Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street racing-Rolls vs. Digs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Street racing-Rolls vs. Digs

What do you prefer, and why?

I used to always run from a dig, and from time to time, someone would have shitty tires and ask for a roll or whatever. It never really mattered to me how I did it to be honest.

Now I have a pretty strong M6 car, and have already blew the posi once on the 1-2 shift at the track on Nittos. Since then, after getting a free posi from a buddy (thanks Will ) I don't go to the track, and I don't race any other way besides a 40 roll in 2nd. I would do a higher roll if someone wanted.

Here's where the whole point of this thread comes in......I get CRUCIFIED at work for roll racing. There's only 1 guy that doesnt give me **** about it. The rest of the guys are too closed minded to give it a chance. They say it isnt racing, and the only way to find out which car is faster, is to run them from a stop. I disagree, STRONGLY. Here's why:

You take two cars that are decently comparable and run them from a dig 3 times, and you could quite possibly get 3 different outcomes that totally contradict the run just prior, and the car that has the potential to be the winner, loses. We all know how easy it is to blow the launch and fall back 1-2 cars from the get-go. I think when you run from a roll, it's a more evenly started run, and you see which car is "faster".

See, I really don't give a **** about anything more than seeing whose car pulls whose as we bang some gears. Sure, a dig run is cool too, but it's not worth blowing the 10 bolt at the moment. I know once I get a 9in and some suspension mods, that I will do digs again, but I won't be a dick to the guys that still roll race.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rolls all the way, less **** breaks and you get to see whose car is actually "faster". Going to the track is cool but all I look at is my trap speed anyways so its kinda pointless. Dig racing can be pretty gay sometimes, I race awd cars every once in a while and it always pisses me off cus they want to race to the 60' mark and say their car is faster even though I can come by them like they hit their brakes after that point. Roll racing shows trap speed and thats all I care about, I guess you could say Im a supra/viper kinda guy when it comes to racing preference(even though I dont like either car, lol).
Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's only 2 reasons to roll race...

1. You can't drive.
2. Your car doesn't work.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
There's only 2 reasons to roll race...

1. You can't drive.
2. Your car doesn't work.
I can drive fine. How's 12s stock sound

I roll race to keep my car from breaking. And for the other reasons I previously stated
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer to run from a low speed roll. I haven't run at the track so I see no reason to believe that I can launch the car like a pro. I am not afraid of looking like an idiot on the street, I just have no desire to stress the life of the 10bolt by trying to John-Force it. I don't care how the other person wants to race I just look for friendly runs... dig, roll, whatever.

-J
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I do both, first we catch a light then maybe a 40-50 roll. but I think it is lame to only do rolls. you gotta go from a dig its so much more fun. if you only do rolls you scard of losing to a better driver.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You broke your rear once, and are afraid to do so again. Sounds like your car ain't working to me
Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You broke your rear once, and are afraid to do so again. Sounds like your car ain't working to me
Oh it's working just fine, but it wouldnt be if I launched it hard
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

I was on DRs for a year and I loved racing from a dig using nitrous. Now that I'm on street tires it's pointless because I can't spray until 3rd, so I only do rolls. I mean I'll race a Mustang or something from a dig, but that's an easy win
Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

I usually do a roll cuz my clutch blows....
In my opinon, a dig race is the only full out fair way to see whos car is faster/better.
If your car has alot of power and cant hook up thats your fault(i fall partially in this category). Our cars are good from a dig respectively...if ricers want fwd let them have it.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

DIG, DIG, and oh yeah DIG!!

Roll racing sucks, and the only time i get tempted into it is on the freeway late at night when i get fucked with by the occasional evo, sti, vette, camaro, stang, etc.

Ok, one correction roll racing has a place, a rolling start to a road course race.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

I enjoy both. Roll racing generally happens when you dont have a place to go from a dig. Sure is easier on everything too.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like either one, but I have to be in my powerband when rollracing
and when I get more power I wont do any dig racing utill I ge a 12bolt
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

I feel the same way, i do 99% roll races. I might do more dig races but my suspension and tires suck, lol.

I like roll races cause it eliminates the whole, i couldnt get traction excuse. when you eliminate tire spin then you really get to see which car has more power. dig races usually end up being which car can get better traction, not which is necessarily faster.

I dont see why people dont feel like its a race unless its from a stop
Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

I usually roll race. I just blow tires off from a stop and my suspension is going to be set up for handling anyway..
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I like low rolls, like 15-20. Still dig-like to some point....but still moving a bit. I like to know the power band of other cars in lower gears as opposed to a 40-60 roll.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Teching In

I like roll racing best when on the street because then I can be matched up with real high hp cars.... and our roll race spot is so perfect. I only race from a dig at the track or if we mark off a full quarter mile. This way the guy I'm racing is praying that the finish line comes before I go flying by him traveling 30mph faster.... instead of him turning on his hazards as soon as he shifts to second.... then claiming me passing him going 30mph faster " was just a ricer fly-by".

Its funny how people are so fixed on the type of racing their car is best set up for.... and that is just the only way to measure a car's performance........ PERIOD!!!! Well dig racing isn't the best way to measure a car's performance.... I've seen many slower cars beat faster ones from a dig... simply because the slower car driver was supremely superior to the faster car driver. This almost never happens from a roll.... unless the faster car is only slightly faster... the faster car almost always wins. Here's proff about dig racing. A guy with a 9sec viper was allowed to drive this very same viper and he ran 11.6 at 120 which would have spanked that civic!!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=15968205
Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gsrhunter

Well dig racing isn't the best way to measure a car's performance.... I've seen many slower cars beat faster ones from a dig... simply because the slower car driver was supremely superior to the faster car driver. This almost never happens from a roll.... unless the faster car is only slightly faster...

Isn't that also part of street racing, seeing who the better driver is? How hard is it to shift a car when you are already going 50mph. Not to mention, the richest person usually will win a roll race, simply because they have dumped the most money into it. Just my .02
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
Here's proff about dig racing. A guy with a 9sec viper was allowed to drive this very same viper and he ran 11.6 at 120 which would have spanked that civic!!!

What a f-ing moron, viper wasn't even staged and he started banking it off rev limiter...threw up a little in my mouth at that sound of it as well (or maybe it was the look)