Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Blackbird39 (06 STi 360whp) vs Yellowsierra (06 GTO 438 whp)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
I wasn't given it any slack! I was actually getting alittle wheel spin from second to third but stayed in it. If the runs get any closer Im going to order a wet kit.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......... yes, yes, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......

LOL that would be awesome dibs on first ride
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Well IMO I have the best Tuner/builder in the Subaru aftermarket: Boxer4racing. But a big part of the issue here is blown out of proportion dyno #'s with the EVO's & STi's. They are 4cyl engines and it takes careful planning and intuitive building to make good hp out of them.

Seems like everybody is claiming huge hp #'s and "only" xx psi. Hell I don't even want to claim 360whp even tho I have a mustang dyno slip saying that my car did pull that. My car is a very strong running car for 19psi and I attribute that to the expertise of Boxer4racing. They only look at Dyno #'s as a tuning tool, not as the end all.

Truthfully the AWD dyno's are still in their infancy and nobody really knows how much to correct for drivetrain losses. When people dump 4-6k into engine mods they don't want to hear oh you put down 300whp. So these dyno owners are influenced to correct the numbers which just hurts everybody.
ya but your 360 whp on the mustang dyno would be close to 390 whp on a awd dynojet
Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold on, guys. I wasn't calling BS or anything. I was just surprised, that's all.

The Mustang dyno changes things. You could be making a bit more than this guy was. Plus, like I said, I don't know the driver situation. And we all know anything can happen on the street.

Plus, yes. The GTO could still have weighed about 250 more than me if it weighs 3900 lbs, so that could make up the power advantage he has on me.

Again, good runs.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Well IMO I have the best Tuner/builder in the Subaru aftermarket: Boxer4racing. But a big part of the issue here is blown out of proportion dyno #'s with the EVO's & STi's. They are 4cyl engines and it takes careful planning and intuitive building to make good hp out of them.

Seems like everybody is claiming huge hp #'s and "only" xx psi. Hell I don't even want to claim 360whp even tho I have a mustang dyno slip saying that my car did pull that. My car is a very strong running car for 19psi and I attribute that to the expertise of Boxer4racing. They only look at Dyno #'s as a tuning tool, not as the end all.

Truthfully the AWD dyno's are still in their infancy and nobody really knows how much to correct for drivetrain losses. When people dump 4-6k into engine mods they don't want to hear oh you put down 300whp. So these dyno owners are influenced to correct the numbers which just hurts everybody.
Great post!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brian06eleanor
ya but your 360 whp on the mustang dyno would be close to 390 whp on a awd dynojet
Thanks man but I would never claim 390whp. With the knowledge that I have of these cars I just don't believe my mods would support that. With that said I do believe that the choice of mods I made work very well together with almost no lag over stock. That is what building/tuning these cars is all about: real world performance : not making dyno queens.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Hold on, guys. I wasn't calling BS or anything. I was just surprised, that's all.

The Mustang dyno changes things. You could be making a bit more than this guy was. Plus, like I said, I don't know the driver situation. And we all know anything can happen on the street.

Plus, yes. The GTO could still have weighed about 250 more than me if it weighs 3900 lbs, so that could make up the power advantage he has on me.

Again, good runs.
It's cool man with all the BS floating around about dyno numbers it's hard to make sense of it all. Yellowsierra is good driver and I would say I am fairly decent as well. His power to weight ratio is 8.9/1 yours is 9.1/1 mine is 9.1/1 so based on that it should equal close roll races.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*cough* Also look into Topspeed tuning. *cough*

you get into alot of races man!! nice death, good to see the 20g holding up.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaSTi
*cough* Also look into Topspeed tuning. *cough*

you get into alot of races man!! nice death, good to see the 20g holding up.
Well I don't want to put down on them until all the facts are in. But it does seem like they are doing the EVO STi community a disfavor with some of the tunes and exagerated #'s they are putting out.

I actually went thru a dryspell for races until recently I ran into some cool guys in my area. I love the 20g, I know I could get more hp out of a rotated mount 35r but I think it would ruin the car to have that much lag. I still have great throttle response thru the curves and it's got enough top end to keep me close with some great performers like built WS6's and GTO's.

Last edited by Blackbird39; 12-21-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Teching In

from what ive seen with topspeed their hit or miss. one great car one not so great car
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian06eleanor
from what ive seen with topspeed their hit or miss. one great car one not so great car

Are we still planning anything for tommorow? IF not maybe we should wait a month or so intill the weather is beter and the temps alittle warmer.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Are we still planning anything for tommorow? IF not maybe we should wait a month or so intill the weather is beter and the temps alittle warmer.
I'd be willing to go tomorrow but I wont have a camera mount so no vid jTo tell the truth I hate giving away a major portion of my arsenal in these roll races: ie the AWD launch. I know these roads and temps are in no way the best conditions for street tires, hell even I can spin badly.really it would be better to wait for better road conditons and maybe even take it to the track for a true comparison with ET's and traps thru a well prepped 1320.

I have universal ebay camera mount on order, which should be here around the first. I'll get it figured out and we'll get some good vids when conditions improve lol. Month is a long time don't be thinking about that wet system too much now.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be willing to go tomorrow but I wont have a camera mount so no vid jTo tell the truth I hate giving away a major portion of my arsenal in these roll races: ie the AWD launch. I know these roads and temps are in no way the best conditions for street tires, hell even I can spin badly.really it would be better to wait for better road conditons and maybe even take it to the track for a true comparison with ET's and traps thru a well prepped 1320.

I have universal ebay camera mount on order, which should be here around the first. I'll get it figured out and we'll get some good vids when conditions improve lol. Month is a long time don't be thinking about that wet system too much now.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting the truck done! I like my car the way it is but I wouldn't care to have a Wet kit for runs that get alittle to close! It looks like LSX motors respond well to nitrous... Im goin have to think about it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Teching In

ya lets wait a couple weeks, that way i can get my car back and youll have your truck so when i beat brandt and you lol just jk guys i can run the truck. as for the n2o lsx motors love it. if you decide to tho let me know i may can get you a direct port at a great price.