Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo RSX goes down.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Shut up gsrhunter, Acura is the sorriest excuse for a luxury car company ever. And even if his car did make enough horsepower to take an ls1 down it would fall apart before the end of the race and lose anyways. Nice kill op.
I find it rather amusing that you are calling Honda/Acura junk, but you drive a 3rd gen F-body
Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
hmmmm I doubt it...

270-290whp...with what? like 210wtq?? This was from a mid 2nd gear roll...where torque still plays a huge factor

I have raced cars that make more HP then me, but less torque from a 60+ roll and it was much closer...from a dig or a slower 1st, 2nd gear roll...I always pull ahead of the other car right away...why? because my car makes over 360rwtq.

If your racing from a dead stop, your torque is continuing to fall, as rpm increases. So this mean hp is accelerating your car. Look at a graph. Your torque rises, then falls,while hp increases.

If you make peak torque at 4200 rpms, you will not fall below that, unless you have some godly huge *** turbo.

How many vids have you seen, where a civic(1.6-1.8 liters) pulls up next to a viper, ls1 or vette and punch it and they are side by side? Yes weight plays a huge roll in acceleration, but it also go to show, torque is not a factor from a roll. Gear selection, enables you to adjust your torque curve. This is why Im stating, that torque is useless to brag about. For those that say torque wins races, go line up a 600hp viper and run it against a 600hp crx and tell me who wins. Matter of fact, what do you think is faster:

500rwhp 350ftlb viper

or

350rwhp 500ftlb viper

Same weight same everything?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Sounds like a good run. I think if I hadn't found my Mustang I probably would have ended up getting an '05 RSX-S
Please stick with your stang for god's sake....
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

I find it rather amusing that you are calling Honda/Acura junk, but you drive a 3rd gen F-body
I find it amusing that all mustang guys like to bash 3rd gens and take up for imports. Why dont you bring your piece of **** stang down here so I can drag your *** by multiple bus-lengths, get better gas mileage, and actually drive my car home cus it will still run after the race.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
***Repost Police***

I find it amusing that all mustang guys like to bash 3rd gens and take up for imports. Why dont you bring your piece of **** stang down here so I can drag your *** by multiple bus-lengths, get better gas mileage, and actually drive my car home cus it will still run after the race.
I don't "bash" 3rd gens, but they certainly carry around the "junk" stigma a bit more than an RSX that's 5 years old or less. I have had two friends with really clean 3rd gens, but they were both V6 automatics. The vast majority of them are ragged to hell and back. Are you seriously gonna deny that? Yeah... you're faster than me. That's cool.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Its cool man, I just get tired of everyone bashing 3rd gens. I did alot of research before I started my 3rd gen projects and realized that for a budget minded racer it is the best way to go. Although it was a tough choice between this and a fox-body. Btw what does your car run? A buddy of mine has a full bolt-on cammed gt that still gets drug by stock ls1s and that just doesnt seem right.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Its cool man, I just get tired of everyone bashing 3rd gens. I did alot of research before I started my 3rd gen projects and realized that for a budget minded racer it is the best way to go. Although it was a tough choice between this and a fox-body. Btw what does your car run? A buddy of mine has a full bolt-on cammed gt that still gets drug by stock ls1s and that just doesnt seem right.
Thats why I kinda regret geting the lt1, a third gen is one of if not the best car for making power for dirt cheap. But I think I can make the lt1 suit my needs. I got a 89 ws6 formula siting in my drive way with no motor or trans and I am really thinking about doing something with it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep no offense smokey,95% of third gen's are ragged out pieces of ****,he is right.But yours is pretty clean
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pssonu
Itorque is not a factor from a roll
I would think torque plays a role, racing from any speed. Please correct me if im wrong. On another note. I raced a Turbo RSX from a 60 roll when my car was still bolt on. I had a good 2-3 cars by the end of it. They are indeed fast however
Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Btw what does your car run? A buddy of mine has a full bolt-on cammed gt that still gets drug by stock ls1s and that just doesnt seem right.
I don't know yet... I gotta get dynoed with this reman'd shortblock I just got, and make sure I'm still making the same power. And then I'll go to the track when it gets a bit cooler. I'll definitely post up then, but it's all speculation now. I'm hoping for a 13.5-13.7. As far as your buddy, it all depends... A full bolt-on GT (all my stuff + longtubes) is about 280rwhp, and even the tamest of cam setups on top of that will yield 290-295rwhp. Which is plenty to hang with a stock LS1, especially with 4.10s. What does your buddy put down?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPLATT
I would think torque plays a role, racing from any speed. Please correct me if im wrong. On another note. I raced a Turbo RSX from a 60 roll when my car was still bolt on. I had a good 2-3 cars by the end of it. They are indeed fast however

Torque begins to fall, as rpm increase. Whats accelerating your car? It hp! Why dont people shift at 4000rpm then? Why do they race until redline, where torque is at its lowest?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

I don't know yet... I gotta get dynoed with this reman'd shortblock I just got, and make sure I'm still making the same power. And then I'll go to the track when it gets a bit cooler. I'll definitely post up then, but it's all speculation now. I'm hoping for a 13.5-13.7. As far as your buddy, it all depends... A full bolt-on GT (all my stuff + longtubes) is about 280rwhp, and even the tamest of cam setups on top of that will yield 290-295rwhp. Which is plenty to hang with a stock LS1, especially with 4.10s. What does your buddy put down?
I believe he puts down 290-300 with 234ish cams, but he has stock gears(whatever they are). He runs low 8s on slicks with a 5k clutch dump and mid to high 7s on a 100 shot. His car is quick but has way too much money in it to be just keeping up with stock ls1s, IMO.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its cool man, I just get tired of everyone bashing 3rd gens.
Don't sweat it man, I got the same crap back when I owned my 2nd gen. Except it was all the 3rd gen guys giving me hell.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:21 AM
***Repost Police***

I believe he puts down 290-300 with 234ish cams, but he has stock gears(whatever they are). He runs low 8s on slicks with a 5k clutch dump and mid to high 7s on a 100 shot. His car is quick but has way too much money in it to be just keeping up with stock ls1s, IMO.
That's why I told myself a couple years ago that'd I'd never get another 2V Mustang, cuz the cost of throwing bolt-ons at it was just too much for the results you get (for me, atleast). But this car had all of the mods on it when I got it, so atleast I haven't wasted anything
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Sigh.

TQ is everything in terms of engine output, literally. If you dont have TQ, you will not move at all. You wil run the 1320 in about infiniti seconds. And I am not talking about the car company.

HP is the number one important factor in engine output for a race like we all do.

So I just owned myself right? Wrong.

HP is TQ at high RPMs.

Why is it more important than plain old TQ at lower RPMs?

Because if you had a 5K RPM redline you would tach out 1st at presicely dick MPH, then shift to second. Now your TQ multiplication at the wheels just took a hit since you're at a lower numerical ratio. And you get to presicely dick MPH before third and so on.

If you have no power aka TQ at higher RPMs (which is HP in a nutshell), you shift all the time, you can't use those hot **** rear end gears much, your ratios in the tranny have to be stupid conserveative, and you spend all your time in the relatively slow accelerating upper gears. Those of you who have driven a nasty mean old school diesel truck know exactly what I mean. It will slug you right in the gut with a huge shot of TQ. And get owned by an S2000 with like 160LBFT.

LS1s rock because they flow well up top and thus make good TQ up top otherwise known as HP. We dont need all this modern tech to make 300WTQ stock. GM did that decades ago. Yet LS1s are the fastest F-bods ever without going into "stock' special cars like Yenkos and such.

As another example for the 4 cylinder thing: There are DSM drag cars making like 400WTQ that will out and out slaughter DSMs with 500+ WTQ. Its becasue all their flow and power is above 5200.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Just go take a look at my timeslip in my sig. Its a prime example of what stopsign is saying. That camaro I ran made 430rwhp 480rwtq. He has run 11.6 @ 108 with a 1.5 60ft. My car was making around 520whp and 370wtq. His incrementals are way better than mine until we are moving. Once the car is moving.... horsepower reigns supreme!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Its amazing how often the hp vs tq argument comes up, and people try and say one is better than the other. They are both important and go hand in hand. If you would like to clear up any misconceptions or opinions you may have, read the two links below....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=32

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=33
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Please stick with your stang for god's sake....
+1....
I had a 2001 Z28 and would take another one in a heartbeat. LSX platforms have a lot of race proven technology in them. Plus, the performance aftermarket for the LSX platform is amazing. For a small amount of money you can really get the LSX motors to make tons of Hp anf torque.

"IRUNELEVENS"???? what is up with you. You give Mustang owners bad names! It is guys like you that cause tension between Ford and GM. Normally I would give props to a guy who has a Mustang....but I think you should sell that stang and get yourself an RSX, EVO or STI. If you hate domestics cars so much than why own one??? You back up every single ricer on this forum. You either really can't stand domestics cars or you like stirring the pot!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
Just go take a look at my timeslip in my sig. Its a prime example of what stopsign is saying. That camaro I ran made 430rwhp 480rwtq. He has run 11.6 @ 108 with a 1.5 60ft. My car was making around 520whp and 370wtq. His incrementals are way better than mine until we are moving. Once the car is moving.... horsepower reigns supreme!!!!
ummmmm.....could it possibly be that you car was gutted and weighed in like 2400lbs? I have to laugh at crap like this. At a local spot I hang at, I love to look at these Hondas and all the other crap. They clowns are like 27 years old and live at home with their mothers. They have some sort of clown job where they take their entire check and save up for this aftermarket turbo and fully built K or B crap motor. Then they strip the damn car until nothing is left...not even a heater core. One car I saw even had "a" dashboard held on with ducttape. It is funny that these are the clown that want run the domestic cars. The one race I had (posted on SVTperformance) with a fully built B18 motor and aftermarket turbo with 18lbs of boost, beat me by 1.5 cars. I have an N/A MACH1 with nothing removed and simple boltons. I guess in their mind that made it all woth it.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
ummmmm.....could it possibly be that you car was gutted and weighed in like 2400lbs? I have to laugh at crap like this. At a local spot I hang at....

...and so on.

His car is not gutted. Its fast because it makes tons of useable TQ. In his case, its up high and called HP. Useable TQ is going to make a car fast period. 8 billion HP from 6700-7000 is no more useless than 8 billion lbs of TQ at 1000. Neither will be very effective. this is because neither is going to be used for very long down the strip. If a car spends its whole run between 4 and 7, who cares about TQ below 4 when it comes to race day?

Say I went and hung out at the local high school and watched a bunch of retarded kids talk about how a Viper with a stage 11teen port and polish will murder any car on earth and how their brothers girlfreinds dads uncle is going to do a TT Z06 someday that will almost beat the stage 11teen Viper.

Does that make a Viper crap or a Z06 crap?

Did not think so. A bunch of retards like the ones you mentioned dont make a platform good or bad. Its really sad how many dumbasses are out there muddying up decent platforms. Especially in import circles.