Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slipping the clutch at 6k rpms just sounds like bad idea for so many reasons
Old 11-13-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon guys. Are you seriously gonna tell me guys shouldn't test the limit of their engine and try to create new records of power?

Woon's Supra that was 1320Rwhp on a stock block... or Marco's 1500+ hp Supra... I guess aren't very desirable. You know before them the record was 1240rwhp, before him 1200rwhp...1150rwhp... and now plenty that are doing 1000rwhp on stock blocks.. Must be a lot of factory freaks out there.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well you need to learn how to launch the S2000 then . If you slip the clutch at about 6,000rpm, you're never out of the powerband.

Well if you drive your S2000 that way as my friend did be prepared to pay for many broken parts up to and including transmissions,axle shafts and drivelines.

And unless S2000's weigh 1,000 lbs 240 at the flywheel even if it had 266 instead of 166 lb ft would still never excite me.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Finite1
C'mon guys. Are you seriously gonna tell me guys shouldn't test the limit of their engine and try to create new records of power?

Woon's Supra that was 1320Rwhp on a stock block... or Marco's 1500+ hp Supra... I guess aren't very desirable. You know before them the record was 1240rwhp, before him 1200rwhp...1150rwhp... and now plenty that are doing 1000rwhp on stock blocks.. Must be a lot of factory freaks out there.

So whats the point of talking about money no object rolling R & D budget shops cars? When I am racing with my stock block N20 Vette and someone with a 511 ci LSX blows me off by 10 car lengths do I say you won but I had a stock block so I won?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by SS101
slipping the clutch at 6k rpms just sounds like bad idea for so many reasons
My mom has an '03 S2000... I've been beating the **** out of it for over 2 years now, on a regular basis. Only maintenance has been oil changes and a timing chain tensioner (under warranty). Still on the stock clutch. I even tried to 7,000 clutch-sidestep twice, just to see what it was like
Old 11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

never said a damn thing about it not being desirable, just not a really great idea. testing the limits of "anything" is a great way to end up with a a broken "anything" that ends up damaging EVERYTHING else. can it be done, yes; is it done, yes; is it the best idea...let common sense be your guide.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

My mom has an '03 S2000... I've been beating the **** out of it for over 2 years now, on a regular basis. Only maintenance has been oil changes and a timing chain tensioner (under warranty). Still on the stock clutch. I even tried to 7,000 clutch-sidestep twice, just to see what it was like
(sigh)...and i'm sure other people could bring out dozens of examples of how they abuse their cars constantly with no ill affects but that still doesnt make it a good idea. lets be honest here...be all know that abusing cars is not a good way to make it last, if you beat the odds then i'm happy for you (legitimatly), but it's still not a bright idea.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you prefer it to your Mustang? Don't get me wrong I like the car and the feel of it, just not a big fan of the Honda powerband! And not to be offensive but two 7,000 rpm clutch dumps in 2 years it driving it really nice compared to how I drive my cars!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
***Repost Police***

(sigh)...and i'm sure other people could bring out dozens of examples of how they abuse their cars constantly with no ill affects but that still doesnt make it a good idea. lets be honest here...be all know that abusing cars is not a good way to make it last, if you beat the odds then i'm happy for you (legitimatly), but it's still not a bright idea.
I drive it that way because my past experiences with Hondas have told me that they can take the beating with the proper maintenance. There's a difference between "abuse," and "hard driving." I just drive hard.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never said a damn thing about it not being desirable, just not a really great idea. testing the limits of "anything" is a great way to end up with a a broken "anything" that ends up damaging EVERYTHING else. can it be done, yes; is it done, yes; is it the best idea...let common sense be your guide.
Money. I guess that guy in Australia building the huge twin turbo LSX block rated at 2500hp will likely be safe. No need for anyone to try to break records. Sand bag it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Do you prefer it to your Mustang? Don't get me wrong I like the car and the feel of it, just not a big fan of the Honda powerband! And not to be offensive but two 7,000 rpm clutch dumps in 2 years it driving it really nice compared to how I drive my cars!
I was THIS close to getting an S2000 instead of this car. I can say with 100% confidence that I would have had less trouble... BUT I like torque too much. If the S2000 had a V6 I think it would be pretty close to perfect. And plus I can drive my mom's anytime I want so there was no point in getting another one. So in answer to your question, it depends on the type of driving I'm planning on doing... some days I take the Mustang, some days (especially beautiful days like this) I take the S2000.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why I loved my Cobra vert so much, V8 DOHC that likes high rpm and IRS. It was very reliable with bolt ons and a slightly raised (7200 rpm) redline!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So whats the point of talking about money no object rolling R & D budget shops cars? When I am racing with my stock block N20 Vette and someone with a 511 ci LSX blows me off by 10 car lengths do I say you won but I had a stock block so I won?
You seem to be missing the point. My friend on the east coast actually raced and was in Woon's Supra. He dragged the car and raced on highways.. and yeah he was using c16 therefore he was pushing 35+ psi.. making his car 1200rwhp during those runs. Since the car was daily driven, it was usually at 850rwhp on 93 oct.. soo...

They are testing the limits of 2jz engine. They are daily driven, reliable, and hold a beating to drag, and highway passes... I could give a **** if anyone respects the fact, but you give credit where it is due.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this is sad that people forget this but us Americans were making stupid powerful turbo 6's before the 2JZ-GTE was even a gleam in its engineers eyes!
I used to be an import guy before I could afford my dream car so I know quite a bit about what the Supra's can do. I still preferred my FD to my friends Supra Turbo because of the light weight and the handling. My point is simply that pushing a stock block to 1,000 to the tire is not done as easily as most people assume. There are alot of import cars out there that would blow my Vette off the road, but anything can be made fast. Its very simple, call a reputable tuner. Tell them you want 1,000 to the tire, all the make or model of car does is decide wether you write a bigger or smaller check.
Yeah only if it was so easy to just add forced induction to make big power.. High compression cars just add forced induction and make the same power as what Supra's have. The point is it is a I6 with a Single turbo that is capable of making up to 1500rwhp and being daily driven... yeah.. soo until one of your 6 cylinders does that.. then don't comment about not being a big deal.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah only if it was so easy to just add forced induction to make big power.. High compression cars just add forced induction and make the same power as what Supra's have. The point is it is a I6 with a Single turbo that is capable of making up to 1500rwhp and being daily driven... yeah.. soo until one of your 6 cylinders does that.. then don't comment about not being a big deal.
I still dont understand where that gets you in the real world aside from talking a big game. You won't find a lot of us looking for horsepower records on stock components because its one of the most useless, pointless things you can do. Some people are more concerned with racing than looking for something to brag about.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
I still dont understand where that gets you in the real world aside from talking a big game. You won't find a lot of us looking for horsepower records on stock components because its one of the most useless, pointless things you can do. Some people are more concerned with racing than looking for something to brag about.
I can't count the number of times I've heard guys on this site talking **** about how little 2V 4.6s can take "on stock internals." So I'd say some people care about what you can push the stock stuff to
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Woon ran low 8 and Marco ran a low 8 quarter. No good?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't count the number of times I've heard guys on this site talking **** about how little 2V 4.6s can take "on stock internals." So I'd say some people care about what you can push the stock stuff to
Seriously, all of a sudden accomplishing a record isn't appreciated and should be shunned. I always read guys on here wanting to make a record in various aspects, whether it be the "cam-only automatic hp record" or the "stock cube bolt-on 1/4 record" or whatever the hell record. Wtf.

Taking a stock motor and making a record for your car genre and manufacturer is somthing to be proud of.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Woon ran low 8 and Marco ran a low 8 quarter. No good?
So your going to mention the rare obscure Supra's that run 8's, and forget about all the American cars that have been running in the 7's for many, many years?

IMO I race to win, it doesn't matter if I lost because I have a stock block. I still lost

And 1/4 mile times aren't everything hell I could put a Fox body into the 8's or 9's for just the price of admission on a nice Supra.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This conversation we are all having has been had many, many times. I feel just like I felt over at SVT Forums and Mustang Forums when I decided to buy my Vette! You know one pet peeve is stock FI car people bragging about how much power they can do on stock internals vs a N/A car. Its not even the same league nor are the engines built for the same purpose. I would hope a turbo car would have internals that would handle more hp than from the factory. I can't wait until the ZR-1 and the LS9 come out and guys are pushing 1,000 to the tire on half the psi!.....easily...tune/KB/exhaust.

Quick Reply: 700rwhp supra vs LT1