Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha. Its true.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Has anyone even really looked at the results? Seriously, he posted where to find hard data and people spent the first page bitching about proof.

Yeah, you have a fast car SHO guy. The guy who built my current 4G63 loves those cars too. Yamaha road engines rock.

But you also got beaten by some Vettes and such too. On an old crappy crappy setup my DSM ran a 13.8 at Firebird. Same night I watched a C5Z spin bog and stutter its way to a 14.2. I did not post up a thread about it, let alone register for that one thing. It would have been about 1/3000th of the story.

Nice car and all, but heres a bit of advice: Do exactly what you did, but dont title the thread "Tons of Vette Kills". Talk about how cool the event was, how many nice LSX entries there were, and how fast your car is and how you were stoked to be among the Vettes in the MPH ranking. Because contrary to the implication of the thread title, you did not dominate. Not by a long shot.

That simple change will make all the difference in reception. Its not what you say, its how you say it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Going for top speed runs at a big event like this is different than running an open track night at Firebird Raceway. Top speed runs also have nothing to do about a launch, but everything to do about power and drag.

The Vettes that Tim did beat were not ordinary Corvettes, nor stock by any means.

As I said before, I was there and Brooke (Sonic_4.6) made the trip with me. There were a lot of nice, powerful cars out there, many from my home town. It is a very big deal for us SHO guys to see a new ZO6 run a slower time. I bet you'd be excited if you were doing it with a similar car (or even your car, I don't know what you drive). His title was also fine. You as a reader, shouldn't jump to conclusions so quick, call BS, or should inquire more to how the event was.

The fastest car out there that day was a Lancer....
Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
That is truly sad.....a lancer can dominate vettes, vipers, and such. The big dawgs must have not been out that day.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Get over it... The big dawgs were there. There was even a NASCAR car out there, a twin turbo SBC 350, LOTS of Corvettes, AC Cobra's, etc.

That Lancer (Evo II) ran 215.9 mph in the mile, while the second fastest was the TT 350 Viper above. It took 3 runs for him to hit a best of 215.1 and the Evo only ran twice. A good, strong motor with 39 PSI and some nitrous would be something I would consider a "big dawg".

Video for your entertainment...

http://www.ericjacobsen.org/vids/SHO/SORC_07_eaj_hr.wmv

Watch for:

00:20 - Tim's Taurus SHO 1st run (136+ in the half-mile)
00:26 - The Viper that did 174 in the half-mile (yikes!)
00:59 - The Evo's 1st run, 212mph
01:11 - The cars returning between the 1st and 2nd runs.
01:21 - Tim's Taurus SHO returns.
01:41 - The 174mph Corvair returns.
01:48 - Tim's second run (139+, half-mile).
02:22 - A old Cougar, supposedly ex-NASCAR.
02:37 - The Evo's second run, 215+mph
02:50 - The fast Viper's 2nd run, 209mph (IIRC)
02:58 - Tim's Taurus SHO's 3rd run (1/2 mile)
03:29 - Last run of the day, the fast Viper does 215 (but not quite as fast as the EVO's fastest). Watch the last couple of frames, you can see the hood flies off just as he crosses the finish line.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capn smokey
That is truly sad.....a lancer can dominate vettes, vipers, and such. The big dawgs must have not been out that day.
But I'm sure if you showed up, you would have put them all to shame since you still think you can hit 190-ish. Meh.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
But I'm sure if you showed up, you would have put them all to shame since you still think you can hit 190-ish. Meh.
OMFG can somebody ban this tool? I think this classifies as harassment, besides your statement doesnt even make sense youre just trying to **** me off and its not working. I dont think the mods take to kindly to what you are doing, especially since you are arguing something that you are wrong about.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
I got this funny feeling that Toolman is not bullshitting and has one hell of a beast in the garage. Some more pics/vids or any other proof would be nice.
hes not bullshitting, hes a very active member of shoforum and was very helpfull in my friends turbo sho project ... which by the way is capable of 12.97 @ 108 w/o very much of a tune (and only 12psi of the 17psi its already proven it can handle)... and thru an ATX, not a manual

edit: to clarify a bit, 12.97@108 on a tune / setup that consisted of:
inaccurate injector slopes (didnt compensate for the higher fuel pressure)
arf tuned simply by using the afr table
a map graph that was simply global scaled till the car would run right
the egr shut off
removing 8* of timing across the board
no datalogging to verify the engine was happy
no dyno time AT ALL
3600 pound car (all the options)
no weight redux
a dieing transmission (roller cutch was fragmenting)

Last edited by HotRodKid; 08-31-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by capn smokey
OMFG can somebody ban this tool? I think this classifies as harassment, besides your statement doesnt even make sense youre just trying to **** me off and its not working. I dont think the mods take to kindly to what you are doing, especially since you are arguing something that you are wrong about.

How bout we ban you with you whopping 78 posts. It's actually pretty funny seeing you cry about it.

Back on topic...that lancer is ridiculous,the parachute kinda gives it away that it might be fast..lol
Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Get over it... The big dawgs were there. There was even a NASCAR car out there, a twin turbo SBC 350, LOTS of Corvettes, AC Cobra's, etc.

That Lancer (Evo II) ran 215.9 mph in the mile, while the second fastest was the TT 350 Viper above. It took 3 runs for him to hit a best of 215.1 and the Evo only ran twice. A good, strong motor with 39 PSI and some nitrous would be something I would consider a "big dawg".

Video for your entertainment...

http://www.ericjacobsen.org/vids/SHO/SORC_07_eaj_hr.wmv

Watch for:

00:20 - Tim's Taurus SHO 1st run (136+ in the half-mile)
00:26 - The Viper that did 174 in the half-mile (yikes!)
00:59 - The Evo's 1st run, 212mph
01:11 - The cars returning between the 1st and 2nd runs.
01:21 - Tim's Taurus SHO returns.
01:41 - The 174mph Corvair returns.
01:48 - Tim's second run (139+, half-mile).
02:22 - A old Cougar, supposedly ex-NASCAR.
02:37 - The Evo's second run, 215+mph
02:50 - The fast Viper's 2nd run, 209mph (IIRC)
02:58 - Tim's Taurus SHO's 3rd run (1/2 mile)
03:29 - Last run of the day, the fast Viper does 215 (but not quite as fast as the EVO's fastest). Watch the last couple of frames, you can see the hood flies off just as he crosses the finish line.
That Lancer was on Speed today. It was one of the "Launch hour" trial shows, Records, or something like that. REAL impressive car, but I was wondering, why the hell does he have it sitting soooo high in the air??!!? The courses CANNOT be that bumpy if these things are controllable at 215 mph, right??! It would seem to me that the lower the ride, the faster you will go safely since that's less air to get trapped under the thing and cause lift and/or drag. This would hold true EVEN if one did have a flat smooth surface or downforce inducing tunnels/venturi under the car, NO??
Also, PLEASE DO NOT call that thing (the Lancer) a "street car", or ANYTHING even close to street legal. Last I checked big, unmuffled turbo "dumps" through the front lower clip were NOT legal in ANY state!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I used to have a 1995 taurus sho and all I can say is the fact that he has built the car enough to beat some of the cars he did is a testament to knowing how to set up a car properly with the right parts. Sure it might not be the best 1/4 mile car out there but man watching those vids his car can move! Also, never did he bash vettes or any of the other cars he raced and beat, he simply was excited to post his results. Hell if I still had my camaro and had modded it enought o run at one of these events and beat the cars listed I would have posted a similar thread. Who cares if its a taurus...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Has anyone even really looked at the results? Seriously, he posted where to find hard data and people spent the first page bitching about proof.

Yeah, you have a fast car SHO guy. The guy who built my current 4G63 loves those cars too. Yamaha road engines rock.

But you also got beaten by some Vettes and such too. Nice car and all, but heres a bit of advice: Do exactly what you did, but dont title the thread "Tons of Vette Kills". Talk about how cool the event was, how many nice LSX entries there were, and how fast your car is and how you were stoked to be among the Vettes in the MPH ranking. Because contrary to the implication of the thread title, you did not dominate. Not by a long shot.

That simple change will make all the difference in reception. Its not what you say, its how you say it.
No, I did not dominate, but out of all street cars in the 1/2 mile (there was also an unlimited category), I was 4th, and 9th overall out of 44 cars. I think every car that was faster than me had built engines with nitrous or FI. 13 Vettes total, 4 of which were faster than me. A ZR1 with a Mallet 383 and a hefty shot of nitrous (ran 7mph faster), a twin turbo 'callaway' with 580whp (ran 8mph faster) and two others whose details I do not know. That same ZR1 has ran 190+ in the mile, which is about 27mph faster than a stock C6Z06.

So yes, I did not dominate all Vettes, I did not intend it to sound so, or to take away from the accomplishments of those other very capable cars. But when the only ones faster are modified such as these cars, I feel pretty good about my results. I am sure a decently modded Z06 would be faster, but then again, I have about 8 more psi in the bank should I need to use it
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That Lancer was on Speed today. It was one of the "Launch hour" trial shows, Records, or something like that. REAL impressive car, but I was wondering, why the hell does he have it sitting soooo high in the air??!!? The courses CANNOT be that bumpy if these things are controllable at 215 mph, right??! It would seem to me that the lower the ride, the faster you will go safely since that's less air to get trapped under the thing and cause lift and/or drag. This would hold true EVEN if one did have a flat smooth surface or downforce inducing tunnels/venturi under the car, NO??
Also, PLEASE DO NOT call that thing (the Lancer) a "street car", or ANYTHING even close to street legal. Last I checked big, unmuffled turbo "dumps" through the front lower clip were NOT legal in ANY state!!!
Sorry, but it still is a Lancer, just as Tim and I still own a Taurus.

I don't know why the guy has the car sitting so high. I never got a chance to talk to him, but a few of my friends there did (Tim?). I knew it was going to be a fast car (didn't see it before the first run) when I heard him rip through the first 3 gears faster than Tim or I can rip through one gear, and the Evo was hitting 5th gear BEFORE the half mile.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Going for top speed runs at a big event like this is different than running an open track night at Firebird Raceway. Top speed runs also have nothing to do about a launch, but everything to do about power and drag.

The Vettes that Tim did beat were not ordinary Corvettes, nor stock by any means.

As I said before, I was there and Brooke (Sonic_4.6) made the trip with me. There were a lot of nice, powerful cars out there, many from my home town. It is a very big deal for us SHO guys to see a new ZO6 run a slower time. I bet you'd be excited if you were doing it with a similar car (or even your car, I don't know what you drive). His title was also fine. You as a reader, shouldn't jump to conclusions so quick, call BS, or should inquire more to how the event was.

Yeah I know about the Lancer. Im running a DSM and spend a lot of time in the Link forums. He has made some serious progress since his last event, IIRC he ran a 203 there. Big gains. Lots of shops are finding good recipies with the big big 42 stuff right now. I just watched a Dyno vid of an Evo. They cracked 1000WHP today as opposed to 924 on the 10th. They went to a "bigger" hot side and meaner cams and did not really loose any appreciable spool. Insane.

I did not call BS. I pointed out the damn data since people on here are not looking it up at all.

And the fact that drag racing involves a lot of factors besides two ETs is exactly my point. Thats why I did not post up 'Mild DSM rapes Z06 on the drag strip'. Becaused the ETs are not the whole story. That guy was a moron and I could have beaten my DSM time with that Z06 drunk. So such a title would be a bit off.

So I'll be sure to post up something along the lines of 'SHO killed big time at Firebird' on an SHO forum next time I run at FB.

Kidding. But I hope you see my point. I have 0 problem beleiving the numbers on a 62-1 with a 3.2 Yamaha motor. Those things have about the most bullet proof valve train I have ever seen in a street car. They ran those things to like 10K for extended time periods in testing IIRC. Its just that I would avoid saying it that way in here. Just my .02 as I explain some of the reception on page 1.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toolman
No, I did not dominate, but out of all street cars in the 1/2 mile (there was also an unlimited category), I was 4th, and 9th overall out of 44 cars. I think every car that was faster than me had built engines with nitrous or FI. 13 Vettes total, 4 of which were faster than me. A ZR1 with a Mallet 383 and a hefty shot of nitrous (ran 7mph faster), a twin turbo 'callaway' with 580whp (ran 8mph faster) and two others whose details I do not know. That same ZR1 has ran 190+ in the mile, which is about 27mph faster than a stock C6Z06.

So yes, I did not dominate all Vettes, I did not intend it to sound so, or to take away from the accomplishments of those other very capable cars. But when the only ones faster are modified such as these cars, I feel pretty good about my results. I am sure a decently modded Z06 would be faster, but then again, I have about 8 more psi in the bank should I need to use it
Gotta love the old school turbos. They do tend to surprise a lot of people with their efficency even at retarded high boost.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

C6 Z06's are a fast car for stock. but once you mod a viper they disappear in your rear view mirror. with my 2001 viper i beat 2 of them in the 1 mile top speed shootout race last year the day before the silver state classic's 90 mile open road race where i beat 6 more of them.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Fast Freddy can I have your garage
Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Teching In

What did you happen to run in the mile freddy, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just to chime in,
I had a '91 SHO 5spd, did heads, cam, intake, exhaust, tune, etc, to it,
it was fast and very stealth.

There was a shop in Huntington Beach, CA that specialized in them.
Don't know if it is still there, but they did awesome work.
That car was all about the Yamaha motor.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire

So I'll be sure to post up something along the lines of 'SHO killed big time at Firebird' on an SHO forum next time I run at FB.
If you race Tom at Firebird (yes, I'm from Phoenix... was there last weekend), you beating him isn't going in your favor. His SHO motor is turbo and RWD.

The 10k theory is just that... These things are choked up in stock form WELL before the 10k mark.