Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street racing-Rolls vs. Digs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer road racing to straight line racing. turns make racing so much more fun because the driver becomes more of a factor than the car. so with that said as far as straight line racing goes i prefer a dig to a roll because again the driver becomes more of a factor. but for me the ultimate straight line racing is 1 mile top speed shootouts. you race for 1 mile in distance from a dig. pinks is coming to my local dragstrip this november and i am gonna try and qualify my camaro for the all out show.

Last edited by FAST FREDDY; 09-07-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FAST FREDDY
i prefer road racing to straight line racing. turns make racing so much more fun because the driver becomes more of a factor than the car. so with that said as far as straight line racing goes i prefer a dig to a roll because again the driver becomes more of a factor. but for me the ultimate straight line racing is 1 mile top speed shootouts. you race for 1 mile in distance from a dig. pinks is coming to my local dragstrip this november and i am gonna try and qualify my camaro for the all out show.
I hope I get to watch you race I am looking forward to it. I am surprized they are coming to SIR.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I agree 100%. And by "your car doesn't work", that can include front wheel drive cars that blow their tires off from a dig because FWD sucks for anything that could consider itself to be a performance car.
That's exactly what I meant
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I agree 100%. And by "your car doesn't work", that can include front wheel drive cars that blow their tires off from a dig because FWD sucks for anything that could consider itself to be a performance car. I did hear, though, that the new Viper will be front wheel drive...oh wait. No it won't.

Then again, 95% of the racing I've done has been from a roll due to circumstances (it being a spur of the moment kinda thing).
Yeah yeah yeah fwd sucks.... I spin the crap outta the tires from a dig... and yet my car still runs low 12's on street tires. I'm so sick of domestic Vs. Import...... FWD Vs. RWD crap. Its getting so old. I guess you wouldn't consider 7's at 190mph being good performance from a dig right? This was done by a full body civic also!!!! Come on..... fast is fast..... stop being so closedminded. No one expects you to buy one.... just respect it.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

im a dig man myself. but i do like 10-20mph rolls because thats all i can get.. but like everyone else has said, most of the time everyone spends all there money on the motor to get that magic dyno #. if you would build your susp. and get some decent tires then you would like a dig too..

goin from a dig or low roll keeps the driver in the game not just seein whos car has more hp but the ability to put it to the ground...

IMO
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slimcracka
im a dig man myself. but i do like 10-20mph rolls because thats all i can get.. but like everyone else has said, most of the time everyone spends all there money on the motor to get that magic dyno #. if you would build your susp. and get some decent tires then you would like a dig too..

goin from a dig or low roll keeps the driver in the game not just seein whos car has more hp but the ability to put it to the ground...

IMO

I totally agree.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
Yeah yeah yeah fwd sucks.... I spin the crap outta the tires from a dig... and yet my car still runs low 12's on street tires. I'm so sick of domestic Vs. Import...... FWD Vs. RWD crap. Its getting so old. I guess you wouldn't consider 7's at 190mph being good performance from a dig right? This was done by a full body civic also!!!! Come on..... fast is fast..... stop being so closedminded. No one expects you to buy one.... just respect it.
Why respect a poor design? There is no being close minded about it...sure, it can work for some, but torque steer and lack of traction in general are two handicaps that the end user brings upon him/herself when they decide to modify an econobox instead of buying a better platform to begin with.

For every one that runs 7s at 190, there are millions that run in the 15s and 16s. You run low 12s on street tires where you could be running 11s or 10s if your car was driving the correct tires. I have no respect for poor design choices...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Launching!

I dont see the point in only racing the cars really. To me this as much about driving skill as it is about how fast the car is. And honestly I care about how fast the car is mostly in terms of who made it and how good they are at a build up.

Basicly, if you take a lot of the skill out of it (which roll racing does) its like half a race. Fun I am sure, but not as good.

Roll racing measures power, gearing, aerodynamics, weight. In that order.

Dig/track/road course/rally meaures skill, of the the above, suspension setup, brakes, tire choice, cockpit layout even.

I dont bag on roll racing, looks like fun and its neat to read about. But for me it will be at the strip or track.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone noticed that most of the guys saying roll racing is how you find the faster car are guys that have M6's

The way i see it is i will not go from a roll thats over 20mph bc thats just plain stupid IMO. I usually race from a dig and when i destroy the guy and he comes back saying "But i was spinning" usually ill say "Oh, well i was Hooking " If your spinning that bad then it just means

A. you need new tires or better ones.
B. you really cant drive (<-- this one being the problem more times than not)

I mean i dont give the guys **** that race from a roll as i have done some 60 kicks back when my car had the stock stall in it and the 4LShittyE still in it. In order to find out which car is truly faster is to run from a dig.

Always remember "If your Spinnin you Ain't Winnin"
Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

You're
Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I mainly do rolls do to the fact i have 450RWHP and TQ and VERY shitty tires but that will change in a month or two. Going from a dig on the street i usally want to run for a bit of cash to make it worthwhile if i break something....but thats how it is around were i go sadly
Old 09-08-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

i dont get alot of you guys.....rolls are for dinner

digs only!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

It seems that here in Tucson most people want to Roll Race. I mean it's fun if its a worthy opponent, but 99% of the cars in Tucson are just riced out with maybe a turbo which still doesn't put them in my leauge. They never want to race from a dig because high horsepower FWD on street tires will just spin the tires forever.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can catch me on MT streets and skinnies doing dig races pullin 1.6 - 1.7's on the street or roll racing to 180+ with street bikes. I think a real street racer now a day with a fast car should not have a problem either way.

I like freeway racing for 2 main reasons non of which have anything to do with parts breaking.

1. Usually it's on the freeway, where it's much easier to get away from cops not to mention you'll most likely never get caught.

2. Most streets you can get to 120- 130 and you need to let off (if you're lucky). on the freeway you can do 150+ mph roll races without a problem not having to worry about some stupid spectator moving in the road, or wrecking on small *** bumpy narrow streets. Also lets you know who has that top end (ls1 ???)

I think people who only roll, or only 1320 are missing out and worried about not performing. Lots of old school cars are built motors on 3 speeds and run out of gear shortly after 1320. They tend to hate on freeway racing when us with newer cars easily making 500hp with 6speeds, low *** gears that can still pull good 1320 times and go 150+ like nothin, while cruising at speed getting 20mpg think freeway / roll racing is fun.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Yeah I agree with you man. Roll racing on the highway is really fun! And if you pass a cop doing 150 and he is at a dead stop their is no way in hell he will catch up to you.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I dont really care if I race from a roll or from a dig.

I just like racing any way you do it is fun.

Digs are fun because you get to launch your car hard and rolls are fun because slower cars can sometimes hang with faster cars for a better race, is it even a race if one car gets 5 cars just because it launches better,

I dont really car racing is racing
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bjamick
I usually race from a dig and when i destroy the guy and he comes back saying "But i was spinning" usually ill say "Oh, well i was Hooking " If your spinning that bad then it just means

A. you need new tires or better ones.
B. you really cant drive (<-- this one being the problem more times than not)
If you're hooking that good it just means

A. you are running tires that won't allow you to drive over 40mph in the rain
B. your car is slow as **** (<-- this one being your case)

I myself like running from rolls. Doesn't wear out my rear tires and leaves the other guy with less excuses. If I'm going to run from a dig its going to be at the track.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

having to race from a roll because you cant hook up is like having to settle for a handjob because your **** is too big to have sex with; it's kinda fun to brag about, but in the end, youre still not getting any real action

dig for me, tires and suspension are set up to hook hard out of the hole
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I just laugh at how biased people are to the way their car is set up!!!!

The guy who runs 10.0's @ 130 thinks dig racing is the only measure of a cars performance!!!!

The guy who runs 10.0's @ 150 only likes roll racing.... but will run you at the track.... to show off his monstrous trap speeds <-most likely what my car will do!!!! LOL

Then there's the guy who runs 10.0's at 140 who doesn't give a damn.... lets just race!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Stopsign32v]If you're hooking that good it just means

A. you are running tires that won't allow you to drive over 40mph in the rain
B. your car is slow as **** (<-- this one being your case)
[/QUOTE

OR

C. Your car is perfectly set up to dead hook with the power you are making.

Just like 5000hp funny car can dead hook, doesn't matter how much power, but how you go about putting it to the ground.

PS. If you are worried about your cars handling performance in the rain, don't own a rwd car with a v8.