Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

700rwhp supra vs LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slo-poc
He must of spun or been on his "street tune".........
Haha, so true.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Supras dont make **** for hp or torque till 6k rpms. Cruise one of their forums for a dyno graph, its funny as hell. They only have a real "useable" rpm range of like 1k.

If it was like a 90mph roll he would show you his taillights, but they are so overrated if you go from a dig or slow roll.

Nice kill lol.
Kind of odd since our Supras here in KC primarily race from digs. One ran a modded 1000cc GSXR I believe, from a dig and beat it. He ran 10.0's a couple years ago making around 740rwhp in a completely full weight (a/c cruise etc) car plus a big stereo.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slo-poc
He must of spun or been on his "street tune".........
...or he could've just been flat out lying about his "Supdawg powa" as "everyone" seems to believe that ALL of them are putting >1000 hp to the wheels on pump gas!!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

where is the videos??? im disappointed. i really hope you got that on tape.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Agreeing with daily driver, I believe the Supra owner was lying which is funny 'cause I always label him a domestic fanboy. J/K

Also, people who believe that Supras have less powerband because they start making power at 6k haven't been around them enough or know little about the majority of them.

6k to 9k sounds like a good powerband to me. Hell that's all the powerband I have in my car (4k to 7k)!

Gearing makes up for torque... If torque was the priority, we'd all be driving diesel inline 6's that redline at 4k and make 300rwtq instead of our LS1. Low peak torque is VERY overrated.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Also, people who believe that Supras have less powerband because they start making power at 6k haven't been around them enough or know little about the majority of them.

6k to 9k sounds like a good powerband to me. Hell that's all the powerband I have in my car (4k to 7k)!

Gearing makes up for torque... If torque was the priority, we'd all be driving diesel inline 6's that redline at 4k and make 300rwtq instead of our LS1. Low peak torque is VERY overrated.
If it is well built and can peak and then hold that power??? Then yes with the proper gearing it will haul. If it is low for the first 5k rpms, peaks, then falls sharply? Garbage.

Just like any other car, a well built supra can be extremely fast. There are just a ton of "800hp" supra dyno racers that still run like **** at the track.

I highly disagree about low end torque being overrated. Torque is what gets you off the line...horspower just happens to come along with it.

^ 825 to the wheels is some amazing power...but that will not be as quick as an 800rwhp car should be.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Kind of odd since our Supras here in KC primarily race from digs. One ran a modded 1000cc GSXR I believe, from a dig and beat it. He ran 10.0's a couple years ago making around 740rwhp in a completely full weight (a/c cruise etc) car plus a big stereo.
Ummm...yeah.......Bragging about 10.0 in a car making 740rwhp pretty much proves the point that a lot of high HP Supra's can't back up those numbers in any sort of impressive way at the track. If I was in a car making 740rwhp and couldn't consistently hit single digits, I would have to rethink my entire setup and stop driving like a douche. But clearly the car you're talking about wasn't setup as a track car, as most Supra's are not. 98% of those things are meant to run from high rolls and that's about it.

Nice kills, OP.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 11-08-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I heard that bad *** 700 whp black Supra just got *** raped by a 500 whp sea foam green LT1 Camaro , from a ricer roll. "twice" What happen, was the 2 step set to low again, or did your turbo not spool???

first post i saw on the page the link goes to...

ahahahaha
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Puck
If it is well built and can peak and then hold that power??? Then yes with the proper gearing it will haul. If it is low for the first 5k rpms, peaks, then falls sharply? Garbage.

Just like any other car, a well built supra can be extremely fast. There are just a ton of "800hp" supra dyno racers that still run like **** at the track.

I highly disagree about low end torque being overrated. Torque is what gets you off the line...horspower just happens to come along with it.

^ 825 to the wheels is some amazing power...but that will not be as quick as an 800rwhp car should be.
Who races out of their powerband?

Oh, and F1 cars get off the line pretty fast smoking their tires... You know what their peak tq + redline is? Yes, torque is overrated.

A Supra with 3k of peak power at a high RPM is hardly at a disadvantage... It is the usable powerband of many LS1's... Just alot of empty power at the low RPM's but why even look there?

I agree with you there are SOME 800 rwhp Supras that are underthought and overturbo'd with, like, 1 or 2k RPM of powerband, but there are poorly built LS1's as well... Actually, there are many...

Ever seen the dyno sheet of the average rear mount turbo LS1?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Ummm...yeah.......Bragging about 10.0 in a car making 740rwhp pretty much proves the point that a lot of high HP Supra's can't back up those numbers in any sort of impressive way at the track. If I was in a car making 740rwhp and couldn't consistently hit single digits, I would have to rethink my entire setup and stop driving like a douche. But clearly the car you're talking about wasn't setup as a track car, as most Supra's are not. 98% of those things are meant to run from high rolls and that's about it.

Nice kills, OP.
I'm at that power on pump and I probably couldn't get into the single digits if my life depended on it... I suppose my set-up needs to be rethought.

You said it though...

Not all Supras are drag strip cars... Not all F-body's either.

Supras are always gonna get hated on because they're old cars with more mod potential than many here... 900 rwhp with fuel/turbo mods on a stock longblock isn't exactly done very often on an LT1... Plus so many people here would lose to half of the Supras out there that all they can do is run their mouth and inflate the number of Supras that are improperly set-up... The time spent on talking **** about them should be spent on modding your car to beat them.

The OP did real good, cool. What's his HP#???
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, and F1 cars get off the line pretty fast smoking their tires... You know what their peak tq + redline is? Yes, torque is overrated.
Quite true, but they also weigh a little over 1100? pounds!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at that power on pump and I probably couldn't get into the single digits if my life depended on it... I suppose my set-up needs to be rethought.

You said it though...

Not all Supras are drag strip cars... Not all F-body's either.

Supras are always gonna get hated on because they're old cars with more mod potential than many here... 900 rwhp with fuel/turbo mods on a stock longblock isn't exactly done very often on an LT1... Plus so many people here would lose to half of the Supras out there that all they can do is run their mouth and inflate the number of Supras that are improperly set-up... The time spent on talking **** about them should be spent on modding your car to beat them.

Unfortunately, it's not the time, it's the money!

But seriously, I just stated it like that to make a point. Obviously every car out there making that kind of power is not setup to run at the strip. Many of them are just street cars (especially Supras). I was just trying to make the point that saying a specific Supra busted out a 10.0 on 7XXrwhp a few years ago isn't exactly making his point very well, especially if it was setup for the strip (which it probably wasn't).

To be honest, I personally LOVE to race from a roll, which means I'd probably be very happy with a Supra. I don't honestly see my car running single digits consistently ever because that's not how I want it setup. I like to drive it on the street and slicks/skinnies with insane drag suspension just doesn't do it for me. But the fact is, Supra's run like no other when way up high in their RPM and mph, which is very impressive, but they often (not ALWAYS) don't really compete from a dig with cars that put out similar horsepower.

I'm sorry if I came off a bit more offensive than I meant. I was just trying to make a point.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 11-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Quite true, but they also weigh a little over 1100? pounds!!

Fair enough... But my main point was that 3k of high HP RPM powerband from 6k to 9k is quite enough tq to move out from a dig or roll in a 3400 lb. Supra.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Unfortunately, it's not the time, it's the money!

But seriously, I just stated it like that to make a point. Obviously every car out there making that kind of power is not setup to run at the strip. Many of them are just street cars (especially Supras). I was just trying to make the point that saying a specific Supra busted out a 10.0 on 7XXrwhp a few years ago isn't exactly making his point very well, especially if it was setup for the strip (which it probably wasn't).

To be honest, I personally LOVE to race from a roll. I'd probably be very happy with a Supra and I don't honestly see my car running single digits consistently ever because that's not how I want it setup. I like to drive it on the street and slicks/skinnies with insane drag suspension just doesn't do it for me.

I'm sorry if I came off a bit more offensive than I meant. I was just trying to make a point.
We feel the same way...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

I first started reading this thread and was going to pull the BS flag. Then I read his mods. Spraying a 150 shot, with a built motor, with a 9" with 4.33's, I'm pretty sure you pulled him HARD off the line.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM

I think the real problem is that people who have their cars set up to race from a roll often will not race any other way. Alot of people with their car's set up to run from a dig have no problem running both ways and then taking one win and one loss. It's just the mentality of "I have XXXXXXXXX HP to the wheels so if I lose then I'll be totally embarassed so I'm not even gonna risk it."

I personally have no problem with racing from a roll or racing from a stop. I think it's retarded for someone to only race the way that they set their car up for, just so that they never lose. In a set up race between a car that's set up for rolls and a car that's setup for digs, do it both ways.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I first started reading this thread and was going to pull the BS flag. Then I read his mods. Spraying a 150 shot, with a built motor, with a 9" with 4.33's, I'm pretty sure you pulled him HARD off the line.
we raced from a 2nd gear roll not a dig. from a dig it would have been a lot worse I'm sure because my car hooks as good on the street as it does on the track. one of his friends said he is running like a 110mm turbo or some **** like that but after the race they didn't come back to the parking lot. unfortunetly I didn't get any video but I would have loved to get that on video.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Teching In

anyone besides me notice that most 600-1000+ supra's run just about the same 1/4th? or is that just me
Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

900 rwhp with fuel/turbo mods on a stock longblock isn't exactly done very often on an LT1... Plus so many people here would lose to half of the Supras out there that all they can do is run their mouth and inflate the number of Supras that are improperly set-up... The time spent on talking **** about them should be spent on modding your car to beat them.

...again though, that "900rwhp" isnt worth nothing if it still runs shitty times. The point is not about the horsepower - I do not race dynos - but about the times. 900hp may sound impressive on paper, but it means nothing to me if the car is stuck in 11s still.

The F1 car was quite possible the worst comparison possible. Very select precise gearing, ~1k pound weight, huge extremely sticky tires, and perfectly dialed in suspensions. I do not see what that has to do with street cars.

I guess if you are into roll racing its cool and all, but I would not brag about an 800+hp car still in double digits.

To each his own though I guess *shrug*. Last I checked though tracks don't allow rolling starts.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

The time spent on talking **** about them should be spent on modding your car to beat them.
...as should the time spent heeping praise, deifying, worshipping, and nutswinging from them be spent for the same purpose...

J/K (you know I'm only busting on you, and you're not half as bad as some on here about this!!)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94Z28Joe
one of his friends said he is running like a 110mm turbo or some **** like that
One of his friends is retarded.

Quick Reply: 700rwhp supra vs LT1