2006 Mustang Gt Vs 2001 Ss

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Nice Mustang.

How are the new 3V's for holdin boost?
What can a stock internal one handle? 8 psi? 10 psi?
I like the S/C Saleens with 425bhp, very nice lookin cars.

They got the same 4.6 as you?
Any difference/'s?

ya there the same motor, head and internal wise just minus the crappy blower and $$$$, the 3v will hold boost alot better than the 2v mustang would and respond alot better, im running 8 psi but i can tell you at least 10 ppl right off the top of my head that are runnin 11-13psi and having no problems, the stock internals seem to have a breakin point at about 550 or so dependin on tune, a friend of mine has the same turbo kit as me but runnin 12# and makin 560rwhp and 570rwtq and has been for a year with no problems but he babies his car the same way i do and its not his daily driver as mine is. as for the saleens with 425 bhp, there good lookin cars but a waste of money, the saleen blowers are ****, for the same money i have what i believe is a more uniqe car and 100rwhp and 100rwtq more.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

I'm working on my 07 gt but it's all in the tune ,you are diff at the threshhold though.Looks like your tuner knows his ****!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian06eleanor
ya there the same motor, head and internal wise just minus the crappy blower and $$$$, the 3v will hold boost alot better than the 2v mustang would and respond alot better, im running 8 psi but i can tell you at least 10 ppl right off the top of my head that are runnin 11-13psi and having no problems, the stock internals seem to have a breakin point at about 550 or so dependin on tune, a friend of mine has the same turbo kit as me but runnin 12# and makin 560rwhp and 570rwtq and has been for a year with no problems but he babies his car the same way i do and its not his daily driver as mine is. as for the saleens with 425 bhp, there good lookin cars but a waste of money, the saleen blowers are ****, for the same money i have what i believe is a more uniqe car and 100rwhp and 100rwtq more.
I am not up to date on the S197s as I would like to be...but I thought the Rods and Pistons are the same HyperUcrappy ones that are in the New edge GTs....even similar blocks...no?....and those are at best 450-475 to be safe.

IMO - tune's only delay the inevitable when it comes to high CR, crappy internals...or worse yet (machs)...Both.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Yes they are simular but the 2vs cannot compare to the 3vs so you cannot compare the two period.The 3v's can put out way more power than the 2vs stock or other wise.500hp not out of the question with a proper tune on a stock block 3v.
Originally Posted by ponygt65
I am not up to date on the S197s as I would like to be...but I thought the Rods and Pistons are the same HyperUcrappy ones that are in the New edge GTs....even similar blocks...no?....and those are at best 450-475 to be safe.

IMO - tune's only delay the inevitable when it comes to high CR, crappy internals...or worse yet (machs)...Both.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Yes they are simular but the 2vs cannot compare to the 3vs so you cannot compare the two period.The 3v's can put out way more power than the 2vs stock or other wise.500hp not out of the question with a proper tune on a stock block 3v.
I am not a complete stranger to S197s. The head and intake design is different, I am not talking about the long block, only the short block. If the internals are the same, and the block is as well (not 100% if they are the exact same block) how does it differ that the 3V's can handle more power? Example in some reasoning........the 3V can not compare to a 4V........yet a 4V can't handle 500RWHP long term on stock internals either. I am no stranger to blown 4.6s wither (see sig), nor am I a stranger to tuning. Obviously the richer the fuel, the better the timing, HIGH OCTANE, and smoother tune the car has, the better it will be and the longer it will last. But when adding pressure in a cylinder, the tune can only do so much in comparison to what the internals can handle. Remember....Saleen and Roush don't limit the psi/power on the factory stock internals for nothing.

I have been around 4.6s for years.......but I have no problem admitting I am not an expert on the S197s. IE: I don't talk out my ***.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Launching!

My freind the 3v is a differant animal even from the 4v ,the 3v can handle almost if not the same hp than the 4v.I believe that the computer is differant as well look at the whp stock out put there is no comparo.
I am not a complete stranger to S197s. The head and intake design is different, I am not talking about the long block, only the short block. If the internals are the same, and the block is as well (not 100% if they are the exact same block) how does it differ that the 3V's can handle more power? Example in some reasoning........the 3V can not compare to a 4V........yet a 4V can't handle 500RWHP long term on stock internals either. I am no stranger to blown 4.6s wither (see sig), nor am I a stranger to tuning. Obviously the richer the fuel, the better the timing, HIGH OCTANE, and smoother tune the car has, the better it will be and the longer it will last. But when adding pressure in a cylinder, the tune can only do so much in comparison to what the internals can handle. Remember....Saleen and Roush don't limit the psi/power on the factory stock internals for nothing.

I have been around 4.6s for years.......but I have no problem admitting I am not an expert on the S197s. IE: I don't talk out my ***.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Teching In

The 3v has the same bottom end as the 2v. Neither the 3v nor the 2v can even compare to the 03-04 cobra motor. The cobra motor has manley rods, forged pistons and a steel crank from the factory. The 3v heads flow as good if not better than the 4v heads so it's easy to make a lot of power with the 3v motors. My friend made 466 rwhp with a non-intercooled vortec at just 8 lbs of boost. He beat the crap out of it for about a year and the motor blew. The tuner said he could have gotten a lot more out of it but he stopped at 466 because the motor was maxed out for a car that he knew was gonna get beat on a lot. If your running more than 450 rwhp on a stock bottom end then your on borrowed time. The only time your car is making that kind of power is when your at WOT so if you drive it normally every day and don't stay to the floor a lot then the motor will last a long time.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Teching In

very true. the reason 3v can handle more power than the 2v is the fact that they dony need 14# to make 500 hp, we can do it with 8-10# which makes it alot easier on the motor, and 500rwhp turbo power is easier on the motor than supercharged power
Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

And people wanna know ahy stang guys get so defensive in here. Couldnt' have just said nice kill?......OH WAIT..................

Nice kill.

I think he was just trying to say that a cammed 100 shot LS1 is going to be a pretty stout car. Dont read so much into **** or your going to get your feelings hurt buy alot of people.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by contentsunderpressur
The 3v has the same bottom end as the 2v. Neither the 3v nor the 2v can even compare to the 03-04 cobra motor. The cobra motor has manley rods, forged pistons and a steel crank from the factory. The 3v heads flow as good if not better than the 4v heads so it's easy to make a lot of power with the 3v motors. My friend made 466 rwhp with a non-intercooled vortec at just 8 lbs of boost. He beat the crap out of it for about a year and the motor blew. The tuner said he could have gotten a lot more out of it but he stopped at 466 because the motor was maxed out for a car that he knew was gonna get beat on a lot. If your running more than 450 rwhp on a stock bottom end then your on borrowed time. The only time your car is making that kind of power is when your at WOT so if you drive it normally every day and don't stay to the floor a lot then the motor will last a long time.
Thank you. But, I do not agree with the statement underlined.

kennyxg - I am not saying the 3v can't make more power than a 2v...that is NOT what I am saying. The post above is what I was saying...please don't get confused. (however, when I said 4v, I was refering to N/A). The other thing is you mentioned the 3v can handle almost if not as much as a 4V...well, a 4V N/A motor can only handle 450-475 on the stock bottom end (pending variables) which is why I made my comments.

Last edited by ponygt65; 06-19-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I think he was just trying to say that a cammed 100 shot LS1 is going to be a pretty stout car. Dont read so much into **** or your going to get your feelings hurt buy alot of people.

UM..ok...you obviously have not been paying attention to that guys posts. He ALWAYS makes some kind of smartass/degrading comment about stangs or stang owners. And to show it isn't worth a flame fest....I post the last comment of 'Oh Wait'......take your own advice....don't read too much into my posts OR assume you know why I posted it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian06eleanor
very true. the reason 3v can handle more power than the 2v is the fact that they dony need 14# to make 500 hp, we can do it with 8-10# which makes it alot easier on the motor, and 500rwhp turbo power is easier on the motor than supercharged power
I agree with that one too......except centrif. chargers are easier than roots/twin screws....(pending who you ask).
Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

UM..ok...you obviously have not been paying attention to that guys posts. He ALWAYS makes some kind of smartass/degrading comment about stangs or stang owners. And to show it isn't worth a flame fest....I post the last comment of 'Oh Wait'......take your own advice....don't read too much into my posts OR assume you know why I posted it.

I really dont pay attention to anyones posts on here that much so he could be a jackass. Just giving a different observation than the one you gave.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I really dont pay attention to anyones posts on here that much so he could be a jackass. Just giving a different observation than the one you gave.
Gotcha......

.....Then again, I know of at least 3 members that think I am a jackass...I am sure there are more than that.....
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I agree with that one too......except centrif. chargers are easier than roots/twin screws....(pending who you ask).

ya, i def agree that centri are easier on a motor just because they make boost in higher rpms and its easier to stay outta boost that it is with a root style, but my first plans were to go with a kenne bell. so i cant say much.

as for the what flows better arguement the 3v flows at least 35 or 40% better than a 2v and i would say a 4v flows slightly better than a 3v, but besides the 03-04 cobra id say 3v handle more pwr and handle boost better than n/a 4v, theres not to many stock bottem end 99-01 cobras or machs holdin 500+rwhp. just my thoughts
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

The 3v still have the same cypercrap pistons and none forged rods as a N/A 4v so I'd think they should break at around the same numbers. I don't know if they have a forged crank though like the 99,01 Cobra's and 5spd mach's. I know that Mach's and Cobra tend to stop being safe at around 8lbs of boost so from what I have seen that translates to about 450rwhp. 450rwhp from what I have seen also tends to be the breaking point for the 3v’s as well. Still there is a guy running around with a 525rwhp turbo mach 1 and some others with similar #'s SCed with a decent amount of miles but that’s not common on stock internals
Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

if you want to go to modularpowerhouse.com, which is who built my car you will c that they have done at least 30 3v in the last couple months that are makin 470++rwhp and none have had ne prob. its all in the tune tim barth is a mustang guro lol
Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm not denying it is mostly in the tune but pushing numbers like that and you have less margin for error and detonation at 500rwhp will spell doom for any none forged modular. Plus you’re only talking about a few months here when I say safe I mean 50 thousand miles and more safe.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by contentsunderpressur
If your running more than 450 rwhp on a stock bottom end then your on borrowed time.
No lie. I spent three years on the Brad Barnett's site and Modular tech when I had my Stang, and nearly every blown build (super or turbo charged) that pushed over 450 rwhp grenaded w/i 8-12 months. The 3V breaths like a champ, but those fairy dust coated pistons simply cannot stand the boost. The only guys who didn't explode on stock internals were the ones running the the Saleen blowers at about 5psi and 425 rwhp.

You pushing well over that threshold, and it sounds like you like to race. Watch out
Old 06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Teching In

actually i rarely race, i actually baby my car, but i understand that the more hp the more dangerous but i plan on havin a built shortblock within the next 6 months neways, so no worries.