Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My z28 got beaten by a Gs-t :'(

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10secclub
not trying to be mean but there is no way someone can run 20 psi on 91 with out detonating out the *** on a 16g unless using some form of water methanol injection because i have a big 16g on my dd
Its called tuning and a good IC. That does not mean a home fab UICP and an SAFC. Many people DD at 20PSI. Its not even hard. Now on a 1G the stock timing curve is way too aggressive. So retarding base timing back to 0 or instead of 5 degrees BTDC helps a lot. Better yet, get a means to adjust the stock timing curve itself. I run DSMLink for that. Shoot for about 18 degrees total advance at about 7000 and pull a bit around 5K with no sudden jumps in advance and those problems tend to go away.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 PM
***Repost Police***

not trying to be mean but there is no way someone can run 20 psi on 91 with out detonating out the *** on a 16g unless using some form of water methanol injection because i have a big 16g on my dd
Doesn't the EVO VIII use a 16G? Cuz they run 19.5psi stock...
Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Thats sort of a misnomer. It is technically a 16G even today. But its got a totally different turbine housing thats worlds better than what DSMs got. The matirials are better and I'm pretty sure the compressor and turbine wheels are different too. Similar design, probably similar efficiencies at various pressure ratios, but the new units flow a lot more.

Having said that, those turbos on a higher compression Evo will run at 19PSI on 91 no problem. It has a lot to do with a much more sensible timing curve and better intercooling than anything else. Try running 20PSI from a Big 16G or Evo3 16G on a stock timing map stock IC 1G and it will detonate really bad. Put in a decent IC (I run a stock IC from a MKIV Supra, awesome little unit actually) and pull some of the timing and your in business. IIRC stock 1G timing maps try for like 24 degrees of advance at about 7K RPM. Way too aggressive. Only reason they could do that was the low 7.8:1 compression. 2Gs run at 8.5:1 and so they got a much smarter and smoother map.

I dont want to hijack this though. If anyone wants more info just PM me.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Thats sort of a misnomer. It is technically a 16G even today. But its got a totally different turbine housing thats worlds better than what DSMs got. The matirials are better and I'm pretty sure the compressor and turbine wheels are different too. Similar design, probably similar efficiencies at various pressure ratios, but the new units flow a lot more.

Having said that, those turbos on a higher compression Evo will run at 19PSI on 91 no problem. It has a lot to do with a much more sensible timing curve and better intercooling than anything else. Try running 20PSI from a Big 16G or Evo3 16G on a stock timing map stock IC 1G and it will detonate really bad. Put in a decent IC (I run a stock IC from a MKIV Supra, awesome little unit actually) and pull some of the timing and your in business. IIRC stock 1G timing maps try for like 24 degrees of advance at about 7K RPM. Way too aggressive. Only reason they could do that was the low 7.8:1 compression. 2Gs run at 8.5:1 and so they got a much smarter and smoother map.

I dont want to hijack this though. If anyone wants more info just PM me.
Good stuff, my BR500 just ate it(something metal got in and tore up the fins), so I will be going back to the evoIII 16g, and I don't want to lose the progress I had made with the br500.

Last edited by BoOsTeDeAgLe; 05-27-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

I feel special to have done what you say is impossible.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Teching In

That's about right.

My friends 2g FWD about 3-4 years ago dynoed 280whp, not sure what type of dyno and he ran a best of 12.5 @ 110mph on drag radials at that power level. That was on a big 16G too.

Also, the FWD's have exceptionally good gearing for running on the highway. They can do 120mph in third gear on a 5 spd. Also, FWDs are more or so in the 2,800lb range. So you have an easy 500-600lb weight handicap while he's making just slightly less power than you are. You just need to add mods.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

start with the driver mod and race again
it took me about 3 and a half weeks before I felt comfortable enough to drive the car the way I should have been