Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 trans am VS 97 Sr20 det 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya but your fogeting he got about a car jump and first kick while i was back their spinning .not complaining thaugh its just part of the game but i will have better tires soon so the outcome will be a bigger gap next time i think. because as soon as i quit spining i was pulling him back hard on him and had him by prolly 2 cars .this was just under a quarter mile race
Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparetire
I doubt he has 250WHP on only 12PSI. If he had a aftermarket intake manifold and cams maybe. It sounds like he was running more than 12PSI to keep up with a cammed car till 90.

I made 261rwhp on a s14 t-28 ,fmic, @12psi ,no cams ,stock tune ,redtop.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

As for more cost info, you can pretty much start with 10K and nothing else and get a great SR20ed 240.
Maybe if you alrady buy a swapped s14 chasis ..

The KA can be sold pretty easy, since people are using those in hi-po apps. Decent chassis that are running well cost like 5-6K. Though he has the newer one which IMHO looks much better. That might have been more like 7-8.
Ka's are turds they have weak connecting rods and need exstensive tuning by a good tuner to be effective.

SR20 motors are like 3K. If you really want to poke into the junk bin, you could probably build a decent stockish one for 1500 yourself..
Junk bin? Im not sure what ya mean by that but u wont really find any sr's in the junk yard .. They wherent released in any americian chasis's except for a n/a fwd model..

I would figure total cost is around 10K, minus maybe a grand for the KA24.

Pretty decent bang for buck. Then again, with an LS1 you get a similar performer for a similar price that is a lot easier. Different strokes.
I wish I could have found a sucker to buy my ka for a $1000 they go for like $100-$200 and thats why people turbo them and run on shitty tunes because they can be very affordable to replace with another.A complete sr swap running a s13 will cost 5k doing it yourself and thats with a fmic fuel pump and so on..
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Launching!

^ good to know. My info was definitely off then. When I say 10K, it includes the car. I should have made that clear.

Although the KA is starting to show some potential. Someone made over 400WHP IIRC on a stock bottom end. The thing with rods is that its the rpm range that matters just as much as the power level. If you can keep the revs down you can sometimes get away with a lot.

What really blows me away is your power numbers on a small-mid sized turbo at low boost on a stock long block. You guys must have a really good manifold and head setup stock.

You can find used blocks and such from blown motors. Plenty of semi-reputable companies brought over SR20s from Japan too.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

ya the srs20s are a good motor in my opinion they have some great pontential .But their are abotu on par with price with a ls1.I think brandon the guy i raced got his for 3k with ecu and down pipe from some company on the net .But what gets me is for the same price he could have got eh rbd26 skyline motor for the same price and i think thats alot better motor in my opinion .But i dont know a whole lot about imports
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rb26 motor is a BITCH to swap from what I hear. Its just such a hassle that people either stick with the sr, or if they want to go rb series, the 20 or 25. The ls1 swapped 240 I was talking about earlier originally had the rb25, but wanted something different, and a cammed ls1 sure is different in an import.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Teching In

hey aznmuscle, I was at that drift event at sir. You have a silver ta right, I saw you pull in late I was hoping to see an fbody drift but that didn't happen.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95_formula
hey aznmuscle, I was at that drift event at sir. You have a silver ta right, I saw you pull in late I was hoping to see an fbody drift but that didn't happen.
No, that wasn't me lol. But I was talking to the guy, he gave me a card for Exotic Muscle...I guess they deal specifically in Y-bods, F-bods and Vipers. The next even though, I'm really contemplating entering it.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 217zenki
Maybe if you alrady buy a swapped s14 chasis ..

Ka's are turds they have weak connecting rods and need exstensive tuning by a good tuner to be effective.

Junk bin? Im not sure what ya mean by that but u wont really find any sr's in the junk yard .. They wherent released in any americian chasis's except for a n/a fwd model..

I wish I could have found a sucker to buy my ka for a $1000 they go for like $100-$200 and thats why people turbo them and run on shitty tunes because they can be very affordable to replace with another.A complete sr swap running a s13 will cost 5k doing it yourself and thats with a fmic fuel pump and so on..

WOW WOW WOW WHAT THE ****???????????????????????????????

1st of all the KA rods are forged and are extermly strong, the pistons are the weaker link, and the crank shaft is very snout!

KA is a very good motor and already has 2.4 liters, ivan from AMS is the the 9sec rang with his KA car, and its streetable and he drives it everywere...

DO NOT BASH THE KA motor, it makes awsome power with good TQ

Take that JDM **** and throw it out the window
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Lol 5k for a SR swap? This isnt 2000 bud! they can be had for alot cheaper now, and its a poinless swap when you can re use the KA bottom end and just add forged pistons and its a killer combo..

My freinds 240 is deep in the 12s, and is pulling 1.5 60s on BFG DRs at a crappy 18PSI using a 20G

Now the car has 272s,AEM, and a few other things and he is shooting to go very fast this year, know your **** befor you post ...

JDM TIGHT YO!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
No, that wasn't me lol. But I was talking to the guy, he gave me a card for Exotic Muscle...I guess they deal specifically in Y-bods, F-bods and Vipers. The next even though, I'm really contemplating entering it.
You should, that would be more entertaining then just watching 350Zs run even though some did very well. I would enter to but I can't aford tires and the car is still down. are you any good?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

^ good to know. My info was definitely off then. When I say 10K, it includes the car. I should have made that clear.

Although the KA is starting to show some potential. Someone made over 400WHP IIRC on a stock bottom end. The thing with rods is that its the rpm range that matters just as much as the power level. If you can keep the revs down you can sometimes get away with a lot.

What really blows me away is your power numbers on a small-mid sized turbo at low boost on a stock long block. You guys must have a really good manifold and head setup stock.

You can find used blocks and such from blown motors. Plenty of semi-reputable companies brought over SR20s from Japan too.

Thanks for the info!
Stock head.. 1.5 metal headgasket arp headstuds.. The car and mod list it posted on my f-quick page.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
The rb26 motor is a BITCH to swap from what I hear. Its just such a hassle that people either stick with the sr, or if they want to go rb series, the 20 or 25. The ls1 swapped 240 I was talking about earlier originally had the rb25, but wanted something different, and a cammed ls1 sure is different in an import.
Rb26 swap is a pain because u have to track down a rb25 pan and tranny.. I plan on going a rb20 convertable here next summer.. Same cam design as the 26's just a real shitty intake manifold but with the money saved on the rb20 since there so cheap Im gonna buy a bad *** RIP manifold.

Last edited by 217zenki; 08-30-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slick1851
WOW WOW WOW WHAT THE ****???????????????????????????????

1st of all the KA rods are forged and are extermly strong, the pistons are the weaker link, and the crank shaft is very snout!

KA is a very good motor and already has 2.4 liters, ivan from AMS is the the 9sec rang with his KA car, and its streetable and he drives it everywere...

DO NOT BASH THE KA motor, it makes awsome power with good TQ

Take that JDM **** and throw it out the window
There is no jdm fan boy here in fact where pulling my buddies sr and selling it all for a ls1 swap.. I know what Ivan has done.. Ive had 240's since 98 I know what ka's are capable of Im not here for a truck motor arguement.. It all depends on what the hell you want to set your car up for .. I personally dont car for the giant paper weight u call a ka.. Its not my style.. And I dont give to ***** what ya say ka's are turds unless built or have one hell of a tuner on them like ams.super strong ka rods good for 375-400 on a good day.. And then its still probally gonna be a turd because there very few low mile ka's rolling around.. But I will say this in the up most respect of the ka you can spray the living **** out of it.

Last edited by 217zenki; 08-30-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slick1851
Lol 5k for a SR swap? This isnt 2000 bud! they can be had for alot cheaper now, and its a poinless swap when you can re use the KA bottom end and just add forged pistons and its a killer combo..

My freinds 240 is deep in the 12s, and is pulling 1.5 60s on BFG DRs at a crappy 18PSI using a 20G

Now the car has 272s,AEM, and a few other things and he is shooting to go very fast this year, know your **** befor you post ...

JDM TIGHT YO!
First off the grow the **** up .. And then when we'll talk 240's when your a man.. I havent shown anyone disrespect in this thread except for maybe a giant paper weight .. Im sorry if ka remarks offend bigger rods of the ka cant compensate for your manhood. As for 5k on a sr swap yeah it can be done for alot cheaper but once again u get what ya pay for and and your car will only preform as good as the parts on it will alow.. A good quality motorset fmic full exhaust to replace a stock one a radiator and fans fuel pump mounts that **** adds up..
Thats cool that your friend is deep in the 12's more power to him . But at 18psi... I ran a 12.8 on dunlops at 12psi on a t-28 redtop.. He could have gone just the same but cheaper spraying the ka..
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95_formula
You should, that would be more entertaining then just watching 350Zs run even though some did very well. I would enter to but I can't aford tires and the car is still down. are you any good?
My car is kinda down right now too, it's pimpin the doughnut right now lol. New rims and tires coming in this week, so I'm going to use my old tires to drift on. I've never really drifted at those kind of speeds, so it should be interesting. Only drifting I've done was when I tried autocross....couldn't go more than half throttle, and was just sliding the whole course lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Drifting is fun to do.. You'll do alright as long as you take it easy and try to work yourself into it.. Dont try to go ***** out on your first day ... Its all about having fun..

Quick Reply: 98 trans am VS 97 Sr20 det 240sx