Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra crashes while messing with me

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every car i own (80 camaro, my 95Z and my 2000 trans am) i bought myself. working three jobs through high school and fixing peoples cars on the side, i was making some damn good money. not to mention i found deals on all my cars.
it wasnt easy, but i moved out here into my grandmothers house to care for her (she passed now) and she lived in orland, a rich neighborhood with high school where everyone drives lexus or mercedes. i was the kid in high school showing up in camaros, and caught alot of **** for it, but i never did lose a race with anyone from school.

with hard work, an understanding girlfriend lol i was able to make something of myself, and make myself happy with material items already.
thanks by the way to everyone who said i did the right thing.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're a real stand-up guy to hang around with him. That sucks to hear that 1. he was being an idiot and 2. that's one less of the best Mustangs ever made on the street. At least the guy is alright.

Good job man.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

thank you, appreciate that.
i agree its a shame such a nice car had to be wrecked. not even a mustang guy and i love the way those cobras sound, and they way they look. havent driven one yet, but hopefully some day lol.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey LT1SC95Z are you the guy who wed meet up at coaches corner on sunday, if so congrads on the new Trans Am, can't wait to see it. Ands about the guy with the cobra I know exactly who your talking about, don't know his name but see him all the time.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Teching In

everyone seems to know or think they know that guy
yeah its jeff from there. miss the sun and the shows.
im selling the TA after winter, but thanks. ton more work done on the 95
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1SC95Z
every car i own (80 camaro, my 95Z and my 2000 trans am) i bought myself. working three jobs through high school and fixing peoples cars on the side, i was making some damn good money. not to mention i found deals on all my cars.
it wasnt easy, but i moved out here into my grandmothers house to care for her (she passed now) and she lived in orland, a rich neighborhood with high school where everyone drives lexus or mercedes. i was the kid in high school showing up in camaros, and caught alot of **** for it, but i never did lose a race with anyone from school.

with hard work, an understanding girlfriend lol i was able to make something of myself, and make myself happy with material items already.
thanks by the way to everyone who said i did the right thing.
I hear you man im also 18 and i work my *** off for my toys just like you. Its worth it though. I got the two in my sig and a 91 cadi. Hopefully going to pick up a c5 in the spring if the nova is all done! That hard work pays off big time
Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Good work doing the right thing, I'm honestly surprised you didn't get harassed by the cops and accused of racing him.
x2 around this area the cops are getting so bad people have been given street-racing tickets for simply pulling next to someone else to talk.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Teching In

i was surprised too, but who knows, maybe the guy said he lost it or something, because im known around here by the police. doesnt help i participated in a car show at their station lol.
but i was accused once for talking to a guy through my window. was in my 80 camaro and the guy next to me had a beautiful, red with black lemans stripes ss 396 chevelle. was talking to him about it, lights on and both of us asked to pull into a gas station. when the cop came up to me, he asked me if i saw him, and i should know better. "officer, this is a 305, in other words....i have no power, i could outrun my 60ft time, i wasnt going to race i was merely talking"
thankfully he was a car guy and understood, all original cars, with a stock 305 dont go around racing a big block chevelle lol.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1SC95Z
i live near chicago, and right now the roads are very slick. I took my DD 2000 trans am out to go return a movie, and a white cobra comes up next to me at the light. revving and revving, and i roll down my window
"its way too slick out to race man, besides this is the slow one"
he laughs like a cocky ***** and says bullshit. egging me on by revving.
light turns green he guns it and spins, and goes side to side, catches some traction and rips through the light, shifted and the back end swung out horribly and he slammed his passenger door into a light pole at about thirty.

i got up to the car and made sure he was ok, called the police for him and everything, and waited til they got there. he was probably mid thirties, said his name was jim. white cobra, 03-04 and looked stock. i felt bad for him but i mean, how damn stupid could you be?
im 18, shouldnt i be the dumb *** that wrecked my car messing with someone, instead of using the proper judgement?
just thought i would share
Just another guy that ran out of talent.

I haven't heard about it on my local SVT board. He must not be a member or he's too embarrassed. What a shame. With the weather we've been having lately, it's not a good time to mess around on the streets.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

I almost went sideways on DRY road trying to put a bus on a friends 350Z (took him to the shop to pick it up). Ever since then, I have been real easy on the pedal from a stop, especially with rain.. hell, even then it wants to break loose with a light tap; but my tires have low tread.

Hopefully he learns the lesson.

And I think you're the first post I read today here that didn't start with... "So I'm heading to my gf's house". I guess everyone goes to their girlfriends when they happen to street race.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Sad to hear, way to stay there and make sure everything was ok. I would assume he hadn't had the car for too long since most know it doesn't take much on a warm day to break loose on the street, let alone in the winter weather.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by About2Bite
Sad to hear, way to stay there and make sure everything was ok. I would assume he hadn't had the car for too long since most know it doesn't take much on a warm day to break loose on the street, let alone in the winter weather.
+1. I nearly wrecked mine when I first got it, when it was only pullied. Now I don't even get it out if it's cold out, let alone wet.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, I can imagine 150-200rwhp makes a pretty big difference. I was drifting my mom's Corvette in the rain when I was 16, and I routinely go sideways (on purpose) in this car. But if my car was 450rwhp instead of 267, I doubt I'd be doing that as much
Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

FLA02TA posted something about how everyone is always heading to a girlfriends house when they get races. i know it happens to me because im there amost daily and she lives a good 40 minutes from my house, and i have to travel down more than a few busy roads, it being all urban around me. ive had more races back and forth than i can count. one time racing four other cars. they would take turns seeing who could take me on, while the other two would race to see who was next. a TL, celica with nitrous and bolt ons, and some sort of mercedes and an 07 impala ss. went back and forth for about ten miles, and i never lost after racing everyone. guy in the celica was the cool one who stopped to talk, was as shocked as i was about the events that had played out....he even said it was like Fast and the furious...figures from a celica driver lol.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i'm punching it from a stop in the wet, i let ASR work out the traction issues.
same goes for corners from a stop.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Launching!

light pole 1..........Cobra 0
Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
light pole 1..........Cobra 0
thats good stuff^^^
Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, that guys an idiot...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it just me or does everybody seem terrified of the the thought of breaking traction? Seems like to me the guy got in over his head. He didn't know how to drive. Spinning or breaking traction wether it be wet or dry isn't quite the crisis everybody is making it out to be if you know what your doing. My first car was a little s-10 and I loved driving down gravel roads just so I could hang it out sideways. Looked like a damn rally event with that little s-10.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

breaking traction is fun but dangerous. on a gravel road is one thing. breaking traction while messing with someone on the busiest intersection of a town of 64000 people is quite another.