Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

68 stang fastback vs parents grocery getter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008 | 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Default 68 stang fastback vs parents grocery getter

ok so i was haing out with a bunch of my firends in a parking lot. as we were talking this guy in his 40s drives by in a sharp 68 fastback. he is crusing around the parking lot as slow as you can go to let everyone here his small cam. after about the 5th time he goes around the lot i decide to hop in my dads v6 toyota avalon which is pretty quick for a car like that. so me and 3 othere ppl get in the car verry comfortably and go run him down we get next to him doing about 40 and i give him the lets race hand wave he lookes at me and then drops it down a gear, the race is on as we start to pull on him hard my friends all laugh at him as we pass him. the funny thing is he keept going out of town. didnt even stop to talk,
Old 01-02-2008 | 03:06 PM

cool... wish people that have nice cars like that can atleast make them faster so they dont get beat by kids in moms car full of people lol. good race by the way i bet you hurt his feelings
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

bs....unless it was a 6cyl and he was a bad driver....will prolly be the only time I defend a ford
Old 01-02-2008 | 11:16 PM
On The Tree

lol im not joking when i said that the toyota avalon was quick iv raced one of my friends stock 95 z28 auto from a 40 kick and was at his rear bumper at 120 its not slow..
Old 01-03-2008 | 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
bs....unless it was a 6cyl and he was a bad driver....will prolly be the only time I defend a ford
I ran a similar stang fastback and when I tell you it was slow I mean a honda could have gave it a run. And I mean a stock one. I could tell he was running rich as hell and a 4 speed. He gunned it after a left turn with me behind him and I flew by so fast I swear it was hard to tell if he was running. The only way I knew was the thumbs up, loud *** glasspacks, and he barked the 1-2. If my classic was that fargin slow it wouldn't leave the garage until it was respectable. Maybe that's why alot of em sit in the garage.
Old 01-03-2008 | 08:23 AM
9 Second Club

I'm old school and love/own older muscle cars. With that said, the older unmodified muscle cars ran generally between 15s and 13s. Many classic muscle car owners think their cars are faster than the modern cars and are actually ignorant of the facts. They are educated on the older cars rather than new cars because they just don't care about new cars.

Modern technology is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-03-2008 | 09:22 AM
Launching!

^True.

Remember that kill in here awhile back where some guy in a 327 Nova calimed 46X WHP NA? On a street car 327CI?

Old SBFs are slow. With modern parts they can fly, but generally they are dog slow. They were generally slow in the late 60s too.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:26 AM
On The Tree

yeah im not ******* on ford by any means i just thought it was funny that the driver was driving it around like it had 400 hp revving up at anything that moved and then got beat by a family car full of ppl. it was one of the cleanest fastbacks iv seen ill give it that..
Old 01-03-2008 | 01:22 PM
Launching!

Yea, it's always unpredictable with older muscle cars. My dad's Mach 1 is pretty quick with the cleveland. It's almost stock with just ignition and other little parts. My brother's Challenger, however, is a beast. 440 and it'll kill my T/A. And my '79 Z is slower than a dead cat. 305 that's running really bad. It's just hit and miss with the originals. I'm guessing it could have been just a 289. Good kill btw. I'd love to line up against my dad's Mach and see how I fair.

Oh, and I do that with my Z. I drive it around and rev to see what I hear and to see how she's running. I'm not trying to show off or anything. It's just a way to test it. I have a grocery store parking lot across the street and I do it there sometimes. I go around the neighborhood and then to the parking lot. I get some looks like I'm showing off but I don't care what they think. I'm trying to fix my damn car. haha. From what you tell me, it could go either way, but he took the bait and lost so I'm guessing he was there for the show. Again, Good kill!
Old 01-06-2008 | 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Clevelands...now thats an underated engine...it kind of favors the ls1 in the fact that it has big heads. There are a couple around here that are flat out monsters.
Old 01-06-2008 | 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Clevelands...now thats an underated engine...it kind of favors the ls1 in the fact that it has big heads. There are a couple around here that are flat out monsters.
True that! I was really shocked how torquy his engine was. I just love watching the shaker rock back and forth. We're still deciding what we're gonna do with it. Whether a restoration or something really fun. I just can't wait till my '79 gets her engine and blower and showing him how GM does it lol.
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Ugh, I hate people that do that. Those older gentleman just want cars with lope and nothing more.
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

the new toyota camry v6 puts out around 268hp. the avalon puts out even more. I believe it, those cars haul some ***
Old 01-07-2008 | 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Nice kill, haha. Comparable to my Volvo story I posted yesterday, also against a Ford that was probably embarassed, although mine was two quicker cars against each other. I've heard those Avalons are fun to drive for what they are.