Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

(VIDEO) Turbo Integra Vs. 575whp HP61 Skittle

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by germeezy1
And by the way awesome #'s I am glad to hear from someone with big power!
I always have to come in and throw in my own perspective in gsr's threads cause I feel bad for the dude just trying to come in and share the vids... import or domestic I dont give a **** long as its fast... unless it sounds like a bumblee bee... then you need to gtfo haha.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Long time no see you grumpy old man!

Got anything going lately?
Grumpy old man? Who the hell you calling grumpy? Errr....I mean old? Eerrr.....ah.....the hell with it. Howdy.

Not a lot. Getting ready to retire next year....building a house....sending daughter off to college....just minor things in life....so car stuff has been on the back burner. The motor for my 99 is just about done. Still will *barely* get to the "high 300s" mark, but should make for a fun ride.

That's an awesome picture you have in your sig. Racing next year? I *hope* to spectate one or two races again, but its going to be crazy nuts in my little corner of the world!

Bob
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said anything was wrong with having under 400 to the tire, I just think that when you have a certain amount of power on a street car that you understand certain things.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Grumpy old man? Who the hell you calling grumpy? Errr....I mean old? Eerrr.....ah.....the hell with it. Howdy.

Not a lot. Getting ready to retire next year....building a house....sending daughter off to college....just minor things in life....so car stuff has been on the back burner. The motor for my 99 is just about done. Still will *barely* get to the "high 300s" mark, but should make for a fun ride.

That's an awesome picture you have in your sig. Racing next year? I *hope* to spectate one or two races again, but its going to be crazy nuts in my little corner of the world!

Bob

It is life. I am trying to get the racing bug out before I move into the wife/kids mode. LOL!

I would love to see how that new motor in your car runs. At least it will be driven to its full potential.

As for the Slobra in the sig. The motor is pulled getting another refresher for next season. .60's or bust. We shall see what happens and this time, I am planning to make sure the car stays OFF the back bumper!

If you make it to any NMRA events, just stop on by the trailer and take a closer look at the car.

Gray
Old 12-25-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I never said anything was wrong with having under 400 to the tire, I just think that when you have a certain amount of power on a street car that you understand certain things.

I know what Bob has said "power" wise may not be mind blowing, but I would say he has gone faster/driven better then 85% of the people on the board. Time to hop off his nuts, but I want you guys to know he is not a new kid on the block by any means.

Here is a vid when his car was just Bolt-ons. LOL

Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Could you please explain those "certain things" to me? I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

Gray...will do.

Bob
Old 12-25-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that looked slow... Chase car FT*W!
Old 12-25-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never Mind
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Teching In

I think its funny how people are so quick to give their opinion... but never have the decency to admit that they could be wrong. I agree it doesn't LOOK like we are traveling very fast. I've explained this phenomenon quite a few times..... yet somehow these people still have negative things to say. Well I'll say this... my car may LOOK slow..... but I bet not a single one of you naysayers could drive my car. I'd bet my left nut that you would bitch out and let off the gas..... or you would crash. Torque steer is a son of a bitch at 170mph!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by earl3
agreed, I love when clowns with high stall automatics and sticky tires come on here spouting off how dig races are the only true races because thats where the "skill" is -tell me what skill is involved in launching one of these cars? hmm lets see, apply brake, apply gas, release brake...wow.
Yes because launching a M6 is soo difficult. Apply clutch, apply gas, release clutch...WOW. That's way harder.....On the 10 bolt
Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Yes because launching a M6 is soo difficult. Apply clutch, apply gas, release clutch...WOW. That's way harder.....On the 10 bolt
You clearly havent tried it
Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
How many of you guys who claim its so easy have ever launched a high hp street tire car off the stall?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but launching a manual is still harder... that's why a lot of people with race-oriented setups go with an automatic in the first place.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, and one of the reasons for the auto is also consistency too.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Wrong. I have owned a few manual cars before. Plus I had a friend with a 99 M6 Z28 when I lived in Illinois. We used to go to Rt. 66 Speedway and let each other make passes in the others car just for a change of pace.

Launching was tricky but only because we were both still using street tires. But that was all about traction and it affected both our cars equally. Manual cars can be fun and take a little time to get used to. But lets not over state it. Learning how to clutch dump, speed shift or power shift is not rocket science. Especially when you install a shift light which many drag racers do (even auto guys with RMVB).
Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, but launching a manual is still harder... that's why a lot of people with race-oriented setups go with an automatic in the first place.
If you are referring to drag racing setups then I disagree. I think most go to autos because of the launching advantage you get with torque converters. But that has nothing to do with it being easy or difficult.

Big stalls tend to have big STR's (stall torque ratio) which multiplies torque at the launch. High stalls with big STR's will hit the rear tires extremly hard causing lower 60' times then a M6 counterpart can get. Then add to the mix that after the converter does its job on the launch you get very high shift extensions to keep you in your powerband. Then add to that mix that you only have to shift twice (with a powerglide you shift only once). And of course you take out any chance of a missed shift with an auto as well.

Add all that up and it just makes for a quicker and more consistent drag racing setup.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats on a drag setup car, that big torque hit even on a smaller stall like my 3200 Vig make it impossible to brake launch off the stall on the street. This is my first auto performance car so launching a stick for me would be much easier.

And yeah I need a shift light, it normally shifts around 6400~ rpm or so but the rev limiter isn't set until 7 and it make power up there.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 PM
***Repost Police***

If you are referring to drag racing setups then I disagree. I think most go to autos because of the launching advantage you get with torque converters. But that has nothing to do with it being easy or difficult.

Big stalls tend to have big STR's (stall torque ratio) which multiplies torque at the launch. High stalls with big STR's will hit the rear tires extremly hard causing lower 60' times then a M6 counterpart can get. Then add to the mix that after the converter does its job on the launch you get very high shift extensions to keep you in your powerband. Then add to that mix that you only have to shift twice (with a powerglide you shift only once). And of course you take out any chance of a missed shift with an auto as well.

Add all that up and it just makes for a quicker and more consistent drag racing setup.
I was a bit fucked up when I wrote that last night . I should have said "easier and/or easier to get faster times out of."
Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I was a bit fucked up when I wrote that last night . I should have said "easier and/or easier to get faster times out of."
That's cool

My wife is home and my youngest son (7) got a bunch of annoying toys for Christmas. So I'll be drinking myself into a coma later tonight
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Teching In

That's cool

My wife is home and my youngest son (7) got a bunch of annoying toys for Christmas. So I'll be drinking myself into a coma later tonight
What is with everything having to make noise nowadays. Don't we value imagination anymore. I swear if I had hair I would be pulling it out!!!! As we speak all I hear is beep beep beep....... Ka-ching....... schwooooooooooooooop! I'm about ready to tell my kids that for some reason they stopped making batteries.... so we can't buy anymore!!!!!