast regardless because he respects your speed. however, don't expect him to respect the car. most everyone on here respects speed, but if you drive an evo, your car itself is automatically looked down upon. it's just the way it is.

want respect in an evo? swap an LS1 into it. honestly, then you'll get a TON of respect from muscle car guys.
Lol...I really want to know where you live because all I can picture is a bunch or rednecks chewing straw wearing overalls. I know of very few people who actually feel that way, and most of them are on here.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

dyno graphs throw me back in my seat all the time. what does a dyno graph have to do with how the car feels? AWD cars suck at transferring power. if you mash the gas driving at 20 mph, unless your car is modded out the ***, it's not throwing me back too hard.
I guessing you didn't see the period there, the point in saying something about the dyno graph was you having seeing its powerband. a 105mph evo will throw you back more at 20mph than a 105mph 2.73 auto f-body will lol. 20mph being in its 1st gear right in its powerband with its superior gearing to an f-body (more geared trans and 4.58 final).

But its useless to say anything to you because in you mind you right about everything and know everything of all cars lol. btw just wondering have you ever even been in a evo?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

again, evo's aren't a very popular car. compare it to an f-body, mustang, charger...they just don't sell by comparison.
Lol, they dont sell in comparison...why was it they stopped making the Camaro/Firebird? Haha just messin around but dont sit there and act like f-bods sold well, what was it they were outnumbered 2-1 by the Mustang. Im not knocking them I like them almost bought an SS before I bought my Cobra and might pick up the new Camaro, but thats a bad comparison. And no I dont live in LA, what you think there arent any muscle cars in LA?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Also the reason you dont see as many Evo's is because they didnt import that many. Also, when was the last time you saw a Evo commercial? Mitsubishi sucks at marketing.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Well Im out for the night, you guys play nice without me
Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Lol, we will
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

fine, then we'll talk about sound or power. an evo will never sound good. period. it will never sound better than a V8. when you go WOT passed people on the freeway, they look at you with their nose turned up like "what is wrong with this guy?" when i go WOT past people on the freeway, they look and go "niiiceeee." my car doesn't sound particularly great, but it will never, ever, EVER sound bad, no matter what i do with it. also, an evo's powerband simply isn't a throw-you-back-in-your-seat, break the tires loose at 70 mph violent. not that mine is or anything, but it pulls from 2k to 6k, something you can't say about any japanese car.

it's not all about raw speed. i saw a guy with nitrous on a segway. no kidding, a segway. he raced a cammed trans am with nitrous. he whooped the trans am's ***, even when the T/A was on spray. but c'mon, it's still a scooter.

glad you like your car and all, really, i am, that's what counts. but if you're looking for RESPECT from the old school, muscle car, domestic crowd, you will NEVER get it from an evo. EVER. i don't care if it runs 7's. i'm 20 years old and i supervise construction workers on job sites. without fail, they all ask me questions about my car. i don't bring it up. they come to me. i see them staring at me, planning to make their move to come up to me and ask me stuff. it's funny. "is it a V8? is it fast? how many miles?" and they ALL know what an LS1 is. every single one of them. even the ones that have no ******* clue what they're talking about know what an LS1 is. i had a guy tell me the best thing to do to my car is to "use SLP everything." i laughed inside, but to his credit, he knew all about the LS1. that is respect you can't buy. no one knows what an evo motor is. what is it? a KDW400ZK4? i mean, really. yes, evo's are quick and can be made very fast very cheap, but if respect is what you're after, it's a poor choice.
do you have any idea how ignorant you sound?? your not a true car guy, a true car guy can respect, and praise any car that is fast regardless of how it looks, or sounds. your probably just some redneck who has never even driven an evo.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

blah blah blah, i don't care if it runs 7's. i'm 20 years old and i supervise construction workers on job sites. without fail, they all ask me questions about my car. i don't bring it up. they come to me. yada yada yada
that's good you already have that attitude. Because my 2liter sedan will whoop your LS1 anyday. And it is still reliable with great mpg and plenty of room. And something about you being 20yo and an "old school domestic muscle car guy" sounds kinda off, but maybe its just me.

about that all imports sound like ricer crap thing: Ever heard a boxer engine with unequal length headers and boost? Thought not. Its a sound that gets questions from people of all walks of life with all types of vehicles, including full drag Busas and dedicated race cars. So don't bring your little opinions and insignificant experiences to the table like you're holding a Nobel Peace Prize in automotive advancements.

its all in good fun. don't get mad because I can use logic
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
***Repost Police***

Lol, they dont sell in comparison...why was it they stopped making the Camaro/Firebird? Haha just messin around but dont sit there and act like f-bods sold well, what was it they were outnumbered 2-1 by the Mustang. Im not knocking them I like them almost bought an SS before I bought my Cobra and might pick up the new Camaro, but thats a bad comparison. And no I dont live in LA, what you think there arent any muscle cars in LA?
I think it was 4-1 in the late 90s/early 2000s. But yeah, Choco is definitely not a good candidate for an ambassador of this site . And btw, I personally think EVO's look pretty cool... my buddy used to have a cammed '03, and even with "only" 330whp it was a quick sumbish.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Banned

I have driven both low 12 second camaro's and low 12 second Evo's and the Evo definately has more of a seat of the pants effect.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys man up..who put sand in choco's vag?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive owned 4 4th gens fbods and generally been a domestic fan, before the 4th's i liked the 5.0's...I cant stand the riced integra's/civics/or whatever isnt meant to be made fast that ricers try to make anyway....but the evo is a badass car, that I happen to think looks real good...Supra's,wrx's,evo's all get my respect.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned

Dude Evo's are a joke from a roll! Just watch this video they fall right on their faces! How gay!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Turbo2.4Liter
That would really depend who your around, if I saw a 119mph evo or f-body fly by on the freeway I'd say "niiiceeee" on the other hand if I saw a say a 105mph evo or f-body I'd be like "what is wrong with this guy?" lol

the evo's powerband is a throw-you-back-in-your-seat as are most turbo cars. And I'm guessing you've never seen a dyno of a modded stock turbo evo before, & not 2k-6k but more 3k-7k very nice powerband for the fact its only a 2.0L
I haven't really seen too many dynos of turbo evos. However, I have seen some dynos of turbo LS1/LS6's and they are sick. I've never rode in an LS1 while pushing 20 psi from a turbo, but I would imagine it would be brutal compared to an evo pushing the same. I run 7 psi from a procharger, and I don't see any way I would loose to an evo, even with the boost over stock. At least, not from one with just a grand thrown at it.

BTW, what does "modded stock" mean? Is that different than regular ole' modded?

Quick Reply: Killed by a Evo