Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Figure 8 Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 09:21 PM
Launching!

Default Figure 8 Race

My friend has a 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 180HP stock but his replaced absolutely everything in his car and it does 200HP b/c of his newer parts. I know for a fact that his car has an amazing handling, but straight line off course its nothing close to my car(Bone Stock 2000 T/A). He wants to challenge me for a Figure 8 race so he can get an advantage in his handling, i absoulty can and would demolish him in the staight line but the cornering i think he has the upper hand, you guys think i should do it? were putting $100 on this race too.... you think ill get enough lead in the straight so i can still keep it in the cornering?
Old 01-14-2008 | 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how well can you drive your car??? Is the better question here. Either way straight line you will take him but do you know what speed your car can take a corner at, over/under steer will make all the difference here. youv'e got the muscle in the car but you use to much in a turn and you will slide the back end around.
my vote you can do it but you gotta know how to drive your car.

good luck
Old 01-14-2008 | 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

make sure you hit the corners at the right speed and stay in the throttle easy until you exit...you'll beat him
Old 01-14-2008 | 09:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by D3VIL
My friend has a 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 180HP stock but his replaced absolutely everything in his car and it does 200HP b/c of his newer parts.
I never got past this part... HUH?
Old 01-14-2008 | 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Exactly..who replaces stock parts?? why not upgrade?
Old 01-14-2008 | 10:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
As you car gets older(his is a 2002) your car loses HP so when you upgrade your parts you gain HP, obviously not a ton but he literally had his entire ingine in middle of his living room in Lego pieces, so he replaced EVERYTHING in his car, and yesterday i saw him in a week and he was back in it but the inside wasn't still all put together. anyways... replacing old parts with new parts gets you HP
Old 01-14-2008 | 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
how well can you drive your car??? Is the better question here. Either way straight line you will take him but do you know what speed your car can take a corner at, over/under steer will make all the difference here. youv'e got the muscle in the car but you use to much in a turn and you will slide the back end around.
my vote you can do it but you gotta know how to drive your car.

good luck
Im actually an excellent driver, i've done many, MANY drifting classes with professional drivers(with 350Z's and EVO's) but, the fact that i know for a fact that my car is a muscle car not a handling car makes me question my odds. Comparing the Celica with the T/A in staight i demolish him but in the cornering comperison i dont think the Celica can "Demolish" me but diffenitly has the edge!
Old 01-14-2008 | 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As you car gets older(his is a 2002) your car loses HP so when you upgrade your parts you gain HP, obviously not a ton but he literally had his entire ingine in middle of his living room in Lego pieces, so he replaced EVERYTHING in his car, and yesterday i saw him in a week and he was back in it but the inside wasn't still all put together. anyways... replacing old parts with new parts gets you HP
please tell me your friend is not serious....

replacing stock parts will not, i repeat will not raise horsepower you will be right back where you started. Now if you buy aftermarket parts ie an CAI, Exhaust, Headers, and the rest of your basic bolt ons yes you will free up restircted horsepower. then it all makes since. tell your boy to quit messing around and buy an f-body
Old 01-14-2008 | 10:55 PM
***Repost Police***

My 152k mile bone stock Integra GS-R recorded the fastest time I (or anyone else I have talked to) have ever seen... and it put down 142whp (low I know, but spot on for a brand new GS-R) with 189k miles. He gained absolutely zero horsepower over stock. Sorry.
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

If you can drive, I say you'll take him....unless he's a better driver. Too many variables with those cars. Do it and get it on video, then post up!
Old 01-15-2008 | 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Yea deff post a video of it..im curious to see how u do and how exactly you guys set up this figure 8 race
Old 01-15-2008 | 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow who ever told you this is not very smart. You end up back where you start...he wasted his money
Old 01-15-2008 | 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Im actually an excellent driver, i've done many, MANY drifting classes with professional drivers(with 350Z's and EVO's) but, the fact that i know for a fact that my car is a muscle car not a handling car makes me question my odds. Comparing the Celica with the T/A in staight i demolish him but in the cornering comperison i dont think the Celica can "Demolish" me but diffenitly has the edge!
did you just say you drifted an AWD car?? Were you learning to drift in the snow?
Old 01-15-2008 | 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hrmmm The only thing I gathered is you are racing a stock *** car that DOES NOT have 200hp. Your car really shouldnt handle that bad. This isnt 196x. F bodys can turn.
Old 01-15-2008 | 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe it's one that's been converted? I think a few of the guys have been doing that w/ the Subaru and the Evo. But I'd figure it would be a waste of a car to eliminate the AWD aspect.

Depending on the size of the course, you could win it. He might have you more on the cornering aspect, but it is highly doubtful. The F-body doesn't handle that bad unless you're an idiot and don't know what you're doing.

And please, no dorifto stuff. Just grip race the booger and hope that your friends Celica stays together. Those motors weren't exactly the best of that lineage.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:44 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Well if you have experience with car cornering, you should know that your TA is not that bad. Its in fact good. Its heavier, of course, but unless the 8 is 100m long, he'll be 15cars behind because of the power issue.

Besides, I think its a dangerous thing to do if you guys dont do it on a circuit, because hes gonna be desperate to win and proves his point(that TA and Camaro dont hold the road that his car is better) so he will pushes his car to the limit, cut you off if he can and thats not good.

Unless you two are professionnals and a circuit, I wouldnt do it.

If you do it on open road, I'll tell your mom.
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Well if you have experience with car cornering, you should know that your TA is not that bad. Its in fact good. Its heavier, of course, but unless the 8 is 100m long, he'll be 15cars behind because of the power issue.

Besides, I think its a dangerous thing to do if you guys dont do it on a circuit, because hes gonna be desperate to win and proves his point(that TA and Camaro dont hold the road that his car is better) so he will pushes his car to the limit, cut you off if he can and thats not good.

Unless you two are professionnals and a circuit, I wouldnt do it.

If you do it on open road, I'll tell your mom.
yup, or maybe just settle it with time trial runs.
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:53 PM
Teching In

ive seen some drift races where guys in a GTO (05) and a camaro (02 ss) schooled some nissans, the extra power afforded them the victory because they knew how to use it properly.
if you know how to use your car, you got this.
but why bother grip racing? mod your car and go find something worth while.
Old 01-16-2008 | 04:46 PM
Launching!

1)
New parts can definitely net people more HP. Not just back to where they were new, but beyond that. Ever hear of port matching? You can bolt up a B18 intake mani to a B16 head on a B20 block and you just made a much stronger motor than any of those three with 100% OEM Honda parts. You can take an oem 2g dsm ex. mani and a die grinder and get a few HP easy. You can extrude hone most inatke manis and get some more power. Just port matching intake manis to their gaskets will help in some cases. Going to a stock 02 "LS1" intake will certanly help a 98. Whos to say the guy did not do some basic porting and use updated OEM parts? Shoot my DSM is almost totaly built up with OEM parts from various makes and models and I am about 100WHP over stock. The non-oem parts are not adding any power anyway, just relaibility.

You bench racers really ought to think a bit and learn something before calling people you know nothing about morons for working on platforms you know nothing about in situations you dont understand.

2)
This thread is lamer than the time lame went to lame town.

3)
WTF? Just race the guy. And to ask us how much of a chace you have without telling us the size of the damn 8 track (did you even ask?) is pointless. If is a 400 Yard strait you will be able to use strait line power more. If it's a 100 yard strait it might be a bit different. Any predicitions not taking this into account are useless. Any predictions more specific than what I just typed are probably BS without more info.
Old 01-16-2008 | 05:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Sparetire
1)
New parts can definitely net people more HP. Not just back to where they were new, but beyond that. Ever hear of port matching? You can bolt up a B18 intake mani to a B16 head on a B20 block and you just made a much stronger motor than any of those three with 100% OEM Honda parts. You can take an oem 2g dsm ex. mani and a die grinder and get a few HP easy. You can extrude hone most inatke manis and get some more power. Just port matching intake manis to their gaskets will help in some cases. Going to a stock 02 "LS1" intake will certanly help a 98. Whos to say the guy did not do some basic porting and use updated OEM parts? Shoot my DSM is almost totaly built up with OEM parts from various makes and models and I am about 100WHP over stock. The non-oem parts are not adding any power anyway, just relaibility.

You bench racers really ought to think a bit and learn something before calling people you know nothing about morons for working on platforms you know nothing about in situations you dont understand.

The OP said nothing about upgraded OEM parts. He said "newer parts." Which leads us to believe "newer stock Celica GT-S parts."

2)
This thread is lamer than the time lame went to lame town.
I agree
There are too many holes in the story for us to give a real opinion, and this thread should be closed anyway cuz you can't do these kind of threads

Quick Reply: Figure 8 Race