Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

saturn ion killed a vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redlinestage3
shows what you know running a 2.8 in pulley boys s/c pulleynot 2.85 ill put my dyno sheet on as soon as i get home,,, lmao then youll be eating your own words.. SS mmmm.wanna race havent lost to a colbalt yet lol ...
tuned by rmstexas gm stage 3 s/c ported throttle body CAI exhaust and thats about it... and btw shows what you know again stage 2 is 3.10 in s/c pulley too ,dumb people make me laugh bro dont question me about saturns or my car im a mechanic at saturn of arlington...

Go away Moron.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mean to **** you off, but just saying "im a mechanic at saturn of arlington" doesn't make you a qualified expert on everything. Also, if this was a C5, which you claim, how did it only put 282 rwhp? I'm not trying to start anything, because I'll admit I don't know jack about Saturns or the Ecotec. I'm just saying that being a Saturn mechanic doesn't automatically give credence to your story. Post up some numbers, maybe a dyno sheet, give us a better idea of what you're running, maybe use some punctuation or proper grammar. (Bad grammar is a pet peeve of mine.)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
i dont remember too much, but i know they have oil squirters aimed at the undersides of the pistons
Thats pretty common for decades now. Helps a cast piston handle the application. And cast pistons are a lot easier to get long service life from cost-effectively than forged pistons.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

A lot of money could be made off the ignorance in this thread..........

Nice kill! I'd like to have one of the Sky Redlines. I saw a stock one hit 235 whp on a dyno and it was completely stock. I'd still be tempted to do the LSx swap on it though.....
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yayz! I's stoopid!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

I couldn't stop myself.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

My sister has a Cobalt SS/SC It's got a stage 2 super charger and exhaust. It's got some ***** but I seriously doubt it could take a vette. Unless it's one of those crappy ones from the 80's or whenever it was they had no power. It might give my car a little bit of a run cuz I'm a 98' Trans Am A4 with and exhaust and Ram Air hood. Nuttin else. I personally think the Cobalt is the better of the two but idk it sure as hell looks way better to me.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

im a mechanic at saturn of arlington...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

good kill for the ion on the vette. Trust me these little cars really wake up with smaller pullies. Right now I have a CA stage five kit and methanol injection on my cobalt. This thing really pulls now. My friend with an m6 98 t/a won't race me because he knows that he'll lose. That's not saying much because he's bone stock but for a daily driver that gets 27mpg city and 36 highway it's pretty impressive.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

I am not one of those stuck up vette owners who thinks they cant be beat. I had a 00 trans am for a few yrs until it was totaled. I just cannot see a saturn making that much HP n/a. My lil sister has one and it's not the race type car at all.
Are the new ones turboed? my sisters is an 06
Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jonintheredcamaro
I couldn't stop myself.

Neither could I.

Seriously though, I agree with what you said. A decently bolt-on modded Vette putting down 282? On a Mustang maybe. Maybe.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Will2
I am not one of those stuck up vette owners who thinks they cant be beat. I had a 00 trans am for a few yrs until it was totaled. I just cannot see a saturn making that much HP n/a. My lil sister has one and it's not the race type car at all.
Are the new ones turboed? my sisters is an 06
They are supercharged.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shows what you know running a 2.8 in pulley boys s/c pulleynot 2.85 ill put my dyno sheet on as soon as i get home,,, lmao then youll be eating your own words.. SS mmmm.wanna race havent lost to a colbalt yet lol ...
tuned by rmstexas gm stage 3 s/c ported throttle body CAI exhaust and thats about it... and btw shows what you know again stage 2 is 3.10 in s/c pulley too ,dumb people make me laugh bro dont question me about saturns or my car im a mechanic at saturn of arlington...

dumb **** if you are running stage 3 its a 2.99 pulley stage 2 is a 3.06 pulley. A ported tb won't do **** for our cars cept mess up your tune.If you are running a 2.8 pulley you are retarded your car is starving for fuel enjoy a blown motor. As far as my mods you would not come close, come back when you trap 85 or more in the 1/8th... o wait that was with a slipping clutch haven't gone since probably better traps in it then that.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Neither could I.

Seriously though, I agree with what you said. A decently bolt-on modded Vette putting down 282? On a Mustang maybe. Maybe.
I hadn't noticed that it was modified. Yeah, 282 with headers!? 282 is weak for a stock car, but not totally unbelievable(though it'd have to be in pretty bad tune). Still the saturn car is definitely quick for what it is.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil8616
You all remember that video floating around that had the old 95ish gold 4door Saturn that was beating that SS and other cars....never found out what was done to it or if the video was real. Maybe someone can bring it back from the dead.

Yeah, That was a guy named Ion, who was won of the starters of turbocharging the first generation s series saturns. He took a sl2 and figured out a relatively simple and safe way to rig up a turbo. So far the fastest car in the club has like a high 11 second 1/4 mile. A lot of other guys have low 14's and and low 13's, but can't get very good 1/4 mile times because they are so light and geared too closely... when they have that much power, there is no grip. The cars only weigh about 2200 to 2500 pounds, so even with 160 horse, they'll keep up with lt1's.

I used to have a saturn and actually managed to get a 15.6 out of it with an intake and exhaust. I was whooping vtec honda's all the time at lights. They would be like "what the f***, your saturn is hella quick." The cars are just so ugly that no one wants to modify them, but they react very well to mods. Guys were getting high 13's 1/4 with 115mph traps an street tires. Hell, I kept up with almost any sports car until the end of my second gear, which was 50.lol first went to 25mph. The close gearing is what gave it the illusion of being fast. If the saturn was geared like the camaro ss it raced in the video, it wouldn't have taken off as quick as it did. But saturns are true sleepers in every sense, but the ion redlines are slow as hell stock, they are way overrated.

Here's a vid...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...b500e8457a.htm

I'm not gonna lie guys, my 95 SL2 was way more fun to drive than my trans am, but I will make the trans am fun to drive soon!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
I used to have a saturn and actually managed to get a 15.6 out of it with an intake and exhaust. I was whooping vtec honda's all the time at lights.
I guess it depends on which Hondas you are racing, cuz you most certainly wouldn't have beaten mine running a 15.6
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh. we found the problem with the vette today, it has clogged cats and possibly a slipping trans.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well there is the answer hahaha...
Old 05-15-2007, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I guess it depends on which Hondas you are racing, cuz you most certainly wouldn't have beaten mine running a 15.6
Yeah, there are some fast vtec hondas...I know that. There are a lot more vtec honda's running around getting fast times than any saturn, I know that, but some aren't anything at all. Kids get those ex civic models with the sohc vtec and suddenly thought they were in a sports car, so me and my buddies would go hondahunting and humiliate all the "hooked up hondas" It was very fun because no one wants to get their cool car get beat by a four door beater saturn. My friends all still wish I had the saturn. They say it was more fun. The saturn even beat the civic si's, you know the little minivan civic si's. It's just funny because of the attitude that is associated with an old s series saturn.

Quick Reply: saturn ion killed a vette