Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

When Street Racing Which Would You Prefer And Why A 6 Speed Or A Built Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008 | 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

so what if they cross up on you...that is fun...just drive through it or let out when your straight and get back on it....if you set your suspension up you won't have to worry about a manual.
Old 01-13-2008 | 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
IF I were a street racer...

From a dig: Built A4, without a doubt.

From a roll: M6, without a doubt.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-13-2008 | 06:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by unit213
That's your prerogative. I wouldn't have a dedicated track car unless
it ran 8's. 9 second cars are fun on the street, but impossible with
a stick.

I honestly don't think you'll understand what I'm talking about until you drive
a 6 or 700hp stick car. There's no reason for a car like that to be "track only"
but an automatic sure makes it power than can be used on the street.
You're right, it is personal preference. I'm not a "drag racer," street or track. I drive for the fun of driving, which = manual transmission. So yes I understand what you're talking about (as well as need be), and I'm saying that if I ever ended up with a car that was so powerful it HAD to have an automatic to hook up, it would be at best a street/strip machine. My true street cars will always be manual. And if that means I can't be the baddest on the block, so be it.
Old 01-13-2008 | 06:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You're right, it is personal preference. I'm not a "drag racer," street or track. I drive for the fun of driving, which = manual transmission. So yes I understand what you're talking about (as well as need be), and I'm saying that if I ever ended up with a car that was so powerful it HAD to have an automatic to hook up, it would be at best a street/strip machine. My true street cars will always be manual. And if that means I can't be the baddest on the block, so be it.
That's fair. I can respect that.
Old 01-13-2008 | 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Both have advantages and disadvantages for street racing.

The auto would be easiest to drive but with an auto you also have a set stall where a manual car can rev to any rpm from idle to redline.

I don't know exactly what level of cars you're talking about. I've seen and driven cars with both transmissions from stock cars to wheels up on the street leaving on nitrous off the transbrake on 33x16.5s.

I like driving a manual more but the auto is much more driver error safe.

Unless both cars dead hook the auto will have the advantage with more first gear and it is much easier to foot brake an auto than try to gauge the street you're leaving on and know to either side step the clutch or slip it and what rpm to leave at, with an auto you can do more conservative and get right into the throttle a lot faster, you side step the clutch on the street and the car blows the tires off you can kiss the race good bye quick if both cars are close to the same speed.

It's all an opinion.

Personally if it was a car I drove and street race I would go with a TH400 and Transbrake.

Here is a photo of the last car I built with mainly street fun in mind.
Attached Thumbnails When Street Racing Which Would You Prefer And Why A 6 Speed Or A Built Automatic?-mod_nova_copy1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2008 | 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

I have an auto and I fear not from a roll or a dig. 4000 stall and a 250 shot through a 3.50 gear bring on the pain. All i have to say is you can't out shift an auto nor does it make mistakes.

If you need that much control try a reverse manual valve body??
Old 01-14-2008 | 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FAST FREDDY
from a dig i like an automatic. from a roll i like a manual trans.

What the FK do you do for a living to have those cars in your sig!!!!
Old 01-14-2008 | 03:47 PM
Teching In

if you have to ask just get the auto. sure the auto is easier and more consistant but when you really learn how to drive a manual it becomes an adiction. I will try my hardest to keep a 6 speed in my car no matter what i do to it. and I am dreaming of putting a turbo on it but it will be a while.