Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

pros and cons of mustangs and camaros

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: pros and cons of mustangs and camaros

nothing....I think it looks better than the mustang.....
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

281cipwr vs 346cipwr.......pretty much sums it up!!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

281cipwr vs 346cipwr.......pretty much sums it up!!!!

Indeed it does. Just think, 281... with the mods you have on your Mustang (Read that in the other forum, Blownchevy's kill on you), you'd be in the mid 12s if you had an LS1. Now, your hardly running 13s. If you want the speed, get an F-Body.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mustang vs. the f-body, the f-body outperforms the stang no contest. Unless you go 03 cobra you wil be seeing tailights in any stock late model mustang you get. I for one think the 03 cobra is a waste the mustangs big advantage was its cool sound and you cant hear a damned thing over that supercharger. Plus the thing's way overpriced. I would go F-body all the way and you can get a 98 model for a very reasonable price these days. The T/A looks better (to me) but the camaro gets the job done and often has a slightly lower price tag. If it's not about looking good and having a warranty thats valid the older mustang 5.0s are cheap to make fast. The whole thing is personal preference though.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:57 PM
7 Second Club

Mustangs = "good" car to just drive...don't care about real performance (daily driver, girls, men, etc...)
Thanks for clearing that up for me...

I have a "daily driver" that my wife/girl would love to whip your *** in if you lived here. To bad though........

...but since you don't then this is meaningless.
nothing personal .....your car may be fast....(what have your done to it....whats the hp and weight of it.... .....I know your thing says "one more cube than most of you and gas".....so I'm guessing you have a 351 Widsor with Nitrous...) .......... there are a really fast mustangs out there......

looking at out of the showroom....what do you get for your money.....the mustang is more of a ride around car than the f-body..... (250HP vs. 315HP)

F-bodies = not the best daily driver but have LOTS of performance potential
- Once again, I think the F-body is a great comfort and daily driver car (Even tho I'd rather keep it as a clean weekend car and let a cheepo car get beat up in parkin lots). I'm running mid, close to low 12's and drive my car everyday.
I drive my car every day and while its EXTREAMLY fun and I can't wait to go on the next trip to the store, even when it was stock it was not as comfortable to ride in as the mustangs (I test drove both before I baught my car).....

the mustang your actually sitting up on a seat with your legs down like being in a chair......

the f-body your sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you........

I like the "feel" of the f-body better when I'm out having fun but for DRIVING somewhere.....the mustang would be nicer....

since I was questioned on my "mustangs are good for men...."

here...I didn't write this.....the men did...:

http://channels.gay.com/living/auto/...tml?sernum=499

if you don't feel like reading it....I'll give you the first part that sums it all up.......

There's a certain charm about the Ford Mustang that makes it as suitable for gay men and women as the Mazda Miata, though the 'Stang's brand of charm is rather different. It's on the opposite end of the macho scale -- even more so in the butch Mach 1 and SVT Cobra arrays.
thats right.....the Mach 1 and Cobra only make it more fitting for men......... :p

now....I'm sure there are going to be 500 mustang guys going "WTF!!!! blah blah blah...." but hey.....don't scream at me....its the men you need to work on......

(seriously....no hard feelings....just screwing with ya... )
Hey man just wondering why your cruising the gay sites.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

The new 03 cobra coupe bottom of the line will run you 30-35k. that's cheap.
sorry but I checked a local Ford dealer this morning (waiting for a dental apointment) and the 03 cobra was in excess of $40K......

the only LS1 that i have ever liked was the 02 anniversary WS6. The yellow one with the black rims. That car is bad ***.
if that doesn't say "mustang owner"....nothing does......the yellow w/ black rims anniversary TAs are some of the ugliest cars around...... ....yellow.....

Hey man just wondering why your cruising the gay sites.
oh shoot.....you found out my secret.....

a guy in my club posted that link from another guy, who got it from another guy, who got it from another guy, etc.......all I know is it is REALLY FUNNY!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey look what's better than having a stock 12 sec car with a blower on it. And it has a warranty. You just cant beat that. As for the price being too high lets do a fair comparison here. The 02 camaro anniversary convertible fully loaded was way over 35k. The new 03 cobra coupe bottom of the line will run you 30-35k. that's cheap. Also why get a used car when you dont know what it's been through. And they have no warranty. Also the interiors of the f-bods are crap. And the only LS1 that i have ever liked was the 02 anniversary WS6. The yellow one with the black rims. That car is bad ***. I'd trade my car for one of those. later.
i'd trade a bullit in for an 03 cobra too. As for 35 k, i got my z28, ordered to what i wanted for 25,000, only option i didn't get was SS package or the 12 disk changer. I believe my opinion has some leverage b/c i have owned 2 mustangs, a 99 gt and a 95 cobra vert. At first i wasn't too impressed by my ls1, but after the imfamous 6000 mile break in period, i was like, damn this thing is pretty fast. Cant wait to see what happens when the cam is in . And you 9 sec 03 cobra has alot more than just a blowzilla (keen belle). The one i have heard of, in houston, has solid axle replacement and a butload of other things.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh and as for the warranty, why don't you ask a few pullied cobra owners about their waranty. Had a friend down south get turned down b/c the pulley had been tampered with.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

yea, they will void it, its only common sence. They stick a certain pulley on there for a reason. Adding more boost and you blow it up, is it their fault that you modded your car and it per-say, blew up? Nope. Lets see you mod your ls1 and try and get warranty work done (modded equally to adding more boost).. it will be denied also. GM wont cover your car if you modded it and blew it up.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard plenty of pullied ONLY 03 cobras getting their warranties denied for something as stupid as a broken half shaft, lol.... They're sweet cars, but changing pullies and what not to make them faster is going to void a warranty just as a F-body would technically have its warranty voided by something as stupid as a lid
Old 07-09-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I had heard of a guy around here that did the basic mods(pulley,chip,etc.) and then started getting the infamous "tick" in the engine. He returned it to bone stock. Brought it in to the dealer. Ford flew some guys in from Detroit, looked at the car(I'm talking forensic pathology here), and denied him warranty coverage due to the fact that they could tell that the chip had been altered and the pulley had been change. Ford has been cracking down on that stuff.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Let's see I had:

68 fastback nonrunning
72 mach 1
88 lx hatch t5
89 notch t5
92 gt t5
------------------------
With the newer Mustangs you are looking at flat 14.0's with gutless mph... like 101mph. You have a long way to go to hang with a bolton LS1 car, whether it has A4 or M6. My old 98SS M6 went 13.0@110mph on a 2.1 four years ago with airlid, filter, headers, catback and stock gear. I made as much power as a 4.6 GT with a supercharger.

I know the Bullitt is very cool looking, I look their looks a lot. But they are not LS1 fast at all.

New Mach 1, I have no idea, why would they in the low 13's?

03 Cobra, sorry, but I'll buy a used Z06 for the same money and enjoy much better styling and handling. O3 Cobra is just okay looking. Actually too bland looking for me.

If the new 04 Mustang looks like the silver and red prototypes that would be awesome. But there is no way I would ever get one 101-102mph trap speeds just don't do it for me. Sheeyit my old SS went 105mph stock.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys i know this is the wrong time for me to post this but whateva i dont care,ive actully been interested in buying an ls1 ...but first id have to be persuaded ..i already knwo they haul *** which is a factor ..but what else can you guys tell me about camaros that make them such great cars ? not ******* seriously want to know..ok like my stang its not that fast but it moves ...its very comfterable,no blind spots , easy to work on ..etc.. please let me know ..i see all you guys and you all seem very cool and know what the **** your talkin about so help me out thanx peace
Good kill!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just stated about the warranty b/c they were ranting about 9 sec 03 cobras with warranties.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont recall anyone ranting about 9 sec 03 cobras with warranties. I did say that these come with blowers, forged internal and they have warranties stock. But I still think that the 03 cobra is overall a much better bang for the buck vehicle than any LS1 or corvette. As for the bullitt not being LS1 fast at all, that's not entirely true. Has anyone here seen the latest issue of 5.0mustangs? That bullitt is faster than the pre 03 cobra. those guys got a 13.59 @ 102.5 . I never got my car to go that fast stock, but i wasn't a good driver. Later
I agree about the Cobra issues. I think it is a great bang for the buck, but I'd still rather spend 25k for an LS1 Z28 than 40k for a blown Cobra... The new Cobra has one big problem- it's too damn heavy. I don't mind the looks, I think it's cool that there isn't anything super flashy on it... it makes for more of a sleeper.

As for the Bullit being LS1 fast... ... of course a Ford magazine would rate it 13.6- but the newest Motor Trend, which I am holding in my hand right now says this...

Mustang GT Bullit- 265 horse, 14.1 @ 97.9MPH...
Mustang Mach 1 - 305 horse, 13.8 @ 102.5...

They're both damn slow, according to Motor Trend. The thing I noticed is that the Bullit sounds about right, but the Mach 1 should have been faster... oh well.

So according to this mag, they're both about as fast as an LT1 (if you trust Motor Trend)...

4.6 N/A Mustang =

...Oh yeah and let me add this in just to be fair- Motor Trend rates LS1 at 13.5 @ 107.3MPH...

Before the cool Mustang drivers get pissed let me also say that the i DO like the 5.0, I know a kid who used to work with me who has one, it's very nice but he has yet to do any major mods to it... and I love the 03 Cobra... I just can't stand the 96-02 4.6 liter naturally aspirated Stang engines... That's about it.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:26 PM
blownerator

ooooooooooooo boy, I see this one getting ugly.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:39 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have to side with TROLL on this one. Motor Trend's times suck in general.

As for the mid 13 sec pass that 5.0 milked out of that car - that's great! Now you have something to look forward to BULLITT. You also now know your absolute best stock time; 13.5 sec.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

As for 4.6 na stangs being gay? Where the hell have you been. There's this n/a stang here in houston running low 11's. yeah that's slow
yeah....thats a "mildly modified" (head/cam/bolt on) car....

why don't you go find out the price tag of everything he sunk into that car and then get back to us on how fast that thing really is (for what he has in it)......my guess is its going to be a BIG $$$$$......

yes 4.6 stangs are ......even modded ones.....for the money you poor into them you can make an F-body run like a raped ape.... :p

Also who says cobra's are 40k. I see them here for 36k. The dumbass that said that is crazy.
hey.....you talking to me.....

you heard me right.....$40K....checked the sticker with my own eyes.....its possible that you can get them for less but every dealership that I have checked out here in Phoenix has wanted above $40K......
Old 07-11-2003, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me jump in here.

Bullit go read this months (July) issue of 5.0 .

Heads+Cam+Exhaust+Intake+stroked=331hp@5300/348tq@4400 AT THE FLYWHEEL!! This coming from a Ford biased mag.

The others were right N/A 4.6=

Disclaimer: I like Fords. In fact I'll be buying a Fox-Bod soon. IMHO 4.6's are crap w/o a poweradder
Old 07-11-2003, 02:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey camaro kid, motor trend is a POS. Look at how slow the LS1 is on there. You can never trust those magazines except for 5.0mustangs mag. Alot of people on here say LS1's run 13.0's stock. That's about 5/10's off. As for 4.6 na stangs being gay? Where the hell have you been. There's this n/a stang here in houston running low 11's. yeah that's slow Also who says cobra's are 40k. I see them here for 36k. The dumbass that said that is crazy. Later.
Wait, so you just told me that Motor Trend's ratings suck (I agree)... but then you jsut said "People say LS1s run 13.0... they are 5/10 off"... so you just told me that LS1s would run 13.5, which is what Motor Trend rates them.

Way to contradict yourself.

About the 4.6 N/a running 11s, yes I know they can be fast. Some civics run 9s (as ridiculous as the that sounds), so obviously some 4.6s can run 11s. I was saying that they're not as good as LS1s, which is completely true. Take every mod that 4.6 driver did to his 281, and use it on the LS1, and I guarantee the LS1 would run 9s at the most.

I've checked price tags myself, I've seen no lower than 38k.

Oh and one more thing... "The dumbass that said that is crazy"... Take it easy on the insults, it's only healthy dispute in a car forum. Don't go overboard, man... I know you drive a Stang but that's no reason to get violent

Quick Reply: pros and cons of mustangs and camaros