Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

03 cobra VS 2001 SLP SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW I am sorry if I started a big argument. I was only looking for a somewhat yes or no response. I think both are great cars. Once again I apoligize for what I have started I have a lot of thinking to do now. I just thought it will be cool to say I owned both cars. Thanks for you time. Sorry I apoligize.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

STOCK Cobra > STOCK F-Body.

But, there are important differences, and of course your personal preferences.

Figure out what type of setup you ultimately want (n/a, n20, Blower, Turbo), about how much power you want to make, how fast in 1/4 mile, etc.

Then determine what it would take to get each car where you want it. Add up the costs of modding the F-Body and compare them to the costs of trading for and modding the Cobra. Viola, your decision becomes easy.

BTW, I bought my C5 2 years before the c6 came out and used c5s were significantly more expensive than a used Cobra. Now you can get a good c5 for the same price range as a Cobra, and C5 insurance is typically cheaper than both Cobras and F-Bodys. Food for thought.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by walker94z28
Add you some headers, pulley, and show me a cobra that will go that fast.
Well...people have done it. Personally, I could only muster a 11.29 with
the simple mods (CAI, catback, pulley, nittos). Actually, guys have run
10's with the stock pulley on the stock blower.

I hear what you're saying though. It's much easier in a A4 LS1 since
driving skills are essentially irrelevant. It's just stab and steer.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Ok this is pointless stock for stock termy is faster, mod for mod its whoever has the most money, a lid, full exhaust ls1 is the same as a stockish Termy end of story
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra is faster stock for stock hands down. And to the guy that said a cobra can have 500hp for $600 is smoking some serious stuff. That just wont happen! And i have plenty of hands on experience with cobras
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

I love Cobras and will eventually get one just to have fun with it and experience a different car. Cobras are pretty damn rare here in my area. I see a bunch of f-bods, but very few cobras.

They are definitely awesome cars with great power from the factory and amazing potential.

I say, if you can afford it and it won't be hurting your pocket, go for it!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by night ghost
wow this thread shows how ignorant you truely are mr fiero. ok i believe you beat a z51 corvette, but do you know what they are. they are stock ls1's with a suspension package. a stock 03-04 cobra WILL spank a z51 and will beat the ss for sure. dan, a man i know, drove a stock cobra with drag radials to a 12.6 in the 1/4 mi. yes the new z06's are faster than the cobras but dont get good times do to traction issues(duh!!!!!) the z06 is rated at 11.8 -11.9. so you see that u are wrong
sorry and about your question cobras are stock vs stock alot more bang for the buck. they come stock with a forged bottom end and better engineering. if you were to do a mod for mod comparison with a termi and a ls1, the cobra would come out on top for sure.

thank you,
michael
I'm the ignorant one? Because I could swear to God the engine in my Dad's Z51 Corvette is not an LS1. It's an LS2 dipsh!t. Just 50hp and 500rpm extra...And looking at 1/4mi times, a Z51 will walk a Cobra. I guess I trust some of the best 1/4mi driver's in the world, running at NHRA tracks, with the best timing equipment out there, a brand new car, and then correct it to standard atmospheric conditions.

And where did I say new Z06? Try reading, if your 5th grade education taught you that. 2003.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

It depends on how much you're willing to spend in mods.

An engine that comes boost-ready from the factory (Cobra engine) will most often than not get cheaper power.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I can pull my Dad's brand new Z51 Corvette to my back bumper, in my bone stock 02 SS SLP. The Corvette weighs less than the Cobra, has better aerodynamics, and has more power. The Cobras are only low 13 second cars, that isn't that impressive, and we've seen a stock LS1 dip into the 12s on more than 1 occasion.
First of all, if you can beat your dad's Z51 LS2 vette in your bone stock SS, he needs some driving lessons. Those cars should be hitting mid 12's without any problems, while stock SS will normally see very low to flat 13's. Half a second difference would yield a few cars in a 1/4mi race. Sure some hit 12's, but it's pretty rare and norm is usually very low 13's.

Secondly, cobras are easily 12 second cars with a decent driver in normal weather conditions. I don't know where you're pulling 13 seconds for them... I've seen them run 13's, but that was spinning all the way through first with 112-113mph traps...

Z51 LS2 vette is lighter and does have better aerodynamics, but it has a little less power comparing to a stock terminator. LS2 vette vs cobra will be a very close race, with the edge going to the vette and definitely better top end pull.

The LS6 Z06 is only a mid 12 car, the best time I've seen was C/D's 12.4. It has more power, significantly less weight, better gearing, and better aerodynamics than the Cobra. And you're saying a Cobra can walk a Z06?

Motor Trend is showing a 13.12 @ 109.58 for a 2003 Cobra Convertible. On the same track, same day, a 2003 Corvette Convertible turned a 13.02 @ 109.59, and that's down 55hp from the mid-12 Z06.

And looking at 1/4mi times, a Z51 will walk a Cobra. I guess I trust some of the best 1/4mi driver's in the world, running at NHRA tracks, with the best timing equipment out there, a brand new car, and then correct it to standard atmospheric conditions.
What's up with you bringing vettes into this discussion? I thought we were comparing camaro SS and a cobra, not Z06 and a Cobra??? And please stop magazine/bench racing... Not everyone drives the same way, at the same track, and at the same weather conditions; times will vary a lot... For your information, LS6 vettes have hit 11's in bone stock form... Figured you'd like this information

I'm the ignorant one? Because I could swear to God the engine in my Dad's Z51 Corvette is not an LS1. It's an LS2 dipsh!t. Just 50hp and 500rpm extra...

And where did I say new Z06? Try reading, if your 5th grade education taught you that. 2003.
Very ignorant comments coming out from you buddy. I think you should be more respectful to other fellas on this forum.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
An engine that comes boost-ready from the factory (Cobra engine) will most often than not get cheaper power.
Huh???
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Huh???
It's easier to get cheap reliable power from a Cobra.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

not another one of these threads